Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Roach.  Mildly interesting.

Spoiler

— I also mentioned that there has been some contact between Texas and a committed cornerback prospect. That prospect is South Oak Cliff corner and A&M commit Jayvon Thomas. Thomas committed to the Aggies in the spring, but he's been talking to a few schools including Texas and LSU. It's too early to say if anything with Thomas has legs, but it could be time for Texas to turn up the heat there. It's also likely the staff will go back to the board and look for some options that could emerge this fall. One player I'd like to see them circle back on is Lake Charles (LA) College Prep corner Curley Reed who fits what the staff is looking for from a frame and athleticism perspective. Frisco Lone Star's Jaylon Braxton would be another interesting target to watch along with New Caney's CJ Blocker who could have a big year.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Matthews to Tennessee

It's not time to panic. We can overcome this at the CB position. The past 2 years remains a major improvement in recruiting, but it still needs a major overhaul and cooperation from the admin. The Average Joe cannot make much of a difference in these recruitments.  

The Matthew's recruitment is a consistent highlight over the past 40 years, minus a decade after the A&M/SWC cheating scandal. Enforcing fake rules impedes on the success of this program. 

In a world of incomplete data, Matthews has film and verifiable track times. When you find one with the film, measurements and track times, they're going to be worth upfront dollars on the market. It's hard enough to evaluate. This is exactly the kind of recruit you want on the roster.

If this is an attempt to save $ in order to land the 2 defensive linemen from Florida and Duce Robinson, then I will know things have finally changed within the admin. If not the admin, then the staff went rogue and had the players paid under the table. We have a couple of coaches on the roster capable of giving us a puncher's chance with that strategy.

UT makes nearly $200,000,000 per year and still refuses to accept the fact that elite recruits get paid very well on the open market. Other programs assist in bringing their networks together. Just knowing the history of this program, I seriously doubt there's been any updates here. It's up to the administration to bring the BMDs into the fold.

This coaching staff did everything right in this recruitment, had it won and lost to the dollar bill. I've lost how many times I've said that in my lifetime. 

You can't blame the coaches until you give them everything they need to win; even if they suck.

👀 👀 👀 

Caught up with Jayvon Thomas

Andrew Hattersley

Spoiler

Caught up with Jayvon Thomas

Andrew Hattersley

I went out to South Oak Cliff's practice this afternoon. There were a couple regulars who got the day off today including Jayvon Thomas but I did get a chance to speak with him after. 

He is expected to play both running back and cornerback for South Oak Cliff this season and said his goal is to reach 1,000 yards rushing. Schools including LSU, Alabama and Texas are working to flip Thomas but he said he remains solid to A&M and is helping recruit just about all the DB targets left on the board. It does sound like he could take a visit to Alabama this fall to watch them against A&M but said he will also see A&M play Arkansas and LSU (likely when he will take his official visit). A&M is going to have to stay on him but right now he continues to say all the right things and said he's solid to A&M. 

I will have a full story from him first thing tomorrow. 

Also got to see Kelvion Riggins work. He is a young player but the staff at SOC is really excited about him. Think he will see time at edge and linebacker this season. I expect him to be a highly recruited prospect when the time comes.

13 hours ago, ONE YARD said:

Why do yall keep posting that pizza the hutt fuck.? It’s not very funny. 

wait, you do understand that Ketch doesn't have this as his real twitter account profile picture, right?

chet_400x400.jpg

nor is he tweeting about ham guys or eating about a million wings at happy hour.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, victory88 said:

Are they directly organizing the deals? Obviously no.  But I would bet they are involved in making sure the right people are connected to the players to make these deals happen when they step on campus.  

My point was the staff needs to full on press for as many elite players and do what they can to make sure they are connected with the people that can organize deals for them.  This is how recruiting is now at other schools.  If they are not doing this, then they need to be fired for not taking advantage of the resources our school, fanbase, and Austin companies have to offer.

You've been hanging around with your avatar too much. Should we have the coaches ramp up the NIL deals?

