Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I love people outside of the situation telling people in the know what did or did not happen. I am telling YOU what happened and why USC is on the board. No one else made that offer. And now you are questioning whether she is as good as being stated? Her touching 10.5 on video can easily be found online. Houston Skyline is the best volleyball program in the city. They literally pluck away everyone's best players. Go look at their 15's top team and you will see a pic of her on it. They have been begging her to come over for a couple years now but mom didn't want to make the commitment(drive), as they are way across town. She had been playing club close to home. However, with Braylan soon to be gone they can start focusing on her so she just took their invite for this upcoming season. She didn't even have to try out, and everyone in the city is trying to get on that team. You don't play top team for Skyline unless you are uber talented. Ask Madi Skinner or her sister. She also just made Friendswood's varsity vball team as a freshman which is a big accomplishment with the talent and lack of senior movement they have this year. Oh, she is also ranked number 45 in the country in the 26 class in basketball. It should be pretty obvious at this point that I am extremely close to the situation. Like, "had I asked when I saw them last night they probably would've told me" close. But being where I attended college I didn't want to press the issue. Also, Pops Shelby played for pig so my swaying is not appreciated anyway.

Dude.... I'm not doubting SC offered, nor am I doubting she is that talented.

My point is as talented as she is and as highly ranked as she is....the offer is meaningless.  A) If she is as good a recruit as they are projecting her to be, she'll be able to pick her school to play volleyball on. B) It's an under the table offer.  SC can forget it every happened if Braylan isn't a contributor for them or if she ends up not being worth taking. Won't be the first time it has happened...heck from what my Volleyball friends say about Crouch, he's probably done it before.  C) From what I am told the only difference between men's basketball recruiting and women's volleyball recruiting is how involved the shoe companies are. Texas didn't not offer a kid like her with a brother like Braylan because of some rule that no one can ever point to actually being enforced.  If they are telling you SC offered it and Texas didn't........I think they are feeding you an excuse.  But I admittedly don't know them, but it doesn't make any sense otherwise.  Thanks for the info.

I used to live in the wood.  Nice place.  I am assuming they live in Friendswood lakes or around Centenial park at that price....maybe by the high school.

Edited by TexasRenegade

30 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Dude.... I'm not doubting SC offered, nor am I doubting she is that talented.

My point is as talented as she is and as highly ranked as she is....the offer is meaningless.  A) If she is as good a recruit as they are projecting her to be, she'll be able to pick her school to play volleyball on. B) It's an under the table offer.  SC can forget it every happened if Braylan isn't a contributor for them or if she ends up not being worth taking. Won't be the first time it has happened...heck from what my Volleyball friends say about Crouch, he's probably done it before.  C) From what I am told the only difference between men's basketball recruiting and women's volleyball recruiting is how involved the shoe companies are. Texas didn't not offer a kid like her with a brother like Braylan because of some rule that no one can ever point to actually being enforced.  If they are telling you SC offered it and Texas didn't........I think they are feeding you an excuse.  But I admittedly don't know them, but it doesn't make any sense otherwise.  Thanks for the info.

I used to live in the wood.  Nice place.  I am assuming they live in Friendswood lakes or around Centenial park at that price....maybe by the high school.

I thought Friendswood was alright. Is Skyline, though?

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

A&M's been quiet on him because he skipped their pool party to go to LSU. I think at the end of the day, he's a guy that they decide they HAVE to get, a la Hill.

Any kid that’s ok with making A&M their choice and knows they are a priority like Hill would do well to ignore Aggie until late in the process and let them negotiate against themselves and significantly increase the price.  That is if the kid actually wants to play for Aggie/is 100% NIL(bag) motivated.
  shut up and take my money GIF by Product Hunt

On 8/1/2022 at 7:39 PM, Getafix said:

Mike at Night: Updates on several 2023 defensive prospects

Mike Roach

("Akana is in the process of setting up an official visit to Austin for the fall.") 

Happy Season 3 GIF by The Good Place

Hide contents

Mike at Night: Updates on several 2023 defensive prospects

Mike Roach

— Texas saw one of its primary targets go off the board today when Colton Vasek committed to Oklahoma. While the Longhorns were able to make a push in Vasek's recruitment over the summer, it was never enough to take a clear lead. While the race seemed to be down to Texas and Oregon, a late visit to Oklahoma won him over. Vasek has been very open throughout the process that his admiration for Brent Venables was big. In fact, I was told had Venables remained at Clemson he'd have been committed there already. Does this mean it's over for Texas? Sources we speak with feel that the Longhorns will always have a slight opening in this recruitment, but flipping a kid from a rival is harder than any normal flip. I'm sure Texas won't back off and it will be interesting to see how that melds with Venables' no visit policy.

