Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

SIAP ... 

- Kelvin Banks on all three Mid season Freshman All American teams I saw (The Athletic, On3, College Football News)

- Denver Harris on a couple

- Ewers, Zuhn, Green, a few others on I think one each ... 

Kelvin will be a consensus freshmen all American. He’s rated on one of those pff type sites as a top 10 OT regardless of class. He continues to play like he has abs he may end up being a 2nd or 3rd te all American. 

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Kelvin will be a consensus freshmen all American. He’s rated on one of those pff type sites as a top 10 OT regardless of class. He continues to play like he has abs he may end up being a 2nd or 3rd te all American. 

I haven't spent much time thinking about it, but who is currently viewed as the first team AA LT nationally?

53 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Credit to the strength and conditioning team for the abs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

The Huddle: Tuesday recruiting notes ('23)

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

The Huddle: Tuesday recruiting notes ('23)

Hudson Standish

— Waco Connally 2023 ATH Jelani McDonald was one of the more important visitors on campus this past weekend and after speaking with a source yesterday it seems the Longhorns put their best foot forward with the 6-foot-2, 190-pounder. McDonald was another recruit that Arch Manning put in work with over the weekend and it made waves with the CenTex Top247 athlete.

In addition to Manning's contribution on the visit weekend, I was told that McDonald loved the gameday atmosphere and how close DKR was to his home in Waco. The next step for the Texas staff will be nailing the pitch for his position and usage at the next level and staying consistent with their recruiting effort considering Oklahoma State has been there for him from the jump.

image.thumb.png.3cef33ee40f85ee5cb866ab3eb0caec4.png

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

He's one of our gunners on punt coverage.

I don't know who it would hurt more, him running down the field, or the poor soul being hit by 350lbs at full speed. Who am I kidding? I think we all know the answer.

Best Train Hits Truck GIFs | Gfycat

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Summarizing IT recruiting chat in YouTube. 

Hall is a long shot, that's why we're looking at juco. Also expecting ojomo to declare. Staff wants replace the experience they're losing from Coburn, sweat and ojomo.

Texas would only take 1 of akana or vasek. They want some experience, would go portal shopping after akana or vasek.

Texas wants Moore over the field. Including Greathouse, hale, Wilson, Parker etc. Could circle back to Greathouse. Only adding 1 more hs wr.

Sorry if I made typos I'm typing this from bed.

Thx

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry on current guys set to enroll early. Also added that Derek Williams is working to become an early enrollee:

QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA)
RB Cedric Baxter, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater
WR Johntay Cook, Desoto (Desoto, TX) * maybe
OL Andre Cojoe, Timberview (Mansfield, TX)
OL Payton Kirkland, Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips
DL Sydir MItchell, Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic
LB Derion Gullette, Teague (Teague, TX) - formerly of Marlin
CB Malik Muhammad, South Oak Cliff (Dallas, TX)

image.gif.a664fbb1a467261cf0c42200cba41e40.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Summarizing IT recruiting chat in YouTube. 

Hall is a long shot, that's why we're looking at juco. Also expecting ojomo to declare. Staff wants replace the experience they're losing from Coburn, sweat and ojomo.

Texas would only take 1 of akana or vasek. They want some experience, would go portal shopping after akana or vasek.

Texas wants Moore over the field. Including Greathouse, hale, Wilson, Parker etc. Could circle back to Greathouse. Only adding 1 more hs wr.

Sorry if I made typos I'm typing this from bed.

1 more HS WR? We had Wilson committed and were still trying to get Hale. Also wasn’t someone saying that Moore is overrated?

I don’t think he’s coming here, he’s likely transferring elsewhere for more/comparable money.
Have we ever gotten an aggy transfer? I think a year at that place is enough to taint even a great player, (mentally) but it would be hard to turn down a player like Stewart if he comes to his senses. Not to mention the aggy tears would be glorious.

8 minutes ago, ousux said:
On 10/17/2022 at 12:02 AM, Hank_Hill said:
I don’t think he’s coming here, he’s likely transferring elsewhere for more/comparable money.

