Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Speedway said:

Does anyone remember Suzanne Halliburton's "Hotline" number for the recorded recruiting updates?

Oh yes, we used to wear that thing out.

A buddy and I were young associates at our first firm back then and the office manager came to us, asking with raised eyebrows, about all of these 900 number calls from our extensions.  Not sure she bought our explanation that they were all recruiting-related.

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

Yeah. That guy came back, tried to recreate his own fame be announcing himself as the "UT Pimp Story Guy" then basically embarrassed himself here and was shocked that everyone turned to mocking his behavior. He tried to big time everyone. I believe it was then revealed he'd been struggling with alcoholism, lost a lot of money gambling, and basically life had not gone his way. I believe another poster who knew him tried to apologize for him. And if memory serves, he ended up dying at some point. 

This is all from memory, so I am probably mistaking quite a few points and details here, but that's what I'm able to pull out of my ass at the moment. Anyone else remembering anything like this for that guy?

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, NoName said:

http://www.cafepress.com/ut_pimp

RIP - @THUJONE perhaps you should recreate those although in 2022 it may not work 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. That guy came back, tried to recreate his own fame be announcing himself as the "UT Pimp Story Guy" then basically embarrassed himself here and was shocked that everyone turned to mocking his behavior. He tried to big time everyone. I believe it was then revealed he'd been struggling with alcoholism, lost a lot of money gambling, and basically life had not gone his way. I believe another poster who knew him tried to apologize for him. And if memory serves, he ended up dying at some point. 

This is all from memory, so I am probably mistaking quite a few points and details here, but that's what I'm able to pull out of my ass at the moment. Anyone else remembering anything like this for that guy?

In other words, this man should be considered for Surly sainthood?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

That is how Gerry found out. Adams was also Ketch’s accountant at the time. I think PB mentioned it. I think everyone believes PB was Gerry. I remember the thread on Shaggy, it may be the only thing of value over there now, if that site still exists.

Uhhh, I am fairly certain it wasn’t Gerry. 

14 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Not sure if this was @SydneyCartonor @closetojumping but this is glorious

Everywhere and nowhere at once, sir. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

I've got one too, but it's a king.

Sorry you're a poor.

Touché 

but, if rattlesnakes and mesquite trees become valued commodities, I’m getting in the big cigar game, no doubt…that’s about all I’ve got on my ranch. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Unless I'm mistaken, I think that's a different guy. The guy who showed up at shaggy bragging was the dude who made the email about the all day drinking adventure involving the Texas - Nebraska CCG in San Antonio. JD something? 

The UT pimp guy showed back up too but I think he was a different cat. I don't remember his being such an asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahaha. Ketchum threatened him with his lawyers and @blacklab just laughed. 

I would be open to a $9.95er history thread.  Hell, some of that shit will die with some of us and already has with a few, but there are some really comical and otherwise interesting tails. 

Regarding Ketchum and Shaggy, a mysterious handle appeared on a thread on BarkingCarnival, Pandora’s Box, and posted on the thread where Ketchum had shown up and was arguing with people. Ol’PB posted the story of Ketchum hosting the Swing 44 golf tournament for Cole Pittman’s family after his death. He had a young gf/wife and kid left behind, if I remember correctly. Anyway, story goes, Ketchum took the proceeds from the charitable cause and paid off back taxes to the IRS and never held another tourney. 

Ketchum came unhinged and then accused PB of being me, which was always curious to me, because how would I know? Unless, of course, I was friends with someone who watched him do it and brag about it, which would have had to have ended up with that person quitting their job for Ketchum in protest. But no, fuck that. That’s too crazy. 

Anyway, crossover posting from someone like @Red Five/Nordberg, or one of the other regulars on both BC and Shaggy, happened. Next thing you know, the Shaggy thread is fucking bonkers and then that’s when Fat Chet showed up and attempted to throw his weight around. Instead, he had the cyber shit kicked out of him and he ran back to his safe haven to fire shots behind circled wagons. 

If memory serves, that was Pandora’s Box’s first and last post on any of the boards. Weird. 

image.gif.08178fc1366121e1d93910b9ec63abb2.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/9/2022 at 12:38 PM, closetojumping said:

Wait, Ketchum lives in Houston now? I feel like we would have noticed a seismic shift on multiple fronts - toilet paper shortages, bacon shortages, wing shortages, other meat shortages, and entire swaths of the population sheltering in place to avoid becoming a snack. 

Wait.

Hang on. Are you telling me ... are you telling me that Geoff Ketchum is corona?!

Christ. Now it all makes sense. 

On 8/9/2022 at 1:52 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I care now. Knowing that fat lap band snapping fuck is tangentially near me will absolutely have an effect on my dining decisions, as well as my fucking grocery shopping decisions. I didn't realize I needed to be stockpiling Ham, even in this economy, but alas here we fucking are...

I'm guessing he moved to Katy. 

He lives in the Woodlands, so you're probably safe unless you frequent the Aquarium or Taste of Texas 

I am not a creative guy, but its comically bad to put your punter's guns up front and on display in a  recruiting post. 

But the way he tips his hat is just perfect. If he’s not great at punting, then he’ll be one hell of a yell leader. He has flawless form and the long straight limbs of a ballet dancer, Vitruvian Man-esque.

Plus, his last name is White.