Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Muhammad and Williams aren't going to stay committed to this shit show.

Agreed. Going to be very difficult to hold this defensive class together when PK is essentially a dead man walking short of a near miraculous turn around on that side of the ball. Anyone objectively watching us play has to think both Gideon and Joseph, no matter how well they recruit, are going to be thrown out on their ass during the transition as well. We are going to have to make an impressive hire at DC (and quickly) after the season but with ESD it probably doesn't give us much or even any window to solidify new relationships. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

33 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That’s why you fire him now so fatterson can show them what a real defense will look like. You wait till December then you have no time to add anyone when they jump ship. 

And yet you know there’s no way that is happening, at least based on the last few head coaching decisions. They always wait until it’s too late, stupid fucks!

• Rage+1 1

59 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That’s why you fire him now so fatterson can show them what a real defense will look like. You wait till December then you have no time to add anyone when they jump ship. 

Well, Sark wishes he was more aggressive last year and since he’s shown he won’t be this year either, fully expect him to do nothing. 

Nahlin sounds like he's rapidly becoming disillusioned.

Eric Nahlin: Steve Sarkisian and Texas are back to square one

Well, that was unfortunate. We can now confidently say there’s nothing of use to take from the Alabama game unless Quinn Ewers returns and picks up where he left off in that game. Still, discard the rest.

While fans await the return of Ewers, the loss to Texas Tech had nothing to do with quarterback play. Hudson Card’s performance was good enough to win. At times he even went beyond game manager and made plays. He kept his eyes down field, climbed the pocket a time or two, and used his legs. His interception was a poor read of the safety but the defense bailed him out.

Texas’ main issue was the defense couldn’t get off the field on 4th down. The game reminded of last year’s bend and then break defense. Tech started the game with a 17 play touchdown drive and then proved it was no fluke with a 13 yard touchdown drive punctuated by a busted coverage on the running back. Tech was the more physical team and Joey McGuire was the more aggressive coach.

I felt Donovan Smith really set the tone when he turned Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey into barnacle on a tugboat on the 4th down touchdown run on Tech’s first possession. Not only did UT’s defense get pushed around at times, they also couldn’t turn over Smith, who previously peppered defenses with opportunities. Jahdae Barron, who played well, got his hands on one ball but couldn’t convert the pick.

Too often the defense was undisciplined. The best example was the 3rd and 26 offsides/PI double blast. Guilbeau looked like Keondre Coburn trying to cover the Tech receiver.

Is anybody else tired of the wildcat look with Roschon Johnson? The best thing Sark has going for him is the ability to create uncertainty with his play calling. The wildcat gives the defense certainty. Running it on 2nd and 10 nearly guarantees 3rd and long. The defense is already keying run on 4th and 2, but now they know who’s getting it. The O-line isn’t good enough to declare your intentions. Let’s retire All Gas, No Brakes while we’re at it. That saying was old after the first week if I’m being honest.

Despite the issues with wildcat, the O-line was good enough to win too. Jake Majors and Cole Hutson worked well on the pull on the final touchdown drive of the game. The offensive line is just a year away, but we knew that coming into the season. Let’s call plays in accordance. Sark needs to get the ball to Jordan Whittington more often. Whittington is a constant in an offense that is too often feast or famine. He’s frequently open and he’s reliable. Four receptions on the day is egregious. He’s the spark the offense often needs and then they go away from him for whatever reason.

Bert Auburn continues to be a bright spot. Demarvion Overshown was missed in the first half, he played well in the second. Anthony Cook had his fourth good game of the year.

Where do they go from here? It seems like they already need a reboot. Maybe that comes with Quinn Ewers returning, but it shouldn’t come to that. This team had no business losing this weekend without him. Sark and PK have put themselves in a tough spot. You can’t tantalize with the performance against Alabama and then walk it back with games like yesterday. They got out-coached by a first year head coach, just like last year. That can’t be unseen.

The expectations for this program should be to be in control of its own destiny on the final weekend of the year. Anything less is another disappointing season and now there’s much less margin for error.

• Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

How many blown losses till we start seeing some decommits 

Cook already understood what was wrong when he committed. He tweeted out Texas has the scheme but no players. We don’t have a single receiver who looks like Evan Stewart. Worthy is bad ass but it’s clear watching Stewart he has ability that worthy doesn’t. I think this 2023 class understands it’s a building process. At least that’s what I’m telling myself so I don’t turn into satya. Lol 

Nahlin is a fanboy, he was guzzling koolaid after the Bama game. This was a 8-9 team at best this year before we knew how other teams looked. Kansas will not be an easy game unless Daniels gets hurt before then. 
Now factor in the injuries. If he was doing this with all the personnel improvements, it would be bleak. Card is a little better than he was last year, but Ewers/Worthy make this offense go. Hopefully Hall becomes reliable before the end of the year, bc we clearly need someone to stretch the defense along with Worthy too.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

Worthy is bad ass but it’s clear watching Stewart he has ability that worthy doesn’t. I think this 2023 class understands it’s a building process. At least that’s what I’m telling myself so I don’t turn into satya. Lol 

Stewart's 13 receptions for 141 yards and one TD and long gain of 24 yards through four games seems to have really impressed you.

