Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Malik Muhammad update from an Alabama site

Hide contents

The Alabama Crimson Tide have assembled an elite group of committed defensive backs in the 2023 cycle. Four senior defensive backs are in the fold, with a trio of those commits — Caleb Downs, Jahlil Hurley, and Tony Mitchell — holding five-star status.

Nick Saban’s staff is hoping to add even more talent to the group, with one of their remaining targets being Malik Muhammad.

BamaInsider caught up with the Texas Longhorns cornerback commit to gather the latest in Alabama’s pursuit of him.

“Coach T-Rob, he really keeps in touch,” Muhammad said. “He hits my father up maybe two times a week. He hits me up weekly. They really want me. They aren’t finished recruiting me is what he mainly says.”

Muhammad’s relationship with Travaris Robinson began as far back as February 2021 when he collected an offer from the Miami Hurricanes. Since then and after his move from Miami to Alabama, Robinson has made a strong impression on the nation’s fourth-ranked cornerback.

“T-Rob is phenomenal,” Muhammad said of Alabama’s cornerbacks coach. “Cool dude. I could see myself playing for him. He’s definitely a player’s coach. He played in the NFL, so he knows what it takes to get there.”

Will Malik Muhammad return to Alabama this fall?

Robinson is obviously doing his part to stay in touch with both Muhammad and his father. For Alabama to make a serious push for a flip, they’ll need to get Muhammad back to Tuscaloosa either during the regular season or in December.

The product of Dallas (Tx.) South Oak Cliff says he will indeed return at some point this year.

“Yeah, I will take an official visit to Alabama,” Muhammad said. “Not sure yet [of the date]. The previous trips were great. I really enjoyed it.”

Not surprisingly, Muhammad remains locked in with his pledge to the Longhorns that he made a month ago. He did, however, offer up the following when asked about his overall thoughts on Alabama.

“Great program,” Muhammad said. “And the consistency of being great is alluring.”

Muhammad’s interest in the Crimson Tide was legitimate prior to his Texas commitment on July 20. He put Alabama in a top three that also featured UT and Texas A&M, with the program receiving multiple visits from him this year.

In a previous interview with us from a month ago, Muhammad went further in depth on what piques his interest about Alabama.

“I’ve been having a good relationship with Coach T-Rob,” Muhammad previously told us. “It’s just Alabama being Alabama with the DBs they’ve had drafted since Coach Saban got there. At the end of the day, it’s Alabama. If you can get on the field there, you’re most likely going to the league.”

Per the 2023 On3 Consensus, Muhammad is the No. 42 overall senior prospect in the nation and the eighth-ranked recruit in the state of Texas. On On3’s Class of 2023 rankings, however, he’s the No. 30 overall prospect, the second-ranked cornerback, and the No. 3 senior in the Lone Star State.

Just one of many examples why we can’t afford to shit the bed again this season

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Malik Muhammad update from an Alabama site

Hide contents

The Alabama Crimson Tide have assembled an elite group of committed defensive backs in the 2023 cycle. Four senior defensive backs are in the fold, with a trio of those commits — Caleb Downs, Jahlil Hurley, and Tony Mitchell — holding five-star status.

Nick Saban’s staff is hoping to add even more talent to the group, with one of their remaining targets being Malik Muhammad.

BamaInsider caught up with the Texas Longhorns cornerback commit to gather the latest in Alabama’s pursuit of him.

“Coach T-Rob, he really keeps in touch,” Muhammad said. “He hits my father up maybe two times a week. He hits me up weekly. They really want me. They aren’t finished recruiting me is what he mainly says.”

Muhammad’s relationship with Travaris Robinson began as far back as February 2021 when he collected an offer from the Miami Hurricanes. Since then and after his move from Miami to Alabama, Robinson has made a strong impression on the nation’s fourth-ranked cornerback.

“T-Rob is phenomenal,” Muhammad said of Alabama’s cornerbacks coach. “Cool dude. I could see myself playing for him. He’s definitely a player’s coach. He played in the NFL, so he knows what it takes to get there.”

Will Malik Muhammad return to Alabama this fall?

Robinson is obviously doing his part to stay in touch with both Muhammad and his father. For Alabama to make a serious push for a flip, they’ll need to get Muhammad back to Tuscaloosa either during the regular season or in December.

The product of Dallas (Tx.) South Oak Cliff says he will indeed return at some point this year.

“Yeah, I will take an official visit to Alabama,” Muhammad said. “Not sure yet [of the date]. The previous trips were great. I really enjoyed it.”

Not surprisingly, Muhammad remains locked in with his pledge to the Longhorns that he made a month ago. He did, however, offer up the following when asked about his overall thoughts on Alabama.

“Great program,” Muhammad said. “And the consistency of being great is alluring.”

