Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Rogers just recommitted. 
Wasn’t there some chatter a few days ago, that this could happen, and we might be interested?

Someone on the IT board said Ketch (yes I know) was talking about a potential flip for Texas just a couple days ago

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Rogers just recommitted. 
Wasn’t there some chatter a few days ago, that this could happen, and we might be interested?

Ooh boy, he was their second highest ranked commit. Lends credence to the theory that they blew their whole bag on Hill.

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

Presumably Bravion is a numbers buster, and I don't know where others project, but isn't Toviano a CB as well? could this be more telling about where we stand with him? Especially with Muhammad in the boat and Matthews about ready to hop in?

I think one of the 995ers said Toviano can play anywhere but they think he’ll eventually end at safety

Mike at Night: Notes on a pair of Texas commits and a major target

Spoiler

— I started this morning off at Desoto High School for the first week that every school is back in session for practice. I was able to see Johntay Cook and Tre Wisner as they prepared for the season. Cook said afterward that he was gunning for 40 touchdowns this year as a personal goal which he saw as a true marker of improvement after an incredible scoring year as a junior. Off the field, Cook is set on working on other members of the class with a specific focus on Jalen Hale who could finish off the wide receiver group as a cherry on top. Cook is also potentially planning something for Red River Shootout weekend and we're told that Arch Manning could also make the trip to Dallas that weekend. If he does, I'd look for the two ringleaders to try to put something together with some other recruits. We'll talk about that more if we get some further details on it.

— Texas running back commit Tre Wisneralso said he's pretty much locked into Texas. I mentioned this after Cook committed, but Johntay was actually doing a good amount of recruiting Wisner to Texas originally which helped a lot. Though Wisner talked about potentially taking other visits, he said he's cut off just about every other school. He still maintains contact with Texas A&M assistant Tommie Robinson but said he has no plans to make any visits at this point in time. Wisner has his eyes on 2500 total all-purpose yards this season and doing his part to help Desoto reach a state title game.

— I checked in with a source regarding five-star cornerback Javien Toviano. The Arlington Martin prospect is starting to act like a true wildcard with messages all over the place about where he is looking or leaning. I can tell you this, there has been a lot of confidence regarding Texas and Toviano, and in checking in with multiple sources once again, that confidence remains. From what I've seen, I can't say that I totally feel that confidence on my own, but multiple sources have been firm enough about it that I have to respect it. I need to see Toviano make it back to campus this fall and get a post-visit read from that. Perhaps Toviano is just trying to keep everyone off balance or perhaps his mind is changing as frequently as it seems to right now.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

— I started this morning off at Desoto High School for the first week that every school is back in session for practice. I was able to see Johntay Cook and Tre Wisner as they prepared for the season. Cook said afterward that he was gunning for 40 touchdowns this year as a personal goal which he saw as a true marker of improvement after an incredible scoring year as a junior. Off the field, Cook is set on working on other members of the class with a specific focus on Jalen Hale who could finish off the wide receiver group as a cherry on top. Cook is also potentially planning something for Red River Shootout weekend and we're told that Arch Manning could also make the trip to Dallas that weekend. If he does, I'd look for the two ringleaders to try to put something together with some other recruits. We'll talk about that more if we get some further details on it.

Texas running back commit Tre Wisner also said he's pretty much locked into Texas. I mentioned this after Cook committed, but Johntay was actually doing a good amount of recruiting Wisner to Texas originally which helped a lot. Though Wisner talked about potentially taking other visits, he said he's cut off just about every other school. He still maintains contact with Texas A&M assistant Tommie Robinson but said he has no plans to make any visits at this point in time. Wisner has his eyes on 2500 total all-purpose yards this season and doing his part to help Desoto reach a state title game.

