Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

21 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Since we're being provocative and attacking each other this morning, here's how I'd grade out the class so far. This is based on current commits plus a reasonable assumptions about what's left on the board. Purposefully offered without much comment.

• QB = A+.
  • RB = A if we land Baxter.
  • WR = B assuming we land Hale.
  • TE = C+. This would go to an A if we land Robinson.
  • OL = C.
  • DL = B+.
  • EDGE = C+ even with Gullette.
  • LB = C-.
  • DB = A if we land Matthews.

It's August.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I would say LB is B+, maybe A-.  Burrell and Lefau are great gets.

We need another interior DL to go next to Mitchell.  Deal?

Burrell is OK to me. I see a contributor but not a star. I like Lefau's tape (no idea what kind of competition he's playing against) but my concern there is can he get up to 230 and maintain his quickness? Given the shape our LB room is in, I really think we need a 3rd guy, and he needs to be a no-doubt stud.

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

If we land Baxter.. how is that not an A plus?

Also, I think WR is also an A with Cook, Niblett and Hale.  Wilson isn't too shabby either

I wouldn't really argue against Baxter/Wisner as an A+.

I'm not as high on Niblett as most seem to be. Love Cook, really like Hale, no problem with Wilson. Would've liked another guy with elite speed in addition to Cook. WR seems like a spot where there's gonna be interesting guys in the portal every year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Since we're being provocative and attacking each other this morning, here's how I'd grade out the class so far. This is based on current commits plus a reasonable assumptions about what's left on the board. Purposefully offered without much comment.

• QB = A+.
  • OL = C.
  • DL = B+.
  • LB = C-.

AAAAA.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

What is wrong with the OL haul?

Nothing. Shitty grade is just more proof that people, particularly message board posters like the cock gobblers on this thread, can't evaluate OL worth a shit. Case in point, Malik Agbo was the forgotten man in our class last cycle, and he has been among the freshmen listed as most impressive out of the gate in fall camp so far and quickest to grasp the offense. Cam Williams was a 3 star in the rankings and he has already turned heads in camp and will challenge to be a day one starter. Nobody really gave Cole Hutson a passing thought after his commitment, yet the coaches love him and he will play a bunch this year. It's easy to point to Kelvin Banks and DJ Campbell and say how good they are, but once you get out of the obvious elite tier everyone is just throwing shit against the wall.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Getting Johntay in the class was seen as the reasonable ceiling since Hale wasn’t too interested. Then Johntay seemed to trend away. Niblett was conceded to Bama. 

Now we have a really good chance to have all three of those guys, plus an upside guy in Wilson and you’re calling that a C? Never go full retard man. 

If we get DG today, our class is pretty solid (B-) to elite (A+) at every position outside of TE. 

Just now, Vertigo said:

Nothing. Shitty grade is just more proof that people, particularly message board posters like the cock gobblers on this thread, can't evaluate OL worth a shit. Case in point, Malik Agbo was the forgotten man in our class last cycle, and he has been among the freshmen listed as most impressive out of the gate in fall camp so far and quickest to grasp the offense. Cam Williams was a 3 star in the rankings and he has already turned heads in camp and will challenge to be a day one starter. Nobody really gave Cole Hutson a passing thought after his commitment, yet the coaches love him and he will play a bunch this year. It's easy to point to Kelvin Banks and DJ Campbell and say how good they are, but once you get out of the obvious elite tier everyone is just throwing shit against the wall.

Excuse me, I’m pretty sure Cole Hutson was rated the #1 OL in the country for a reason. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'll play.

-QB - A+

-RB - A+ with Baxter. I guess Bama having 2 five star commits at this position could nullify this position, in this singular class, but relative to every year in history as well, I'll stick with A+

-WR - C+ with Cook - I like the group okay. Marion loves Wilson, and has been on him since early in his time at Pitt. If he's a great evaluator, this could make the C+ look stupid. Niblett, Cook, and Hale all have the same serious question about their hands. We've seen the problems with guys that can't consistently make the grab.

-TE - B without Robinson, A+ with him - I like Spencer a lot for in-line TE. I think that position is hugely underrated by the service these days, but that role is a big deal in Sarkisian's scheming. Randle allegedly has great hands. I'll take a guy as the last guy in the class that helps us land the #1 recruit in the nation and has a reputation for being able to get open and make catches. Robinson takes things to 11.

-OL - A- - Realistically, I don't know how much better we could have expected this group to look after the 2022 class. The group consists of giant bodies who have been vetted on understanding their individual needs to develop on campus for a bit before being thrown into the fire. Goosby and Cojoe represent legit long term upside due to athleticism or age. Stroh is a mean fucker that likes to work. 