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Stewart's 13 receptions for 141 yards and one TD and long gain of 24 yards through four games seems to have really impressed you.

Worthy’s 14 for 212 and a TD in a pass happy offense is what really gets me hard. If you watch Stewart play it’s clear he’s built different than worthy. Aggy runs a run heavy shit scheme and Stewart has almost the same stats in only 3 games. He was suspended for one game. Worthy has those bad ass stats in 4 games lol. 

• Fuck You 2

20 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Worthy’s 14 for 212 and a TD in a pass happy offense is what really gets me hard. If you watch Stewart play it’s clear he’s built different than worthy. Aggy runs a run heavy shit scheme and Stewart has almost the same stats in only 3 games. He was suspended for one game. Worthy has those bad ass stats in 4 games lol. 

Pass happy offense? Tell me you don't know what you're talking about without actually saying it.

• Hook 'Em 3

It will be interesting to see how much winning impacts recruiting in the new NIL era nationwide. NFL free agents often don't give a shit about a team's record, they go for the biggest contract with the Jaguars or whoever. We could be entering an all-business era of college football where NIL and NFL development matter a lot more than a team's record.

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

It will be interesting to see how much winning impacts recruiting in the new NIL era nationwide. NFL free agents often don't give a shit about a team's record, they go for the biggest contract with the Jaguars or whoever. We could be entering an all-business era of college football where NIL and NFL development matter a lot more than a team's record.

Jermaine Burton transferred after winning a national championship to the team they beat.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Pass happy offense? Tell me you don't know what you're talking about without actually saying it.

It was in reference to the aggy offense, we’ve attempted 20 more passes than they have which is almost one more game comparatively. I’m derailing the thread tho, sorry. I’ll take my shit to the football board lol.  

3 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Worthy has dropped about 200 yards and 2 TDs worth of passes so far this season.  He just needs to play better along with the entire team. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

Worthy has dropped about 200 yards and 2 TDs worth of passes so far this season.  He just needs to play better along with the entire team. 

This somewhat reinforces what I was getting at man, worthy is a sophomore who still drops a lot of catchable balls. He catches those balls and we win more games, he’s our best wr and the second guys not even close. Cook and the 2023 class understand that our roster is still not as loaded as aggies currently. 

Athletic review of top QC players results in the 23 class

Arch Manning:

Spoiler

Arch Manning

School: New Orleans Isidore Newman
Committed to: Texas
Ranking: No. 1 nationally, No. 1 QB (247Sports Composite)

Newman offensive coordinator Logan Kilgore said last week that the Greenies’ matchup against Many High School would be their toughest challenge to date. Many, about four-and-a-half hours northwest of New Orleans, is the home of 2024 four-star USC linebacker commit Tackett Curtis and 2024 five-star safety Tylen Singleton.

Newman kept it close and got the ball back down eight points with about 80 seconds to play, thanks to a goal-line stand on fourth-and-1. But with 99 yards to go and no timeouts, the Greenies ran out of magic on a night in which Many’s stout defense played as well as advertised. The final score: Many 25, Newman 17.

Arch Manning, who was under pressure all night, finished 9-of-20 passing with two touchdowns and no interceptions in front of a packed house.

Curtis, who snapped a picture with Manning afterward, made his presence known with his physicality.

And Singleton sacked Manning on this blitz:

The Greenies, 3-1, travel to Pearl River this week.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

This somewhat reinforces what I was getting at man, worthy is a sophomore who still drops a lot of catchable balls. He catches those balls and we win more games, he’s our best wr and the second guys not even close. Cook and the 2023 class understand that our roster is still not as loaded as aggies currently. 

What does it say that Worthy is more athlete, than WR at this point. I think him and Hall are very similar players. Great athletes, mediocre hands, poor attitude, and inconsistent route running. Hall has some more baggage, but if motivated he can really help the offense out if Worthy misses time. No idea where Hall is at this point. I am just hoping it is farther along than it appears. 

3 hours ago, utexas8 said:

Seriously. And the other teams kicker is always automatic. Every fumble always goes to the other team. Their QB’s are always decent-great playing us.

The kicker part is what kills me.  I swear any team we play could have a kicker that has missed his last 12 attempts in a row prior to playing us and that fucker will drill a 60 yarder with room to spare.  It is quite annoying.  

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The kicker part is what kills me.  I swear any team we play could have a kicker that has missed his last 12 attempts in a row prior to playing us and that fucker will drill a 60 yarder with room to spare.  It is quite annoying.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3