Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Idk if this weekend helps but I hope Texas Coaches are going hard after Peyton Bowen!! Dudes a Player and if this weekend taught us anything, you can never have enough talent!! 
Bowen and Williams as a safety haul would be legit and maybe add in Toviano!! Shidddd

• Hook 'Em 2

Hello (from 247)

— One final note from the weekend. I’ve been told by multiple sources that Austin Westlake EDGE Colton Vasek was in attendance at Texas over the weekend. I’m still working to confirm that myself, but that would obviously be a development. The Longhorns haven’t given up on the Oklahoma commit and should continue to make a push there. With a huge need at the EDGE position and the dynamic talent that Vasek presents, it’s encouraging to see that the Longhorns haven’t raised the white flag on the hometown defender

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Hello (from 247)

— One final note from the weekend. I’ve been told by multiple sources that Austin Westlake EDGE Colton Vasek was in attendance at Texas over the weekend. I’m still working to confirm that myself, but that would obviously be a development. The Longhorns haven’t given up on the Oklahoma commit and should continue to make a push there. With a huge need at the EDGE position and the dynamic talent that Vasek presents, it’s encouraging to see that the Longhorns haven’t raised the white flag on the hometown defender

Venables better pull the offer! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

That doesn’t make sense. 

To me, if they already planned the trip out, it makes sense to send then anyway if they're seriously interested in Texas. The goal is for the whole family to get to see things. Also if theure just fans of CFB in general. Why wouldn't you take a trip to Bama vs Texas?

Spoiler

The Stampede: Wrapping up the big recruiting weekend in Austin

By Mike Roach

It was almost a huge victory weekend in Austin as the Longhorns came up just short of pulling off a huge upset in front of a big group of recruits against No. 1 Alabama at home. Despite a less than desirable result, recruiting buzz is still strong coming out of the weekend.

The Longhorns will now try to go about finishing their 2023 class that currently ranks No. 2 in the nation with 22 commits. The staff had a strong chance over the weekend hosting several official visitors and a host of unofficial visitors.

Coming out of the weekend, we’ve checked in with several sources to get the latest on those recruits and where things stand in their recruitments as of now. Can Texas close on several highly-rated 2023 prospects to continue adding high-value targets to the roster?
In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we provide a post-visit update on the top targets in Austin on Saturday.

— Four-star Longview wide receiver Jalen Hale made his official visit to Austin over the weekend, and the stakes were high for Texas going into the trip. In the week leading up, we heard a lot of mixed messages regarding the east Texas playmaker. For the last few months, we’ve heard of Texas gaining rapid momentum in his recruitment, but an official visit to Alabama last week provided a little bit of buzz as well depending on who you talked to. Going into the weekend, Texas needed to make an impression regardless, and it sounds like they did. Hale spent a lot of time with Xavier Worthy on the trip, and he was able to see firsthand the way the Texas offense utilizes receivers and schemes them open. Add in what Quinn Ewers was able to show before exiting the game with an injury, and I think it was a successful venture for both sides. Hale is still slated to make an official visit to College Station next week before making his decision.

Though the Aggies seem to be reeling a bit coming off of a loss to Appalachian State, his relationship with former Longview quarterback Haynes King is enough to garner a trip. I think it goes it without saying that we can never discount Alabama and the Crimson Tide should be considered a factor until the day Hale signs his letter of intent. Despite their offensive struggles, the Aggies proved last year that they can win these types of recruitments as well. If he makes the trip to College Station next week, it will be a variable we have to consider, but the read right now is that Texas is where it wants to be as the recruitment heads toward a decision. If the Longhorns come out on the winning end, they should be done at the wide receiver position for the year with a fantastic haul for Brennan Marion in year one of his tenure. If Texas loses out on Hale, look for other options such as Mikal Harrison-Pilot or even Kyle Parker who is currently committed to LSU.

— The visit for Lehi (Utah) Skyridge EDGE Tausili Akana ran until the late afternoon of Sunday. I was told by a source close to Akana that Texas showed off the best they could with a raucous gameday environment and a strong performance by the Texas defense. I was also told that the gameplan put together by Pete Kwiatkowski for Alabama was something that that stuck out. Texas has a few things in their favor, with the chief among them being Akana’s sister who currently plays for the Texas volleyball team after transferring from Nebraska.

