Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Edgewater's Cedric Baxter Jr. returns to score game-winner vs. Tampa Bay Tech

Jon Santucci, Palm Beach Post

Fri, November 18, 2022 at 11:58 PM

ORLANDO — Cedric Baxter Jr. couldn’t have picked a better time to play his first full game in more than a month.

The Edgewater senior running back, ranked No. 6 on the USA Today Florida Network top 100, rushed for the eventual game-winning score in the fourth quarter as the top-seeded Eagles held on to beat Tampa Bay Tech 28-24 on Friday night in a 3 M regional semifinal.

“This is really my first game back in a long time,” said Baxter, who’s been dealing with a hamstring issue. “So to come out here and get the dub in a hard-fought game, it felt good. I feel good, I’ve just got to get back into the groove of things.”

Baxter, a Texas commit, was the focal point of the Titans' defensive game plan, which helped Edgewater quarterback Chase Carter break loose for a pair of touchdowns in the first half. Carter also threw a first-quarter touchdown pass to Camp Gobler, a Northwestern commit.

There were no penalties on his fourth-quarter run — a 47-yard scamper up the middle. Once Baxter broke free of an attempted leg tackle and got into the open field, no one was going to catch him.

“I told the coaches, ‘Let’s keep running power,’” Baxter said. “I felt like I was going to break it. I just needed to get into a rhythm and that’s what we did.”

As for his recruiting, with little more than a month to go before the early signing period, Baxter remains firmly committed to Texas.

He said Florida State’s been recruiting him hard, but he’s not going to flip.

“They’re definitely trying,” Baxter said of the Seminoles. “Nah. I’m committed to Texas.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/edgewaters-cedric-baxter-jr-returns-045847057.html

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

.. his wideout tracked the ball nicely.

Was going to say, if that was Ewers to Worthy, Worthy would have kept running straight upfield and then ball would’ve landed 3 yards away from him towards the sideline. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I think Baxter sees how we use Robinson and envisions himself there (yeah no shit sherlock) which is why he's going to stay, as well as his relationship with Marion.

That being said, you can immediately turn this performance on Sark and say "if Bijan can do this, why didn't you feed him like this last week?."
I'm glad Bijan is popping off today to calm some of the FSU smoke honestly.

13 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I think Baxter sees how we use Robinson and envisions himself there (yeah no shit sherlock) which is why he's going to stay, as well as his relationship with Marion.

That being said, you can immediately turn this performance on Sark and say "if Bijan can do this, why didn't you feed him like this last week?."

Choice

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

You meant Choice.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The reason we struggled against TCU was because Sark wasnt throwing it side to side and intermediate where the gaps were. He was running it and throwing it deep, which is exactly why that defense is designed to stop. Quinn not throwing better deep balls isn’t why we lost to TCU. That was on Sark. 

Sark went full Herman. Bringing in TEs and stacking the box vs a stacked box. Meathead football. I love it when you can get 5 yards a pop running, but to your point spreading it horizontally makes it harder to stack the box 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

These DB recruits, is it no surprise to anyone that they might not want to play in a soft zone defense that has been eaten alive all year?   That we have all been asking wtf are they doing this?  Play Texas run slants, underneath throws, complete them, draw safeties in then throw deep….  It’s a unbeatable formula if you have a decent qb. 

13 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

The reason we struggled against TCU was because Sark wasnt throwing it side to side and intermediate where the gaps were. He was running it and throwing it deep, which is exactly why that defense is designed to stop. Quinn not throwing better deep balls isn’t why we lost to TCU. That was on Sark. 

Seems like he learned a bit yesterday and called/designed a game much more to what we can do well as opposed to what Sark wants us to do well. Baby steps. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

These DB recruits, is it no surprise to anyone that they might not want to play in a soft zone defense that has been eaten alive all year?   That we have all been asking wtf are they doing this?

What has been so bad about DB recruiting recently for you to make this comment? I sure do hate having Malik Muhammad and Derek Williams currently in this class. First world problems.