Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Quick question - is there any reticence, hesitance, or outright objection among BMDs to donating their cash directly to players? It's one thing to fork over a half mil to get rid of an asshole coach you don't like, hoping that the next guy can get the job done. It's another thing knowing that your money is going directly into the pockets of 18 year olds who are gonna blow it on luxury cars and weed. I have wondered if any generational gaps - or even, ahem...."cultural" gaps" - might be in play here, or tightening the cash faucets. 

I'll hang up and listen....

Sydney touched on it, but he's nicer than I am. There are a few very wealthy guys with a history of involvement with Texas that have said they will give exactly zero dollars ever to NIL. The rest are listening and learning, and a few are doing. Please do not speculate on names on here or I am out on discussing stuff. I do not begrudge other peoples' choices in how they spend their money, whether rich or poor. In the grand scheme, like I said, I think Texas is and will continue to be elite in NIL, irrespective of whether or not any single individual is interested in helping.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sydney touched on it, but he's nicer than I am. There are a few very wealthy guys with a history of involvement with Texas that have said they will give exactly zero dollars ever to NIL. The rest are listening and learning, and a few are doing. Please do not speculate on names on here or I am out on discussing stuff. I do not begrudge other peoples' choices in how they spend their money, whether rich or poor. In the grand scheme, like I said, I think Texas is and will continue to be elite in NIL, irrespective of whether or not any single individual is interested in helping.

Are these people more like “if we go down this road my checkbook is closed to the Texas AD” or “I’ll contribute to a new practice field but keep my money out of the NIL pot”?

7 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Re: it being stupid and shortsighted - Perhaps, but CDC is the CEO and CEOs like to be in control, for better or worse. I also don’t think any of us should accuse CDC of being shortsighted just yet.

Jimbo Fisher likes being in control too, particularly offensively. “For better or worse” isn’t a defendable excuse, just like Fisher’s contract which gives him basically unchecked power is indefensible. Yet here you come, basically making that your case. Have fun with that. 

as for accusing anyone of being shortsighted *yet*, well, get back to me when you’re directly involved with the people in question and those conversations. Until then, take you’re Mack Brown apologist default instincts and Kindly fuck off. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Jimbo Fisher likes being in control too, particularly offensively. “For better or worse” isn’t a defendable excuse, just like Fisher’s contract which gives him basically unchecked power is indefensible. Yet here you come, basically making that your case. Have fun with that. 

as for accusing anyone of being shortsighted *yet*, well, get back to me when you’re directly involved with the people in question and those conversations. Until then, take you’re Mack Brown apologist default instincts and Kindly fuck off. 

Stop trying to be a playground bully.

This isn’t the forum to discuss CDC further, but bringing up Jimbo as a comparison is pretty dang funny.

We currently have a top 2-5 recruiting class per the ranking services (including the number one overall player), it looks like we’re trending for Hale tomorrow, momentum heading into the conference schedule, and we didn’t get killed in last years TP. Recruiting isn’t in a bad place.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

It's sort of amusing to think NIL started with discussions of famous college players being able to trade on their NIL. The examples were always the most stellar players and never linemen. So it seems to start as an issue over individual freedom. A person with value in his brand should profit therefrom.

Why shouldn't Jameis Williams and Johnny Football Manziel make money? They're famous.

Now, judging from the last two pages, NIL actually stands for the pot of money that can be doled out to players by entities that are not connected to the associated university. NIL is a jointly funded war chest that will pay players with virtually no brand identity of real value in any market. On this track, I'm guessing nobody will remember what NIL stands for or the origin of this new world.