— With Braylan Shelby making a decision on August 6, it's getting tight for Texas with pass rushers. As of tonight, I've got USC edging Texas out for Shelby after a back-and-forth race all summer. Shelby really fell in love with Los Angeles when he went out there and his brother is currently playing for the Chargers. Hudson has a great feel for this race, and it's been as close as I can remember for any recruit. Some days it felt like Texas would win out, but USC has been able to hang around and stay in his mind. With the way it unfolded over the last month, it wouldn't be a total surprise if there was a swerve at the last minute. If Texas misses on Shelby, the focus will turn to two out-of-state prospects.

— The Longhorns hosted Lehi (Utah) Skyridge EDGE Tausili Akana on two occasions over the last year. Texas was focused on Shelby and Vasek with Akana still pretty open, but I'm told there's been more attention as of late with Steve Sarkisian involved. Akana is in the process of setting up an official visit to Austin for the fall. I spoke with Akana's father today who told me they don't have the date set yet, but I'd guess they will try to come for the Alabama game. Akana's sister transferred to Texas during the spring to play on the volleyball team, and Akana's father told me the option of the two going to school together is something that could help Texas. Akana is also friendly with Texas commit Liona Lefau, but there is no package deal there. If Akana makes it in for an official, Texas should establish itself as a strong contender with schools like Oklahoma and Oregon also involved.

— Venice (FL) EDGE Damon Wilson is a player we are working to gather more on. He's a composite five-star prospect, and I'm told that his interest in Texas is real enough at the moment. A big reason for that is Arch Manning. The five-star Texas quarterback commit has been talking with Wilson and has him interested enough to keep an eye on Texas. Wilson has already been to Alabama on an official and is looking at trips to Ohio State, Miami, Georgia and Texas. I need to see him get to campus before I'm ready to have any sort of optimism, but our guys in that region think he's fairly open.

— Football practice started in the state of Texas today harkening the return of the season in just a few weeks. That said, I still think Texas has a chance to add multiple prospects before the first game kicks off. In talking with sources, Derion Gullette, Cedric Baxter and Jordan Matthews are all players who could make the call before the year starts. Baxter is already locked in for August 10 and Gullette is planning to make a decision this week. I think Texas has a great shot to land all three and each would be a major win for this class.

Anyone who can be swayed by a bag-o- dicks we wouldn't want anyway. 

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I love people outside of the situation telling people in the know what did or did not happen. I am telling YOU what happened and why USC is on the board. No one else made that offer. And now you are questioning whether she is as good as being stated? Her touching 10.5 on video can easily be found online. Houston Skyline is the best volleyball program in the city. They literally pluck away everyone's best players. Go look at their 15's top team and you will see a pic of her on it. They have been begging her to come over for a couple years now but mom didn't want to make the commitment(drive), as they are way across town. She had been playing club close to home. However, with Braylan soon to be gone they can start focusing on her so she just took their invite for this upcoming season. She didn't even have to try out, and everyone in the city is trying to get on that team. You don't play top team for Skyline unless you are uber talented. Ask Madi Skinner or her sister. She also just made Friendswood's varsity vball team as a freshman which is a big accomplishment with the talent and lack of senior movement they have this year. Oh, she is also ranked number 45 in the country in the 26 class in basketball. It should be pretty obvious at this point that I am extremely close to the situation. Like, "had I asked when I saw them last night they probably would've told me" close. But being where I attended college I didn't want to press the issue. Also, Pops Shelby played for pig so my swaying is not appreciated anyway.

Oh, you're "That Guy".

Username checks out. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

So, we getting Gullette on 5th, Baxter on the 10th, and Matthews on the 15th.

It's almost like this was planned or something.

6 hours ago, turtlepond said:

Maybe so. But, what about the 20th, huh?  

Sark is announcing Ewers will be the starting QB.

Why worry so much about Gullette.

He can't play next year, right?
So... even if we lose the race this year, we have a whole next year to flip him before he ever plays a snap.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think we're already pretty much locked into at least a top ~15 class even if we don't sign anyone else this year???
That's pretty damn good for a second year coach coming off a 5-7 first year record.  

