Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

7 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

Certainly not great from a 2022 team perspective, but Neyor will probably improve his draft stock more with a 2nd year Ewers... 

Milton and JWhitt need to show out. 

Agiye may see the field after all.

All in all, sucks

Can we implement a bilateral knee brace policy for all practices and scrimmages? 

Assuming Neyor regains his full speed/agility when he returns (which to be fair, most guys seem to do these days).

Very killer for this year's team but yeah could be huge having him next year when we have a better chance of being relevant (experienced OL, Ewers year 2). My main concern for this year is winning enough games to keep this recruiting class together..

Just now, Enchubben said:

What kind of fucked up scrimmage was this exactly? Did Pk give the defense aluminum bats to make up for his shitty D? Or was the scrimmage at Missouri’s pothole stadium? 

It's weird too because we had an amazingly healthy offseason last year. Then first week this year, they're dropping like flies

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Enchubben said:

What kind of fucked up scrimmage was this exactly? Did Pk give the defense aluminum bats to make up for his shitty D? Or was the scrimmage at Missouri’s pothole stadium? 

Yeah, when I heard some of the players were going clubbing, I thought drinking might be an issue: This was much worse.

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder if Hale is such a need if Neyor is gonna return in 2023 ??

Neyor is a draft eligible junior this year. 

Transferred for NIL. But also to get better tape against better competition. 

In past years, hed probably do rehab and try the draft regardless of no better tape. 

But now with NIL,  its possible it would be better/more cost efficient to return. 

I would truly love to see this dude coupled with a 2nd years Ewers and a 3rd year worthy, and TE Sanders. And more. Seriously. I hope for this year. But next years offense should be insane. 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I know it’s hard to do but let’s at least get to game 1 before we start talking about which recruits might leave the class.

I know it’s hard to do but let’s at least get through one scrimmage without losing multiple starters to season ending injuries before we start feeling good about the season. 

Bobby:

The Horns are hoping for commit No. 23 today. Defensive back Jordan Matthews of Baton Rouge Woodlawn is choosing between Texas, Michigan and Tennessee at 2pm.

Sam Spiegelman of On3 will be at the event and we will have extensive coverage.

Matthews has been a priority recruit for Terry Joseph since the winter, well before most other schools became enamored with him.

When did the heat really rise on Matthews nationally?

After he placed second in the state 200m and ran a 10.66 100-meter twice this spring. Most colleges weren’t expecting Matthews to have that kind of speed.

But Joseph was all-in on Matthews before track season even began and had built a strong relationship with Matthews and his family.

We’ll see if his early prioritization of Matthews pays dividends later today.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby:

The Horns are hoping for commit No. 23 today. Defensive back Jordan Matthews of Baton Rouge Woodlawn is choosing between Texas, Michigan and Tennessee at 2pm.

Sam Spiegelman of On3 will be at the event and we will have extensive coverage.

Matthews has been a priority recruit for Terry Joseph since the winter, well before most other schools became enamored with him.

When did the heat really rise on Matthews nationally?

After he placed second in the state 200m and ran a 10.66 100-meter twice this spring. Most colleges weren’t expecting Matthews to have that kind of speed.

But Joseph was all-in on Matthews before track season even began and had built a strong relationship with Matthews and his family.

We’ll see if his early prioritization of Matthews pays dividends later today.

A few rumbles of confidence on Tennessee boards, but most seem to think it's Texas.

Roach

Spoiler

The Longhorns keep chugging along on the recruiting trail following the recent commitment of Cedric Baxter. As the class continues to tick off names, the Longhorns keep moving forward looking to build a dream class in this cycle.

Texas will have another chance to add to the nation’s No. 3 class later today when four-star cornerback Jordan Matthews makes the call between Texas, Tennessee and Michigan. Texas seems to be in position to capitalize there, but as always, there is some last-minute intrigue.

Where do things stand on the morning of the decision, what does the rest of the cornerback board look like and what is the outlook for class numbers?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we try to answer all those questions and more.

PREVIEWING THE JORDAN MATTHEWS' DECISION
Jordan Matthews will make his decision this afternoon. The four-star cornerback from Baton Rouge (LA) Woodlawn will pick between Texas, Tennessee and Michigan. My pick has been on the Longhorns for Matthews since the spring, and I feel good about it considering the way the Longhorns have recruited him and the fact they received the last visit for him.

Since Matthews announced his decision date, there hasn’t been much deviation. In the last 24 hours, there’s been a small amount of doubt. That isn’t uncommon as kids try to hold on to their decisions and keep them as secretive as possible.

