Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I think Tennessee is our primary competition with him. At least leading into his commitment next week. Depending on how the season goes, he might become a flip risk to LSU. 

Yeah, what I was thinking is that LSU getting a flip from A&M puts less pressure on LSU to try to flip Matthews later. A&M isn't a threat for our corner commits.

Toviano and Calvin Simpson Hunt will be luxuries as would Jayvon Thomas if he decommits from A&M. I do wonder what our board looks like at corner, but if we sign any of those guys in addition to Muhammad and Matthews we have the room as someone would end up at nickle or safety if they didn't win the CB job.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They aren't being thrifty. If they could buy these guys, they already would have. Legitimate NIL deals have destroyed the bag market, with some obvious exceptions. The price of poker has gone way, way up. They have been completely unprepared for it.

I'm not sure I buy that aggy will be left behind. They will get their shit together eventually, but even if they are ever on equal footing with us, that means they are always losing anyway. 

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Maybe they will feel the need to fluff their eventual qb commit

who?

Arnold isn't flipping to A&M (#3 in state in composite)

Novosad is #30 in the composite, even with a *great* senior year he isn't jumping up to #1. Novosad had every reason to flip if he was going to. They whiffed the shit out of a player whose parents went to A&M and met at A&M. the *only* other player in the Texas Composite Top 100 is someone named Jake Strong who is committed to TTU and is #97.

they picked a bad year to whiff on QB evals and offers in a year that Texas is down when it comes to QBs. Last year, for comparison, had Klubnik as composite state #1, Weigman as #5, Nick Evers (OU) as composite #27, Braedyn Locke (Miss St) as composite #54 and Garret Rangel (ok state) #60.

If you are looking for a shock #1 due to a potential A&M commit, expect it to be Rueben Owens.

composite top 10 as of 8/9/22

image.thumb.png.95dd19edb522b60a36a957b2eef09192.png

25 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

We get it, you’ve got a thing for Liucci. It’s cool.

somehow THAT is what you all got out of my shitting on Ketch? not that that he is somehow worse than Liucci, but that I am a Liucci superfan even though I have been making fun of him and the Looch 44 for years on this very site? lol ok.

• Hook 'Em 2

Looks like Liucu

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

somehow THAT is what you all got out of my shitting on Ketch? not that that he is somehow worse than Liucci, but that I am a Liucci superfan even though I have been making fun of him and the Looch 44 for years on this very site? lol ok.

Jim Carrey Yes GIF

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

who?

Arnold isn't flipping to A&M (#3 in state in composite)

Novosad is #30 in the composite, even with a *great* senior year he isn't jumping up to #1. Novosad had every reason to flip if he was going to. They whiffed the shit out of a player whose parents went to A&M and met at A&M. the *only* other player in the Texas Composite Top 100 is someone named Jake Strong who is committed to TTU and is #97.

they picked a bad year to whiff on QB evals and offers in a year that Texas is down when it comes to QBs. Last year, for comparison, had Klubnik as composite state #1, Weigman as #5, Nick Evers (OU) as composite #27, Braedyn Locke (Miss St) as composite #54 and Garret Rangel (ok state) #60.

If you are looking for a shock #1 due to a potential A&M commit, expect it to be Rueben Owens.

composite top 10 as of 8/9/22

image.thumb.png.95dd19edb522b60a36a957b2eef09192.png

You're using way too much logic for the Looch 44. He doesn't care what anybody else has players rated.

Besides, Looch is a better talent evaluator than this so called "industry composite" of experts around the country. If he says TJ Shanahan is the #1 player in the state of Texas, he's by-goddurn-right. Because he knows better than everybody else. And Aggy should be super excited, because not only is he the best player in the state, but he's also going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder from being under-ranked.

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

I mean, you posted an obscure pic of Liucci implying Ketch has never looked that good.

To be fair, the jean jacket is a handsome touch.

12 hours ago, Getafix said:

Bravion Rogers just decommited. 
Wasn’t there some chatter a few days ago, that this could happen, and we might be interested?

12 hours ago, OB3 said:

Someone on the IT board said Ketch (yes I know) was talking about a potential flip for Texas just a couple days ago

Someone on IT mentioned that Ketch said the recruit that is potentially flipping to UT is NOT Rogers or Pettiway.

Edited by TheMailBox357

2 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Someone on IT mentioned that Ketch said the recruit that is potentially flipping to UT is NOT Rogers or Pettiway.

Ketchum has more insight into who Jack In The Box is "recruiting" to join their local team in Cedar Park than he does about anything recruiting related. Like, orders of magnitude more insight. Keep that in mind. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I see we let him keep the gloves.

