Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

For the olds: The kids these days refer to money as “cake”, or “bread”, and sometimes “cheddar”.

Posts pic of Longhorn cake = bring me that sweet burnt orange cash.

I was watching Avitar and money is commonly called cheddar in the future.

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

For the olds: The kids these days refer to money as “cake”, or “bread”, and sometimes “cheddar”.

Posts pic of Longhorn cake = bring me that sweet burnt orange cash.

Why can’t you hat in hand mother fuckers speak the English language?    For fuck’s sake…give me my $ worth!

24 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

Why can’t you hat in hand mother fuckers speak the English language?    For fuck’s sake…give me my $ worth!

My hat is on my head where it belongs and not in my hand. You, on the other hand, have evidently wandered out of the Masonic retirement home where you belong. Shoo Peepaw, there’s lernin takin place hurr

29 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I remember one time I was trying to bang a girl that lived in Jester and wanted to impress her with a cookie cake for her bday.  I went to Dobe (if I remember correctly)and bought the cookie cake and walked back to Jester with it. I get to her room and mother fucker,  she already had two BIGGER cookie cakes sitting there already partially eaten. Needless to say I didn't get laid.

So I will forever be triggered by cookie cakes.

This isn’t about cookie cakes is it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

56 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I remember one time I was trying to bang a girl that lived in Jester and wanted to impress her with a cookie cake for her bday.  I went to Dobe (if I remember correctly)and bought the cookie cake and walked back to Jester with it. I get to her room and mother fucker,  she already had two BIGGER cookie cakes sitting there already partially eaten. Needless to say I didn't get laid.

She's for the sheets* bro

*cookie sheets

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

I thought for sure that story was gonna end with u eating the cookie cake before getting to her place 

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Why are these receivers such drama queens, hopefully he’s just trolling.  

A3724D84-13F2-401B-BFC1-EAF4416AE68A.jpeg

my brothers of texas football. this is a common thing in internet / online / young culture. People will let or feed into the rumors just for reactions. You can tell because he put a crying emoji, as in "you cant be serious." Kids are gonna take their visits. Just breathe, Johntay and Arch have been recruiters #1 and #2 for us.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Username  ️ 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Athletic Weekly Update on QB Recruits - Arch

Spoiler

Arch Manning

School: New Orleans Isidore Newman
Committed to: Texas
Ranking: No. 1 nationally, No. 1 QB (247Sports Composite)

Newman traveled to Class 4A Pearl River on Friday night, and the Greenies quickly jumped out to a 31-0 lead in the first quarter on what became a special night for Manning.

Peyton and Eli’s nephew made history, with Arch breaking Peyton’s record at Newman for career passing touchdowns and Eli’s record for career passing yards. Tied at 93 touchdowns with Peyton, Arch needed just one to take sole possession of the record. He was only 110 yards behind Eli, who finished his Newman career with 7,268 passing yards.

By the end of the night, Arch had completed 18 of 29 passes for 357 yards, seven touchdowns and no interceptions.

“He was in control for most of the game. I was proud of his decision-making and especially in a game where we jumped out early,” Newman offensive coordinator Logan Kilgore said. “Any time you throw for seven touchdowns, you’ve got to look at the pieces around him, and it was a great job by the wide receivers and offensive line and running backs protecting. But obviously Arch standing in there and delivering the football. He played really well.”

Kilgore said he and Manning chatted over the past couple of weeks and that Manning was certainly aware of the possibility he’d break his uncle’s records. But he kept his focus throughout practice and downplayed the attention that certainly flooded in Friday night. Manning also set a single-game Newman record for passing touchdowns.

“Nobody had ever thrown seven before in a game at Newman,” Kilgore said. “It was a pretty special night.”

Uncle Eli had a little fun on social media:

Roach

Spoiler

The weekend was good to Texas producing an easy win on the field as the Longhorns cruised to a victory over West Virginia. Combine that with losses to Texas A&M and Oklahoma, and it’s easy to see that Longhorn fans probably enjoyed Saturday.

Despite the win, there were some distressing moments on the recruiting front. The Longhorns lost a commitment from wide receiver Jonah Wilson and another top commit went on a visit elsewhere. Despite that, the Longhorns are still in a good position in the 2023 class and now have an extra opening at the receiver position.

The Longhorns are engaging with four-star wide receiver Deandre Moore once again, and we’ve been working sources to hear where things are with him and the Longhorns headed into October.

Where do things stand with Texas and these highly-rated prospects as the Longhorns moved to 3-2 and toward the much anticipated Red River Shootout?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we talk about all those subjects, a possible visit date for Arch Manning and so much more.

— Texas lost a commitment on Saturday from Jonah Wilson just before kickoff of the West Virginia game. I mentioned at that time that it was out of the blue and it sounds like it caught several folks off-guard. After two days, I’ve been able to speak with several different sources to get an idea of where things changed between Wilson and the Longhorns. From Wilson’s perspective, I was told by two separate sources close to the four-star receiver that this was something he’s been thinking over for a few weeks. In his mind, Wilson committed more to Brennan Marion and less to Texas, and he wanted to make sure he was making the correct decision. 

(Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

I spoke to Wilson himself who confirmed he just wanted to take a step back and make sure he was confident with his decision. Houston is a team that has been coming on for Wilson for quite a bit of time, but the stumbles of the Cougars (who could be 0-5 at this point of the season but for a few breaks) doesn’t make that transition as easy right now. Instead, I’m told that Wilson will sit back and evaluate his current options along with any new options that might come along. Wilson has been hearing from several new programs and it sounds like Texas A&M is a school that could make a big push if they decide to get involved. In talking to both Wilson and several people around him, Texas is still a school he’s high on and looking at moving forward.

— From the Texas side, I’m not sure the staff was thrilled with the way this went down. One source I spoke with said that the decision blindsided them as well and came just a few days after Steve Sarkisian and Brennan Marion came out to see him in action last Thursday. At the time, Wilson didn’t convey any second thoughts to them and the assumption was that everything was good. I also think back to when Armani Winfield decommitted just before kickoff against Kansas State last year, and the way it was done wasn’t well-received by the staff.

(Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

Though Wilson is still considering Texas, the Longhorns will move forward evaluating other options. It’s not out of the question that Wilson could end up back in the Texas program by the end of this class, but the relationship will likely have to be repaired a bit before that happens. Wilson was one of the commits in the class showing the most growth in his senior year and was playing sensationally over the last few weeks. He also fits the bill as a big-bodied outside receiver the Longhorns were looking for to give them some size on the outside. Because he fits a certain need, it might be hard to find a suitable option who brings Wilson’s combination of size and athleticism.

— It also came out over the weekend that Texas commit Johntay Cook took a visit to Oregon. The Ducks haven’t backed off Cook, and it seemed like it was open season from other schools on all Texas commits after the loss to Texas Tech. After talking to Cook and sources in Austin, I was able to get some additional details. Cook was upfront with the Texas staff about taking the trip and went about it the right way. Cook affirmed with me that everything was good with him and Texas, and he simply just wanted to take a trip on his off-week. It’s less than ideal when commits visit other campuses, but I don’t think it’s anything to write home about as of now. I spoke with Cook again late last night and he affirmed that everything was good at Texas and he’s not seriously looking into other programs. We’ll keep an ear open on this one, but I feel pretty firm with everything we’ve gathered.

(Photo: Michael McCammon, 247Sports)

— The Longhorns are turning up the heat on four-star Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco wide receiver Deandre Moore. As we reported two weeks ago, the Louisville commit is scheduling a trip to Austin in November. The Longhorns finished second for Moore when he originally committed to Louisville in May, but they never stopped working on him. The Cardinals have been able to put together a strong class, but continued losses put the job status of Louisville head coach Scott Satterfield in jeopardy. There’s some growing confidence on the Texas side, but there’s also a feeling that Moore will consider more than just the Longhorns with his other trips. While the date for his Texas trip is still up in the air, Moore has one locked in for Georgia on November 5.

The Bulldogs have a winning resume on their side with a national title in 2021, and staff member David Hill worked at Las Vegas (NV) Desert Pines when Moore played there from 7th-10th grade. Georgia wide receiver coach Bryan McClendon was also part of recruiting Moore when he was at Oregon. If Moore can’t make it to Austin during November, his visit will likely come after the season. If that happens, Texas could have the chance to make the final impression on Moore before signing day. Though there is some increased optimism in Austin, there is still quite a bit that has to play out for Texas. The continued movement at the position opens the door for Temple ATH Mikal Harrison-Pilot who continues to play well on the offensive side of the ball. It’s possible that Texas could identify some other receiver targets in this class as well, though I think it’d be safe to say they are looking for size on the outside. If the Longhorns can’t find a high school prospect they want, it’s very likely they move aggressively in the NCAA Transfer Portal where they’ve found success in the past.

(Photo: © Tim Warner, Getty)

— A couple of months ago, we mentioned that we heard word Arch Manning could possibly come to Dallas for the Red River Shootout. I checked around this week and heard that if Manning were to make a visit, it would be for the Iowa State game when Newman has its off-week. I spoke to a source over the weekend who indicated that Manning is still getting calls from Georgia, but everything is still firm with Texas. As always, word on visits usually is kept tight by the family, but I’d bet on Manning making it to Austin for the Iowa State game if he goes anywhere. We’ll keep working to confirm that trip and pass word along of anything we get.

— I spoke with the state’s top prospect in the 2024 class in Waco Connally cornerback Kobe Black on Friday after his stellar performance against Springtown. Black ran for four touchdowns on the night and returned an interception 81 yards for a score. In short, he certainly looked the part of an elite recruit as Connally rolled to an easy win. Black is still open in his recruitment, but the Longhorns are deep in the race for him. Black was on campus for the Alabama game in September and was at Baylor for the Oklahoma State game on Saturday where his brother started at corner for the Cowboys. Up next, Black has trips planned to LSU-Alabama and wants to make it to Fayetteville to see Arkansas. The Longhorns are one of the strongest contenders for Black because of the way they’ve recruited him under Terry Joseph. The staff keeps in contact daily through text messaging or FaceTime and he’s certainly noticed the effort. Black wants to get back to Austin at some point this year for another game as well, and he’s in no hurry to make a decision. Texas will be a favorite in this race. Oklahoma State and LSU also sit high on his list, but the read I got from Black is that Arkansas is also in a very strong position for him early on. It will take some time for Black to sort his options out, but the race is starting to really form for the state’s top player.

