Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

https://www.on3.com/news/simmons-scoop-keep-an-eye-on-recruitment-of-5-star-te-duce-robinson/

Here's Chad Simmons (On3 Director of Recruiting) telling us in not so many words that Duce is headed to Louisville.

I think Louisville and Oregon are likely to get him back on campus at some point this fall. Keep an eye on the Cardinal(s). I think they’re very sneaky this class with Pierce Clarkson, Rueben Owens and company. And Louisville’s very much in play, as is Oregon.”

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

https://www.on3.com/news/simmons-scoop-keep-an-eye-on-recruitment-of-5-star-te-duce-robinson/

Here's Chad Simmons (On3 Director of Recruiting) telling us in not so many words that Duce is headed to Louisville.

It’s him telling the world that if you want Duce you better bring a fat nil package

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The small type where it says Nate Silver from 538 pulled together this information tells me it's total fucking bullshit.

there are 43 people on the 538 masthead. ignoring the whole site because you think 1 dude (Nate Silver) is an idiot is dumb.

here is the full deck: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MiUOwx8X3H2bSkUOz8a1YhceyJWLLCoJ/view - it literally exists to try and drive business for Tony Altimore (Altimore Collins is his consultant group) - which is the @TJAltimore twitter account's owner.

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

SIAP

Looks like the Rivals update kicked in.
- We once again have 3 5-stars.  

- And we’re up to #2 in the team rankings. (W/ the Keely ND decommit.) #5 in average.

image.thumb.png.54e59b218928a6d20229386a1af9a91b.png

image.thumb.png.82fb8826e6a096d1191abae1783cce17.png

“BOMC!  They only got the ratings bump because they got paid to commit to Texas.  Jimbo wasn’t interested and is looking at national options.  They were too afraid to come to A&M because we are so loaded. Don’t care, got Jimbo!” - Every Aggie poster

21 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Higher ranked recruits are worth more and Texas has more highly ranked recruits than ND.

https://247sports.com/college/byu/Article/How-Are-247-Recruiting-Rankings-Calculated-139730851/

To be more specific, starting with the top rated player in a team's class, each successive player's rating matters less and less to that team's score. Hypothetically and all else equal, having a bunch of 5 stars and a bunch of bread yields a better team score than having every recruit in a team's class have the exact same rating. It matters a lot that we have a .9999 compared to Notre Dame's .9833. Also, Notre Dame has a bunch of players in the low .90s, but Texas has more recruits above .95. Also, the fact that we have a bunch of players under .88 and Notre Dame has none is less relevant to the team score than to the average

Edited by TotallyLegit

2 hours ago, NoName said:

there are 43 people on the 538 masthead. ignoring the whole site because you think 1 dude (Nate Silver) is an idiot is dumb.

Yesterday when I looked at that particular thread I am pretty sure I saw in the comments that the Twitter OP credited Nate Silver in particular for the stats. Perhaps I misread but I don't think so.

3 hours ago, NoName said:

here is the full deck: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MiUOwx8X3H2bSkUOz8a1YhceyJWLLCoJ/view - it literally exists to try and drive business for Tony Altimore (Altimore Collins is his consultant group) - which is the @TJAltimore twitter account's owner.

And let's just ignore the whole part about whether or Nate Silver is a renowned statistician or not, most likely due to political biases that should be taken to the cloak room. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Having an IT issue (can't post on the football board). Spoilering this because I don't want to clog up the thread. Tried to post a topic in the Help forum but I wasn't able to. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.66df5bd04890641f0d9749cdf99c631e.png

Bottom of threads on the football don't have the chat box. It's that way for multiple threads on the football board, but I don't have the issue on other boards (namely baseball and 9.95). Problem is the same in other browsers. Looked at account settings but don't see anything in there. 

inb4 why would you want to post on the football board!?

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

And let's just ignore the whole part about whether or Nate Silver is a renowned statistician or not, most likely due to political biases that should be taken to the cloak room. 

agreed on this front.

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Yesterday when I looked at that particular thread I am pretty sure I saw in the comments that the Twitter OP credited Nate Silver in particular for the stats. Perhaps I misread but I don't think so.

i just went through all the responses to this and as far as I can tell Nate Silver's name doesn't ever come up and at least one of the studies they reference is based on data from vividseats (ticket reseller) - so not sure how Nate Silver is personally the one doing it?

at least one of the studies (the one with vivid seats) doesn't even have Silver on the byline, just Rachael Dottle and Jake Lourim whoever they are.

my entire point is blasting the data because someone equates Nate Silver as the only person doing anything at 538 is wrong.

I'm basically still new to NCAA Football but some of these "Football Fanbase" numbers surprised me.
Did Syracuse used to be a relevant Football school?  I know them more for Basketball.
I just checked Google... there are only ~5 million people living in the state of Wisconsin.   
I knew Penn St was famous for Football but didn't realize their fan base was THAT large.  
image.thumb.png.cb48100588125ae89d37131c5fe9d86f.png
The most important thing is aggy is barely above 'cuse

Guess that means they need to double down on their diploma mill status
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hornlover said:

That's a weird way to ignore it. Maybe try harder. I didn't mention it because it wasn't relevant. If @NoName didn't find the mentions in that thread then it was either deleted or appeared in a different thread with the same graphic, which at the very least is of debatable accuracy and/or meaning.

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

That's a weird way to ignore it. Maybe try harder. I didn't mention it because it wasn't relevant. If @NoName didn't find the mentions in that thread then it was either deleted or appeared in a different thread with the same graphic, which at the very least is of debatable accuracy and/or meaning.

totally possible and probable. i've seen it all over beyond his twitter account, sometimes with and sometimes without saying where they got it from.

either way, all of the data isn't personally pulled together by nate, some of it is the vivid seats stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

It feels right to do this now instead of playing it out to the first game. I think Card got a fair shot and, considering experience and knowledge of the system, is a solid back up. I'd like to see Card stick through his entire eligibility. If he is nervous in games, coming off the bench is the best way to use him. (We all know the criticism. Take some deep breaths.)

Murphy can put in his time as a redshirt. I hope he sticks for three years. Such potential. 

Of course, Manning in the offing. QB room looks solid.

Hook 'Em, Quinn!

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

I'm not sure.  It looks like he has elite burst off the line, but this film looks odd to me.  Look at the 0:27 mark.  It looks like everyone is moving fast as fuck. The slot receiver, the blitzing middle LB.  Does this film look sped up to anyone else?  Maybe I'm trippin...   

Jr HUDL:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/14897517/61764477e97ae80728517366