Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The last UT drive in Stillwater I was begging for a play action quick pass to the TE on 1st down, it didn’t happen. 

I think that Okie State had 10 in the box on that play. 

(Maybe 9 in the box on 1st down and 10 in the box on 2nd down.)

He’s too fucking predictable in the 2nd half. 

And don’t get me started on bombs to a half-assing it Worthy. 🤬

Sark: 1st Half

Marion: 2nd Half

Storm the field at Full Time.

probably because that is a bad idea. Do you think the defense is going care about a run fake, when  Texas started the drive with 58 seconds left on their own 24 yard line? Not to mention Texas hit the TE down the middle of the field a couple times on that drive

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I posted this a few days ago, but it got de-railed by the football board transplants discussing Worthy portaling. Anyway, the dudes junior film looks really good. Seems like a late bloomer. Do want.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I posted this a few days ago, but it got de-railed by the football board transplants discussing Worthy portaling. Anyway, the dudes junior film looks really good. Seems like a late bloomer. Do want.

With Wisconsin in a little bit of turmoil he might be highly flippable. Also, surprised that he hasn't had the erotic experience.

Looks like another guy with a similar body type to Murphy.

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

tenor-89672358.gif.f65c99fe95982a55849599dea3ce88c3.gif

When you realize Banks and Joseph lead the Jamel Johnson recruitment

tenor-140979316.gif.247bcf12186bcfdada762b09ab8e9324.gif

Signed the #2 safety in Texas last cycle. Opened doors in Mississippi for us to sign Aaron Bryant from his connections when he was at Ole Miss. 

Good to know this is the new metric by which we judge recruiting success

His contract isn't up for renewal after this year.

Other than that, great post.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Sark: 1st Half

Marion: 2nd Half

Storm the field at Full Time.

Will people stop suggesting storming the field. Just because we have sucked for 12 years does not mean people get to forget We're Texas. We don't dog pile until we win it all and we do not storm the field.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

With Wisconsin in a little bit of turmoil he might be highly flippable. Also, surprised that he hasn't had the erotic experience.

Looks like another guy with a similar body type to Murphy.

Oh, I checked his hudl. He has some Senior Season highlights up.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2JGKhU

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Looks like Gideon dropped the ball again...    I have to believe his contract will not be renewed after this year.

He's not coaching up these safeties, he let the top safety in Texas feel less than heavily prioritized, instead he brings in a guy who ends up playing DE on his HS team.

What value does he present? You really don't even see him around in recruit pics. As a young guy, you'd think he have more juice than that.

Excluding Milwee, the assistants with one year left on their contracts might be guys fighting to stay around and would be the least expensive to replace...

"The new contracts for Gideon, Milwee, Joseph, Choate and Becton will run through Feb. 29, 2024. "

If PK gets to return, Choate might be safe.

Edited by LTtxfan

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

Lil Searels? She's maximizing her genetics, but Tyler is clearly the catch in the recruiting department.

She's not "cheat on your wife hot", but how much pussy are you getting if you're this down on Searels? I'd take either as a single dude, or both, but you're rankings are ass, my dude.

10 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

My (uninformed) take on this recruiting situation. Obviously Hicks is looking for an out from aggy. OU was his runner up the first time he committed, but they're another dumpster fire. Hicks won't give them the time of day. Oregon feels like it is too far for the likes of Hicks which leads me to believe this is more bag shenanigans.  But I think Texas still has a chance to win this recruitment if they finish the season strong.

I just think all of you guys are overthinking the Hicks recruitment, and it's not going to bear any fruit other than the foreseeable aggie decommit.

One easy tell that you guys should actually be looking into if you're looking for how the wind is blowing is to follow the interactions, or lack thereof, between Hicks and the UT recruiting class. If it doesn't remind you of the tail end of the Hale recruitment, it should.

11 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Also, I don't really know how to quote from other threads, but CTJ said in the Jimbo2023 thread that Bo really wants Roderick/Trey Pierce.

I'm just saying that if that dude visits, he's the guy to get excited about and others will too.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Signed the #2 safety in Texas last cycle. Opened doors in Mississippi for us to sign Aaron Bryant from his connections when he was at Ole Miss. 

I appreciate him as a former letterman enough, we’re leaving too much meat on the bone there. 
I missed the fact that we gave him an extra year in a show of support after last year

Let’s see what he can do with BJ Allen next year, I’m not hopeful, he’s got one more year to show up. 

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

Man, we beat a top-15 team on the road.