Muhammad’s interest in the Crimson Tide was legitimate prior to his Texas commitment on July 20. He put Alabama in a top three that also featured UT and Texas A&M, with the program receiving multiple visits from him this year.

In a previous interview with us from a month ago, Muhammad went further in depth on what piques his interest about Alabama.

“I’ve been having a good relationship with Coach T-Rob,” Muhammad previously told us. “It’s just Alabama being Alabama with the DBs they’ve had drafted since Coach Saban got there. At the end of the day, it’s Alabama. If you can get on the field there, you’re most likely going to the league.”

Per the 2023 On3 Consensus, Muhammad is the No. 42 overall senior prospect in the nation and the eighth-ranked recruit in the state of Texas. On On3’s Class of 2023 rankings, however, he’s the No. 30 overall prospect, the second-ranked cornerback, and the No. 3 senior in the Lone Star State.

Fuck you Nick Saban (unless you want to take over for Sark, then we love you).

15 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

Yep gotta find a way to win. 

By hook or by crook (and a weak Big 12), we need to scrape together 8 wins. If we can get to that, I think we can hold the 2023 class firmly together and not lose any transfers that we wanted to keep.  We do that and 2023 could be the year this program takes off.

7 feels real shaky and we probably do see a couple jump ship. 6 and we really start taking on water. 

5 and we’re probably starting the Urban Meyer thread back up. 

This year just feels real important. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How is Ohio state that far ahead?

There as SO MANY Ohio State fans. They're everywhere. Every city seems to have like 5 Ohio State bars.

I think it's the unbroken history of success, lots of students and a huge alumni base, and a really populous state that exports a lot of people (that also convert their friends and family).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

There as SO MANY Ohio State fans. They're everywhere. Every city seems to have like 5 Ohio State bars.

I think it's the unbroken history of success, lots of students and a huge alumni base, and a really populous state that exports a lot of people (that also convert their friends and family).

Also, there aren’t really any competitors in state to split the population. Cincinnati joining the Big 12 might cut into it a bit, but it won’t do much to split the allegiance of the state.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Also, there aren’t really any competitors in state to split the population. Cincinnati joining the Big 12 might cut into it a bit, but it won’t do much to split the allegiance of the state.

Yeah, and Cincinnati is kind of like Miami (in this one way only) in that it's proud of being different from the rest of its state - hillier, more Southern, less classic Rust Belt.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, and Cincinnati is kind of like Miami (in this one way only) in that it's proud of being different from the rest of its state - hillier, more Southern, less classic Rust Belt.

Referred to by some denizens of that state as “Cincitucky”

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just like Jordan Matthews. 

Too soon

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Relevant to other fanbases' discussion of who's the biggest brands in CFB

Just sent that bar graph to an OSU grad who I dated all over my apartment in Biluenos Aires, including on top of the washing machine on the spin cycle…

Anyway, this was her response followed by my belittling her state followed by her rebuttal.

51F0FB66-81F3-4BC8-B850-42C97EEFFAD3.jpeg

And she’s not much of a sports fan, except for OSU football.

Edited by Napoleon

1 minute ago, dieucla98 said:

Haven't we learned it's not wise to share your text messages with your friends on this board?

I guess not. 

*Please Disregard The Above Text Message*

No pics because some fucking assholes in Oakland smashes the back window of my rental SUV (had booked a sedan because I wanted a trunk) and stole my computer and backup hard drives with all of my photos (and digital documents and written works) from 2008 to April 2017. (As well of most of my 2004-2006 photos and written works from then and before.)

🤬

26 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Just sent that bar graph to an OSU grad who I dated all over my apartment in Biluenos Aires, including on top of the washing machine on the spin cycle…

Anyway, this was her response followed by my belittling her state followed by her rebuttal.

51F0FB66-81F3-4BC8-B850-42C97EEFFAD3.jpeg

And she’s not much of a sports fan, except for OSU football.

I was born in Ohio State University hospital. My dad was on the faculty and was friends with Woody Hayes. I can confirm Ohioans are psychos…who also love football. 

• Hook 'Em 2

All I have to contribute is that I once connected on a flight via a stop in Cleveland and the airport patrons were the most obese I’ve ever seen, and I lived briefly in San Antonio.  

If that’s a statement on Ohio then I have a hard time imagining they have the life expectancy to have that kind of head count.  

I'm basically still new to NCAA Football but some of these "Football Fanbase" numbers surprised me.

Did Syracuse used to be a relevant Football school?  I know them more for Basketball.

I just checked Google... there are only ~5 million people living in the state of Wisconsin.   

I knew Penn St was famous for Football but didn't realize their fan base was THAT large.  

image.thumb.png.cb48100588125ae89d37131c5fe9d86f.png