Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Easy. ROI

Why do you care?

So they want financial ROI that doesn’t involve winning titles as ROI? 

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Probably living in a place like College Station where they have nothing else to care about..

Why does it matter where you live? It’s about commitment to winning imo. 

I assume a lot of these guys are the same ones CTJ mentioned that thought Texas didn’t need upgraded facilities and the UT degree is more than enough?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

38 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Now this is concerning.  It means they either don't see the benefit, don't care enough, or have been soured on it somehow.  If it's the 3rd, please tell me Bellmont is not undermining you in what would be the pinnacle act in a long string of bureaucratic self-sabotage.

Excuse me, a degree from the University of by God Texas is enough for any of these young men, and if they don't see that they can go walk, HARRUMPH HARRUMPH

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

So they want financial ROI that doesn’t involve winning titles as ROI? 

You just asked what would make them care, so it would have to be ROI. That's what I want, but I'm not sure what their version of ROI is. I would assume that some want better access to the program, while others want to see championships. Hell, I knew a guy that just wanted to be able to say he was donor and got to meet Mack. 🤷‍♂️

Everyone's ROI is different and individually specific. Here's to us finding theirs and flooding their lawns with it.

2 minutes ago, Droopy said:

You just asked what would make them care, so it would have to be ROI. That's what I want, but I'm not sure what their version of ROI is. I would assume that some want better access to the program, while others want to see championships. Hell, I knew a guy that just wanted to be able to say he was donor and got to meet Mack. 🤷‍♂️

Everyone's ROI is different and individually specific. Here's to us finding theirs and flooding their lawns with it.

Admin needs to indirectly direct the BMDs that the ROI is winning championships and get that aligned. A whatever it takes to win approach through the legal methods. 

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why does it matter where you live? It’s about commitment to winning imo. 

My point is that I think a lot of uber-rich UT alums feel like there are much better uses of their money than spending it to win football games. Whether that's the educational side of UT, buying a vacation house, other charities, hookers, investments that actually return money, or whatever.

Ex: Michael Dell. He probably doesn't have a moral issue with paying players. He just thinks a new computer science building is a lot more important than football. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I hated when Neyor flipped from Vols as he would be awesome in that offense but I hated to see him get hurt. He seems like a good kid. 

Just now, Tex-19 said:

My point is that I think a lot of uber-rich UT alums feel like there are much better uses of their money than spending it to win football games. Whether that's the educational side of UT, buying a vacation house, other charities, hookers, investments that actually return money, or whatever.

Ex: Michael Dell. He probably doesn't have a moral issue with paying players. He just thinks a new computer science building is a lot more important than football. 

You’re probably right. Hopefully that changes once we join the sec. Recruiting isn’t going to get easier once we get to the sec and the top competition gets game results vs us. 

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Standish mentioned this guy as a potential offer at DB

https://247sports.com/player/randon-fontenette-46130689/

That dude can fucking ball. I didn't think he was regarded well enough for Texas to be on him. The fact that he's a Utah commit just confirms to me that Texas should be looking at him.

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That dude can fucking ball. I didn't think he was regarded well enough for Texas to be on him. The fact that he's a Utah commit just confirms to me that Texas should be looking at him.

Is this kid related to TJ Fontenette? If it’s his kid, he’s a take without even watching his HUDL.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The population that thinks otherwise is very small but potentially very powerful.   Maybe there needs to be a "name on the building" aspect to NIL, somehow.  The Joe P Trial Lawyer Offensive Tackle or whatever.  They way Stanford buys professors.

So we recruit Jordan Matthews from the start and make him a priority while other schools put him down on their list till he had verified track times yet he commits to a school that jumped in late.  This is the new recruiting world with NIL.  Literally nothing matters for the most past outside of what you have to offer from a monetary standpoint.  We benefited with Kirkland in the same manner and other recruits.  This should motivate the staff to put forward the best offers to elite prospects even if we are late to the party.  I guess this is sort of happening with Damien Wilson

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

What's up with that?

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The population that thinks otherwise is very small but potentially very powerful.   Maybe there needs to be a "name on the building" aspect to NIL, somehow.  The Joe P Trial Lawyer Offensive Tackle or whatever.  They way Stanford buys professors.

"That Ewers TD pass was brought to you by Matt's El Rancho."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

I would surprised if the staff didn’t have something lined up for Cook and Baxter the minute they step on campus as far as opportunities go.  I could be wrong…

The staff doesn't do any of this. Look at Burnt Ends, Horns with Heart, or Bijan's Lambo or Rhoback deals. It's fans organizing and running collectives or doing standard sponsorship deals from their companies and vetting them through UT Compliance and the Athletic Department.

For a less publicized example, Sarkisian definitely wasn't putting together Ewers' NIL deal.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The staff doesn't do any of this. Look at Burnt Ends, Horns with Heart, or Bijan's Lambo or Rhoback deals. It's fans organizing and running collectives or doing standard sponsorship deals from their companies and vetting them through UT Compliance and the Athletic Department.

For a less publicized example, Sarkisian definitely wasn't putting together Ewers' NIL deal.

The Texas holistic approach vs the cut throat approach. 

35 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Just curious because I'm not connected in any sense to this program as far as players and coaches and NIL outside of burnt ends.  Do you know that the staff isn't involved in connecting the players to the right people or relaying to certain staff/alumni that certain players need deals put together in the future?  I would be shocked if the staff isn't putting players in touch with the right people after their recruiting visits etc.  We know for a fact they pitch NIL in their presentations as we've seen screenshots of their powerpoints highlighting Bijan's and Worthy's deals.  Are they directly organizing the deals? Obviously no.  But I would bet they are involved in making sure the right people are connected to the players to make these deals happen when they step on campus.  

My point was the staff needs to full on press for as many elite players and do what they can to make sure they are connected with the people that can organize deals for them.  This is how recruiting is now at other schools.  If they are not doing this, then they need to be fired for not taking advantage of the resources our school, fanbase, and Austin companies have to offer.

Edited by victory88

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Texas is still waiting on big checks from *checks notes* pretty much every single one of our alums with a net worth greater than a million. 

Currently it’s Burnt ends on a medium scale when it should be a supernova scale. 5k 10k 25k and a couple 50ks…where’s the guys even the regular fan has heard of? Our NIL goal is a rounding error for some of these dudes

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

So we recruit Jordan Matthews from the start and make him a priority while other schools put him down on their list till he had verified track times yet he commits to a school that jumped in late.  

This isn't new. It's been that way forever  I've seen many jilted aggy tears saying, "I can't believe he didn't pick us. We were the first to offer him!"

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

This isn't new. It's been that way forever  I've seen many jilted aggy tears saying, "I can't believe he didn't pick us. We were the first to offer him!"

Yup, that was the point I wanted to make.  No reason Texas can’t do the same especially if resources are available.