Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

34 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I’m going to put Wilson in the same bucket as Hicks and Toviano - all guys we should stay in touch with, keep working, and if we have a strong season on the field, we might be able to close the deal in December. 

And if Sanders looks good at TE while we have a strong season we might be able to close the deal with Duce Robinson.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

A little inside trader info. Shelby is saying all the right things but behind the scenes things are a little more hectic. Older brother got signed with the Chargers. Little Sister is a two sport phenom as well. Parents are running all over the place trying to keep up. Dad goes with son. Mom goes with daughter whether its AAU basketball or club volleyball. Little sister has 4 more years of high school so Shelby picking somewhere close would be helpful in them keeping up despite what he is saying in the article. However, when he took his USC visit they asked him to bring the entire fam. Then the vball and bball coaches pulled little sister aside and told her they would give her a dual at USC. They can't officially talk to her due to her age but thats how it went down. So now you know why USC is a heavy lean. Despite that we still may get him. He announces on Sat at 1pm.

1st- I hope he commits to Texas. 

2nd- If I were Shelby, there is nothing that my parents could say or do to keep me in the state of Texas. Zero. Zilch. Nada. 

He’s got a brother in the NFL in LA?… are you fucking kidding me???

G O N E !!!

First Date: Would you want to come to the Chargers game at SoFi and sit in the family section? 

Hell, he could take THREE girls to the game.

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

2nd- If I were Shelby, there is nothing that my parents could say or do to keep me in the state of Texas. Zero. Zilch. Nada. 

G O N E !!!

First Date: Would you want to come to the Chargers game at SoFi and sit in the family section? 

His brother is a UDFA. tbd where he is/what his status is in a few weeks

• Hook 'Em 4

Nothing against Ty Shelby, but he’s an undrafted rookie free agent signee from Louisiana Monroe and any free agent signee is a long shot to make an NFL roster. He could be cut at any time, so relying on his presence in LA is not the sturdiest of foundations. I suspect there are stronger reasons for USC’s appeal. Based on his reported upside and our need at the position, I hope there’s a welcome surprise for us this weekend.

(My post was interrupted by a website update, so similar to Tommy’s thought above.)

(And if you type “undrafted,” autocorrect goes to “undead,” which is technically correct.)

• Hook 'Em 5

57 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Beamers are ugly, unreliable, and generally pieces of shit driven by Chads

1) Ugly…. Maybe not.

2) True!

3) Debatable 

4) My cousin “Chad” works at a Ford plant, so… 🤷‍♂️

Don’t know why no one made the connection between “Rings” and “Audis”.

37E811A5-58D9-4252-88E3-BA247A524BC3.thumb.jpeg.f0e09166b4a587c34547167100a0839b.jpeg

C8C5A737-9FBA-4C3B-B869-019CE3B410B3.thumb.jpeg.394fe0f93f49fa2176466254c69f3a30.jpeg

AD1A4CE1-592D-46A4-A489-005F0BD600A9.thumb.jpeg.cd2fb751b64051d343c862a8219035f8.jpeg

Yep. Getting him out of Jimbo's office without an aggy commitment likely means good news for Texas.
He didn't buy the extended warranty and paint protection, old Jimbo must be slipping. Maybe he needs to attend a sales seminar along with the young bucks on the lot?

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Nothing against Ty Shelby, but he’s an undrafted rookie free agent signee from Louisiana Monroe and any free agent signee is a long shot to make an NFL roster. He could be cut at any time, so relying on his presence in LA is not the sturdiest of foundations. I suspect there are stronger reasons for USC’s appeal. Based on his reported upside and our need at the position, I hope there’s a welcome surprise for us this weekend.

(My post was interrupted by a website update, so similar to Tommy’s thought above.)

(And if you type “undrafted,” autocorrect goes to “undead,” which is technically correct.)

I don't know enough about recruiting but Shelby feels like somebody Texas can flip even if he commits to USC. I know this sounds aggy but I think he's unique from other recruits that Texas has missed on. 