The family has other friends in the area as well. Austin would be a suitable area for the family to travel to with these conditions, and they have direct flights to Hawai’i where his family is located. Still, Akana will go through the remainder of the process. He has visits scheduled to LSU, Oklahoma and Texas A&M remaining along with the possibility of taking one to Oregon who is involved in the recruitment. I don’t have any expectations that Akana will make his decision before the visit process is done, so we will wait to see how it comes out. I do believe Texas did everything they could this weekend with the trip.

— Due to a rainout in Arizona on Friday night, five-star Phoenix (AZ) Pinnacle Duce Robinson could not make it in to Austin for his official visit. Kids miss visits for a multitude of reasons, but this was the definition of out of his control. Robinson has visits upcoming to Georgia at the end of this month and Alabama in October. He’s already taken his official visit to USC and will work to reschedule something with Texas.

Looking at the schedule, the realistic weekends for his return during the season would be October 15 against Iowa State, November 12 against TCU or November 25 against Baylor. I’d probably guess that Baylor is the target date but it will all have to line up with Robinson’s high school schedule. From what we know, Robinson is planning to decide late in the process. That should allow Texas to get a trip in and possibly have the last visit for the elite two-sport star.

— Four-star Garland Naaman Forest DL Markis Deal told Horns247 that he was blown away with the experience and loved the way the coaches had the team prepared. He was also impressed by the fan turnout and the electricity in the stadium on a big gameday. Deal already has three visits out of the way with a trip to Georgia slated in September. He’ll have one visit remaining and said he will choose between OU and Texas

On Friday, he told Hudson Standish of Horns247 that Texas is a strong contender to get the last visit following the season. The Longhorns have been playing from behind in this recruitment, but they seem to be rounding into form at the right time. Regardless of if he takes an official visit or not, Deal told us he plans to return to Texas for another unofficial visit this season. If the Longhorns stay the course in this recruitment and keep playing well up front, they could add Deal to the class by the end of the cycle.

— The reviews on the big game environment were incredibly strong from everyone we talked with. That wasn’t just idle talk. Even through the television broadcast, the crowd noise was noticeable. One particular person I spoke to who was there with a prospect for a visit said it was the craziest environment he’s ever seen. This person is a skills trainer who regularly spends weekends on college campuses with his kids. It’s an unrealistic expectation to expect DKR to be that way each and every week, but Saturday gave us a glimpse of the type of advantage both in-game and the recruiting world.

— One prospect who did not make it to campus this weekend was Arlington Martin cornerback Javien Toviano. The four-star prospect kept his intentions close to the vest and instead opted for a trip to Baton Rouge to see LSU face Southern. We’ve heard some things behind the scenes that would indicate some confidence in Texas landing him, but the facts are that Toviano hasn’t been on campus since March. Until he returns to campus, I’ll have to take those murmurings with a grain of salt.

There’s no doubt that Toviano would be a huge addition to this class, but the Longhorns also have to be ready to adjust and read the tea leaves accordingly. As Toviano takes his trips to other campuses, Texas has turned some of its attention to other targets. Red Oak’s Warren Roberson is one of those prospects, though the Longhorns have work to do as USC has a jump on them in the recruitment. It wouldn’t be a total surprise to see the Longhorns identify some other targets in the secondary as well as they continue their pursuit of Toviano.

— One final note from the weekend. I’ve been told by multiple sources that Austin Westlake EDGE Colton Vasek was in attendance at Texas over the weekend. I’m still working to confirm that myself, but that would obviously be a development. The Longhorns haven’t given up on the Oklahoma commit and should continue to make a push there. With a huge need at the EDGE position and the dynamic talent that Vasek presents, it’s encouraging to see that the Longhorns haven’t raised the white flag on the hometown defender.

• Hook 'Em 7

247 Recruiting Stampede:

Spoiler

The Stampede: Wrapping up the big recruiting weekend in Austin

By Mike Roach

It was almost a huge victory weekend in Austin as the Longhorns came up just short of pulling off a huge upset in front of a big group of recruits against No. 1 Alabama at home. Despite a less than desirable result, recruiting buzz is still strong coming out of the weekend.