As stated above, nobody knows how this will playout. Making NIL deals with players that actually offer no value to the payer seems to be setting a soaring rate of bidding. I hope the system we're discussing now breaks down horribly, and we start over.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

There’s a major BMD associate I know that is either about to write (or has just written) a huge check to UT that will include buildings being named after him. I don’t think he will put money into NIL (as far as I know) but it means CDC and UT get the donations they need that they would otherwise be trying to get from guys that are ok with NIL. Hopefully it all works out with enough donors in each category. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I just saw a poster in the pinned IT recruiting prospect thread that Ketch is saying on the current ongoing OB youtube livestream that Hale looking like he gonna choose Bama

Well that would be different than everyone else. 

Not discounting that a late change of heart to Bama is far from unheard of, but..... Ketch

17 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's sort of amusing to think NIL started with discussions of famous college players being able to trade on their NIL. The examples were always the most stellar players and never linemen. So it seems to start as an issue over individual freedom. A person with value in his brand should profit therefrom.

Why shouldn't Jameis Williams and Johnny Football Manziel make money? They're famous.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I just saw a poster in the pinned IT recruiting prospect thread post that Ketch is saying on the current ongoing OB After Hours youtube livestream that Hale looking like he gonna choose Bama.

EDIT:

Link to the OB After Hours livestream:

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well that would be different than everyone else. 

Not discounting that a late change of heart to Bama is far from unheard of, but..... Ketch

Ketch said in the livestream that if Hale goes to Bama, it won't be because of NIL.

32 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Stop trying to be a playground bully.

This isn’t the forum to discuss CDC further, but bringing up Jimbo as a comparison is pretty dang funny.

We currently have a top 2-5 recruiting class per the ranking services (including the number one overall player), it looks like we’re trending for Hale tomorrow, momentum heading into the conference schedule, and we didn’t get killed in last years TP. Recruiting isn’t in a bad place.

Being declarative and using profanity don’t make me a bully. Neither does tone, or anything else. Did I try to Liucci you to meet outside at the bike rack? No

I’ve made my points, and I’ve referenced actual real world experience working to get this stuff pulled together over the last year. Not because I get anything out of it other than, hopefully, a good football program. Meanwhile you dismiss the Jimbo comparison, as if comparing CDC to a guy who hoards power and lives in the past isn’t an apt comparison. 

you’re right. Recruiting isn’t in a bad place. I wonder what some of those reasons are? OL seems better, go figure. Recruiting wasn’t in a bad place under Mack Brown. As we all know, things can look great right until the moment they aren’t. Some of us are working to prevent that. Having some clueless interloper offering up his thoughts with no experience or reference might trigger a response from some folks. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I just saw a poster in the pinned IT recruiting prospect thread post that Ketch is saying on the current ongoing OB After Hours youtube livestream that Hale looking like he gonna choose Bama.

EDIT:

Someone in the the pinned IT recruiting prospect thread responded with this post:

"Bama 247 is not confident. Their Mod thinks its 50-50."

Shaggyhorn has jumped in to this discussion like a sock would. No idea what he is talking about but just wants to spew nonsense.

Anyway, there is very legitimate concern about donor money going to NIL vs. the athletic department. I’ve already seen it firsthand. But every program is going to have that problem.

• Hook 'Em 2

Being declarative and using profanity don’t make me a bully. Neither does tone, or anything else. Did I try to Liucci you to meet outside at the bike rack? No

I’ve made my points, and I’ve referenced actual real world experience working to get this stuff pulled together over the last year. Not because I get anything out of it other than, hopefully, a good football program. Meanwhile you dismiss the Jimbo comparison, as if comparing CDC to a guy who hoards power and lives in the past isn’t an apt comparison. 
you’re right. Recruiting isn’t in a bad place. I wonder what some of those reasons are? OL seems better, go figure. Recruiting wasn’t in a bad place under Mack Brown. As we all know, things can look great right until the moment they aren’t. Some of us are working to prevent that. Having some clueless interloper offering up his thoughts with no experience or reference might trigger a response from some folks. 

Most playground bullies I ran into did exactly as you described without resorting to fists. They shouted, belittled, and tried to berate using profanity their targets into submission. Fists meant they could get hurt, which they avoided.

