Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

On 11/19/2022 at 9:25 PM, Hookem2147 said:

Posting this again cuz it’s been a few weeks and I think a few have been added.

Early enrollees that have been mentioned on 9.95 sites: QB Arch Manning, RB Cedric Baxter, WR Johntay Cook, OL Payton Kirkland, OL Connor Stroh, OL Jaydon Chatman, OL Andre Cojoe, DT Sydir Mitchell, Edge Colton Vasek, LB Liona Lefau CB Malik Muhammad, S Derek Williams.

LB Anthony Hill (uncommitted) also an early enrollee

Additions: OL Trevor Goosby, LB Derion Gullette

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I can’t blame anyone getting excited about recruiting when things are going well, so have at it. The thing that excites me more than any specific OL recruit is just OL volume overall. Flood appears to clearly know what he’s doing. I assume if Texas is landing 5+ guys each year on the OL with this staff, the OL is eventually going to be able to get old and stay old. I feel like that’s what elite programs have always done and a big key missing for Texas over the last 13 years. 

I'm old enough to remember when we were critical of Mack for recruiting too many OL every year. "OL who can't play just take up space on the roster, can't contribute elsewhere, and don't transfer. They are dead weight." Buried in the subtext was a collective recognition that the coaches didn't know what they wanted on the OL and couldn't evaluate. Amazing how perspectives change when the OL coach has a plan and a culture that demands performance.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm old enough to remember when we were critical of Mack for recruiting too many OL every year. "OL who can't play just take up space on the roster, can't contribute elsewhere, and don't transfer. They are dead weight." Buried in the subtext was a collective recognition that the coaches didn't know what they wanted on the OL and couldn't evaluate. Amazing how perspectives change when the OL coach has a plan and a culture that demands performance.

Take me back to the days of offering and accepting an OL commit in a wheel chair. 

• Haha 6
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You mean to tell me that Mack's plan to only take Terrell Cuney on the OL in the 2014 class wasn't a good one?

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 3

27 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Good points. My issues during the Mack Brown era with the OL were threefold:

1) The OL coaches were objectively terrible with a proven history of poor performance. 

2) The unevenness of the collection of OL classes. Taking 6 in one class and then 2 in the next, 3 after that and then 7 after that. Just absurd shit. 

3) The evaluations were generally terrible but they were also all over the map. Tall and skinny guys, then some cubes, then some giant fucking guys with no feet. 

I’ll always feel like they stumbled into that 2004-2007 group of guys, and thank goodness. 

Another thing that is key now versus then is that OLs won’t be dead weight on rosters. The transfer portal makes trapdooring guys regret free and good programs will see it for what it is. 

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Take me back to the days of offering and accepting an OL commit in a wheel chair. 

Taylor Doyle. Geez. On Shaggy, I was running over Mack’s lazy recruiting and passing info on from folks near the program being critical too. When we talked about the absurdity of that take, people were climbing over themselves to defend it all. That was a thing then, largely because Brown was still winning and “you’re not a corchez!!?!” 

My response boiled down to a line PhxHorn used to say offline quite often: “The problem with taking a lot of these low rated reaches is, well, eventually that’s who you’re going to be playing. “

And would you look at that, Doyle ended up having to play quite a lot, solely due to terrible OL roster management and development. 

• Hook 'Em 8

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good points. My issues during the Mack Brown era with the OL were threefold:

1) The OL coaches were objectively terrible with a proven history of poor performance. 

2) The unevenness of the collection of OL classes. Taking 6 in one class and then 2 in the next, 3 after that and then 7 after that. Just absurd shit. 

3) The evaluations were generally terrible but they were also all over the map. Tall and skinny guys, then some cubes, then some giant fucking guys with no feet. 

I’ll always feel like they stumbled into that 2004-2007 group of guys, and thank goodness. 

Another thing that is key now versus then is that OLs won’t be dead weight on rosters. The transfer portal makes trapdooring guys regret free and good programs will see it for what it is. 

Taylor Doyle. Geez. On Shaggy, I was running over Mack’s lazy recruiting and passing info on from folks near the program being critical too. When we talked about the absurdity of that take, people were climbing over themselves to defend it all. That was a thing then, largely because Brown was still winning and “you’re not a corchez!!?!” 

My response boiled down to a line PhxHorn used to say offline quite often: “The problem with taking a lot of these low rated reaches is, well, eventually that’s who you’re going to be playing. “

And would you look at that, Doyle ended up having to play quite a lot, solely due to terrible OL roster management and development. 

We were fortunate to have lagacies Studdard and Sendlein.