The Longhorns will now try to go about finishing their 2023 class that currently ranks No. 2 in the nation with 22 commits. The staff had a strong chance over the weekend hosting several official visitors and a host of unofficial visitors.

Coming out of the weekend, we’ve checked in with several sources to get the latest on those recruits and where things stand in their recruitments as of now. Can Texas close on several highly-rated 2023 prospects to continue adding high-value targets to the roster?
In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we provide a post-visit update on the top targets in Austin on Saturday.

— Four-star Longview wide receiver Jalen Hale made his official visit to Austin over the weekend, and the stakes were high for Texas going into the trip. In the week leading up, we heard a lot of mixed messages regarding the east Texas playmaker. For the last few months, we’ve heard of Texas gaining rapid momentum in his recruitment, but an official visit to Alabama last week provided a little bit of buzz as well depending on who you talked to. Going into the weekend, Texas needed to make an impression regardless, and it sounds like they did. Hale spent a lot of time with Xavier Worthy on the trip, and he was able to see firsthand the way the Texas offense utilizes receivers and schemes them open. Add in what Quinn Ewers was able to show before exiting the game with an injury, and I think it was a successful venture for both sides. Hale is still slated to make an official visit to College Station next week before making his decision.

Though the Aggies seem to be reeling a bit coming off of a loss to Appalachian State, his relationship with former Longview quarterback Haynes King is enough to garner a trip. I think it goes it without saying that we can never discount Alabama and the Crimson Tide should be considered a factor until the day Hale signs his letter of intent. Despite their offensive struggles, the Aggies proved last year that they can win these types of recruitments as well. If he makes the trip to College Station next week, it will be a variable we have to consider, but the read right now is that Texas is where it wants to be as the recruitment heads toward a decision. If the Longhorns come out on the winning end, they should be done at the wide receiver position for the year with a fantastic haul for Brennan Marion in year one of his tenure. If Texas loses out on Hale, look for other options such as Mikal Harrison-Pilot or even Kyle Parker who is currently committed to LSU.

— The visit for Lehi (Utah) Skyridge EDGE Tausili Akana ran until the late afternoon of Sunday. I was told by a source close to Akana that Texas showed off the best they could with a raucous gameday environment and a strong performance by the Texas defense. I was also told that the gameplan put together by Pete Kwiatkowski for Alabama was something that that stuck out. Texas has a few things in their favor, with the chief among them being Akana’s sister who currently plays for the Texas volleyball team after transferring from Nebraska.

The family has other friends in the area as well. Austin would be a suitable area for the family to travel to with these conditions, and they have direct flights to Hawai’i where his family is located. Still, Akana will go through the remainder of the process. He has visits scheduled to LSU, Oklahoma and Texas A&M remaining along with the possibility of taking one to Oregon who is involved in the recruitment. I don’t have any expectations that Akana will make his decision before the visit process is done, so we will wait to see how it comes out. I do believe Texas did everything they could this weekend with the trip.

— Due to a rainout in Arizona on Friday night, five-star Phoenix (AZ) Pinnacle Duce Robinson could not make it in to Austin for his official visit. Kids miss visits for a multitude of reasons, but this was the definition of out of his control. Robinson has visits upcoming to Georgia at the end of this month and Alabama in October. He’s already taken his official visit to USC and will work to reschedule something with Texas.

Looking at the schedule, the realistic weekends for his return during the season would be October 15 against Iowa State, November 12 against TCU or November 25 against Baylor. I’d probably guess that Baylor is the target date but it will all have to line up with Robinson’s high school schedule. From what we know, Robinson is planning to decide late in the process. That should allow Texas to get a trip in and possibly have the last visit for the elite two-sport star.

— Four-star Garland Naaman Forest DL Markis Deal told Horns247 that he was blown away with the experience and loved the way the coaches had the team prepared. He was also impressed by the fan turnout and the electricity in the stadium on a big gameday. Deal already has three visits out of the way with a trip to Georgia slated in September. He’ll have one visit remaining and said he will choose between OU and Texas

On Friday, he told Hudson Standish of Horns247 that Texas is a strong contender to get the last visit following the season. The Longhorns have been playing from behind in this recruitment, but they seem to be rounding into form at the right time. Regardless of if he takes an official visit or not, Deal told us he plans to return to Texas for another unofficial visit this season. If the Longhorns stay the course in this recruitment and keep playing well up front, they could add Deal to the class by the end of the cycle.