— I checked in with a source regarding five-star cornerback Javien Toviano. The Arlington Martin prospect is starting to act like a true wildcard with messages all over the place about where he is looking or leaning. I can tell you this, there has been a lot of confidence regarding Texas and Toviano, and in checking in with multiple sources once again, that confidence remains. From what I've seen, I can't say that I totally feel that confidence on my own, but multiple sources have been firm enough about it that I have to respect it. I need to see Toviano make it back to campus this fall and get a post-visit read from that. Perhaps Toviano is just trying to keep everyone off balance or perhaps his mind is changing as frequently as it seems to right now.

I'm sure it is just Roach-speak, but it sounds like Wisner is wavering a bit. I hadn't heard that before so I find it kind of funny that the article had the opposite effect than Roach intended. Or is this the $9.95 way of telling people that a decommit is possible? Fuck that shit, Roach - Say what you mean. I can't read your tiny brain.

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm sure it is just Roach-speak, but it sounds like Wisner is wavering a bit. I hadn't heard that before so I find it kind of funny that the article had the opposite effect than Roach intended. Or is this the $9.95 way of telling people that a decommit is possible? Fuck that shit, Roach - Say what you mean. I can't read your tiny brain.

He has to maintain good relationships with recruits and high school coaches so he can't say, "🚨 RED ALERT 🚨 RECRUIT GETTING SQUISHY" until there's irrefutable evidence like a visit.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Inside Texas live from Venice High School (Fla.)

Gerry Hamilton•about 2 hours

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

(Chad Simmons/On3)

Venice, Fla. – Inside Texas is live from Venice High School in Southwest Florida Monday to watch On3 5-star EDGE Damon Wilson.

The 6-foot-3, 234-pounder with a non-stop motor and high-level physicality surprised many when he included Texas in his final 5 July 14.

The Longhorns joined Alabama, Georgia, Miami and Ohio State in the five. Wilson made an unofficial visit to Georgia the first weekend in June (same weekend as Arch Manning). He made a June official visit to Alabama two week later. Miami and Ohio State received spring unofficial visits.

Texas offered Wilson January 23, 2022. There had been minimal contact since the offer, but that is changing. The Longhorns staff is now engaging the uber talented pass rush that recorded 90 tackles and 15 sacks as a junior. Texas assistant Jeff Choate is heading up the recruitment of Wilson.

Alabama leads Georgia in the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine for the Southwest Florida star.

Damon Wilson On3 Personal Life profile

“Damon Wilson was already a well-known name in the Sunshine State, but he became a household name on the national scene with an unforgettable performance for Venice High in the 2021 Florida Class 8A championship game. Wilson had a monster pick-six in the 35-7 victory over Apopka. He was also in on eight tackles, had a half of a sack to tie the school record in a season with 14.5 and recorded two tackles for a loss to go along with his interception for a touchdown, pass breakup and quarterback hit, the latter three occurring on the same play. When he’s not making plays on the football field, Wilson is likely in the weight room or competing for the school’s powerlifting team. Wilson has a 370-pound bench press and he has hopes of topping the 400-pound mark by the time he graduates.”

image.thumb.png.26fbb17603f6294679e983d05283dfcd.png

image.thumb.png.8d4c1171c042d60c1a5b18c7bd59f7fa.png

me seeing Tashard Choice heading the recruitment of Wilson instead of Jeff Choate 

Denzel Washington Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Wisner has been reported as a "gonna take his visits, need to recruit through the whistle" type from day one.

3 hours ago, T-dog said:

It's not the first report about Wisner wavering, there were a couple ahead of Johnray's commitment and Wisner's last visit to campus which seemed to smooth things over at that point in time...

Yup, this.

11 hours ago, Cornpop said:

Promoting your own thread on other forums? Lmao

I don’t get why that’s funny, but I have an IQ above room temperature so I’m a little picky. The whole fucking point of starting a thread is to … wait for it … foment discussion. So, yeah, some guys discussing the subject matter, a carry over from a post I made earlier in the day that started it, I figured I’d give them a heads up on a thread where there’s a lot more talk about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

anyone care to share?

Spoiler

Rogers was a high target for the Longhorns earlier in the cycle before committing to Texas A&M in April.