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ketchum has more insight into who Jack In The Box is "recruiting" to join their local team in Cedar Park than he does about anything recruiting related. Like, orders of magnitude more insight. Keep that in mind. 

Hey don't dog Cedar Park like that.  It's a nice place now, most of the mobile homes have been moved out.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

7 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I see we let him keep the gloves.

Hey don't dog Cedar Park like that.  It's a nice place now, most of the mobile homes have been moved out.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not dogging anything. It just happens to be where that fat fuck lives.

Didn’t Ketch move to the Houston area within the last couple years?

22 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Didn’t Ketch move to the Houston area within the last couple years?

Yes. I’m sure Sydney doesn’t care. I think it’s great. I’d be for him moving to Mars. The spacecraft would need double doors and a much bigger septic tank, though. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Get ln My Van said:

I mean, you posted an obscure pic of Liucci implying Ketch has never looked that good.

To be fair, the jean jacket is a handsome touch.

i was responding to this:

the ability to drop 100 pounds and keep it off

that "obscure pic" is literally the first picture that isn't him sitting down on his instagram, i did a google search but that didn't prove the point.

image.thumb.png.a9c91cf6be9e0cd31ee874e5819f1710.png

also my entire point was that as shitty as Liucci is, Ketch is actually worse across the board.

Edited by NoName

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

that "obscure pic" is literally the first picture that isn't him sitting down on his instagram, i did a google search but that didn't prove the point.

also my entire point was that as shitty as Liucci is, Ketch is actually worse across the board.

Yeah and no one really gives a fuck, and you do come across like a Liucci fanboy so please shut the fuck up about it.

Wait, Ketchum lives in Houston now? I feel like we would have noticed a seismic shift on multiple fronts - toilet paper shortages, bacon shortages, wing shortages, other meat shortages, and entire swaths of the population sheltering in place to avoid becoming a snack. 

Wait.

Hang on. Are you telling me ... are you telling me that Geoff Ketchum is corona?!

Christ. Now it all makes sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Wait, Ketchum lives in Houston now? I feel like we would have noticed a seismic shift on multiple fronts - toilet paper shortages, bacon shortages, wing shortages, other meat shortages, and entire swaths of the population sheltering in place to avoid becoming a snack. 

Wait.

Hang on. Are you telling me ... are you telling me that Geoff Ketchum is corona?!

Christ. Now it all makes sense. 

Heard he was renting your Galveston beach house. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Yeah and no one really gives a fuck, and you do come across like a Liucci fanboy so please shut the fuck up about it.

surprise wtf GIF

reading comprehension is really hard for some people. if you read this and say "yeah, this guy loves Billy Liucci" instead of "this guy hates Ketch" you really, really, really need to read it again

Spoiler

is this the same guy who had their baseball writer put in a crystal ball for someone (Anthony Hill?) months ago for his first CB ever because Ketch put one in with no information and he wanted cover?

straight up: fuck that guy. FCB and Old Man Bowles at least know who they are and what they are doing. Ketch is the perfect combo of incompetent, lazy, unlikable, and the only person on the internet who can come out of a fight with Billy Liucci looking like the bigger asshole.

it isn't like he is too much of a homer, so he does stuff for Texas. or he gets his info (and gets tricked) by 7 on 7 trainers. or loves a specific area of the state more than others. or has some network of people who trust him and tell him stuff - which is pretty hard to NOT have when you have done this for like 20 years. he is just one of the laziest 9.95ers in the country who also happens to be on a lifelong search for a ham guy after his last one retired early.

actually, the more i think about it, Ketch is the dollar store version of Billy Liucci.

Liucci has everything Ketch really wants - adored by people on his website, direct connection to the athletic dept, well thought of amongst his school's fans (even if they are super misguided), twice as many twitter followers, relationships with current and former players and the ability to drop 100 pounds and keep it off

• Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I am all for being wrong on this one, but I'm pretty fucking skeptical that Hill will be decommitting. 

I'm sure he won't be, but what I've been typing about on this board since late winter is playing out in almost paint-by-numbers fashion for the aggies in this cycle. Just as it was laid out by folks starting in Dec 20/Jan 21 that the aggies were all-in on killing it with the 2022 class, variables from various corners of CFB-land have been coming in negatively for the aggies in this cycle from the jump. 

1) The prior class' financials were poorly planned. Various folks associated to the program also did too much chest-puffing. Guys that signed and didn't get paid got pissed. Guys that got less and heard about it got pissed. Guys on the roster got pissed. 

2) Earmarked money for the future suddenly had to be repurposed to stem the negative tide with the players already in the bag for the program and on the roster. 

3) A lot of other programs got fucking pissed. Like red hot pissed. There was no coalescence of positioning by the rivals, but all of them are doing their level best to beat the shit out of Fisher with this cycle's class. ATM is being negatively recruited in ways that would make Gary Patterson and Rick Neuheisel blush. 

