Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So OU might land Hicks, Jackson Arnold, the 5 star DL from St. Louis, and Pettaway. A 6-5 team with a 49 point loss to their blood feud rival shouldn't be able to sign three 5 stars, but here we are. Feels like John Blake all over again. Big time recruiter, dog shit coach. 

aggy imploding couldn't come at a better time. OU is probably a problem again on the recruiting trail. 

So.. kind of like our class last year?

3 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

I'm only posting here since I don't know which thread it goes in, and we have been talking about potential recieving woes. It seems like Coach Marion is pushing to keep Whittington one more year? Would absolutely love this.

FiH_Fv7WAAIgngu?format=jpg&name=large

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Does Sark’s wife dress everybody on that team?

The Munster is in style these days

Herman's Diet' | The munsters, Munsters tv show, Old tv shows

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Fair enough, but : 

- We only signed two 5 stars.

- Lost to Kansas, but didn't take a smooth butt f***ing from OU. 

What's the story with Jackson Arnold? It feels like OU lucked into that one. I get not wanting to play for Jimbo, but LSU is pretty damned good and not much farther than OU. 

It wasnt a smooth butt fucking but we definitely got a dick in the box.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So OU might land Hicks, Jackson Arnold, the 5 star DL from St. Louis, and Pettaway. A 6-5 team with a 49 point loss to their blood feud rival shouldn't be able to sign three 5 stars, but here we are. Feels like John Blake all over again. Big time recruiter, dog shit coach. 

aggy imploding couldn't come at a better time. OU is probably a problem again on the recruiting trail. 

Hicks and Pettaway are unfortunate losses, but that's only 2 players.

Arnold is worse than our QB commit and we aren't entitled to out of state 5*s.

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They were overrated trash and a miss by everyone. They got outhustled and outplayed from day one at Bama. I’m sure they’ll land softly at SMU in the not too distant future, to silly local media coverage. 

Can you please put aside your political  correctness and tell us how you really feel about the situation?

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

They were overrated trash and a miss by everyone. They got outhustled and outplayed from day one at Bama. I’m sure they’ll land softly at SMU in the not too distant future, to silly local media coverage. 

I walked past Blake Brockermeyer in Parlin around 1994 or so. Two observations:

(1) I’m 6’0”, and he was barley taller than me.

(2) He looked like an asshole.

/csb

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Vermin said:

Hicks and Pettaway are unfortunate losses, but that's only 2 players.

Arnold is worse than our QB commit and we aren't entitled to out of state 5*s.

I remember Johntay Cook having a tweet about Pettaway. Something along the lines of we dont want him. 

32 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I remember Johntay Cook having a tweet about Pettaway. Something along the lines of we dont want him. 

Pettaway was kind of a mercurial personality that didnt mesh well with the other guys on trips. If I recall, he basically stayed in his room the entire time on his OV.

Recruiting Notebook: 2023 Anthony Hill Jr

Justin Wells•5 minutes

Article written by:Justin Wells

Anthony Hil Jr during a playoff game in 2021. (Getty Images)

Inside Texas takes a closer look at Denton (Texas) Ryan linebacker, On3 Consensus No. 1 overall LB and top Texas target Anthony Hill Jr. in the Notebook.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13145431/Anthony-Hill-Jr

How he fits at Texas: Anthony Hill is something truly rare, a 6-foot-2, 220+ pound athlete with power and acceleration who actually played inside linebacker in high school and played it a lot. Normally these guys play as an outside linebacker and have to recover years of lost reps in college to learn how to play inside. Hill could actually end up outside because of his power and acceleration, but he’ll probably stay inside where he’s developed a lot of invaluable familiarity.