14 hours ago, ONE YARD said:

Why do yall keep posting that pizza the hutt fuck.? It’s not very funny.  

pizzathehutt.jpeg.8b900b3172513adb75482daae3efa78d.jpeg

weirdscience-chet.gif.823d2d76c2efac603f9db94a0865ffda.gif

If you can't distinguish the difference between Pizza the Hutt (Spaceballs) and Chet the Blob (Weird Science), then we have no choice but to disregard any of your takes regarding what's funny or not.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, NoName said:

wait, you do understand that Ketch doesn't have this as his real twitter account profile picture, right?

chet_400x400.jpg

nor is he tweeting about ham guys or eating about a million wings at happy hour.

Yes we all realize that.  The parody twitter account is not funny.  It has potential but whoever is running it isn't funny at all. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

Yes we all realize that.  The parody twitter account is not funny.  It has potential but whoever is running it isn't funny at all. 

it has like twelve total tweets this calendar year, including a 4 tweet thread.

let's not act like they are running it into the ground with a bunch of shit tweets.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

it has like twelve total tweets this calendar year, including a 4 tweet thread.

let's not act like they are running it into the ground with a bunch of shit tweets.

They just need new writers. Someone clever.. funny.. dashing in spandex. 

i-volunteer-as-tribute-pick-me.gif

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Rivals released their 20 5 star prospects yesterday..  Arch is still#1,  TJ Shanahan is still #1 in TX (#10 overall).. #11 Anthony Hill and #12 DJ Hicks..  Toviano finished at #20. 

TJ Shanahan is #1 in TX?  The same OL who only has a committable offer to aggy and is trying anything he can to avoid committing to them?  That same TJ Shanahan?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

TJ Shanahan is #1 in TX?  The same OL who only has a committable offer to aggy and is trying anything he can to avoid committing to them?  That same TJ Shanahan?

Only person who has talked highly of this kid is Alex Dunlap a couple weeks ago at OB.   Not even Ketch has him that high in his personal rankings..  But I'm sure looch would have him top 3 if chooses them. 

Coordinating NIL seems like one of the biggest opportunities left for unscrupulous coaches and programs to continue to unscruple.

Every program is operating with what essentially amounts to an NIL budget. It may be poorly defined, it probably varies a lot from year-to-year, and it's certainly not public information, but no one out there save maybe Oregon has an endless fountain of cash to draw from. In any setting of limited resources, it becomes a problem of how best to allocate said resources.

So naturally that creates a big incentive for the coaches to communicate to the collectives/BMDs along the lines of:

• "this is a recruit that we absolutely have to have"
  • "we really need to keep this particular guy out of the portal"
  • "this isn't a guy that's a big part of our future plans"
  • "this guy needs to get X to commit but we think we can get an equivalent player for Y where Y < X"

I'm not naive enough to think that kind of communication absolutely is not taking place at Texas, but we also know that We're Texas and we love nothing more than fucking ourselves with the big, splintery wooden Dildo of Compliance. I really doubt that a program like say, aggy or Tennessee, to give a couple random examples, sees it the same way, regardless of the fact that "That's Not How This is All Supposed to Work!".

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Aight Mr. Critic. Give us a good fake Ketch tweet. 

I also appreciate that the last two tweets were more mocking how much he had fucked in up the last two days with completely made up "source" info and then he pasted the wrong image into a tweet

This is what I picture happens at Orangebloods

image.thumb.png.157bbd6238d14a555af9134ade97a356.png

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I've never thought that the tweets have to be funny. Ketchum reads them. He attempted to get the handle switched over to him via Twitter itself years ago and he also sent someone a threatening letter or email at one point. He's too narcissistic to not be reading them. So trolling his fat ass is as much a driver as anything.

The fact that Kirk Bohls follows that account is pretty fucking glorious as well.