As a totally unrelated aside, Robin Sendlein is one of the most under rated players, imo.  Total badass LB, who had a nice career in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, cochamps said:

We were fortunate to have lagacies Studdard and Sendlein.

As a totally unrelated aside, Robin Sendlein is one of the most under rated players, imo.  Total badass LB, who had a nice career in the NFL.

Robin, Bruce, and Lance were a great LB group as I recall. Back in the option days. Ricky Churchman (safety?) could be relied upon to sink his head into the belly or chest of any back coming his way. Those were salty defenses.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Robin, Bruce, and Lance were a great LB group as I recall. Back in the option days. Ricky Churchman (safety?) could be relied upon to sink his head into the belly or chest of any back coming his way. Those were salty defenses.

Churchman was a SS.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If he would have stayed healthy, Lance Taylor would have enjoyed a long NFL career.  He was a beast.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said he's hearing more chatter about Hicks sticking with A&M.

I guess we'd rather him go and join that dumpster fire than go to OU and accidentally get developed.

How much money would you accept to move to CS and be a part of the festering dumpster fire.  It’s gotta be generational money 

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Chance to show what he's got on a big stage and rise in the rankings

LOL at folks who think Cojoe is a candidate to be processed. Why da fucc would Sark process Cojoe when there are still pre-2022 recruiting class OL on the roster who aren't gonna be in the 2-deep going forward?

Like Gerry Hamilton has said multiple times in the last month or so, Cojoe is high-ceiling take that UT doesn't wanna lose to other regional schools.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Chance to show what he's got on a big stage and rise in the rankings

25 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I don’t think this is the televised one on NBC. That one is in San Antonio, this one says Frisco. Also, the NBC one dropped the Army sponsorship a few years ago.

Fucc, I just googled it. Looks like you're right. The real All-American Bowl in San Antonio is on 1/7/23.

• Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:
Spoiler

Humidor: Smorgasbord of team and recruiting ahead of the Baylor game

Eric Nahlinabout 2 hours
humidor-smorgasbord-of-team-and-recruiting-ahead-of-the-baylor-game Roschon Johnson (Will Gallagher/Inside Texas)

After a short week Texas Football hosts Baylor on Friday. Texas is still mathematically alive to make the Big 12 Conference championship. While that outcome is unlikely, Steve Sarkisian still has the chance to improve on last season’s win total by three games before the bowl. Not earthshaking success but he and his fellow coaches can sell the program trajectory, stability in an unstable region, and player development.

The short week meant less contact in practice, but it didn’t necessarily mean less energy or focus on fundamentals. Concern over the potential of poor tackling was voiced to a source but he responded the fundamentals of tackling were still worked to the degree they could.

Yet again Texas won’t be playing in ideal weather concerns, but given UT’s offensive strengths and weaknesses that’s not viewed as a bad thing. Yet again Texas will try to be the more physical team and pound the run game before taking advantage of whatever that opens up. 

IT expects senior Roschon Johnson to give it ago despite his recent ailment. Anyone not living under a rock won’t be surprised by that. 

This being the 12th game, things are pretty straight forward. 

Some random notes:

• As of now Jaylan Ford and T’Vondre Sweat are expected back next season. Sweat would be huge for the defensive line. Obviously Ford would be big, too, but as a junior, Ford returning wouldn’t be a surprise. We’ll still be interested in their draft grades.
  • We’ve been somewhat confident Junior Angilau would return after missing the season due to injury. Our most recent checks have us a little less certain. We’re not saying he’s leaving, we’re just not sure what will happen.
  • Today a couple of sources in the program have stated they don’t think Xavier Worthy intends to leave. However, we’ll be watching that one until we hear of legitimate resolution one way or the other. There’s been smoke in too many places.
  • We have said Texas is looking for starters in the portal. That remains true. However, if they lose a young player or two unexpectedly, they may look to absorb that loss with a similar portal option and not necessarily a starter level player. Basically they’ll be going like for like. Where they need a clear starter they’ll be targeting the best the portal has to offer.

Recruiting

Anthony Hill Jr, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan 

The biggest fish left on the 2023 recruiting board continues to trend toward Texas as of today. The 6-foot-2, 220-pounder and the On3 Consensus’ No. 1 overall linebacker is still hearing from Ohio State, Alabama, and Oklahoma, but sources close to the recruitment think the chances of Hill making another trip becomes less likely by the day. 

As a linebacker Hill represents one of the biggest needs for the Texas Longhorns in the 2023 cycle. Hill wants to play with other top defenders, has become closer to Jaylan Ford, and maintains his connections with Ja’Tavion Sanders, Austin Jordan, and Ryan Watts. 