I don't know why people can't grasp this. Our favorite Big Noon game tv analyst gave a couple stats on his last podcast about how difficult it is to win on the road. Between 2 top 10 teams, the visiting team has zero wins (I'm forgetting about how many matchups there have been this year but I think 7, so road team would be 0 and 7). And between 2 top 15 teams, only ONE visiting team has won this year out of (again can't recall excatly) ~14 matchups.

• Hook 'Em 5

30 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I don't know why people can't grasp this. Our favorite Big Noon game tv analyst gave a couple stats on his last podcast about how difficult it is to win on the road. Between 2 top 10 teams, the visiting team has zero wins (I'm forgetting about how many matchups there have been this year but I think 7, so road team would be 0 and 7). And between 2 top 15 teams, only ONE visiting team has won this year out of (again can't recall excatly) ~14 matchups.

It's probably the best road win in conference this year.  Other contenders off the top of my head are OSU @ Baylor, Baylor @ Tech and KSU @ OU but road wins have been tough to come by in this conference. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

I do like the offer. I don't see much on the pass rush side but he looks like a pretty solid prospect overall. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

If you can't see the improvement in Jerrin Thompson and Anthony Cook this year then you aren't paying attention. Also, pulling Williams is a pretty damn big deal. 

• Hook 'Em 8

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If you can't see the improvement in Jerrin Thompson and Anthony Cook this year then you aren't paying attention. Also, pulling Williams is a pretty damn big deal. 

Cook and Thompson have been fine. Safety position lacks talent. There is a reason they moved Crawford to safety. They really wanted an athlete back there that can be a play maker. That experiment has been a failure, so Texas is rolling with 190 pound safeties that run 4.7s. It is what it is. 

18 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think Terry Joseph was heavily involved in the Williams recruitment but Gideon certainly provided an assist.

Gideon isn't some rainmaker or some unbelievable developer with all these skins on the wall, but they guy rose through the coaching ranks quickly and Muschamp was a big fan of him (he was a QC coach for him at Florida). He is a solid position coach right now.

But I know when calendar turns to November and the weather gets colder, people start getting that itch of who do we need to fire after this season. We are used to that being the primary discussion point instead of closing out recruiting strong and competing for a conference championship on the field. 

Edited by Hookem2147

If we get Hill, him being an EE is huge.  Potential starter next to Ford next year (assuming he returns).  We still need a portal LB for a 3rd LB.  Gbenda is pretty much what he is at this point and I don't think Trevell Johnson will ever play a down here.  Burrell and Lefau can RS and I think they'll both end up starters at some point.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If we get Hill, him being an EE is huge.  Potential starter next to Ford next year (assuming he returns).  We still need a portal LB for a 3rd LB.  Gbenda is pretty much what he is at this point and I don't think Trevell Johnson will ever play a down here.  Burrell and Lefau can RS and I think they'll both end up starters at some point.

We would suddenly have a legitimate 2 deep at ILB for the first time in over a decade. I think Burrell and Lefau are both going to be really good. It will allow us to play more true 3 LB sets as well with Gullette in the mix. 

• Hook 'Em 5

39 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Diamonte gone?

7 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Can someone post this IT recruiting notebook on Jelani McDonald?: https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/notebook-2023-ath-jelani-mcdonald/

http://www.hudl.com/v/2J7sMy

Inside Texas takes a closer look at the fit and evaluation of Waco (Texas) Connally athlete Jelani McDonald in this edition of the Recruiting Notebook.

How he fits at Texas:

McDonald is a curious prospect for college football. At 6-foot-3 with a 6-foot-6 wingspan he’s long and wiry with a ton of natural athleticism. His high school uses him as a nickel where he can cover ground and use his length to clog passing windows or to rush the passer when he’s sent over the edge. That sort of position doesn’t exactly exist in Texas’ defense. They’ve used DeMarvion Overshown some in that fashion as a Will but the skill set would probably translate best if he could grow into an Edge or if he can handle going backwards well enough to play as a boundary safety. – Ian Boyd

Coach Says:

Strengths — Great height and frame to add bulk as a defensive end. Good top end speed and exceptional lower body strength. In run defense shows good anticipation and delivers a good pop on the ball carrier transferring power from his lower body through his pads. Limited pass rush highlights show persistent effort and active hands. Special teams contributor. Looks like he has soft hands. Ultra competitive.

Areas for Improvement — Position is unclear, but I see him as a safety or hybrid linebacker type. Special teams highlights show a great return after a horrible decision to field the kick. Would like to see agility testing.