— The reviews on the big game environment were incredibly strong from everyone we talked with. That wasn’t just idle talk. Even through the television broadcast, the crowd noise was noticeable. One particular person I spoke to who was there with a prospect for a visit said it was the craziest environment he’s ever seen. This person is a skills trainer who regularly spends weekends on college campuses with his kids. It’s an unrealistic expectation to expect DKR to be that way each and every week, but Saturday gave us a glimpse of the type of advantage both in-game and the recruiting world.

— One prospect who did not make it to campus this weekend was Arlington Martin cornerback Javien Toviano. The four-star prospect kept his intentions close to the vest and instead opted for a trip to Baton Rouge to see LSU face Southern. We’ve heard some things behind the scenes that would indicate some confidence in Texas landing him, but the facts are that Toviano hasn’t been on campus since March. Until he returns to campus, I’ll have to take those murmurings with a grain of salt.

There’s no doubt that Toviano would be a huge addition to this class, but the Longhorns also have to be ready to adjust and read the tea leaves accordingly. As Toviano takes his trips to other campuses, Texas has turned some of its attention to other targets. Red Oak’s Warren Roberson is one of those prospects, though the Longhorns have work to do as USC has a jump on them in the recruitment. It wouldn’t be a total surprise to see the Longhorns identify some other targets in the secondary as well as they continue their pursuit of Toviano.

— One final note from the weekend. I’ve been told by multiple sources that Austin Westlake EDGE Colton Vasek was in attendance at Texas over the weekend. I’m still working to confirm that myself, but that would obviously be a development. The Longhorns haven’t given up on the Oklahoma commit and should continue to make a push there. With a huge need at the EDGE position and the dynamic talent that Vasek presents, it’s encouraging to see that the Longhorns haven’t raised the white flag on the hometown defender.

Recruiting Scoop: Jalen Hale's recruitment heating up, Bama game visitor reaction from top targets

Justin Wells•about 1 hour

Article written by:Justin Wells

Will Gallagher/Inside Texas

Texas’ pursuit of one of the top wide receivers in the country is nearing its final stages after Jalen Hale made recent trips to Tuscaloosa and Austin. Info on where the Longhorns stand, plus recruit reaction from prospects in attendance on Saturday.

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas) 

Alabama moved the needle after last weekend’s official visit. Texas snagged some of that momentum back during Hale’s official trip to Austin. 

It was a much-needed boost in the recruitment for Texas and Inside Texas believes the Horns made a strong impression on Hale and his family. 

Hale loves the idea of playing with Arch Manning, Cedric Baxter, and Johntay Cook, three players he hears from on a semi-regular basis. Hale also loved the atmosphere at DKR on Saturday, like most recruits who came away thoroughly impressed. 

Hale is set to see Texas A&M-Miami on Saturday when he takes an official visit to College Station. Then he’ll announce his decision on September 21st. 

Texas put themselves back in the thick of things this weekend and must now stay the course over the next nine days. The fact they played so well versus Alabama was notable to his parents, sources tell Inside Texas. 

Markis Deal, DL, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest

Spoke with a source on Deal’s unofficial visit Saturday for the game. Deal really, really enjoyed the atmosphere, and he’s impressed with how much the staff wants him. The source said it was a very strong showing. The Deal’s love the direction of the program. One key aspect is the relationship with Bo Davis, and everything Davis has told Markis and family is holding true. The Deal family likes that Davis is a developer of players. 

Up next will be an official visit to Georgia on September 24. After that will be a fifth and final official visit. Both Texas and Oklahoma remain in contention for the final official. 

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, ATH/WR, Temple (Texas)

Hale insurance is covered for Texas’ target who took an unofficial visit to Austin on Saturday. 

“It was fun to be at and the best game I’ve ever been too” said Harrison-Pilot. “I can’t wait to see (Texas) play for the rest of the season.”