-Nose - A+ - Texas has the commitment from the guy that everybody wants.

-DT - D - Spencer ain't getting it done on his own. I feel like we're destined to come up short here. We sent some guys home from visits this cycle telling them thanks for the visit but not pushing for a commitment. So then who are we on? Deal? Is that it? I feel like Davis has to have some sort of plan but someone else is going to have to explain it.

-Edge - B- - Spencer and Gullette are fine as a tandem, but I wish we had a 3rd guy and that that guy was also an obvious potential difference maker. Akana and I can be convinced that this should be graded as an A-.

-LB - B - I like both takes just fine. We need more and missing on Hill hurts a lot. I have a sad fantasy that Perkins doesn't dig Baton Rouge and bails into the portal after this season, right into our open arms. Missing on that guy last cycle because we weren't fully weaponized on NIL stings. Missing Hill this time because ATM is a dark money, bootlegging hillbilly operation sucks too.

-CB - A - If Muhammad is fucking good. Matthews is very good too. If Texas can flip Calvin Simpson-Hunt from Ohio State, that takes this group into orbit. They were apparently not interested in further discussions with Thomas, so it looks like they think they're getting Matthews and will play out the CSH effort to the end.

-S/NB - A - Williams is a 5 star and looks it. They've liked Johnson the whole way. I don't think they land Toviano, but they're all-in on him. So is everyone else though. Landing him, much like landing CSH at CB, would be over the top. 

I don't know if landing Mikal Harrison-Pilot changes any rankings for me. Not landing Gullette or Matthews would. Landing Shelby would too, I guess. Not sure about who else they're on that legitimately moves the needle. If Hall or Wilson wind up in the class, obviously that would change DT or Edge quite a bit, or both if they landed both. Seems really unlikely. 

-Edge - B with Gullette

I have a weird sneaky suspicion about the Florida kids this cycle. Both the DT and EDGE  may be more in play than people realize. I have zero inside knowledge of that, but the staff's actions make more sense if you factor that in. Tashard Choice paying off in spades if that happens. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• QB = A+.
  • OL = C.
  • DL = B+.
  • LB = C-.

QB - A+
RB - C or A+ with Baxter
WR - A- or A with Hale
TE - C+ or A with Duce
OL - B (because it’s good developmental class following last years haul)
DL - B
Edge - C or B+ with Gullette (injury worries)
DB - B+ or A with Matthews
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

• QB = A+.
  • OL = C.
  • DL = B+.
  • LB = C-.

Signing the best QB in the country - A+

Signing the best RB in the country - A

So if the rest of this month goes the way we hope, we will be pretty much done before the season even starts, save a few big targets. Different strategy spending the season focusing on keeping everyone in the boat and being hyper-focused on a handful of big targets. I like it. 

We’ll keep recruiting Hicks until he commits but that isn’t happening unless we somehow field a defense that includes a defensive lineman making a play behind the line a scrimmage every once in a while. But could misguided staff optimism on him be why we aren’t pushing other guys to commit at that position?

35 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Agbo was the forgotten man for a number of reasons though beyond him JUST playing OL

• played in Washington State
  • didn't commit until NSD1
  • only like 1 visit to Texas
  • trended elsewhere before TExas
  • yes, he plays OL
  • but he was also the 4th highest rated OL in the class behind Campbell (10), Banks (33) and Umeozulu (91)

For example, LTG was also pretty forgotten in the class, for many of the same reasons I would guess - played out of state, committed late (1/8 before NSD2), limited visits to Texas, committed to Colorado, etc

Huston committed 7/2/21. early in the cycle and committed before the entire rest of the OL commits.

16 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

We’ll keep recruiting Hicks until he commits but that isn’t happening unless we somehow field a defense that includes a defensive lineman making a play behind the line a scrimmage every once in a while. But could misguided staff optimism on him be why we aren’t pushing other guys to commit at that position?

I’ve been in and out, so I may have missed the report on our coaches being optimistic on Hicks. When did that happen? Or are you just speculating? OU side seems to be pretty confident. 

19 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

So if the rest of this month goes the way we hope, we will be pretty much done before the season even starts, save a few big targets. Different strategy spending the season focusing on keeping everyone in the boat and being hyper-focused on a handful of big targets. I like it. 

With the Alabama game being the big recruiting weekend of the fall where they will look to bring in those big fish all at the same time.

Just now, Chili dog said:

I’ve been in and out, so I may have missed the report on our coaches being optimistic on Hicks. When did that happen? Or are you just speculating? OU side seems to be pretty confident. 

