Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

11 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Yeah, this certainly worked out last year. After the freshmen season he had compared to what the rest of the list did, it’s hard to believe that there were 7 WR prospects better than Worthy in the 2021 class. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=WR

I had forgotten Agiye Hall was rated higher.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Fuck you Georgia

I know it should go on coach’s thread, but fits the post above. Coach Choice is a bad man.

Spoiler

Tashard the Right ChoiceBy: Super KPosted on: August 5, 2022

We have yet to see what coach Tashard Choice’s running backs will do on the field but…c’mon…it’s Bijan and RoJo. Not a difficult pair to coach or lead to success.

But in terms of recruiting, we’ve already seen him have success landing in-state RB, Tre Wisner. Choice beat out a formidable opponent in DeMarco Murray. Earlier on, the Sooners had a lead for Wisner and Choice was able to quickly turn the tide.

Last night, I was talking to the parents of an OU target, 4-star DB, Makari Vickers (Tallahassee, FL). They are just coming off a visit to Norman. In the course of the conversation, they were talking about how during the recruiting process a big thing for them was finding coaches they connect with – coaches who are genuine.

And completely unprompted (as it was a recruitment related to OU) they brought up Tashard Choice. They absolutely raved about him. Makari’s father basically said that if Choice was the position coach at Texas, the Horns would have very much been in the mix for Makari.

Hearing that gave me more confidence that the Horns will likely hold off a push from Georgia and land 4-star RB, Cedric Baxter (Orlando, FL). Should that happen (and sources on the Texas side believe it will), that’s an incredibly impressive haul for Choice in his first year.

And, Choice will have gone into Georgia’s own recruiting territory and taken Baxter just as UGA is coming off a national championship.

Choice and I happen to have a mutual friend and you’ll recall that when he was hired I mentioned that said friend spoke very highly of Choice. But, to see it in action on the recruiting trail and to hear his name in a conversation completely unrelated to Choice or Texas, corroborates what I’d previously heard.

Heck of a hire and I imagine Lincoln was none too happy to lose him.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Okcool said:

I know it should go on coach’s thread, but fits the post above. Coach Choice is a bad man.

Hide contents

Tashard the Right ChoiceBy: Super KPosted on: August 5, 2022

We have yet to see what coach Tashard Choice’s running backs will do on the field but…c’mon…it’s Bijan and RoJo. Not a difficult pair to coach or lead to success.

But in terms of recruiting, we’ve already seen him have success landing in-state RB, Tre Wisner. Choice beat out a formidable opponent in DeMarco Murray. Earlier on, the Sooners had a lead for Wisner and Choice was able to quickly turn the tide.

Last night, I was talking to the parents of an OU target, 4-star DB, Makari Vickers (Tallahassee, FL). They are just coming off a visit to Norman. In the course of the conversation, they were talking about how during the recruiting process a big thing for them was finding coaches they connect with – coaches who are genuine.

And completely unprompted (as it was a recruitment related to OU) they brought up Tashard Choice. They absolutely raved about him. Makari’s father basically said that if Choice was the position coach at Texas, the Horns would have very much been in the mix for Makari.

Hearing that gave me more confidence that the Horns will likely hold off a push from Georgia and land 4-star RB, Cedric Baxter (Orlando, FL). Should that happen (and sources on the Texas side believe it will), that’s an incredibly impressive haul for Choice in his first year.

And, Choice will have gone into Georgia’s own recruiting territory and taken Baxter just as UGA is coming off a national championship.

Choice and I happen to have a mutual friend and you’ll recall that when he was hired I mentioned that said friend spoke very highly of Choice. But, to see it in action on the recruiting trail and to hear his name in a conversation completely unrelated to Choice or Texas, corroborates what I’d previously heard.

Heck of a hire and I imagine Lincoln was none too happy to lose him.

Since when is D Murray a good recruiter?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

That jacket is responsible for 65% of our recruiting success. Arch accounts for the remaining 82%. 

giphy.gif

but yeah, that jacket is pretty badass. I could never wear it as a grown man but high school me would have rocked the fuck out of that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I have a lot of faith in Marion's ability to teach technique to guys like Niblett. He seems to be a plus developer. 

I agree with you. 

However, I have real doubts that Marion will be at Texas long enough to really develop Niblett. He’s going to get an OC position within the next two years, barring a total collapse on offense at Texas.