What made the game stand out? 

“The fans,” said Harrison-Pilot. “They made the game 10 times better.”

Harrison-Pilot still wants to take his official visits before making a decision. Oklahoma, TCU, Houston, and Cal remain on the radar for the four-star. 

2024 Micah Hudson, WR, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton

Hudson might’ve been more wowed than anyone. Hudson had never experienced this part of college football before.

The four-star loved the Texas-Alabama game and walked away with a strong impression of the Horns. 

Hudson’s recruiting attention has picked up tremendously over the last few weeks. Texas A&M, Ohio State, LSU, and Notre Dame are all clamoring for an unofficial visit this fall. 

Hudson is taking his time in his recruitment, and justifiably so. But from Texas standpoint, it couldn’t have gone better. 

2024 Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen (Texas)

The four-star defender and Texas target made it back to Austin to watch his brother, Neto, play the No. 1 team in the country. 

“It was live,” said Zina. “UT fans for sure brought the energy all game.”

What did he really like about the Texas-Alabama game?

“How (Texas) never gave up even after Quinn (Ewers) got hurt and all the bad calls.” 

Umeozulu’s recruitment is still in its early stages, but the Horns needed to make a strong impression and IT believes they did. 

Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and LSU continue to push for the metroplex star. He’s a maybe for Texas-OU in October. 

Warren Roberson, S, Red Oak (Texas) 

The 6-foot, 180-pound two-way athlete picked up a Texas offer last week. He had dropped a top five of USC, TCU, Oklahoma State, Florida, SMU in late August, but Roberson tells Inside Texas he might need to make a revision. 

Roberson was excited about the Texas offer after they watched him play recently and is eager to build a relationship with Steve Sarkisian and Blake Gideon. 

Roberson plays a scrappy, aggressive style of football, with speed to burn on offense at running back and wide receiver, and hips/quickness for the defensive secondary. 

More recruit reactions from Saturday’s game

2024 James Peoples, RB, San Antonio (Texas) Veterans Memorial: “The game was exciting. Loved the energy that the Texas fans had throughout the game. There was never a dull moment. Look forward to coming back to the 40 Acres!”

2024 Bryan Jackson, ATH, McKinney (Texas): “That’ll end up being the best game of the season, I think. I love what Coach Sark is doing down there building that winning culture.” 

2024 Dre’lon Miller, WR, Silsbee (Texas): “It was great, honestly. It was the loudest game ever.” 

2025 Tory Blaylock, RB, Humble (Texas) Atascocita: “Man, crazy atmosphere. I loved it!! Crowd was into the game, and I liked how they use Bijan Robinson.” 

Gerry Hamilton co-authored this story.

Recruiting Scoop: Jalen Hale's recruitment heating up, Bama game visitor reaction from top targets

Justin Wells•about 1 hour

Article written by:Justin Wells

Will Gallagher/Inside Texas

Texas’ pursuit of one of the top wide receivers in the country is nearing its final stages after Jalen Hale made recent trips to Tuscaloosa and Austin. Info on where the Longhorns stand, plus recruit reaction from prospects in attendance on Saturday.

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas) 

Alabama moved the needle after last weekend’s official visit. Texas snagged some of that momentum back during Hale’s official trip to Austin. 

It was a much-needed boost in the recruitment for Texas and Inside Texas believes the Horns made a strong impression on Hale and his family. 

Hale loves the idea of playing with Arch Manning, Cedric Baxter, and Johntay Cook, three players he hears from on a semi-regular basis. Hale also loved the atmosphere at DKR on Saturday, like most recruits who came away thoroughly impressed. 

Hale is set to see Texas A&M-Miami on Saturday when he takes an official visit to College Station. Then he’ll announce his decision on September 21st. 

Texas put themselves back in the thick of things this weekend and must now stay the course over the next nine days. The fact they played so well versus Alabama was notable to his parents, sources tell Inside Texas. 

Markis Deal, DL, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest

Spoke with a source on Deal’s unofficial visit Saturday for the game. Deal really, really enjoyed the atmosphere, and he’s impressed with how much the staff wants him. The source said it was a very strong showing. The Deal’s love the direction of the program. One key aspect is the relationship with Bo Davis, and everything Davis has told Markis and family is holding true. The Deal family likes that Davis is a developer of players. 