Have we ever gotten an aggy transfer? I think a year at that place is enough to taint even a great player, (mentally) but it would be hard to turn down a player like Stewart if he comes to his senses. Not to mention the aggy tears would be glorious.

Seeing him take one to the house to win the game against them in our first SEC meeting on their field would be the primo, grade-A, pure uncut shit.  That being said, I don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze.  I certainly understand that opinions may vary on this topic.  Him and Quinn seem to be friendly, so maybe that’s what it comes down to.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is Gullette not an edge?

He's athletic ability I could see them using him like we're using Overshown this year. I assume he's expected to miss spring and maybe be back by summer/fall camp due to his injury? Good thing is he's an EE so he will be able to rehab and train with our staff in the spring to prepare for a potential summer/fall return.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is Gullette not an edge?

A long yes: https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/2023-4-star-derion-gullette-announces-commitment-to-texas/

How he fits at Texas
Gullette is the sort of dominant, mobile athlete who would play Mike linebacker back in the day. In fact, he played Mike linebacker for Marlin High School, but 6-foot-3, 225 pound high schoolers with explosiveness and power like Gullette possesses don’t play Mike linebacker in college too often. He’s an ideal and obvious prospect for Pete Kwiatkowski’s EDGE positions, where his length and twitchiness can go to work both in setting the run and in rushing the passer. He looks like a future Buck right now who rushes the weakside and drops into coverage now and again. – Ian Boyd

Coach Says
Strengths — Good height with a frame that’s begging for more muscle. Long arms jump off the film. Excellent acceleration and good game speed. Noticeable lower body explosiveness is apparent in both pass rush and pass defense. Good upper body strength on film. Plays mostly from an off-the-ball position, usually at the Mike. Good eye discipline. Good head-up play and scrapes over gaps with ease. He has a great second gear once he diagnoses the play and has more than a couple of highlights running down the ball carrier from the backside. Stays square to the line and will square up in a form tackle more often than not. Pass defense shows plus-range and has a good feel for the pass concepts. Attacks the catch zone and competes for the ball. Very good catch motion and will try to bring the ball into his body with soft hands. Special teams highlights show good open field vision and athleticism.

Areas for Improvement — Will do well with a S&C program. His non-form tackles are the bumper car variety and that doesn’t seem effective (think BJ Foster). Needs a bit of work on diagnosing plays and opponent film shows numerous examples of him slow to read or flat-footed. Opponent highlights show some low effort plays in red zone. Would like to see more blitz tape.

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Staff

Staff member

A moment ago

New

Add bookmark

Inside Texas was at Austin (Texas) Westlake’s practice this morning, checking in on a pair of committed targets still hearing from the Horns. Coach Tony Salazar and crew are looking for their 4th consecutive state title. And they look the part.

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake - OU commit

The 6-foot-6, 225-pounder and Longhorn legacy is taking on the role of leader of the defense after best friend and formate Chaparral teammate Ethan Burke graduated and enrolled at Texas.

Vasek is keeping things close to the vest. He recognizes OU is having a difficult 2022. He knows most people will assume he’ll flip to Texas. Right now, he’s worried about Friday’s game with Austin High.

Vasek doesn’t seem to care much for the recruiting process. After his Oklahoma pledge, only two schools stayed in-touch; Texas and Oregon.

Vasek tells IT that Oregon is no longer in the mix and he basically talks to only OU and Texas. Vasek also mentioned he’s enjoyed see Texas in action this season, how they use Burke, and that he’ll likely attend another game or two before the end if

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake - Notre Dame commit

One of the most productive athletes in the state over the last three and a half seasons, Greathouse only has a few more months until he graduates and leaves for South Bend in January.

A pair of programs continue to court the On3 four-star including Texas and Clemson. Greathouse tells IT there’s a good chance he makes another visit to UT’s campus before early NSD.

He’s still talking to wide receiver coach Brennan Marion, and even though insists he’s solid to the Fighting Irish, that’s not stopping Texas.

We’ll have more notes and quotes later today from the Westlake duo. Texas is being judicious with its final spots in the 2023 cycle, but Vasek and Greathouse remains priorities until further notice.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1