Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

So I saw a Facebook post last week in which a small school was celebrating one of their players signing an NIL deal that paid a charity for his stat accumulation. I don't remember the figure, but it was to the tune of $25 per tackle and $50 per sack or something along those lines. 

Isn't that illegal under the current rules?

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So we gonna wait on Moore before we go after MHP or do we even want MHP anymore? I havent kept up recently

Justin Wells said today on the 2nd IT video that was put out today that UT might end up taking MHP as an ATH prospect, separate from whoever the 4th WR in this class might be.

Unlike Nahlin, Justin Wells sounded like he much preferred Kyle Parker over MHP as a WR prospect.

Edited by TheMailBox357

5 hours ago, RGBIII said:

I believe Sydney said I have the mentality and disposition of a golden retriever....shockingly accurate

And the face of Tom Herman. 

1 hour ago, Best served cold said:

So I saw a Facebook post last week in which a small school was celebrating one of their players signing an NIL deal that paid a charity for his stat accumulation. I don't remember the figure, but it was to the tune of $25 per tackle and $50 per sack or something along those lines. 

Isn't that illegal under the current rules?

It’s allowed as long as they’re paying the charity for the player’s performance. The Texas law just says you can’t make a player’s pay contingent on performance, but it’s fine if the pay is to a third party. 

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s allowed as long as they’re paying the charity for the player’s performance. The Texas law just says you can’t make a player’s pay contingent on performance, but it’s fine if the pay is to a third party. 

Thanks. I appreciate the clarification 

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding the difference in outlook on CDC between RGBIII and I, a few things are at play. One is disposition. Two is asymmetry of information. Tubby Tom Herman has been on a beach somewhere all week. I don't know what he's hearing. I've had board prep and then a quaterly board meeting this week. I've checked out and he's checked out. No clue why he's optimistic regarding CDC behavior right now. From my end, my view remains that way more shit would be happening from the big money is CDC wasn't talking out of both sides of his mouth in terms of support. 

As to this:

I feel like either one, regularly. Mostly Rust Cohle this week. Fuck me. As to Sydney, he's Marty Hart. Or Ray Krebbs to my Bobby Ewing. Whatever. 

I prefer thicccc Tom Herman. And part of my optimism is that thing we are in a group text about, let’s see if it goes our way. I can definitely get your sense of talking out of both sides of his mouth though, we shall see

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Depends on which Tom Herman we are looking at at the time. I wish I could pull off coke bender Herman, I think I’m closer to G2 and vodka Herman. I also never considered that aspect of paying the charities, that’s actually pretty ingenious…I need to look over that a bit more

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding the difference in outlook on CDC between RGBIII and I, a few things are at play. One is disposition. Two is asymmetry of information. Tubby Tom Herman has been on a beach somewhere all week. I don't know what he's hearing. I've had board prep and then a quaterly board meeting this week. I've checked out and he's checked out. No clue why he's optimistic regarding CDC behavior right now. From my end, my view remains that way more shit would be happening from the big money is CDC wasn't talking out of both sides of his mouth in terms of support. 

As to this:

I feel like either one, regularly. Mostly Rust Cohle this week. Fuck me. As to Sydney, he's Marty Hart. Or Ray Krebbs to my Bobby Ewing. Whatever. 

Holy fuck. Tubby Tom Herman. That's not going anywhere. TTTIII has a solid handle ring to it. 

Also, I don't in any way agree with your assessment of me being Marty Hart, but I'll tell you what if it were true that position isn't without benefits.

Alex Daddario GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Holy fuck. Tubby Tom Herman. That's not going anywhere. TTTIII has a solid handle ring to it. 

Also, I don't in any way agree with your assessment of me being Marty Hart, but I'll tell you what if it were true that position isn't without benefits.

Alex Daddario GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I keep watching but the rest of this gif doesn’t seem to be loading. Servers must still be borked, I’ll keep watching. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

How does bellflower highschool have 3 4-stars simultaneously (all committed to louisville)

It's St. John Bosco in Bellflower. I don't know the whole story but Steve Clarkson is a SoCal QB coach who's basically run point on a few kid's recruitments. His son, Pierce Clarkson, is Bosco's QB. Presumably Louisville has some sort of arrangement with with Steve that secured Pierce's commitment and gave them an in with the other blue chips there. Bosco and Mater Dei are basically all star teams and always have a ton of 4-5 star kids. 

• Hook 'Em 4

21 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

people money GIF

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Some interesting notes on Hale’s decision from OB and an Arch nugget thrown in that was also interesting 

Reveal hidden contents

Texas felt confident in the months, weeks, and days leading up to the Jalen Hale announcement. Instead, Alabama was the pick, giving Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide their second East Texas pledge of the week.

For Texas, it’s an obvious miss on the recruiting trail. The Longhorns seemed to be on the verge of surrounding Arch Manning with a pair of 6.0 wide receiver recruits, as Johntay Cook has been committed for months. However, Texas saw an in-state standout leave for the national powerhouse.

In talking to Hale, I was able to get some more clarity on the recruitment and what went wrong, so to speak, for Texas.

-- Hale admitted that it was tough to tell Texas no. He built a great relationship with Brennan Marion and has been open about wanting to team up with Manning and Cook in college.

-- Even after the announcement, Hale again brought up liking the idea of playing with Arch and Johntay. Which makes it even more interesting that he passed on doing just that.

-- Hale explained that some of what gave Alabama the nod is that they never fell off in recruiting him. Hale said that Texas wasn’t always consistent in communication and making him a priority, but really picked things up in the summer. Unfortunately, that wasn’t enough in his mind.

-- He said that he made his decision in July, even telling the media at Future 50 that month that he had his mind made up. Hale claims that his pick on Wednesday was the same pick that he made in July, for what that is worth.

-- Hale said that he will “for sure” continue talking to Cook and will leave the door open for communication between him and the Texas staff. I would expect Texas to continue recruiting the Longview standout, as a lot can happen between now and the December Signing Period. Wouldn’t expect a flip, but it can’t hurt Texas that Arch and Johntay will be in his ear.

Quick note on Arch Manning. OB was on-site for Manning’s 18-point comeback win last Friday night in New Orleans. Manning looked every bit of a five-star passer and exceeded my own expectations in the game.

We’ve posted a few stories on Manning since then. However, one thing that I found interesting when talking to Manning last Friday is that he admitted that was leaning towards Alabama or Georgia before taking his OV to Texas in June.

“I had no idea (that I would choose Texas) leading up to the commitment,” Manning said. “I was leaning ‘Bama and Georgia. Then, I just felt something after the final OV. I felt something with Texas, and then Will (Randle) committed. It just felt like the right spot.”

On Jalen Hale

John Candy Okay I See GIF - John Candy Okay I See - Discover ...

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Some interesting notes on Hale’s decision from OB and an Arch nugget thrown in that was also interesting 

Hide contents

“I had no idea (that I would choose Texas) leading up to the commitment,” Manning said. “I was leaning ‘Bama and Georgia. Then, I just felt something after the final OV. I felt something with Texas, and then Will (Randle) committed. It just felt like the right spot.”

Will Randle the real MVP. 

• Hook 'Em 4