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)
As we reported earlier in the summer, Tennessee made a strong push. In speaking with a source, I was told that the Tennessee staff isn’t throwing in the towel as of yet. In speaking with sources on the Texas side, I was told that they feel comfortable with where things stand, but there have also been some mixed signals from Matthews.

I spoke to a source in Louisiana who feels that Texas will still ultimately be the pick despite some last-minute smoke. As of now, my read is that Texas should still be the safe pick, but I don’t want to totally ignore any of the noise we’ve heard. We’ll continue to check throughout the day, but the source in Louisiana feels that the Longhorns will come out on top. If Texas does add Matthews, they will be just a few points away from overtaking Notre Dame for the No. 2 spot in the rankings.

OTHER OPTIONS AT CORNER
If the Longhorns do add Matthews, they will turn their attention fully to Javien Toviano. The Arlington Martin corner has been playing up several schools in interviews and on social media. As I wrote last week, there’s some thought that he’s playing up the misdirection as we head into the fourth quarter of his recruitment. As I also reported last week, there is confidence in Texas landing Toviano based on several people we talked to.

Javien Toviano (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

I think it will be instructive to watch his actions through the fall. Regardless of what a recruit says, what they do is far more indicative. Does he visit early in the year for the Alabama game or another matchup? Does Texas get an official visit during the season? The fact that Toviano hasn’t been to campus in a while does give me some pause when it comes to buying into that confidence.

There has been some contact between Texas and former Texas A&M commit Bravion Rogers who defected from the Aggies last week. While the Longhorns have been working on him, I don’t expect it to go anywhere as of now. Rogers seems to be focused on several other programs at the minute.

There has also been some contact with another player at the position who is committed elsewhere. If Texas lands Matthews and Toviano, it will all be a moot point. If the Longhorns only get one or fail to get either, those other options can be explored. Steve Sarkisian mentioned last week that he looks for certain builds in a corner and likes them at 6-feet plus. That will be an important data point going forward.

ANALYZING CLASS NUMBERS

(Photo: Tim Warner, Getty)

Many people have asked about the class numbers, and they seem to be a moving target. Looking at the board as of now, I can deduce that the number is anywhere from 28-30. With the initial counter rule removed, Texas just needs to stay under the 85-man scholarship limit and not worry about the number of commitments in a given class.

As always, the number will ultimately be dictated by attrition in the fall. If the roster experiences greater than anticipated attrition, that would lend some flexibility to the overall number. We also have to factor in the NCAA Transfer Portal where Texas has been active since Sarkisian arrived in Austin.

Last year provided an exercise in understanding the way this staff manages class numbers. The bottom line is, the staff has a handle on what they can take and have proven adept at walking the line when it comes to class size and roster management.

TEXAS SUPPORT STAFF IN DEMAND

(Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)

The Longhorns lost a valuable member of the support staff in Jake Langi on Friday. Langi wore several different hats during his time in Austin under Tom Herman and Steve Sarkisian. His Polynesian background allowed Texas to pursue targets with similar heritage, but he was also often seen on campus hosting many different recruits and their families.

Langi played a role in landing four-star Kahuku (HI) linebacker Liona Lefau earlier in the summer and was set to play a big role in the recruitment of four-star EDGE Tausili Akana. Akana’s father regularly spoke highly of Langi and their relationship.

What does this mean for those recruitments? With a player like Lefau who is so far away, Texas will have to recruit him through signing day as programs like Utah and Oregon try to flip him. Lefau praised his relationship with Jeff Choate as a big reason why he committed, and Choate’s presence will help Texas there.

With Akana, it remains to be seen. Pete Kwiatkowski, Jeff Choate and Steve Sarkisian have all been heavily involved with that recruitment as of late. Akana plans to take his official visit to Texas in the fall, and they will have their chance to make a strong impression then. The presence of his sister on campus as a member of the Texas volleyball team helps quite a bit and the Longhorns have a need for immediate playing time at the EDGE position.

When staffs recruit well, it’s common for personnel assistants to be targeted. While they aren’t the sole reason or even primary reasons for commitments, they do play an important role. The Longhorns saw that when Ra’Shaad Samples was hired away by SMU. It’s important to keep top talent in place on that staff, and Texas has several stars.

Director of High School Relations Chris Gilbert (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

COMMENTS
Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris was previously approached by NFL teams when Sarkisian took over. Director of High School Relations Chris Gilbert is another who has been pivotal to the success of the Longhorns. With his long coaching record at the high school level, it would make sense for schools to target him as a possible on-field assistant.