He’s the ideal Will linebacker in a zone blitz scheme, comparable to De’Gabriel Floyd and truly the sort of player Todd Orlando or Dave Aranda would crave in systems closely related to Pete Kwiatkowski’s. Denton Ryan worked to keep him aligned in the box and covered up so he could wreck run games playing downhill or scraping into adjacent gaps and then turned him loose on 3rd down. He makes sense in Kwiatkowski’s defense as a boundary inside linebacker who focuses on piling up tackles and coming through interior gaps like a bull on zone blitzes. – Ian Boyd

Coach Says: Strengths — Good height and build for the position. Longish arms.  Could easily put on a few more pounds but likely can play at his current size day one. Excellent strength in the lower body that he translates into his contact. Good explosiveness on a few highlights where he gets vertical. Great acceleration evident on film with above average straight line speed.  Very good change of direction for a man this size and can reliably play the run sideline to sideline.  Good recognition with few false steps.  Triggers quickly and attacks his keys instinctively. Keeps gap integrity regularly and uses great hand placement and light feet to scrape over gaps. Uses arms effectively to leverage the blocker and has active hands.  Shows good upper body strength when engaged. Arrives at the ball quickly, playing head up, and closing fast. Stays square whenever possible. Has a plus motor and very much a “see ball, hit ball” LB.  In pass defense, looks comfortable in reverse playing mostly a landmark based zone.  As a pass rusher, gains interior gaps so quickly and gets thin to split double teams. Rarely goes backward on contact. Very productive and disruptive player and has been a team leader for multiple seasons on a championship contending team.

Areas for Improvement — Would like to see more evidence of his ball skills. Pass rush is mostly just pure speed or bull rush. Not a lot of video evidence of him having to show mature pass rush moves. Would like to see more video of him matching up in space.

How this affects Texas: The Horns have been hunting the five-star linebacker for over three years. With DeMarvion Overshown headed to the NFL, there’s a spot for early playing time for Hill Jr. With S’Maje Burrell, Liona Lefau, and Derion Gullette in the 2023 cycle, Hill Jr. would be the cherry on top of an impressive linebacking haul. – Justin Wells

Intel: Inside Texas wouldn’t be shocked if Anthony Hill Jr doesn’t make many more college visits. He’s not scheduled to be in Austin for the Texas-Baylor bash on Friday. There’s a chance he sees Alabama, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M in the early weeks of December, but the Horns have a lot of momentum in this recruitment and won’t let up until NSD. – JW

Ian Boyd contributed to this article.

• Hook 'Em 2

Chad Simmons:

4-star LB Anthony Hill

The buzz: This one is trending towards Texas in a big way. Anthony Hill was at one time committed to Texas A&M, and the buzz is that he will end up staying home, but in Austin instead of College Station. Alabama and Ohio State look to be schools that could potentially get him on campus before he makes a decision, but Hill is trending toward the Longhorns. He was in Austin for the TCU game, and a decision could come at any time.

4-star ATH Jelani McDonald

The buzz: The four-star athlete out of Waco (Texas) Connally Jelani McDonald was at one time committed to Oklahoma State. After re-opening his recruitment late in October, McDonald is expected to stay in his home state. The buzz has been around Texas, but TCU is right there with the Longhorns. His father played at TCU, so there is a connection and he is expected to take an official visit in December. Texas is in line to receive an official visit from McDonald next month as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Pettaway was kind of a mercurial personality that didnt mesh well with the other guys on trips. If I recall, he basically stayed in his room the entire time on his OV.

Some people are quiet nerds and not party animals. Doesn't mean they can't play.

• Hook 'Em 2

Hudson

Spoiler

— The Texas high school football playoffs offer an opportunity each season for underclassmen to break out on the statewide stage and emerge as priority recruits. No player embodied that sentiment more last season than Texas commit and Austin Westlake EDGE Colton Vasek as he put up record-breaking numbers weekly but only received two scholarship offers before the end of his state title winning campaign.

This year another EDGE prospect from the greater Austin area is putting up a similar dominant but somehow under-the-radar junior season in Dripping Springs 2024 EDGE Tomsen Vickery. The 6-foot-5, 215-pounder is lethal off the edge for the Tigers but is also versatile enough for significant snaps at off-ball linebacker at the high school level. This is a recruitment I expect to blow up over the next six months as his senior film and full stats eventually get posted and make the rounds. For Texas the Dripping Springs native would profile to the bigger-bodied JACK position.

