Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

20 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I had a Russian guy fresh off the boat who barely spoke English.  He would get a less than favorable yelp review.

Vadim Kuplunovsky(sp)?  Massively large dude?  
Told me I was miserably failing his class, until I mentioned I was interested in string and quantum field theory. Voila!  A solid C+ by the end of the semester, followed up by being nudged out of the engineering school by school administration 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

Vadim Kuplunovsky(sp)?  Massively large dude?  
Told me I was miserably failing his class, until I mentioned I was interested in string and quantum field theory. Voila!  A solid C+ by the end of the semester, followed up by being nudged out of the engineering school by school administration 

I have no idea.  His english was so bad it was basically a self taught course.  I managed my C somehow.

36 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This makes no sense. Geoff Ketchum owns the oldest and biggest Texas site around and this is a Texas board. He's not talked about any more often than Gerry Hamilton, Bobby Burton, Chip Brown, Eric Nahlin, EJ Holland when he covered Texas, Kirk Bohls, etc. You know, pretty much every other Texas media personality.

What's actually amazing is professed Texas Longhorn fans continuing to enrich a person who took money from a charity golf tournament in honor of a deceased Longhorn football player to settle personal debts instead of sending all proceeds to the deceased player's family. 

Just my reaction to the previous few pages. Carry on

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Deej said:

Anyone have the German physics prof who was really into western wear? Can't remember his name.

Don’t recall his name, but I had a German guy for …303k?  Was mechanics for non physics majors.  He was ok but took like a month off during the semester to go to Japan and work on unified force theory, and the guy he left to run the course was an Indian kid PhD candidate that was an MIT grad and had all kinds of trouble talking down at our level. 

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

The real Bill Guy taught calculus at UT for 40 years and was not an ass.  

I had him first semester freshman year for multivariable calculus. All I remember is him giving a long speech about how we need to study and avoid going out to the picture shows. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I had him first semester freshman year for multivariable calculus. All I remember is him giving a long speech about how we need to study and avoid going out to the picture shows. 

I didn’t get that speech. He just started in on problems on the board.  He didn’t look at notes or any other piece of paper the whole year.   I missed some stuff on a test and brought my paper up after class. He looked at it for 10 seconds and told me what I did wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On test days, Dr. Guy would walk in and write 10 increasingly complicated calculus problems on the chalk board, making them up on the spot (no notes).  And generally, if you got them right they resulted in reasonably simplified answers.  We never got a single graded homework or test back.  Ask about your grade...  "You are doing fine", or the dreaded "Better come to my office hours".

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Did aggy already write him off or is this worthy of another round of bitching posts?

I still wonder why Texas canceled his visit besides the fact that they had Payton Kirkland ready to commit. Check McVay's measurements, he's even bigger than Kirland. It's like he's another Cam Williams!

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

I still wonder why Texas canceled his visit besides the fact that they had Payton Kirkland ready to commit. Check McVay's measurements, he's even bigger than Kirland. It's like he's another Cam Williams!

Bird in the hand vs bird in the bush who is also flirting with Saban

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texas Wahoo said:

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

I didn’t get that speech. He just started in on problems on the board.  He didn’t look at notes or any other piece of paper the whole year.   I missed some stuff on a test and brought my paper up after class. He looked at it for 10 seconds and told me what I did wrong. 

1 hour ago, 2early4flapjacks? said:

On test days, Dr. Guy would walk in and write 10 increasingly complicated calculus problems on the chalk board, making them up on the spot (no notes).  And generally, if you got them right they resulted in reasonably simplified answers.  We never got a single graded homework or test back.  Ask about your grade...  "You are doing fine", or the dreaded "Better come to my office hours".

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

1 hour ago, futureman said:

yeah that's him.  freshman year I was a rake.  and many years after.  I wish I remembered more about him.

1 hour ago, derpyhorndog said:

Probably not alone in thinking he’s the most badass aggy I’ve encountered. Had a class at the very end of his UT tenure and he was still sharp as hell. 

The Fundamental Lemma of Partial Differentiation. [shudder]

Only prof I remember was a little Romanian dude that taught electromagnetics in the EE school (EE345 maybe). Can't remember his name but he had all sorts of insane rules like men couldn't wear hats in his class but women could.

He was an awful teacher 

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
  • Haha 2

Damn that brings back some memories. I had Dr. Guy for my very 1st class at UT (fall 87, honors calc for engineers). The entire class consisted of working out and regurgitating calculus proofs. Proud of that A.

Super nice guy too

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I remember Buss for psych 101. First day  the old short dude walks into the packed auditorium at batts hall and announces there's a sign up sheet outside his office and anyone that beats him at racquetball, the entire class gets a day off.

Finally near the end of the year he asks a student to stand up, announces that the student beat him for his first loss

in a decade or so and next class was cancelled. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, kilroydos said:

Think about how I feel.  I came here to make the same Laci Peterson joke someone alluded to and then hit hours apart.

I was going to make a Laci Peterson joke as well but I lacked 100% confidence that I was right on the name.  Also didn’t want to give her husband an alibi, as Ketch eating her is completely plausible.

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I was going to make a Laci Peterson joke as well but I lacked 100% confidence that I was right on the name.  Also didn’t want to give her husband an alibi, as Ketch eating her is completely plausible.

Murderer Scott Peterson was back in the news today of all days. 

https://nypost.com/2022/08/11/scott-peterson-returns-for-final-hearings-over-new-trial-decision/#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16602773730778&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fnypost.com%2F2022%2F08%2F11%2Fscott-peterson-returns-for-final-hearings-over-new-trial-decision%2F