Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

I don't think we ever discussed Tom Herman's WR recruiting so thanks to everyone for bringing it up on the 2023 recruiting thread. 

Just wait until Quentin Johnston's 8th third and long first down reception on November 12. That should be a fun stroll down Tom Herman memory lane.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

Just wait until Quentin Johnston's 8th third and long first down reception on November 12. That should be a fun stroll down Tom Herman memory lane.  

Fuck you. We all know it’s going to happen, but we don’t want to think about it until then. Delete this and give us a couple weeks before talking about TCU WRs.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I don’t want to recruit WRs who are Swiss Army knife guys.  I want WRs who torch defenders for 70 yard TDs and get drafted in the 1st round like Sark had at Alabama.  I did not watch those games and think, “Man, it’s a real shame Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle aren’t big and slow so they could block better on bubble screens.”

While Bama always has at least one speed demon, don't they also have complementary bigger guys?

Westlake season ticket holder here.  Greathouse has taken advantage of size mismatches for most of his time at Westlake.  He's definitely not a burner, though he has very good hands which is why I can see him as a reliable possession receiver, and I think that he could excel at finding soft spots in zones.  I have a little trouble seeing him in the slot because he also does not seem to burst off the line with quickness.  He gets more than his fair share of holding penalties and I've never seen him do anything which reads like tight end material, though he definitely gives blocking effort.   I'm not sure at all that he's going to excel at the next level due to the lack of high-end speed or exceptional quickness.  He does seem like a good kid (never seen him do anything stupid on the field in 4 years, something I definitely cannot say about Shanahan), so I hope things work out for him wherever he goes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

While on the topic, should we talk about how Herman and Yancy McKnight proudly proclaimed they put 20 pounds of "extra armor" on Keaontay Ingram heading into the 2020 season.

aka concrete shoes.  Still remember him getting easily hawked from behind on the breakaway run.

29 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yes.  And the Baylor game the year before where he broke into the open at our own 20 and like 6 different Baylor defenders - including big guys and guys who were behind him without any angle - had all caught up to him by the time he was around the 50.

Make it stop. Please. 

6 hours ago, NoName said:

it's been made very clear Wilson never wanted to come to Texas.

Moore was committed to Texas for like 6 months before decommitting and going to Purdue. Texas still recruited him after he decommitted.

JSN was one of the biggest misses of Turtle Tom's time at Texas. just a monumental mistake in every part of it. the initial eval, the senior eval, the sell job of Texas, the position coach...all of it.

This and with Brohm at Purdue it was all but a foregone conclusion that he’d go there, tbh it was a miracle he ever committed to us in the first place. Look up the Brohms at Trinity in KY

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I don’t want to recruit WRs who are Swiss Army knife guys.  I want WRs who torch defenders for 70 yard TDs and get drafted in the 1st round like Sark had at Alabama.  I did not watch those games and think, “Man, it’s a real shame Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle aren’t big and slow so they could block better on bubble screens.”

I just don’t have a strong opinion on Greathouse. He is definitely getting it done at the HS level. His speed and quickness is certainly a question. His upside is going to be based on how nuanced his route running is in college. He is kind of a boom or bust recruit. He learns how to run great routes and find the holes in a zone, he will be a player. If he doesn’t figure that out, he will be a jag. I doubt anyone here has watched enough of him to know the outcome. 

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

We don't know how the coaches exactly view how he fits. 

I do agree with you that if he was only thought of as a WR then there'd be other guys I want before him.

51 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I just don’t have a strong opinion on Greathouse. He is definitely getting it done at the HS level. His speed and quickness is certainly a question. His upside is going to be based on how nuanced his route running is in college. He is kind of a boom or bust recruit. He learns how to run great routes and find the holes in a zone, he will be a player. If he doesn’t figure that out, he will be a jag. I doubt anyone here has watched enough of him to know the outcome. 

I’ve watched him twice and my only takeaway was that he is a very interesting athlete.  Interesting can go either way.  I was sort of friendly with OJ MCclintock back in the day.  When the coaches and player don’t have a developmental plan they agree on, interesting athletes can get lost in the wash.  If the coaches see TE, and he wants WR, probably better to pass.

• Hook 'Em 1