4) Recruits talk to each other, they talk to coaches, they talk to guys who signed, etc. There's no way to keep a lid on buzz these days. 

5) NIL went from infancy to adolescence overnight. Meanwhile, ATM and Fisher were openly selling against it as a farce compared to real.bags.dropped. and wound up looking like fools. They're still sitting on their hands and NIL is emerging as the single driving force in recruiting. 

6) They went 8-4 and embarrassed themselves with a bowl forfeit. 

7) Fisher and the admin walked into the trap with Saban. They're now in a position of trying to act like they've never done a single illicit thing and also playing stupid on NIL. It's bizarre. 

8 ) The NCAA has asked uncomfortable questions. It's pretty fucking hard to fake LLC origination dates. Hard to fake anything in the past that was supposed to be legitimate, too. This isn't 1920. The NCAA is virtually dickless, but ATM cares more about perception and keeping up appearances than damned near anything else.

Anyway, we could go on, but simply nothing right now is going in ATM's favor and they don't have the endless bags of money that their message board clowns think they do. They basically need a very big winning season. If Hill really is the only big fish in their netting while they're staggering to their typical unimpressive 8-4 season, getting guys like Hicks or Taviano excited to join in will be tougher than it looks right now. Now Owens, he's going to the highest bidder who can also keep his father out of prison, so I can see him winding up at ATM.

And think about this - with Adazzio and Fisher manning the OL decisions, they're trending heavily towards what happened on the OL at FSU. We have a legitimate chance to witness some true hilarity in the next few years. They've created absurd expectations for themselves at the national level and you can already see the media turning towards mockery if they don't start winning.

I am also gonna have my popcorn ready when their mercenary class reaches the next transfer portal window now that NIL rates have exploded

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Just giving you shit man lol. I agree Ketch is probably worse, but it’s close.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Heard he was renting your Galveston beach house. 

1) While that house withstood several hurricanes and numerous tropical storms, there is no way it could handle that fucking blob and his food provisions.

2) I no longer own in Galveston, unfortunately. We were just not able to go down enough anymore due to kids growing up and business-related stuff, so we sold it. 

3) Thanks for reminding me of lost treasure. I'll be back, dammit.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, tokamak said:

Decommit szn is certainly funny but Rogers bailing is actually bad for us if he's LSU bound, which looks likely. Just makes A&M that much more desperate for Toviano. We know the game plan when they get desperate for a particular guy.

Oh shit, they're going to pull out the Trans Am

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

2) I no longer own in Galveston, unfortunately. We were just not able to go down enough anymore due to kids growing up, so we sold it. 

3) Thanks for reminding me of lost treasure. I'll be back, dammit.

You chose poorly. Actually selling this year and buying it back in a few is probably a profitable venture except for the high transaction costs.

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Yes. I’m sure Sydney doesn’t care. I think it’s great. I’d be for him moving to Mars. The spacecraft would need double doors and a much bigger septic tank, though. 

I mean, I care now. Knowing that fat lap band snapping fuck is tangentially near me will absolutely have an effect on my dining decisions, as well as my fucking grocery shopping decisions. I didn't realize I needed to be stockpiling Ham, even in this economy, but alas here we fucking are...

I'm guessing he moved to Katy. 

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You chose poorly. Actually selling this year and buying it back in a few is probably a profitable venture except for the high transaction costs.

This is impressive, even by the high standard of absurdity you and others have set on this board. You managed to directly contradict yourself in back to back sentences, in a post that was exactly two sentences. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is impressive, even by the high standard of absurdity you and others have set on this board. You managed to directly contradict yourself in back to back sentences, in a post that was exactly two sentences. 

Well, in the first sentence I was joking around with him. Then, in the second one I actually thought about it and decided that it probably was a good decision financially. And don't worry, I'm not encroaching on your friendship. You are still his bestest.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Well, in the first sentence I was joking around with him. Then, in the second one I actually thought about it and decided that it probably was a good decision financially. And don't worry, I'm not encroaching on your friendship. You are still his bestest.

I've already set aside about 10k for a fireworks display on the day of his funeral. 

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've already set aside about 10k for a fireworks display on the day of his funeral. 

Strapping all that to the coffin still isn't going to get him to space. I know he wants you to scatter his ashes on the moon, but surely you can try a little harder than this. 

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Strapping all that to the coffin still isn't going to get him to space. I know he wants you to scatter his ashes on the moon, but surely you can try a little harder than this. 

Counterpoint: There's a poster on this site who lives off grid in Alaska, and I bet he'd let me dump the ashes in his outhouse before winter free of charge. I'd still do the fireworks, though. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1