Texas Longhorns Tuesday recruiting nuggets

Gerry Hamilton•about 2 hours

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Javien Toviano (Tim Verghese/On3)

Austin, Texas – The Texas Longhorns continue to have the No. 4 ranked recruiting class in the On3 Consensus team ranking.

With the commitment of On3 Consensus 4-star cornerback Jordan Matthews to Tennessee on Monday, Texas fans are pondering what’s next at defensive back recruiting. Inside Texas provides the latest, as well as taking a look at three other recruiting topics today.

Javien Toviano and defensive back recruiting

The Texas Longhorns are all in on On3 Consensus 4-star defensive back Javien Toviano. The Texas staff knows there is a legit shot with the DFW area star, and Toviano is mindful of numbers at his position. Toviano continues to consider Texas, LSU, Texas A&M, Oregon and Michigan. Look for the staff to exercise some patience at cornerback, and defensive back in the coming weeks. Both Texas A&M verbal Jayvon Thomas and former Texas A&M commit Bravion Rogers are on the radar, but Toviano is the target currently. That is not expected to change.

LSU leads the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine for Rogers, which could also impact Toviano’s recruitment.

Jalen Hale is the next big decision

On3 Consensus 4-star wide receiver Jalen Hale remains scheduled to announce his decision on September 21 at Longview High. Texas remains in a solid spot, but will have to withstand the September 3 official visit and run by Nick Saban leading up to the decision. Hale will follow up the Alabama September 3 official visit with a trip to Texas on September 10. Despite the unofficial visit to Alabama in late July, Inside Texas continues to receive intel that Texas holds the edge headed into September.

Texas enjoyed a big time summer run

Steve Sarkisian and staff had a monster 50-day run on the recruiting trail this summer. The run began June 23 with the commitment of On3’s No. 1 ranked prospect Arch Manning, and ended August 10 with the commitment of On3’s No. 1 ranked running back Cedric Baxter Jr. The run was made up of 15 commitments, including two 5-stars and nine 4-stars. The summer of recruiting run ascended Texas from the No. 13 to No. 4 ranked class in the On3 Consensus team ranking.

Inside Texas takes a look at summer run of commitments by date.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I've never thought that the tweets have to be funny. Ketchum reads them. He attempted to get the handle switched over to him via Twitter itself years ago and he also sent someone a threatening letter or email at one point. He's too narcissistic to not be reading them. So trolling his fat ass is as much a driver as anything.

Isn't this kind of like letting out room in your headspace at no charge?

spacer.png

Malik Muhammad update from an Alabama site

Spoiler

The Alabama Crimson Tide have assembled an elite group of committed defensive backs in the 2023 cycle. Four senior defensive backs are in the fold, with a trio of those commits — Caleb Downs, Jahlil Hurley, and Tony Mitchell — holding five-star status.

Nick Saban’s staff is hoping to add even more talent to the group, with one of their remaining targets being Malik Muhammad.

BamaInsider caught up with the Texas Longhorns cornerback commit to gather the latest in Alabama’s pursuit of him.

“Coach T-Rob, he really keeps in touch,” Muhammad said. “He hits my father up maybe two times a week. He hits me up weekly. They really want me. They aren’t finished recruiting me is what he mainly says.”

Muhammad’s relationship with Travaris Robinson began as far back as February 2021 when he collected an offer from the Miami Hurricanes. Since then and after his move from Miami to Alabama, Robinson has made a strong impression on the nation’s fourth-ranked cornerback.

“T-Rob is phenomenal,” Muhammad said of Alabama’s cornerbacks coach. “Cool dude. I could see myself playing for him. He’s definitely a player’s coach. He played in the NFL, so he knows what it takes to get there.”

Will Malik Muhammad return to Alabama this fall?

Robinson is obviously doing his part to stay in touch with both Muhammad and his father. For Alabama to make a serious push for a flip, they’ll need to get Muhammad back to Tuscaloosa either during the regular season or in December.

The product of Dallas (Tx.) South Oak Cliff says he will indeed return at some point this year.

