Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

On 7/31/2022 at 9:52 AM, AP101S said:

The one that's not an acronym?

On 7/31/2022 at 9:58 AM, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

Do you prefer DE/LB or LB/DE?

Easier to type EDGE if you ask me.

Plus it is an acronym... Every Day Get Em

Church songs don't have a damned thing to do with it. 

Putting in my Gullette prediction right now:

If we get him, people will complain that he’s overrated, his film is unimpressive, and he’s injured.  Coaches should have worked harder for someone else.

If we don’t get him, people will complain that the coaches are lazy on the recruiting trail and have no plan at edge.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

If we get him, people will complain that he’s overrated, his film is unimpressive, and he’s injured.  Coaches should have worked harder for someone else.

If we don’t get him, people will complain that the coaches are lazy on the recruiting trail and have no plan at edge.

after seeing how much of a bluechip player Vasek was after he committed to ou.. i'd expect the same if Gullette goes elsewhere.. if he chooses us.. I foresee a lot of twitter idiots calling him a project 

16 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

This board has been high on Gullette consistently, and aggy board mods have consistently said their staff wants him badly. Idk if this is the player to expect that much negativity with.

27 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

Don't think you've been reading the room correctly on the "if we get him" prediction. I can see the latter, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

Genius.  You think USC is the only one who did this if she is that good?  Schools have doen this forever.  Darrell Royal promised Tommy Nobis his Brother's would have scholarships to UT....guess what Bud Wilkenson promised the same thing at OU.  Same thing with Earl Campbell and countless other recruits.  If she is as good as is being stated every college with a volleyball team is doing it, but it doesn't matter if she is that type of player she can probably pick where she goes.  If she is a marginal or borderline level recruit.....that's where the offer has actual value. It's harder to get a volleyball program to play ball on a player they don't think will contribute....

I love people outside of the situation telling people in the know what did or did not happen. I am telling YOU what happened and why USC is on the board. No one else made that offer. And now you are questioning whether she is as good as being stated? Her touching 10.5 on video can easily be found online. Houston Skyline is the best volleyball program in the city. They literally pluck away everyone's best players. Go look at their 15's top team and you will see a pic of her on it. They have been begging her to come over for a couple years now but mom didn't want to make the commitment(drive), as they are way across town. She had been playing club close to home. However, with Braylan soon to be gone they can start focusing on her so she just took their invite for this upcoming season. She didn't even have to try out, and everyone in the city is trying to get on that team. You don't play top team for Skyline unless you are uber talented. Ask Madi Skinner or her sister. She also just made Friendswood's varsity vball team as a freshman which is a big accomplishment with the talent and lack of senior movement they have this year. Oh, she is also ranked number 45 in the country in the 26 class in basketball. It should be pretty obvious at this point that I am extremely close to the situation. Like, "had I asked when I saw them last night they probably would've told me" close. But being where I attended college I didn't want to press the issue. Also, Pops Shelby played for pig so my swaying is not appreciated anyway.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This board has been high on Gullette consistently, and aggy board mods have consistently said their staff wants him badly. Idk if this is the player to expect that much negativity with.

It’s Surly. I will bet no matter what happens, someone will bitch. 

17 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I love people outside of the situation telling people in the know what did or did not happen. I am telling YOU what happened and why USC is on the board. No one else made that offer. And now you are questioning whether she is as good as being stated? Her touching 10.5 on video can easily be found online. Houston Skyline is the best volleyball program in the city. They literally pluck away everyone's best players. Go look at their 15's top team and you will see a pic of her on it. They have been begging her to come over for a couple years now but mom didn't want to make the commitment(drive), as they are way across town. She had been playing club close to home. However, with Braylan soon to be gone they can start focusing on her so she just took their invite for this upcoming season. She didn't even have to try out, and everyone in the city is trying to get on that team. You don't play top team for Skyline unless you are uber talented. Ask Madi Skinner or her sister. She also just made Friendswood's varsity vball team as a freshman which is a big accomplishment with the talent and lack of senior movement they have this year. Oh, she is also ranked number 45 in the country in the 26 class in basketball. It should be pretty obvious at this point that I am extremely close to the situation. Like, "had I asked when I saw them last night they probably would've told me" close. But being where I attended college I didn't want to press the issue. Also, Pops Shelby played for pig so my swaying is not appreciated anyway.

dude, quit being soft and tell him to go to UT and you will personally fund his and his sisters NIL accounts

On 8/3/2022 at 6:39 AM, texifornia said:

I think

A) kids (rightly) care more about playing in big games than away game weather

B) half the Pac 12 has equivalently miserable gameday weather. The Arizona schools in September and the mountain schools + Wazzu in winter are no joke.