Speculating based on:

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-DT - D - Spencer ain't getting it done on his own. I feel like we're destined to come up short here. We sent some guys home from visits this cycle telling them thanks for the visit but not pushing for a commitment. So then who are we on? Deal? Is that it? I feel like Davis has to have some sort of plan but someone else is going to have to explain it.

I know guys are down on Nibblet after IT said he was the most raw WR they have seen (forget which person said that). He is the most explosive athlete in the WR group. He plays the “get him the ball” position for his team. People see high upside and low floor, but this is the kind of guy Sark loves. He can be returner and Sark can find ways to get him in space a couple times a game. He is the kind of athlete that Texas has not had much this decade and Sark has been adding 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

“So, that was Junior Day, right? Ok boys, I think we’re done!”

image.jpeg.1c483e9956d16444ccf5cd5d4c7b36af.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I know guys are down on Nibblet after IT said he was the most raw WR they have seen (forget which person said that). He is the most explosive athlete in the WR group. He plays the “get him the ball” position for his team. People see high upside and low floor, but this is the kind of guy Sark loves. He can be returner and Sark can find ways to get him in space a couple times a game. He is the kind of athlete that Texas has not had much this decade and Sark has been adding 

I have a lot of faith in Marion's ability to teach technique to guys like Niblett. He seems to be a plus developer. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I'll play.

-QB - A+

-RB - A+ with Baxter. I guess Bama having 2 five star commits at this position could nullify this position, in this singular class, but relative to every year in history as well, I'll stick with A+

-WR - C+ with Cook - I like the group okay. Marion loves Wilson, and has been on him since early in his time at Pitt. If he's a great evaluator, this could make the C+ look stupid. Niblett, Cook, and Hale all have the same serious question about their hands. We've seen the problems with guys that can't consistently make the grab.

-TE - B without Robinson, A+ with him - I like Spencer a lot for in-line TE. I think that position is hugely underrated by the service these days, but that role is a big deal in Sarkisian's scheming. Randle allegedly has great hands. I'll take a guy as the last guy in the class that helps us land the #1 recruit in the nation and has a reputation for being able to get open and make catches. Robinson takes things to 11.

-OL - A- - Realistically, I don't know how much better we could have expected this group to look after the 2022 class. The group consists of giant bodies who have been vetted on understanding their individual needs to develop on campus for a bit before being thrown into the fire. Goosby and Cojoe represent legit long term upside due to athleticism or age. Stroh is a mean fucker that likes to work. 

-Nose - A+ - Texas has the commitment from the guy that everybody wants.

-Edge - B- - Spencer and Gullette are fine as a tandem, but I wish we had a 3rd guy and that that guy was also an obvious potential difference maker. Akana and I can be convinced that this should be graded as an A-.

-LB - B - I like both takes just fine. We need more and missing on Hill hurts a lot. I have a sad fantasy that Perkins doesn't dig Baton Rouge and bails into the portal after this season, right into our open arms. Missing on that guy last cycle because we weren't fully weaponized on NIL stings. Missing Hill this time because ATM is a dark money, bootlegging hillbilly operation sucks too.

-CB - A - If Muhammad is fucking good. Matthews is very good too. If Texas can flip Calvin Simpson-Hunt from Ohio State, that takes this group into orbit. They were apparently not interested in further discussions with Thomas, so it looks like they think they're getting Matthews and will play out the CSH effort to the end.

-S/NB - A - Williams is a 5 star and looks it. They've liked Johnson the whole way. I don't think they land Toviano, but they're all-in on him. So is everyone else though. Landing him, much like landing CSH at CB, would be over the top. 

I don't know if landing Mikal Harrison-Pilot changes any rankings for me. Not landing Gullette or Matthews would. Landing Shelby would too, I guess. Not sure about who else they're on that legitimately moves the needle. If Hall or Wilson wind up in the class, obviously that would change DT or Edge quite a bit, or both if they landed both. Seems really unlikely. 

On WR - with Cook or did you mean with Hale?

I’d rather have a WR corps with elite athleticism and ok hands than one with ok athleticism and elite hands. 
But in this case, it seems like we could get two of each in Cook/Niblett and Hale/Wilson. 

Outside of Greathouse and Pettaway, who did we really “miss” on? I don’t count the out of state long shots.  

Just now, Atticus said:

I’d rather have a WR corps with elite athleticism and ok hands than one with ok athleticism and elite hands. 
But in this case, it seems like we could get two of each in Cook/Niblett and Hale/Wilson. 

Outside of Greathouse and Pettaway, who did we really “miss” on? I don’t count the out of state long shots.  