I do thank you and CTJ for your work towards making this happen organically, especially for the O-line and keeping Worthy around last year. I read what CTJ says and take in the info, but we’re allowed to disagree with parts of it, hence my WR room assessment disagreement.

However, your Liucci reference is most apropos in that you’re trying to treat this as your little fiefdom.

I picked up my burnt ends today FWIW.

Carry on.
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

EDIT:

Ketch is such a fat whore for attention. His weak attempts for wow moments and clicks are always hedged, fucker was born for public service. I wonder if he has any real friends, who could be friends with this dude.

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Things continue to plod along overall. In reality, the NIL for much of the Texas efforts is being successfully funded via 4 routes: 1) corporate, 2) CFC and their 2 main benefactors plus a 3rd for hoops, 3) HornsWithHeart and the grass roots mid-level booster raising it's successfully doing, and 4) Surly for TEs and several other groups for other smaller dollars per player in non-football.

What that means is that everyone putting in here into such things is appreciated and continued support is needed. 

What that also means is that the big money outside of CFC, so far, is on the sidelines and doesn't want to participate because they haven't gotten a legitimate firm nudge from the AD. CDC is talking a good game, but if he really wanted NIL funded, endowed, and supported, the big money wouldn't be completely reluctant to even talk. 

People get frustrated, but I've raised a lot of money over the years. More than $100million through this kind of effort since the mid-2000's. It's quite simply a hell of a thing. Then it either falls apart or the dam breaks and you can't even slow down the influx of capital. It depends upon the business' outlook and market conditions. 

I have a high amount of confidence that everything will keep falling in place. Basketball has a big supporter through the BMDs and CFC already, which is terrific. 

Everyone is aiming to have stacks high and ready to support the program before the Dec 2022 portal period and coincidentally around SD1. 

Some of my cadre tend to speak very angrily and passionately about the reticence from the top levels to this point and I understand it. Y'all on here will too. But for me, this is how it goes. Change either happens like water over a rock or a lightning bolt through a tree. We've had plenty of both, but endowing shit was always going to be the slow kind of change until a levee breaks somewhere. 

FWIW, I've put in and committed annually for the future a decent chunk relative to normal person earnings, and if something I'm dealing with finishes a successful exit in early 2023, I'll substantially add to it. But that is money I won't be sending to things like Children's Advocates, or one of the smaller cancer support firms in Texas, and myriad other places. It's tough in some ways, because I can rationalize decisions in any direction. I'm happy to support a charity that helps other charities though, and that's where I land. I get where the bigger money has some level of struggle though, because it's not just about where it's going for UT, by any stretch.

Thanks for what you are doing man. I’m really and truly impressed by the immediate understanding you had of what this would be and putting in work from a really busy schedule to do it. Awesome. 

The last paragraph is the hardest one for me, as a someone who makes more money than the vast majority of the world but way less than the people you are hitting up. We’ve got at least 3k into burnt Endz in the first 14 months, and if we get the TE fantasy camp set up we are committed to buying spots and giving them away to the site. But, if I spent more money there I wouldn’t be able to spend it in other places near and dear to my heart. I have 4 pictures of smiling African and Haitian kids on my fridge that have birthdays that match my kids and wife. They are pen pals with them. We max out family and personal and birthday gifts. They send pictures of the cows they buy or the houses they have built or the micro businesses they’ve started and talk about life changing impact. 
I used to go to all the games. I don’t go but occasionally now and that money I used to spend is my burnt Endz contribution, but I can’t talk myself into more. 

That’s not to say I think it’s a bad decision for you to spend whatever you want on that. Charity is a very personal thing and it takes extreme jackassery to spend someone else’s money for them.  $20 a month should be nothing to everyone here. But it’s really hard to get 50k people to do that- even though it seems like it shouldn’t be. 

Good luck and thanks again. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2