Up next will be an official visit to Georgia on September 24. After that will be a fifth and final official visit. Both Texas and Oklahoma remain in contention for the final official. 

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, ATH/WR, Temple (Texas)

Hale insurance is covered for Texas’ target who took an unofficial visit to Austin on Saturday. 

“It was fun to be at and the best game I’ve ever been too” said Harrison-Pilot. “I can’t wait to see (Texas) play for the rest of the season.”

What made the game stand out? 

“The fans,” said Harrison-Pilot. “They made the game 10 times better.”

Harrison-Pilot still wants to take his official visits before making a decision. Oklahoma, TCU, Houston, and Cal remain on the radar for the four-star. 

2024 Micah Hudson, WR, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton

Hudson might’ve been more wowed than anyone. Hudson had never experienced this part of college football before.

The four-star loved the Texas-Alabama game and walked away with a strong impression of the Horns. 

Hudson’s recruiting attention has picked up tremendously over the last few weeks. Texas A&M, Ohio State, LSU, and Notre Dame are all clamoring for an unofficial visit this fall. 

Hudson is taking his time in his recruitment, and justifiably so. But from Texas standpoint, it couldn’t have gone better. 

2024 Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen (Texas)

The four-star defender and Texas target made it back to Austin to watch his brother, Neto, play the No. 1 team in the country. 

“It was live,” said Zina. “UT fans for sure brought the energy all game.”

What did he really like about the Texas-Alabama game?

“How (Texas) never gave up even after Quinn (Ewers) got hurt and all the bad calls.” 

Umeozulu’s recruitment is still in its early stages, but the Horns needed to make a strong impression and IT believes they did. 

Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and LSU continue to push for the metroplex star. He’s a maybe for Texas-OU in October. 

Warren Roberson, S, Red Oak (Texas) 

The 6-foot, 180-pound two-way athlete picked up a Texas offer last week. He had dropped a top five of USC, TCU, Oklahoma State, Florida, SMU in late August, but Roberson tells Inside Texas he might need to make a revision. 

Roberson was excited about the Texas offer after they watched him play recently and is eager to build a relationship with Steve Sarkisian and Blake Gideon. 

Roberson plays a scrappy, aggressive style of football, with speed to burn on offense at running back and wide receiver, and hips/quickness for the defensive secondary. 

More recruit reactions from Saturday’s game

2024 James Peoples, RB, San Antonio (Texas) Veterans Memorial: “The game was exciting. Loved the energy that the Texas fans had throughout the game. There was never a dull moment. Look forward to coming back to the 40 Acres!”

2024 Bryan Jackson, ATH, McKinney (Texas): “That’ll end up being the best game of the season, I think. I love what Coach Sark is doing down there building that winning culture.” 

2024 Dre’lon Miller, WR, Silsbee (Texas): “It was great, honestly. It was the loudest game ever.” 

2025 Tory Blaylock, RB, Humble (Texas) Atascocita: “Man, crazy atmosphere. I loved it!! Crowd was into the game, and I liked how they use Bijan Robinson.” 

Gerry Hamilton co-authored this story.

37 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anybody a little concerned about CB?  Lost Matthews, Toviano is a wildcard, and Muhammed is going to take visits.

Kids are going to take their visits, y’all are going to have to get over that. aggy is not exactly playing from a position of strength right now with Muhammad. 

Toviano choosing to go to LSU-Southern on Texas-Bama weekend sends a pretty clear message though. Not even sure Wiltfong has any insight there, he’s just reading the obvious tea leaves.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Hate to say it but Bama clearly has something to sell Hale.  They got better in crunch time but their receivers had several drops.  There's a whole season to go so Bama'll most likely get a clear pecking order established once the dust settles.  But early on, didn't see anything overly dominant from the position.  

5 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Seems weird that this weekend didn’t have more Buzz. Maybe because it was at 11a and everyone committed early.

We only had a few OV's. The buzz created and cemented was with '24-'25. If we finish the season winning most games, this buzz will help cement rest of '23 class.