I don't think Greathouse is a receiver at the next level, but he would be terrifying in Lincoln Riley's offense as that H Back Dimitri Flowers type dude. Pettaway was the only real miss, and I think his skillset is pretty close to Niblett and Cook anyway. 

19 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Are there a lot of examples of WR’s with bad to okay hands that went on to great success, because I’m struggling to think of many. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Are there a lot of examples of WR’s with bad to okay hands that went on to great success, because I’m struggling to think of many. 

A guy like Braylon Edwards maybe? He wrecked shit in college but had a pretty up and down NFL career mainly because he couldn’t catch shit. 

1 minute ago, FreeHorn said:

Terrell Owens. 

he dropped a lot of passes on his way to a hall of fame career. 

Exactly who I thought of, too. Seems like his hands got better over his career, too, but I may be misremembering. 

Edited by Chili dog

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Before college? It’s hard to say. We know far more about prospects now than ever before. It’s not great to have hands issues in HS, which is true of our commits. But you can teach it. I’d rather teach that than aggressiveness. If a kid can’t go up and get their hands on it, then it doesn’t matter if they can’t catch it.

Right now it seems like OSU and Bama are getting the top 6 kids and you just have to hope to get one of the remaining best. Given what those two schools have done at that position lately, it is hard to be too upset with our haul. 

Humidor:

Recruiting

Cedric Baxter, RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater
The four-star Florida native is announcing on August 10th. He’s had that date set in stone since earlier in the summer, and Texas and Tashard Choice have put themselves in a superior position. Texas A&M, Florida, and Miami are UT’s top competition, but the Horns have the advantage. Choice was hired to make a big splash in recruiting. Baxter would be a cannonball.

Derion Gullette, EDGE/LB, Teague (Texas)
It’s decision day for the On3 four-star defender. Give Jeff Choate some props. Give PK and Terry Joseph some love. Also, shoutout to Demarvion Overshown and Derrick Brown and a handful of 2023 commits. This recruitment has been a team effort in the truest sense. Texas A&M made it interesting and Ohio State had his attention for a minute, but since late spring, the Horns have slowly separated from the pack.

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn
His date is set. On August 15th, the 6-foot-1, 180-pound On3 four-star announces his destination. Texas, Tennessee, and Michigan are the contenders, with the Horns holding the pole position for a decent amount of time. Matthews has seen Austin six times on his own dime, including the BBQ bash in late July. He’ll be back in Austin for the Texas-Alabama contest the second week in September. Terry Joseph deserves a lot of credit here, with a hand from Arch Manning and Derek Williams. #BootUp.

Markis Deal, DL, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest
Texas and the 6-foot-4, 285-pounder have continued to have constant communication since the unofficial visit last week. The Longhorns have talked with Deal about a fall official visit with the date still to be determined. Georgia will receive an official visit, and it looks like September 24th weekend will be when that visit happens. TCU, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, and USC are the teams fighting it out for the On3 Consensus four-star prospect.

Jordan Hall, DL, Jacksonville (Fla.) Westside and Damon Wilson, EDGE, Venice (Fla.) High
The Texas staff is working from behind on both of the Sunshine State defensive linemen. With that said, the staff is in contact with both Hall and Wilson, and are talking to both about potential official visit dates. Obviously, the Alabama game September 10 would be an ideal weekend to have top prospects on campus from an atmosphere standpoint. Plus Arch Manning, Duce Robinson, and many other prospects will be on hand for the game against the Crimson Tide. The competition for Hall is Georgia, Florida, and Miami. The competition for Wilson is Alabama, Georgia, Miami, and Ohio State.

Let’s see if the staff can work some Sydir Mitchell magic with one or both of Hall and Wilson.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

JULIO JONES

1) nfl.com draft evaluation

image.thumb.png.b1cf266d0c509aea8701148349153e19.png

2) Another of Jones ... 

image.thumb.png.a319408e9bc78eaa888868cb81b059ce.png

3) And another ... 

image.thumb.png.a2aab88fa99d5dc8dc589b316a191dc1.png

AMARI COOPER

1) Walterfootball

image.thumb.png.db4cdf1ea48286d0038bfbf7a7e315ec.png

2) nfl.com (Zierlein)

image.thumb.png.1a3d6c969d382c0571c790635a7b843c.png

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Right now it seems like OSU and Bama are getting the top 6 kids and you just have to hope to get one of the remaining best. Given what those two schools have done at that position lately, it is hard to be too upset with our haul. 

Yeah, this certainly worked out last year. After the freshmen season he had compared to what the rest of the list did, it’s hard to believe that there were 7 WR prospects better than Worthy in the 2021 class. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=WR