How this affects Texas:

McDonald is the quintessential senior breakout prospect. At 6-foot-2.5 and 205 pounds, On3’s No. 3 athlete in the class of 2023 plays quarterback for Connally, lead the basketball team to a 31-4 year in 2021-2022, and won the 4A triple jump title at the state track meet in Austin last May. McDonald holds offers from Texas, Ole Miss, Arkansas, SMU, and Texas Tech. The On3 four-star is the No. 103 overall recruit in the 2023 cycle and No. 22 overall prospect in Texas, according to On3’s rankings. McDonald and Waco Connally (8-2) take on Giddings High (3-7) Thursday, November 10th in the first round of the 4A playoffs. – Justin Wells

Intel:

McDonald is coming back to Austin this weekend for the Texas-TCU matchup. It’s the second time the former Oklahoma State commit will visit UT. McDonald is take in this cycle, but might get caught in numbers crunch situation for the Longhorns. They need another outside linebacker and McDonald fits the profile. But with 21 commitments in the 2023 class, UT will have to be creative with numbers. – Justin Wells

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2J7sMy

Inside Texas takes a closer look at the fit and evaluation of Waco (Texas) Connally athlete Jelani McDonald in this edition of the Recruiting Notebook.

How he fits at Texas:

McDonald is a curious prospect for college football. At 6-foot-3 with a 6-foot-6 wingspan he’s long and wiry with a ton of natural athleticism. His high school uses him as a nickel where he can cover ground and use his length to clog passing windows or to rush the passer when he’s sent over the edge. That sort of position doesn’t exactly exist in Texas’ defense. They’ve used DeMarvion Overshown some in that fashion as a Will but the skill set would probably translate best if he could grow into an Edge or if he can handle going backwards well enough to play as a boundary safety. – Ian Boyd

Coach Says:

Strengths — Great height and frame to add bulk as a defensive end. Good top end speed and exceptional lower body strength. In run defense shows good anticipation and delivers a good pop on the ball carrier transferring power from his lower body through his pads. Limited pass rush highlights show persistent effort and active hands. Special teams contributor. Looks like he has soft hands. Ultra competitive.

Areas for Improvement — Position is unclear, but I see him as a safety or hybrid linebacker type. Special teams highlights show a great return after a horrible decision to field the kick. Would like to see agility testing.

How this affects Texas:

McDonald is the quintessential senior breakout prospect. At 6-foot-2.5 and 205 pounds, On3’s No. 3 athlete in the class of 2023 plays quarterback for Connally, lead the basketball team to a 31-4 year in 2021-2022, and won the 4A triple jump title at the state track meet in Austin last May. McDonald holds offers from Texas, Ole Miss, Arkansas, SMU, and Texas Tech. The On3 four-star is the No. 103 overall recruit in the 2023 cycle and No. 22 overall prospect in Texas, according to On3’s rankings. McDonald and Waco Connally (8-2) take on Giddings High (3-7) Thursday, November 10th in the first round of the 4A playoffs. – Justin Wells

Intel:

McDonald is coming back to Austin this weekend for the Texas-TCU matchup. It’s the second time the former Oklahoma State commit will visit UT. McDonald is take in this cycle, but might get caught in numbers crunch situation for the Longhorns. They need another outside linebacker and McDonald fits the profile. But with 21 commitments in the 2023 class, UT will have to be creative with numbers. – Justin Wells

Goddamn it! I was told no to worry about the numbers!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Quick question for @closetojumping or anyone else in the know - how many transfers does the staff feel confident in adding, or will try to add through the portal? I remember ctj said there's a receiver and a safety. How many more guys might be added through the portal this offseason? 

Also, stupid question amnesty - is the scholarship cap at, or back to, a hard 85? Didn't they temporarily increase it due to COVID fuckery? I'll hang up and listen.....

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Fun post, but I'm not sure it's going to age too well in regards to Gideon's employment. We'll see. 

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Quick question for @closetojumping or anyone else in the know - how many transfers does the staff feel confident in adding, or will try to add through the portal? I remember ctj said there's a receiver and a safety. How many more guys might be added through the portal this offseason? 

Also, stupid question amnesty - is the scholarship cap at, or back to, a hard 85? Didn't they temporarily increase it due to COVID fuckery? I'll hang up and listen.....

Might go as high as 8, if it's the right kids. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I don't think the hard 85 ever changed, the only exception was in 2021 they allowed super-seniors who were using their covid year to not count against the 85 but I believe that was only a one-year thing.

On 11/8/2022 at 7:12 PM, Mittens said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sark hasn't been restricted by initial counters.
According to that breakdown, he signed 29.5 players per year vs 21.5 players per year the previous 7.

Sark has taken full advantage of the portal during his time here. Also I added Worthy and the 6 transfers from 2021 as they were his. So the numbers look a little skewed due to his short time here

• Hook 'Em 3