(Photo: Texas Athletics)
COMMENTS

— Last week, Texas commit Malik Muhammad set visit dates to Texas A&M and Alabama. This shouldn’t be a shock as we’ve alluded to this since the time Muhammad committed to the Longhorns. The long and short of it is, Texas will have to continue to recruit Muhammad through the whistle of this class. While Texas A&M has always shown the ability to be a formidable foe in a recruitment, I’m told that Alabama is the one to watch. The Crimson Tide came in second to Texas when Muhammad made his commitment during the summer, and there are some folks close to Muhammad who feel that his best chance will be in Tuscaloosa. As long as Texas plays well and shows good defensive performances on the field, the Longhorns should be able to keep the hooks in for Muhammad, but Alabama will be tough. It seems like every year, Nick Saban sets his sights on a prospect from Texas to win over, and Muhammad might be that guy this year. In the past he’s been able to flip players like Jalen Milroe, Jase McClellan, JoJo Earle and Jamarion Miller. The Longhorns will have to work hard to keep the prized cornerback commit in the Texas class.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

my brothers of texas football. this is a common thing in internet / online / young culture. People will let or feed into the rumors just for reactions. You can tell because he put a crying emoji, as in "you cant be serious." Kids are gonna take their visits. Just breathe, Johntay and Arch have been recruiters #1 and #2 for us.

Agree that there's no reason to worry about Cook right now, but also...Jalen Milroe was recruiter #1 for us in his year. Shit happens sometimes.

14 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Agree that there's no reason to worry about Cook right now, but also...Jalen Milroe was recruiter #1 for us in his year. Shit happens sometimes.

As long we don't take 4 more top 100 WRs, Cook is fine. Milroe didn't like the staff looking for other QBs despite his commitment and of course Yurkich and Herman were all in on Ewers

I think it is perfectly reasonable to worry about Cook or Muhammad or whoever else that's committed and taking visits. This recruiting cycle is going to be as much about NIL commitments as anything else. If Oregon decides to go nuts on some players, they're only downsides are where they're located and the conference they're in. If that shit doesn't matter to a recruit, and they decide to throw 7 figures at the recruit, that's tough to counter. It's tough to counter specifically because there are other schools doing that same shit for other players. As forward-thinking as things have been with NIL at Texas, there isn't an allotment of $40M sitting around to lavish upon recruits and potential portal-ers. 

ATM is pursuing focusing big bags on a select few and making promises about the future to make the numbers sound way bigger. They did it with Hill, they did it with Hicks, they're trying it with MM, and I'm sure we'll see a few more. As disdainful as aggie alums are of the Fisher offense, they like the guy personally and he's an excellent gladhander, and they want to believe that they're only a few more guys away from a national title. They're not giving Fisher whatever he wants in recruiting like he received in the last cycle, but stealing a 5 star from the sips will always be a compelling plea. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think it is perfectly reasonable to worry about Cook or Muhammad or whoever else that's committed and taking visits. This recruiting cycle is going to be as much about NIL commitments as anything else. If Oregon decides to go nuts on some players, they're only downsides are where they're located and the conference they're in. If that shit doesn't matter to a recruit, and they decide to throw 7 figures at the recruit, that's tough to counter. It's tough to counter specifically because there are other schools doing that same shit for other players. As forward-thinking as things have been with NIL at Texas, there isn't an allotment of $40M sitting around to lavish upon recruits and potential portal-ers. 

Not surprised to hear this at all. NFL free agents follow the money, we should expect college recruits/transfers to do the same going forward.

17 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

image.gif.06c4ceb3f28edf7f2deb4c9774808e2d.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

DeSoto was in Oregon back in August too.  I was there when they landed.  I don't blame him for taking the trip.  Aside from the walking dead roaming downtown Portland, that state is absolutely gorgeous.  The weather is fucking dope too.

I sure as shit hope we can keep him.

Yeesssss 

how’s the weather in Oregon during October compared to Austin in OctoberDis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIFber 

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Yeesssss 

how’s the weather in Oregon during October compared to Austin in OctoberDis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIFber 

40-60, which is perfect for my Scotch-Irish ass.  The people up there were crying about 91 being the high in August even though the temperature dropped to 50 at night.  I enjoyed it a lot.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

DeSoto was in Oregon back in August too.  I was there when they landed.  I don't blame him for taking the trip.  Aside from the walking dead roaming downtown Portland, that state is absolutely gorgeous.  The weather is fucking dope too.

Flew out to Mt. Hood last month for a hiking getaway. Weather was terrific, even though we got a lot of ashfall from a fire to the south. We didn't even end up visiting Portland itself, apart from a brief trip to voodoo doughnuts.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Pretty sure the dude that didn’t bring her anything was the one breaking her back in and eating y’all’s cookie cakes calling y’all losers 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3