The Arizona Schools in September?  You mean when its still like 100 degrees here or close to it, and we are begging for Summer to end?

I would be more concerned about the Jet lag the USC/UCLA athletes would experience flying across the US every other week.  Would think that would get old really fast..

The dryer winter cold in the mountains is way different than the wet/ freezing cold in the Midwest that cuts right through you so it may have some affect..

Edited by Azbadlands
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fumbles said:

This is a stupid take. The vast majority of the board is high on Gullette. The two services that have updated his ranking lately have him in the top 100 nationally and tOSU recruited him extremely hard. He’s a stud, and his ACL will be fine by the time he enrolls this winter. 

27 minutes ago, NoName said:

did on3 share anything about why they bumped Gullette to #51 in the country in their recent update?

image.png.2852f04956b5f4663ad8aee28fb5de8d.png

Bobby Burton said he was the anchor of his team’s 4x100 at 225 LBs and he long jumped 22 feet. He’s an elite athlete and has NFL potential at edge. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 7/31/2022 at 11:26 AM, RomaVicta said:

We'll see if Gullette joins the absolute flood of top players whom have already committed to A&M this weekend. 

If they let him jump in the rooftop pool and have some leftover "BBQ" chicken in a bowl of congealed butter, we're toast.

Every time I see that nasty chicken mentioned I get nauseous. 

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a stupid take. The vast majority of the board is high on Gullette. The two services that have updated his ranking lately have him in the top 100 nationally and tOSU recruited him extremely hard. He’s a stud, and his ACL will be fine by the time he enrolls this winter. 

Come on, now. Do you really think that it is beneath us to complain after a commitment?  I'll bet you within 10 minutes, I'll see a stupid post on this board excluding this one of course.

1 hour ago, Fumbles said:

Welcome to Surly. 

17 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

dude, quit being soft and tell him to go to UT and you will personally fund his and his sisters NIL accounts

They aren't hurting for money. Doubt that would do anything. Its at least 600k just to get in their neighborhood

46 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I think we found the Uncle.  There's always an Uncle

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Doubtful.  My daughter's team got slaughtered by them this year 🙂

We were 5-1 at Nationals on day 3 when my kid went down with a knee sprain(foot under net). That was the end of our season. It was a good run.

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

"ramping their NIL program up" JFC. As if NIL is something you 'ramp-up' or 'ramp-down' whenever the whim strikes you. Do these idiots realize how stupid their own writing sounds?

They know what’s going on, they just won’t say it out loud.

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Kind of funny to see the hedging on both sides from Gullette. The fact TexAgs or Gigem247 aren’t beating their chest tells me he didn’t tell the A&M staff yes because it would be out by now.

I think we get Gullette unless A&M makes a monster offer, and usually the TexAgs guys know when that’s happening. The fact that they’re not confident seems like a very good data point for us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I think we get Gullette unless A&M makes a monster offer, and usually the TexAgs guys know when that’s happening. The fact that they’re not confident seems like a very good data point for us. 

Wells and Roach both going to see him this week is also a data point. Roach said he is 80% confident which is basically 100% for him.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Wells and Roach both going to see him this week is also a data point. Roach said he is 80% confident which is basically 100% for him.

Eh. I don’t find that at all meaningful. Both those guys are clueless, especially as to whether aggy will be dropping bags on a guy. Wells was saying he was confident on Hill the day before he committed to A&M, and Roach constantly falls for BS players and parents tell him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I have this nagging thought that Toviano is more enticed to Michigan. That's probably because he's only taken an OV there, but I get the feeling that the silence from aggy and texas 995ers is more telling than anything.

If I've learned anything on the Surl lately, it's that a brisk 4-season climate is hard to compete with. 

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

I have this nagging thought that Toviano is more enticed to Michigan. That's probably because he's only taken an OV there, but I get the feeling that the silence from aggy and texas 995ers is more telling than anything.

A&M's been quiet on him because he skipped their pool party to go to LSU. I think at the end of the day, he's a guy that they decide they HAVE to get, a la Hill.