Hill might wait until the early national signing day or could make the call when he feels the time is right. Either way, Texas is in a great position to nab one of the top recruits in the nation for 2023. 

David Hicks, DL, Katy (Texas) Paetow – Texas A&M commit 

A person in the circle of the On3 Consensus 5-star told a college staff within the last 36 hours that Hicks was very likely to stick with Texas A&M. To be clear, that is not Inside Texas reporting as fact, just what one source told us. Hicks has remained in contact with the Texas staff, but has not set up a visit. Hicks made visits to Oregon and Oklahoma the last two weekends.

Ja’Kobi Lane, WR, Mesa (Ariz.) Red Mountain – USC commit 

The 6-foot-5, 180-pound 4-star recently took a trip to Austin for an official visit. Make no mistake, Lane is absolutely coveted by the Texas staff. It’s not out of the question he’s the top wide receiver target still on the board. Steve Sarkisian likes him that much. With that said, prying him from the hands of Lincoln Riley and USC will be a tall task. As unlikely as this one is, we’re still keeping the pulse just in case.

Kyle Parker, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy – LSU commit 

Sarkisian and wide receivers coach Brennan Marion have increased contact with the 4-star LSU pledge. Sources tell Inside Texas the staff is still trying to get Parker back on campus in December. The staff has been floored by his production and development over the last season. 

Parker maintains he’s solid to LSU, but those close to the 6-foot, 180-pounder says Texas has long been his dream school and he’s still in touch with the Texas staff. Add the fact Desoto (Texas) wide receiver and Texas commit Johntay Cook has been in contact with Parker about a potential flip, and you’ve got an interesting recruiting storyline to follow in December along with @Ktown777. 

Roderick Pierce, DL, Oak Lawn (Ill.) Brother Rice – Wisconsin commit

Texas is working to get Roderick “Trey” Pierce in Austin the last visit weekend prior to signing day, December 17-19. The 6-foot-2, 285-pounder is truly coveted by the Texas staff. Michigan is coming off a very successful official visit and should be considered the favorite. Illinois is also expected to receive an official visit prior to Pierce making a final decision. 

Justin Benton, DL, Covington (Ga.) Newton – West Virginia commit 

Benton will make an official visit to Texas December 3. The feeling is that the Longhorns will be in a good position to beat out Arkansas should the Texas staff be all in after the OV. 

2024 hoops recruiting

Inside Texas is comfortable saying the Longhorns lead for On3 Consensus 4-star power forward Robert Miller III (Pasadena, Texas/Memorial). The 6-foot-8.5 power forward has played with Texas associate head coach Rodney Terry in attendance this season. 

Inside Texas also feels like Texas is in a good spot for On3 Consensus 4-star combo forward Donnie Freeman(Washington, D.C./St. Johns College Prep). The 6-foot-9 skilled forward made an official visit to Texas in mid-October. Both Freeman and his family were blown away by the visit, and Freeman feels like a fit in the Texas program. 

The December 8-10 OV by 2024 big man Yves Missi (Colora, Md./Prolific Prep) will be huge for the Longhorns. Baylor has already hosted Missi and began November in a good spot. Texas covets Missi to the point of passing on a 2023 big man that recently signed elsewhere. The 6-foot-10.5 long-armed big man also has Stanford and UConn in the mix. The recruitment of Missi will determine how active Texas is in the portal this spring in terms of big men. Texas wants a power forward similar to Dylan Disu in the portal for sure, but this recruitment will tell the story if Texas works to get two bigs out of the portal in the spring.

• Hook 'Em 7

25 minutes ago, Vertigo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Eric Nahlinabout 2 hours
humidor-smorgasbord-of-team-and-recruiting-ahead-of-the-baylor-game Roschon Johnson (Will Gallagher/Inside Texas)

After a short week Texas Football hosts Baylor on Friday. Texas is still mathematically alive to make the Big 12 Conference championship. While that outcome is unlikely, Steve Sarkisian still has the chance to improve on last season’s win total by three games before the bowl. Not earthshaking success but he and his fellow coaches can sell the program trajectory, stability in an unstable region, and player development.

The short week meant less contact in practice, but it didn’t necessarily mean less energy or focus on fundamentals. Concern over the potential of poor tackling was voiced to a source but he responded the fundamentals of tackling were still worked to the degree they could.

Yet again Texas won’t be playing in ideal weather concerns, but given UT’s offensive strengths and weaknesses that’s not viewed as a bad thing. Yet again Texas will try to be the more physical team and pound the run game before taking advantage of whatever that opens up. 