That's just me speculating off things I've read. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

A little inside trader info. Shelby is saying all the right things but behind the scenes things are a little more hectic. Older brother got signed with the Chargers. Little Sister is a two sport phenom as well. Parents are running all over the place trying to keep up. Dad goes with son. Mom goes with daughter whether its AAU basketball or club volleyball. Little sister has 4 more years of high school so Shelby picking somewhere close would be helpful in them keeping up despite what he is saying in the article. However, when he took his USC visit they asked him to bring the entire fam. Then the vball and bball coaches pulled little sister aside and told her they would give her a dual at USC. They can't officially talk to her due to her age but thats how it went down. So now you know why USC is a heavy lean. Despite that we still may get him. He announces on Sat at 1pm.

The volleyball scholarship offer is a crock. Even if it wasn't, the B1G travel schedule is going to be brutal.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

If he does get cut we need Dan Quinn to do Sark a solid and get him on the cowboys practice squad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

G O N E !!!

You hope he commits to Texas but if you were him you wouldn't? Odd take.

To hell with LA, that town sucks.

Austin is a much better city.

His brother will most likely be unemployed from the NFL soon.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

USC and UCLA going from visiting great weather cities to holy fuck it gets cold here. It's not like they travel very well anyway I guess.

I think

A) kids (rightly) care more about playing in big games than away game weather

B) half the Pac 12 has equivalently miserable gameday weather. The Arizona schools in September and the mountain schools + Wazzu in winter are no joke.

38 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

To hell with LA, that town sucks.

Austin is a much better city.

With no fandom taken into account, being a star on a good USC team is just about the highest quality of life in the NCAA.

My friends were teammates with Ous Mellouli, the gold medalist swimmer, at USC and they were partying with models in Venice and Santa Monica every weekend. Quadruple that fame and notoriety and lifestyle for a football player.

Obviously I'd pick UT because I like Texas, but fame turns heads.

• Hook 'Em 5

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

With no fandom taken into account, being a star on a good USC team is just about the highest quality of life in the NCAA.

My friends were teammates with Ous Mellouli, the gold medalist swimmer, at USC and they were partying with models in Venice and Santa Monica every weekend. Quadruple that fame and notoriety and lifestyle for a football player.

Obviously I'd pick UT because I like Texas, but fame turns heads.

I think you're overestimating the attraction of college sports in LA. Maybe things have changed in the last few years but I spend a long time in that scene and never once in all those years saw college athletes in the mix. There's a totem pole and they were not high on it.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I think you're overestimating the attraction of college sports in LA. Maybe things have changed in the last few years but I spend a long time in that scene and never once in all those years saw college athletes in the mix. There's a totem pole and they were not high on it.

Competition for fame is stiff in LA. Models, actors, 2 NFL teams, 2 NBA teams, 2 MLB teams. It's hard for me to imagine a football player in Austin wouldn't be more famous in Austin than LA. Take Bijan for example. The days of Reggie Bush Fandom in LA are probably long gone. Bijan is famous on what was a terrible Texas football team. In Texas, football is king. Not so much in California.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think

B) half the Pac 12 has equivalently miserable gameday weather. The Arizona schools in September and the mountain schools + Wazzu in winter are no joke.

A lot of warm weather residents welcome cold weather.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I think

Arizona has an avg. high of 97 in September and avg low of 68. Washington State (Pullman) has great weather in September, also.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Arizona has an avg. high of 97 in September and avg low of 68. Washington State (Pullman) has great weather in September, also.

In what world is an average high of 97 great weather? Even if it's a dry heat.

Wazzu was mentioned as a miserable winter destination - fine for summer/fall.

52 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Totally agree, they're not tearing up 1OAK every Tuesday night, but being a middling celebrity in LA is still a brighter spotlight and shinier social scene than almost any other blueblood/Playoff contender college can offer.

11 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Any other site corroborating this? I'm really hyped about Baxter but if we were the leader when he set up his commitment date I can't see that changing.

SuperK is usually pretty legit, so it is definitely something to monitor. We are going to have to recruit him through the whistle regardless. 

• Hook 'Em 1