If I remember correctly, the last time Rogers was on campus was for the Texas Relays the last weekend of March.

There were questions of the board yesterday regarding a flip candidate. While the Rogers decommitment fits the timing rather well, there is real smoke around LSU in this recruitment.

Two other factors have me leaning elsewhere in this recruitment as well.

First, Steve Sarkisian went on a pretty good tangent Monday during his press conference that he was looking for cornerbacks with length. “I just believe in 6-foot or taller corners. I just think that when you have length, at the point of attack at the line of scrimmage, you can play tighter coverage. You have length when the ball is in the air to knock balls down… When you look at recruiting for us, from a Ryan Watts to a Terrence Brooks, Xavion Brice, Jaylon Guilbeau, Austin Jordan, all physical type players.”

Rogers is listed at 5’10” on 247Sports and 6′ on Rivals, so he is certainly pushing that threshold.

The second thing is the LSU smoke and Texas’ push for Toviano. I’ve been told a couple times now Arch Manning and members of the Texas class are looking squarely at Toviano to join the class.

Rogers also took a trip to LSU in May after his commitment to A&M. I will get in contact with him soon and see what I can come up with.

• Hook 'Em 6

8 hours ago, OB3 said:

Someone on the IT board said Ketch (yes I know) was talking about a potential flip for Texas just a couple days ago

is this the same guy who had their baseball writer put in a crystal ball for someone (Anthony Hill?) months ago for his first CB ever because Ketch put one in with no information and he wanted cover?

straight up: fuck that guy. FCB and Old Man Bowles at least know who they are and what they are doing. Ketch is the perfect combo of incompetent, lazy, unlikable, and the only person on the internet who can come out of a fight with Billy Liucci looking like the bigger asshole.

it isn't like he is too much of a homer, so he does stuff for Texas. or he gets his info (and gets tricked) by 7 on 7 trainers. or loves a specific area of the state more than others. or has some network of people who trust him and tell him stuff - which is pretty hard to NOT have when you have done this for like 20 years. he is just one of the laziest 9.95ers in the country who also happens to be on a lifelong search for a ham guy after his last one retired early.

actually, the more i think about it, Ketch is the dollar store version of Billy Liucci.

Liucci has everything Ketch really wants - adored by people on his website, direct connection to the athletic dept, well thought of amongst his school's fans (even if they are super misguided), twice as many twitter followers, relationships with current and former players and the ability to drop 100 pounds and keep it off.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, tokamak said:

Decommit szn is certainly funny but Rogers bailing is actually bad for us if he's LSU bound, which looks likely. Just makes A&M that much more desperate for Toviano. We know the game plan when they get desperate for a particular guy.

It helps us with Matthews.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

A&M’s class falling apart is never a bad thing for us. You’ve really become a satya lite lately. Remember when you were convinced A&M was landing Nelson just because they paid for a visit the other weekend? 

I'm shellshocked from last year's fuckery. I'm seeing aggy bags coming out of the trees, man.

13 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm shellshocked from last year's fuckery. I'm seeing aggy bags coming out of the trees, man.

Yeah. It’s just that nagging feeling that even if they are trying to be thrifty this cycle, will they really sit there all the way to December without panic buying?  They still have their upcoming 11-1 playoff season to hold them off, but when that vanishes like a mirage in the desert will they not grab for their checkbooks or pawn their last asset to re-live last cycle’s high?

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah. It’s just that nagging feeling that even if they are trying to be thrifty this cycle, will they really sit there all the way to December without panic buying?  They still have their upcoming 11-1 playoff season to hold them off, but when that vanishes like a mirage in the desert will they not grab for their checkbooks or pawn their last asset to re-live last cycle’s high?

They aren't being thrifty. If they could buy these guys, they already would have. Legitimate NIL deals have destroyed the bag market, with some obvious exceptions. The price of poker has gone way, way up. They have been completely unprepared for it.

• Hook 'Em 1