• Drool 1

4 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

So... even if we lose the race this year, we have a whole next year to flip him before he ever plays a snap.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think we're already pretty much locked into at least a top ~15 class even if we don't sign anyone else this year???
That's pretty damn good for a second year coach coming off a 5-7 first year record.  

Wrong. His goal is to rehab and early grad so he can participate in Spring practice.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You’re wrong. Shut the fuck up. Post your stupid shit somewhere else besides the fucking 2023 recruiting thread if you want to announce to everyone that you don’t care about 2023 recruits. Just a terrible fucking take when considering context. Fucking terrible. 

I get it. It’s surly. You only want every opinion to be great like yours, and the 23 class opinions to be posted elsewhere than in the 23 class Recruiting thread. Just  cuz you don’t like the opinion don’t make it wrong  or terrible. Nor was it said hedidnt like the 23 class. That’s just how you took it….

that’s just your opinion maan.

1 hour ago, BornOrange said:

Wrong. His goal is to rehab and early grad so he can participate in Spring practice.

this is the answer.  
Short, Concise , informative  and probably  closer to the truth.

BUT ITS NOT SURLY ENOUGH!!! 
GET OFF MY SIDEWALK!!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

After CTJ’s annihilation above, there’s not much to add, but how does a player’s injury status affect his flippability? And we’re going for a Top 3 class, Top 15 would be a program momentum setback.

At least bronco can take solace in the fact he’s the best worst most prolific drunk poster on the site, and that’s saying something. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

You're gunna get murdered for this, and I guess I kinda get it, but I think I've detected your overall sentiment and agree with it for the most part.

Coming off of 5-7 with that defensive showing and the poor recruiting on defense up top, that's not a great recipe for recruiting success. Luckily some great people (a lot of them on here) have done beyond a fantastic job with the NIL stuff, and continue to, or I'd hate to see what last year and this year's classes would look like. So all of that to say, "flipping" guys who are verbals elsewhere, or who ultimately sign elsewhere who are wanting to transfer after a year, CAN be things to consider IFFFFF Sark can pull off a decent enough bounce-back season. That type of season coupled with having a guy like Arch coming and one of the best NILs in the country, and we can flip guys we might lose out on the first go around. 

Now if you seriously doubt the possibility of a bounce-back season that recruits would be satisfied with, especially when held up to whatever aggy ends up doing, then of course it's more important to win those recruitments NOW and stay on top of them, so then everything I said prior to this paragraph can be crumbled up and shoved up my ass as far as you're concerned. Whatever

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You’re wrong. Shut the fuck up. Post your stupid shit somewhere else besides the fucking 2023 recruiting thread if you want to announce to everyone that you don’t care about 2023 recruits. Just a terrible fucking take when considering context. Fucking terrible. 

You could always just block him like many of the rest of us did long ago. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Since we're being provocative and attacking each other this morning, here's how I'd grade out the class so far. This is based on current commits plus a reasonable assumptions about what's left on the board. Purposefully offered without much comment.

• QB = A+.
  • RB = A if we land Baxter.
  • WR = B assuming we land Hale.
  • TE = C+. This would go to an A if we land Robinson.
  • OL = C.
  • DL = B+.
  • EDGE = C+ even with Gullette.
  • LB = C-.
  • DB = A if we land Matthews.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Since we're being provocative and attacking each other this morning, here's how I'd grade out the class so far. This is based on current commits plus a reasonable assumptions about what's left on the board. Purposefully offered without much comment.

• QB = A+.
  • OL = C.
  • DL = B+.
  • LB = C-.

I would say LB is B+, maybe A-.  Burrell and Lefau are great gets.

We need another interior DL to go next to Mitchell.  Deal?

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

• QB = A+.
  • OL = C.
  • DL = B+.
  • LB = C-.

If we land Baxter.. how is that not an A plus?

Also, I think WR is also an A with Cook, Niblett and Hale.  Wilson isn't too shabby either

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tokamak said:

• QB = A+.
  • OL = C.
  • DL = B+.
  • LB = C-.

Why not do  position consensus average for player groups if you want to grade:

.951-1.00 A

.901-.950 B

.881-.90 C

.851-.88 D

<=.85 F

or better yet,  root for as many highly rated guys as we can, and hope that Aggy continues to step on their junk.

• Hook 'Em 1