IT expects senior Roschon Johnson to give it ago despite his recent ailment. Anyone not living under a rock won’t be surprised by that. 

Some random notes:

• As of now Jaylan Ford and T’Vondre Sweat are expected back next season. Sweat would be huge for the defensive line. Obviously Ford would be big, too, but as a junior, Ford returning wouldn’t be a surprise. We’ll still be interested in their draft grades.
  • We’ve been somewhat confident Junior Angilau would return after missing the season due to injury. Our most recent checks have us a little less certain. We’re not saying he’s leaving, we’re just not sure what will happen.
  • Today a couple of sources in the program have stated they don’t think Xavier Worthy intends to leave. However, we’ll be watching that one until we hear of legitimate resolution one way or the other. There’s been smoke in too many places.
  • We have said Texas is looking for starters in the portal. That remains true. However, if they lose a young player or two unexpectedly, they may look to absorb that loss with a similar portal option and not necessarily a starter level player. Basically they’ll be going like for like. Where they need a clear starter they’ll be targeting the best the portal has to offer.

Recruiting

Anthony Hill Jr, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan 

The biggest fish left on the 2023 recruiting board continues to trend toward Texas as of today. The 6-foot-2, 220-pounder and the On3 Consensus’ No. 1 overall linebacker is still hearing from Ohio State, Alabama, and Oklahoma, but sources close to the recruitment think the chances of Hill making another trip becomes less likely by the day. 

As a linebacker Hill represents one of the biggest needs for the Texas Longhorns in the 2023 cycle. Hill wants to play with other top defenders, has become closer to Jaylan Ford, and maintains his connections with Ja’Tavion Sanders, Austin Jordan, and Ryan Watts. 

Hill might wait until the early national signing day or could make the call when he feels the time is right. Either way, Texas is in a great position to nab one of the top recruits in the nation for 2023. 

A person in the circle of the On3 Consensus 5-star told a college staff within the last 36 hours that Hicks was very likely to stick with Texas A&M. To be clear, that is not Inside Texas reporting as fact, just what one source told us. Hicks has remained in contact with the Texas staff, but has not set up a visit. Hicks made visits to Oregon and Oklahoma the last two weekends.

The 6-foot-5, 180-pound 4-star recently took a trip to Austin for an official visit. Make no mistake, Lane is absolutely coveted by the Texas staff. It’s not out of the question he’s the top wide receiver target still on the board. Steve Sarkisian likes him that much. With that said, prying him from the hands of Lincoln Riley and USC will be a tall task. As unlikely as this one is, we’re still keeping the pulse just in case.

Sarkisian and wide receivers coach Brennan Marion have increased contact with the 4-star LSU pledge. Sources tell Inside Texas the staff is still trying to get Parker back on campus in December. The staff has been floored by his production and development over the last season. 

Parker maintains he’s solid to LSU, but those close to the 6-foot, 180-pounder says Texas has long been his dream school and he’s still in touch with the Texas staff. Add the fact Desoto (Texas) wide receiver and Texas commit Johntay Cook has been in contact with Parker about a potential flip, and you’ve got an interesting recruiting storyline to follow in December along with @Ktown777. 

Texas is working to get Roderick “Trey” Pierce in Austin the last visit weekend prior to signing day, December 17-19. The 6-foot-2, 285-pounder is truly coveted by the Texas staff. Michigan is coming off a very successful official visit and should be considered the favorite. Illinois is also expected to receive an official visit prior to Pierce making a final decision. 

Justin Benton, DL, Covington (Ga.) Newton – West Virginia commit 

Benton will make an official visit to Texas December 3. The feeling is that the Longhorns will be in a good position to beat out Arkansas should the Texas staff be all in after the OV. 

2024 hoops recruiting

Inside Texas is comfortable saying the Longhorns lead for On3 Consensus 4-star power forward Robert Miller III (Pasadena, Texas/Memorial). The 6-foot-8.5 power forward has played with Texas associate head coach Rodney Terry in attendance this season. 

Inside Texas also feels like Texas is in a good spot for On3 Consensus 4-star combo forward Donnie Freeman(Washington, D.C./St. Johns College Prep). The 6-foot-9 skilled forward made an official visit to Texas in mid-October. Both Freeman and his family were blown away by the visit, and Freeman feels like a fit in the Texas program. 

The December 8-10 OV by 2024 big man Yves Missi (Colora, Md./Prolific Prep) will be huge for the Longhorns. Baylor has already hosted Missi and began November in a good spot. Texas covets Missi to the point of passing on a 2023 big man that recently signed elsewhere. The 6-foot-10.5 long-armed big man also has Stanford and UConn in the mix. The recruitment of Missi will determine how active Texas is in the portal this spring in terms of big men. Texas wants a power forward similar to Dylan Disu in the portal for sure, but this recruitment will tell the story if Texas works to get two bigs out of the portal in the spring.