“Yeah, I will take an official visit to Alabama,” Muhammad said. “Not sure yet [of the date]. The previous trips were great. I really enjoyed it.”

Not surprisingly, Muhammad remains locked in with his pledge to the Longhorns that he made a month ago. He did, however, offer up the following when asked about his overall thoughts on Alabama.

“Great program,” Muhammad said. “And the consistency of being great is alluring.”

Muhammad’s interest in the Crimson Tide was legitimate prior to his Texas commitment on July 20. He put Alabama in a top three that also featured UT and Texas A&M, with the program receiving multiple visits from him this year.

In a previous interview with us from a month ago, Muhammad went further in depth on what piques his interest about Alabama.

“I’ve been having a good relationship with Coach T-Rob,” Muhammad previously told us. “It’s just Alabama being Alabama with the DBs they’ve had drafted since Coach Saban got there. At the end of the day, it’s Alabama. If you can get on the field there, you’re most likely going to the league.”

Per the 2023 On3 Consensus, Muhammad is the No. 42 overall senior prospect in the nation and the eighth-ranked recruit in the state of Texas. On On3’s Class of 2023 rankings, however, he’s the No. 30 overall prospect, the second-ranked cornerback, and the No. 3 senior in the Lone Star State.

• Rage+1 4

Brenen Thompson and Savion Red are going to be interesting data points to follow this year. Based on their early returns (along with Worthy, Neyor, and Milton), Sark's WR evals have been nails so far. Red is especially interesting since he was a Sark special with few offers and a low rating.

On a related note, our favorite Sir Jeffrey Ketchup had this anecdote on Niblett this morning:

"Niblett: 10.41 (100 meters), 21.25 (200 meters), 23' 6.25 (long jump)... Of the top 30 wide receivers in the country, Niblett ranks tied for second in the 100, 3rd in the 200 and 3rd in the long jump."

Full stats spoilered. 14 guys had verified stats for 100 meters, 13 for 200 meters, and 11 for the long jump. Zachariah Branch and Pettaway are the other guys with equalish or better stats across all three categories. 

Spoiler

1. Carnell Tate N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
2. Brandon Inniss N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
3. Zachariah Branch 10.33 (100 meters), 21.01 (200 meters), 24' 0' (long jump)
4. Hykeem Williams N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
5. Jurrion Dickey 11.33 (100 meters), 22.52 (200 meters), 23' 9.25 (long jump)
6. Johntay Cook N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), 22' 10' (long jump)
7. Jalen Hale 10.84 (100 meters), 22.63 (200 meters), 22' 5' (long jump)
8. Shelton Sampson 11.29 (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
9. Jaquaize Pettaway 10.41 (100 meters), 20.81 (200 meters), 22' 11.5 (long jump
10. Jalen Brown 10.65 (100 meters), 21.27 (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
11. Jaden Greathouse N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
12. Ayden Williams N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
13. Makai Lemon N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
14. Noah Rogers 11.34 (100 meters), 23.24 (200 meters), 18' 9 (long jump)
15. Deandre Moore N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
16. Nathaniel Joseph N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
17. Aidan Mizell 10.65 (100 meters), 23.75 (200 meters), 18' 8 (long jump)
18. Rico Flores N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
19. Malik Elzy 12.35 (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
20. Christian Hamilton N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
21. Karmello English N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
22. Raymond Cottrell 11.14 (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), 19' 1.5 (long jump)
23. Niblett
24. Braylon James N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
25. Khai Prean 11.07 (100 meters), 22.5 (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
26. William Fowles 12.72 (100 meters), 25.36 (200 meters), 16' 6.75 (long jump)
27. Cole Adams 11.2 (100 meters), 22.62 (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
28. Anthony Evans N/A (100 meters), 21.1 (200 meters), 23' 4.25 (long jump)
29. Omarion Miller N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)
30. Bryson Rodgers N/A (100 meters), N/A (200 meters), N/A (long jump)

• Hook 'Em 2