Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

37 minutes ago, Getafix said:

!!!

Latest on 5-star TE Duce Robinson

Blair Angulo

Texas now has another date locked in with the dynamic two-sport star from Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle.

“I’ll be at Texas for the TCU game on Nov. 12,” Robinson told 247Sports. 

Also, re: Oregon 😂 😂 😂 

Coach Drew Mehringer is one of the best in the country, so I’m super excited to get up there next month.

Reveal hidden contents

Blair Angulo

With only two official visits remaining and the Early Signing Period a mere two months away, the finish line is in sight for Duce Robinson.

The nation’s No. 1 rated tight end has taken trips to USC, Georgia and Alabama and has Texas and Oregon left on the itinerary. The Longhorns were due to draw an official last month but bad weather the night prior to his flight to Austin pushed back his own game to Saturday and the trip was canceled.

Texas now has another date locked in with the dynamic two-sport star from Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle.

“I’ll be at Texas for the TCU game on Nov. 12,” Robinson told 247Sports. “I’m really excited to see what the environment there is like and get a chance to talk to the other recruits that make it and the players they have on the team already. I’ve taken an unofficial there already and I think I have a great feel for the facilities, the campus and what it’s like there, but I’m excited to build relationships with all the guys. It’s been fun to watch their offense and the way they have been using Ja’Tavion Sanders. He’s a playmaker in their offense and they’ve been using him as a weapon, so that’s been super cool to see.”

Robinson is the nation’s No. 19 overall prospect and No. 1 among tight ends in the 2023 class, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings. He has amassed well over double-digit scholarship offers in both football and baseball.

The Ducks, meanwhile, are likely to get the final official visit. The 6-foot-6, 225-pound Robinson drew the presence of Ducks staffers earlier this month when Oregon played down the highway in Tucson and he’s excited to get back up to Eugene.

“I’ve been to a game at Autzen before, I believe it was my freshman year for the rivalry against Oregon State, so I have a good idea of what it’s like there on a big gameday,” Robinson said. “We don’t have a date yet but if we go during season, it’s likely that weekend they play Utah.”

Robinson, who has drawn comparisons to Aaron Judge for his build and power, intends to play both sports at the next level and has gotten considerable buzz this year for his exploits at several off-season showcase events. Robinson's father, Dominic, played receiver at Florida State in the early 2000s and was also drafted in baseball.

“Oregon was one of my first baseball offers back in like eighth grade or freshman year, so I’ve been building a relationship with them for a while,” Robinson said. “On the football side coach Kenny Dilingham is a great dude. He is from Arizona, grew up here and knows the state super well, and coach Dan Lanning is great, too. We first connected back when he was at Georgia and it was impressive what he did at Georgia and how he’s transferring that over to Oregon. Coach Drew Mehringer is one of the best in the country, so I’m super excited to get up there next month.”

Through six games as a senior this season Robinson had been credited with 30 receptions for 615 yards and eight touchdowns.

Stay tuned to 247Sports for breaking news, insight and analysis as prospects across all classes continue to sort through their top contenders all season long.

Man I hope we get him and become the destination spot for the best TE's in the country.

He recognizes what JT is doing and that in the right offense with the right play caller the TE can be a deadly weapon.  

Sounds like we have a decent shot at getting him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas Longhorns Sunday Recruiting Intel

Gerry Hamilton•28 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Colton Vasek (Sam Spiegelman/On3)

The Texas Longhorns hosted more than two dozen prospects in the 2023 and 2024 classes on Saturday for the 24-21 win over Iowa State.

The list of prospects included Oklahoma verbal Colton Vasek, a 2023 prospect on offer watch and a number of 2024’s.

Inside Texas provides the latest from weekend, which includes a commitment visiting elsewhere.

Andre Cojoe and TCU

Texas commitment and On3 Consensus 3-star IOL Andre Cojoe made the very short drive from Mansfield to Amon Carter Stadium Saturday to watch TCU beat Oklahoma State 43-40 in double OT. Inside Texas can report that the Texas staff was not told prior by Cojoe that he would make the unofficial visit to TCU. That coupled with intel that the Horned Frogs staff doesn’t feel like their efforts are lost cause is of note. Cojoe’s mother has always preferred close to home. The question now is just how close to home? IT isn’t placing Cojoe on “flip watch”, but we are monitoring.

The latest on Colton Vasek

Info coming out of Saturday’s unofficial visit by Colton Vasek for the Longhorns win over Iowa State is tough to come by. The 6-foot-5, 235-pounder showing up for a second Texas home game does take the Longhorns pursuit of the Texas legacy to another level. Vasek is receiving the full court press from the Texas staff, Arch Manning and former teammates Connor Robertson and Ethan Burke. The communication continues between Vasek and Texas. And that communication has become more steady.

The attempted flip by the Longhorns will be a work in progress. IT does not expect an instant flip, as of today. Oregon’s Tosh Lupoi also remains in pursuit of the CenTex star.