It’s a tough line to walk because an on-field role often comes with more pay and prestige for these staffers, and not having an opening on the current staff could prevent Texas from matching. One thing I’ve heard regularly from high school coaches is that Texas needs to do everything they can to hold on to Gilbert who has such a big impact in his position. Sarkisian has placed a big emphasis on hiring high-quality support staffers and they will be regularly targeted by other programs.

Blair Angulo: Tausil Akana Setting Official Visits

Spoiler

The odds that Tausili Akana ends up playing his college ball in the SEC continue to rise.

The elite edge rusher from Lehi (Utah) Skyridge kicked off his senior season this past Friday and told 247Sports the path to an eventual commitment has become clearer, with four of the five official visit slots confirmed.

There is plenty of SEC flavor to the itinerary, with all four dates featuring either a current or future conference program.

"We'll start the officials with Texas on the Sept. 10 weekend for the game against Alabama and we're really excited about that one," Akana said. "I know coach Jake Langi just left but we've been building a really strong relationship with coach Pete Kwiatkowski for a while. The trip there this off-season was great and I'm looking forward to experiencing a game down there.

"The other three visits we have locked in so far are LSU on Oct. 8 for the matchup against Tennessee, then Oct. 15 at Oklahoma for the game against Kansas, and then it's Texas A&M on Nov. 5 for the game versus Florida. The fifth visit is between Oregon and Tennessee, honestly. Those are the schools I'm focusing on. The Oregon home game would be against UCLA if we make that trip happen and, if it's Tennessee we're still sorting through the possibilities. A lot of it depends on my own schedule."

Akana is the top-rated player in the state of Utah, No. 4 among edge rushers nationally and No. 34 overall in the 2023 class, per the 247Sports rankings.

Originally from the state of Hawaii, the Polynesian Bowl all-star and All-American Bowl selection has played his previous two seasons in the Beehive State and was credited with 78 total tackles, including 28 for a loss and 13 sacks, to help guide Skyridge to a state semifinal appearance last fall.

"Right now we're just taking our time and making sure we're checking off all the boxes," said the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Akana. "It's a really important process and I don't have a time frame for making a decision yet, just going off what feels right. If there is one school that just blows me away and I know where I want to go, I won't hesitate to make a choice, so I'm definitely just looking for that feeling to know where I want to be."

https://247sports.com/Player/Tausili-Akana-46086671/

Edited by Dummy
  • Hook 'Em 1

Scoop:

RECRUITING 

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn

The On3 four-star is announcing his decision today at 2pm (CT). Matthews is down to Texas, Michigan, and Tennessee. Inside Texas has been bullish on UT’s chances with Matthews since the spring, and after six unofficial visits over the course of 18 months, the Longhorns put themselves in a terrific position to land the Pelican State product.

With his father being an LSU alum, you always have to watch the in-state Tigers, but right now, nobody has been better in this pursuit than Steve Sarkisian, Terry Joseph, and the Texas staff. Add the fact Louisiana natives Arch Manning, Will Randle, and Derek Williams are a part of Texas’ 2023 class, and you’d be hard pressed to find a better recruiting cycle for the Horns in Da Boot. 

Sunshine State prospects

Texas continues to have communication with On3 5-star EDGE Damon Wilson (Venice, Fla.) and On3 4-star DL Jordan Hall (Jacksonville/Westside), both having conversations with the UT staff since Inside Texas made stops at the schools last week. Neither has locked in the September 10 OV to Austin yet, but it’s still being talked about. Wilson seems more likely to make an OV that weekend, as of today. Texas has also talked to prospects about coming later in the fall as well. 

In just reading the tea leaves, no one is as confident about Matthews today as they have been with other recent commitments. Hell, there was more confidence in Shelby picking USC than there is in Matthews picking Texas. It looks like he will and it makes sense that he will, but I don't think it's quite the slam dunk people are thinking it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In just reading the tea leaves, no one is as confident about Matthews today as they have been with other recent commitments. Hell, there was more confidence in Shelby picking USC than there is in Matthews picking Texas. It looks like he will and it makes sense that he will, but I don't think it's quite the slam dunk people are thinking it is.

Tennessee has had some confidence on this one. 

16 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Tennessee has had some confidence on this one. 

There's actually a tinge of cockiness on their boards.  Sad longhorn face and all that shit.  I don't know what their boards are normally like, but we shall see.  For a relatively close by announcement it's a bit of a surprise that nobody's going to be there from the Texas market.  Anybody from TN?

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

impressive hedge.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

There's actually a tinge of cockiness on their boards.  Sad longhorn face and all that shit.  I don't know what their boards are normally like, but we shall see.  For a relatively close by announcement it's a bit of a surprise that nobody's going to be there from the Texas market.  Anybody from TN?

thought IT was sending someone?