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't want to put too much on the aggie schedule outcomes over the next 4 weeks, but it is hard not to do so. If ATM shits the bed and goes 1-3 or 0-4 during that run, there is going to be a lot crawfishing coming from the people participating in buying players. They're trying to fuck with Texas on Muhammed. With MM, they're offering something absurd, but it's not clear that they can even get that done. Texas wants MM no matter what, in any event. 

If ATM is in Year 5 of Ritz Bit and they are sitting at 2-4 and trying to push for recruits, they're not going to have as much firepower behind them. To say that the money this cycle is being reluctant would be an understatement. 

Also, the word is that they're more interested in seeing Hale not go to Texas than they are in having him sign with them. I mean, in any other setting, I would say that sounds like pure bullshit. Of course, this is not any other setting.

Wait, so you think Bama looking like shit at WR is a good thing in recruiting Hale? I don't see that. Sarkisian and Marion have everything they need in order to sell Texas to recruits, Hale included. 

Do you think someone like Anthony Hill is shut down regardless of the season aTm has? 

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They're trying to fuck with Texas on Muhammed. With MM, they're offering something absurd, but it's not clear that they can even get that done. Texas wants MM no matter what, in any event. 

Just so I understand. Are you saying Texas would match? Absurd as in Hill absurd? Sorry, I know you're vague for a reason. Just trying to figure out if Texas is willing to outbid aggy for MM. hopefully it won't be necessary with as shit as they've looked.

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

247 Recruiting Stampede:

Hide contents

— Hale is still slated to make an official visit to College Station next week before making his decision.

Though the Aggies seem to be reeling a bit coming off of a loss to Appalachian State, his relationship with former Longview quarterback Haynes King is enough to garner a trip.

If the fans turn on King like they did Calzone, then being friends with King might be a negative for aggy trying to reel in Hale.

— Due to a rainout in Arizona on Friday night, five-star Phoenix (AZ) Pinnacle Duce Robinson could not make it in to Austin for his official visit. 

Rain in Arizona?

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

— keep playing well up front, they could add Deal to the class by the end of the cycle.

So Deal finally sees himself as a DL? Good. I assume he's an interior guy that liked what he saw on Saturday.

— One particular person I spoke to who was there with a prospect for a visit said it was the craziest environment he’s ever seen. This person is a skills trainer who regularly spends weekends on college campuses with his kids. 

So, Margin Hooks or FWK was there?

—  Javien Toviano opted for a trip to Baton Rouge to see LSU face Southern. We’ve heard some things behind the scenes that would indicate some confidence in Texas landing him, 

If Roach can't figure out that Toviano is gone after he skipped Texas/Bama for LSU/Southern and there should be Zero confident on the Texas side, then he might be clueless.

— . I’ve been told by multiple sources that Austin Westlake EDGE Colton Vasek was in attendance at Texas over the weekend. I’m still working to confirm that myself

Yep, he's clueless. He had multiple sources and yet he's still not sure and needs to confirm it himself. C'mon Roach. 

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Noozak said:

Do you think someone like Anthony Hill is shut down regardless of the season aTm has? 

I guess there's always a chance that the boosters ask Hill to take down Jimbo the same way Tenn did to Pruitt. 

"Keep the money, rat out Jimbo so we can get rid of his $85million contract, and go anywhere but Texas." 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anybody a little concerned about CB?  Lost Matthews, Toviano is a wildcard, and Muhammed is going to take visits.

I'm not. Like was mentioned above, CB is not the hardest position to find in the portal and as long as we hang on to Muhammad, we will be okay. It's encouraging that Austin Jordan from last cycle appear to be sticking at CB. That changes the outlook of the room from a numbers standpoint because there seemed to be questions if he would end up at safety. And having Allen and Hampton already in the boat in 2024 means that numbers still look good long term even if we end up only taking 1 true CB this cycle. Would obviously prefer we end up with 2 but I don't think it's dire.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Noozak said:

I really don't know. There are a lot of variables at play as of now. If ATM goes 5-7, does that change behavior with boosters to an extreme? If they suck that bad and the future suddenly looks uncertain in BCS, would Hill's camp take decidedly less? If Texas surges and wins 9 games including beating OU before the bowl season, does that make for some bold moves on the NIL front? 