Ka’Morreun Pimpton on offer watch

Vanderbilt verbal Ka’Morreun Pimpton is officially on offer watch after the unofficial visit Saturday. The 6-foot-6, 220-pounder made the visit with his father. Inside Texas is watching Duce Robinson and Texas closely right now. If an official visit date is not made public by Robinson in the next week, or ten days, Inside Texas believes the Longhorns will extend an offer to Pimpton according to a source close to the recruitment.

The source on Pimpton’s visit.

“KP enjoyed the visit,” the source told IT.” He talked to the coaches and players before the game.”

The source said the next step is the offer, followed by an official visit.

Inside Texas also spoke with a member of the North Crowley coaching staff Sunday on Pimpton. There is no doubt the staff believes Texas should, and likely will offer soon.

“The kid is unstoppable. He has transformed out team.”

North Crowley is currently 7-0 with a perfect regular season a high probability.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

!!!

Blair Angulo

“I’ll be at Texas for the TCU game on Nov. 12,” Robinson told 247Sports. 

Also, re: Oregon 😂 😂 😂 

Coach Drew Mehringer is one of the best in the country, so I’m super excited to get up there next month.

Hide contents

“In other recruiting news, 57 people in the Texas athletic department have offered to sit down with Duce during his visit to Texas to give him a flavor of what it’s like to be around Drew Mehringer.”

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The other guy being referenced as a certainty to transfer is Durden at Missouri. He and Stewart are all but gone from where they’re at currently. 

Burden will be a national guy with a lot of bidders. USC, OSU, Bama, etc will all be bidding. Going to be interesting to see how Williams at USC plays out the season if Addison is done.

29 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

“In other recruiting news, 57 people in the Texas athletic department have offered to sit down with Duce during his visit to Texas to give him a flavor of what it’s like to be around Drew Mehringer.”

One of the top up-and-coming offensive minds in football supervising advanced practice drills

See the source image

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Man this staff needs to be begging Vasek to commit. Give him $500k in NIL, Aston Martin, whatever it takes. We need pass rushers in the worst way. These JAGs they're rolling out there are not cutting it. 

7 hours ago, maninblack said:

I don't think Vasek will look like he does at Westlake here in PK's system.

How so? No way Vasek won't be an upgrade as a passrusher at the Jack EDGE postion over Sorrell based on comparing the 2 of them as prospects coming outta high school.

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Rushing the passer ain’t easy, and it’s not just the Jimmys and the Joes. With a good OL and scheme, you can nullify a really good pass rush. See Hooker’s game long clean pocket against Bama.

That said, Sorrell maybe Overshown are the only guys off the edge that worry opposing defenses. Ford has been nails on the interior blitzes. 

I think they can address the personnel during the bye. Probably not enough time to fix it before Okie State. 

6 hours ago, Texasborn91 said:

I think it’s the scheme. They are collapsing the pocket. Not rushing the passer IMO

It's definitely a personnel issue. There was a reason everyone panicked when Mathis shocked everyone by commiting to Nebraska instead of UT. Because we all know the upperclassmen EDGE players on the roster are JAGs.

I've always felt Sark & staff weren't agressive enough in recruiting portal EDGEs last winter/spring, they just put all their eggs in the basket with Mathis & it blew up in their faces. I doubt they'll make this mistake again.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

No worries. I don't think Stewart comes here because of the shit he pulled during recruiting. He's also a head case 

If he’d played during the era of NIL and the portal, would Roy Williams have been any more of a head case than Evan Stewart? Some problems are worth having…

57 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

How so? No way Vasek won't be an upgrade as a passrusher at the Jack EDGE postion over Sorrell based on comparing the 2 of them as prospects coming outta high school.

29 minutes ago, Bevo said:

New trending GIF on Giphy | Curb your enthusiasm, Hbo, Giphy

He just missed the punctuation. He meant to say "No way! Vasek won't be an upgrade as a passrusher at the Jack EDGE postion over Sorrell".

9 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Man this staff needs to be begging Vasek to commit. Give him $500k in NIL, Aston Martin, whatever it takes. We need pass rushers in the worst way. These JAGs they're rolling out there are not cutting it. 

Or we can spend that money on someone who will actually make a substantial difference instead of someone who’s 50/50 whether or not he’ll also be a JAG here.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Why would you ask this about Roy Williams?  What did he ever do here to make you compare him to a shithead like Evan Stewart?  You must have an inclination to even ask the question.

Agreed. Roy Williams was/is good people.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

I assume it wouldn’t be for free

If Stewart truly does want to come here, he should know better than to do any dumbassery in the portal. I am not sure Sark would even take the guy at this point, so making it harder than it needs to be will be a bad strategy.

On 10/15/2022 at 2:25 PM, TommyGufano said:

Maybe a photography expert can chime in on forced perspective on this one, but Kirkland makes Stroh look kinda small. Absolute unit

They all look so normal until you realize they are making Kyle Flood, who is 6’+ look like a spinner.

29 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If Stewart truly does want to come here, he should know better than to do any dumbassery in the portal. I am not sure Sark would even take the guy at this point, so making it harder than it needs to be will be a bad strategy.

He isn't coming here according to a ton of posters due to dumbassery he's already done after he decommited and during his recruitment, period.