Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

19 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Turns out that all the PK groveling all off-season was premature. Really excited to see how we look as he continues to bring in his kind of guys.

I think with 2 new safeties, a better linebacker, and an ED we will be much better. I still don't think we have recruited or have on the roster a dominant ED. I guess throwing numbers at the problem will help, though. Safeties will be fine if the transfer comes through. It looks like LB will be addressed through recruiting. We will have huge losses on the DL but I think we will be fine albeit with a little downgrade next year.

26 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Turns out that all the PK groveling all off-season was premature. Really excited to see how we look as he continues to bring in his kind of guys.

I think he said the goal was to give up 20 points a game, right?  
Defense gave a winning effort so far in 9 games, arguably 10. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Par4 said:

I don't think he will. I think he will end up at NC State and reunite with Tim Beck. 

I went to the NC State game last week — the volume of “Fire Tim Beck” chants seemed to indicate that he’s not a fan favorite haha

Edited by ATXhorn17
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, victory88 said:

Give that PK fella a raise!

ATenMillionayear!

Actually, count my dumbass ass as being very happy with the defense. They've played with intensity and teamwork all year, and they've improved.

I think the team as a whole is just incomplete regarding talent. Woeful need of an EDGE rush. Who knows how many sacks we'd have? 

As I wrote on the game thread, I'm now optimistic about this staff.  Fill in some soft spots on the team with recruiting and transfers, and we may just have something next year. 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

ATenMillionayear!

Actually, count my dumbass ass and being very happy with the defense. They've played with intensity and teamwork all year, and they've improved.

I think the team as a whole is just incomplete regarding talent. Woeful need of an EDGE rush. Who knows how many sacks we'd have? 

As I wrote on the game thread, I'm now optimistic about this staff.  Fill in some soft spots on the team with recruiting and transfers, and we may just have something next year. 

The defense has been awesome. We have not played complimentary football all year. The only games that I was upset with the defense was Tech and Okst and both of those games could have been put away by the offense by the time the 4th qtr rolled around.  At this time last year things were not looking great. Get this class signed with Anthony Hill. Wreck shit in the portal and get back to me in a year 

3 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Seems like he learned a bit yesterday and called/designed a game much more to what we can do well as opposed to what Sark wants us to do well. Baby steps. 

IMO if Sark has to pare down the offense that much for Quinn, Sark should've stuck with Hudson Card as QB1 after the WVU game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

ATenMillionayear!

Actually, count my dumbass ass and being very happy with the defense. They've played with intensity and teamwork all year, and they've improved.

Let me know your thoughts on the staff next Saturday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

Let me know your thoughts on the staff next Saturday. 

Still holding out for a bad showing? That's one way to experience a season, I suppose. "I predicted we would be bad and, thank goodness!, we were! Me making predictions nobody gives a shit about and then being right is what it's all about."

My optimism may be wrong. The only downside of that would be that we lose or look shitty. I don't care if you want to revisit an opinion of mine to crow. 

EDIT: I was way off with this. It likely applies to someone, but not pearlandhorn. Apologies.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Seems like he learned a bit yesterday and called/designed a game much more to what we can do well as opposed to what Sark wants us to do well. Baby steps. 

Yesterday’s game didn’t show anything about Sark learning, we just had a dominant run game against a horrible run D. His biggest issues are adjustments and figuring out the drop 8 defense. Neither of those came into play. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Still holding out for a bad showing? That's one way to experience a season, I suppose. "I predicted we would be bad and, thank goodness!, we were! Me making predictions nobody gives a shit about and then being right is what it's all about."

My optimism may be wrong. The only downside of that would be that we lose or look shitty. I don't care if you want to revisit an opinion of mine to crow. 

No no. I wasn’t expecting a bad season. And I definitely didn’t hope for one. My comment wasn’t meant specifically for you but for the entire board. We go from “we should be in the playoff” to “holy shit we aren’t winning another game with sark in charge” in about 3 plays. 

I wasn’t trying to single you out at all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yesterday’s game didn’t show anything about Sark learning, we just had a dominant run game against a horrible run D. His biggest issues are adjustments and figuring out the drop 8 defense. Neither of those came into play. 

I think an audible would help with 8 in the box on first down when we always call run and would also help when teams drop 8. On third and 10, we need to learn to throw short and intermediate passes. Using the TE like we did against Bama would help, too.

38 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

No no. I wasn’t expecting a bad season. And I definitely didn’t hope for one. My comment wasn’t meant specifically for you but for the entire board. We go from “we should be in the playoff” to “holy shit we aren’t winning another game with sark in charge” in about 3 plays. 

I wasn’t trying to single you out at all.

Now you made me feel like a dick. Fuck you, man! Stop persecuting me!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I think it is fair to say that the team is improved at every position outside of WR. For the better play at times that Casey Thompson provided against lower tier defenses last season, he was a cancer in the locker room. Him being gone is a net positive regardless. Quinn has some shit to work on next season, but Arch will be breathing down his neck so that will be good for him, or he will fold and give way to Arch. Either way we should see improvement there next season. The WR thing perplexes me. Every guy outside of JWhit has just been bad. We need a talent infusion and for Marion to produce some actual development. I think losing Neyor was a bigger blow than we could have expected.

Calling the receiver who leads us in yards and tds bad is certainly a choice.  We all expected more for one reason or another and hes certainly had some struggles but calling him bad is a stretch.

• Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Calling the receiver who leads us in yards and tds bad is certainly a choice.  We all expected more for one reason or another and hes certainly had some struggles but calling him bad is a stretch.

If we can get a couple more bad receivers like Worthy who average a TD per game, we will start kicking serious ass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think losing Neyor was a bigger blow than we could have expected. most were willing to admit.

FIFY. Omeire? Cain? Alexis? Neyor was killing it in practice. Once he was gone, we didn't hear much other than hope for Hall.

Next year, we could have similar problems if Red can't replace Whittington, Cook isn't as advertised, Neyor isn't recovered, and/or we don't pick up a transfer. In other words, we aren't necessarily where we want to be at wr.

23 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Would've been nice if he kept it but at the end of the day don't think it'll really matter regardless. Probably be done in 3 like Banks 

The odd one is Cam Williams. Been on special teams from the beginning, but very little OL play 

40 minutes ago, Bevo said:

FIFY. Omeire? Cain? Alexis? Neyor was killing it in practice. Once he was gone, we didn't hear much other than hope for Hall.

Next year, we could have similar problems if Red can't replace Whittington, Cook isn't as advertised, Neyor isn't recovered, and/or we don't pick up a transfer. In other words, we aren't necessarily where we want to be at wr.

I hear ya. 2023 WR recruiting has been disappointing with Arch in the boat. I’d say they need 2 starter level WRs. Which will be quite difficult. 

Is Alexis alive? 2 years to come back from an ACL seems like a uniquely Texas Football problem. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hear ya. 2023 WR recruiting has been disappointing with Arch in the boat. I’d say they need 2 starter level WRs. Which will be quite difficult. 

Is Alexis alive? 2 years to come back from an ACL seems like a uniquely Texas Football problem. 

Yea two top 10 WRs with a shot at Moore is p lame

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 9