I don't think anyone knows right now. The simple answer is probably "yes, that recruitment is shut down" because ATM rattles off 8 wins somehow and Texas finds a way to stumble to 5-7 again. But if those things don't happen, it gets interesting.

55 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Just so I understand. Are you saying Texas would match? Absurd as in Hill absurd? Sorry, I know you're vague for a reason. Just trying to figure out if Texas is willing to outbid aggy for MM. hopefully it won't be necessary with as shit as they've looked.

Just not touching this any more than I have.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Hate to say it but Bama clearly has something to sell Hale.  They got better in crunch time but their receivers had several drops.  There's a whole season to go so Bama'll most likely get a clear pecking order established once the dust settles.  But early on, didn't see anything overly dominant from the position.  

Not really. Bama has plenty of highly rated receivers, including Georgia's leading receiver from last year.  We just need Saban to wait until after their bowl game to fire BoB. 

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I really don't know. There are a lot of variables at play as of now. If ATM goes 5-7, does that change behavior with boosters to an extreme? If they suck that bad and the future suddenly looks uncertain in BCS, would Hill's camp take decidedly less? If Texas surges and wins 9 games including beating OU before the bowl season, does that make for some bold moves on the NIL front? 

I don't think anyone knows right now. The simple answer is probably "yes, that recruitment is shut down" because ATM rattles off 8 wins somehow and Texas finds a way to stumble to 5-7 again. But if those things don't happen, it gets interesting.

Just not touching this any more than I have.

To add to this discussion on booster behavior, here's a part of Godfrey's article

Spoiler

https://www.bannersociety.com/2014/4/10/20703758/bag-man-paying-college-football-players

This is, however, how a coach becomes a lame duck. If a majority of bag men want a particular coach out, they’ll just dry up funds.

“You can have a rival coach who is considered a great recruiter, and he might say, ‘We feel great about this kid, if we can just get him on campus.’ Well, what if you can’t even get him to show up? How great a recruiter are you now?”

This is a shining example of how influential shadow boosters are in the recruiting process.

”The coach won’t know exactly when we decide to make that happen, but they’ve got a good idea. Then we get to see just how damn good a recruiter he really is.

“I know one of our guys once stopped putting in big bucks, way more than what I do, just because a head coach cussed too much on the team plane. [The coach] was losing anyway, but because he took the Lord’s name in vain, that guy was offended by his morality and stopped illegally paying college football players.”

This will be interesting to watch across the sport moving forward. Theoretically collectives should be a little less fickle than bag man networks. That won't help A&M though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

— Hale is still slated to make an official visit to College Station next week before making his decision.

Though the Aggies seem to be reeling a bit coming off of a loss to Appalachian State, his relationship with former Longview quarterback Haynes King is enough to garner a trip.

If the fans turn on King like they did Calzone, then being friends with King might be a negative for aggy trying to reel in Hale.

— Due to a rainout in Arizona on Friday night, five-star Phoenix (AZ) Pinnacle Duce Robinson could not make it in to Austin for his official visit. 

Rain in Arizona?

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

— keep playing well up front, they could add Deal to the class by the end of the cycle.

So Deal finally sees himself as a DL? Good. I assume he's an interior guy that liked what he saw on Saturday.

— One particular person I spoke to who was there with a prospect for a visit said it was the craziest environment he’s ever seen. This person is a skills trainer who regularly spends weekends on college campuses with his kids. 

So, Margin Hooks or FWK was there?

—  Javien Toviano opted for a trip to Baton Rouge to see LSU face Southern. We’ve heard some things behind the scenes that would indicate some confidence in Texas landing him, 

If Roach can't figure out that Toviano is gone after he skipped Texas/Bama for LSU/Southern and there should be Zero confident on the Texas side, then he might be clueless.

— . I’ve been told by multiple sources that Austin Westlake EDGE Colton Vasek was in attendance at Texas over the weekend. I’m still working to confirm that myself

Yep, he's clueless. He had multiple sources and yet he's still not sure and needs to confirm it himself. C'mon Roach. 

Hale can catch up with King the whole game when he’s riding the pine after just 2 starts against world beaters. What a great recruiting tactic. We’re fucked.