— I checked in with a few sources on Dalton Brooks and Johnny Bowens over the weekend and the feeling was that A&M didn't have anything to worry about with Brooks and that Bowens would likely be an Oregon or Texas A&M decision. The positive news? When I checked with those sources they mentioned unprompted that they feel like Texas is clearly in the driver's seat for five-star Denton Ryan linebacker Anthony Hill.

— Yesterday Texas basketball handled business against Northern Arizona 73-48 and landed a commitment from five-star combo guard AJ Johnson from Southern California Academy. Johnson joins Duncanville five-star forward Ron Holland in the 2023 class for Texas and helps the Horns join blue blood programs Duke and Kentucky as the only squads in the country with multiple top 15 prospects committed.

COMMENTS

Texas head coach Chris Beard's ability to construct a roster through the portal, elite high school recruiting, early positive indicators for this year's on-court product, and the rousing success of the brand new Moody Center make this the most excited I've ever been as a Texas basketball fan. The Horns will host UTRGV at Gregory Gymnasium as part of their "Throwback game" on Saturday before facing back to back tough tests against No. 10 Creighton and No. 16 Illinois.

Zion Fowler. Pitt decommit visiting

Spoiler

Receiver Zion Fowler, who decommitted from Pittsburgh last week, told 247Sports he was in the process of setting up a pair of visits.

The Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter's Prep prospect could have something in place shortly.

"I’m about to set UNC and Texas," he said. "Figuring out dates. I’m still trying to set stuff up."

Fowler has a connection to Texas receivers coach Brennan Marion, who forged a relationship with the 6-foot-1, 185-pound Fowler while he was at Pittsburgh last season.

In fact, Fowler committed to the Panthers in October 2021, but he pulled back his commitment last week.

"I have a good relationship with the wide receivers coach," Fowler said in regards to Marion. "Also, (quarterback coach) Arch Manning knows how to sling it so I wouldn’t mind catching from him."

Meanwhile, the way North Carolina runs its offense appeals to Fowler.

"I love UNC’s offense as well as the way they get their receivers the ball," he said. "They developed Josh Downs as a top wide receiver in the ACC and the country."

After Fowler decommitted, he said South Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, Penn State, Auburn, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Ole Miss and Tennessee were also quick to reach out.

"The main thing I want is an offense that is going to get me NFL ready," the 6-foot-1, 185-pound Fowler said, "and to really develop me not only as a wr but also a player so I can be ready for the next level."

Fowler had 36 catches for 729 yards (20.3 average) and nine touchdowns. He also impacted the Marauders as a kick and punt returner.

Very good list of teams interested

https://247sports.com/Player/Zion-Fowler-46116135/

Edited by Teryor
  • Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said he's hearing more chatter about Hicks sticking with A&M.

I guess we'd rather him go and join that dumpster fire than go to OU and accidentally get developed.

I'm guessing Hicks Sr views aggy as a one year rental. 

We're going to have evaluate/develop well at DL. These 5 star DL recruitments don't seem to be going well for us. 

• Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm guessing Hicks Sr views aggy as a one year rental. 

We're going to have evaluate/develop well at DL. These 5 star DL recruitments don't seem to be going well for us. 

Touching on the one year rental, isn't Elijah Robinson viewed as a bit of a DL witch/developer? I wonder if this speaks at all to him staying another year. I honestly figured he'd jump ship to wherever Rhule is going as a DC moving forward.

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Touching on the one year rental, isn't Elijah Robinson viewed as a bit of a DL witch/developer? I wonder if this speaks at all to him staying another year. I honestly figured he'd jump ship to wherever Rhule is going as a DC moving forward.

Have you watched an aggy game this year? I believe they're last in SEC rush defense. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said Payton Kirkland is taking his OV the weekend of December 17th and it sounds like the staff wants to get all the commits and uncommitted targets left on the board together one last time before signing day.

Early signing period starts the 21st for those like me who assumed it was before the 17th

• Hook 'Em 2