Spoiler

Eric Nahlin•about 2 hours

IT expects senior Roschon Johnson to give it ago despite his recent ailment. Anyone not living under a rock won’t be surprised by that. 

Some random notes:

As of now Jaylan Ford and T’Vondre Sweat are expected back next season. Sweat would be huge for the defensive line. Obviously Ford would be big, too, but as a junior, Ford returning wouldn’t be a surprise. We’ll still be interested in their draft grades.
We’ve been somewhat confident Junior Angilau would return after missing the season due to injury. Our most recent checks have us a little less certain. We’re not saying he’s leaving, we’re just not sure what will happen.
Today a couple of sources in the program have stated they don’t think Xavier Worthy intends to leave. However, we’ll be watching that one until we hear of legitimate resolution one way or the other. There’s been smoke in too many places.
We have said Texas is looking for starters in the portal. That remains true. However, if they lose a young player or two unexpectedly, they may look to absorb that loss with a similar portal option and not necessarily a starter level player. Basically they’ll be going like for like. Where they need a clear starter they’ll be targeting the best the portal has to offer.
Recruiting
Anthony Hill Jr, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan 

The 6-foot-5, 180-pound 4-star recently took a trip to Austin for an official visit. Make no mistake, Lane is absolutely coveted by the Texas staff. It’s not out of the question he’s the top wide receiver target still on the board. Steve Sarkisian likes him that much. With that said, prying him from the hands of Lincoln Riley and USC will be a tall task. As unlikely as this one is, we’re still keeping the pulse just in case.

Parker maintains he’s solid to LSU, but those close to the 6-foot, 180-pounder says Texas has long been his dream school and he’s still in touch with the Texas staff. Add the fact Desoto (Texas) wide receiver and Texas commit Johntay Cook has been in contact with Parker about a potential flip, and you’ve got an interesting recruiting storyline to follow in December along with @Ktown777. 

Justin Benton, DL, Covington (Ga.) Newton – West Virginia commit 

2024 hoops recruiting
Inside Texas is comfortable saying the Longhorns lead for On3 Consensus 4-star power forward Robert Miller III (Pasadena, Texas/Memorial). The 6-foot-8.5 power forward has played with Texas associate head coach Rodney Terry in attendance this season. 

Inside Texas also feels like Texas is in a good spot for On3 Consensus 4-star combo forward Donnie Freeman(Washington, D.C./St. Johns College Prep). The 6-foot-9 skilled forward made an official visit to Texas in mid-October. Both Freeman and his family were blown away by the visit, and Freeman feels like a fit in the Texas program. 

The December 8-10 OV by 2024 big man Yves Missi (Colora, Md./Prolific Prep) will be huge for the Longhorns. Baylor has already hosted Missi and began November in a good spot. Texas covets Missi to the point of passing on a 2023 big man that recently signed elsewhere. The 6-foot-10.5 long-armed big man also has Stanford and UConn in the mix. The recruitment of Missi will determine how active Texas is in the portal this spring in terms of big men. Texas wants a power forward similar to Dylan Disu in the portal for sure, but this recruitment will tell the story if Texas works to get two bigs out of the portal in the spring.

cheers bro, adjusted it for dark mode users.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Spoiler

Eric Nahlin•about 2 hours

IT expects senior Roschon Johnson to give it ago despite his recent ailment. Anyone not living under a rock won’t be surprised by that. 
Some random notes:
As of now Jaylan Ford and T’Vondre Sweat are expected back next season. Sweat would be huge for the defensive line. Obviously Ford would be big, too, but as a junior, Ford returning wouldn’t be a surprise. We’ll still be interested in their draft grades.
We’ve been somewhat confident Junior Angilau would return after missing the season due to injury. Our most recent checks have us a little less certain. We’re not saying he’s leaving, we’re just not sure what will happen.
Today a couple of sources in the program have stated they don’t think Xavier Worthy intends to leave. However, we’ll be watching that one until we hear of legitimate resolution one way or the other. There’s been smoke in too many places.
We have said Texas is looking for starters in the portal. That remains true. However, if they lose a young player or two unexpectedly, they may look to absorb that loss with a similar portal option and not necessarily a starter level player. Basically they’ll be going like for like. Where they need a clear starter they’ll be targeting the best the portal has to offer.
Recruiting
Anthony Hill Jr, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan 

The 6-foot-5, 180-pound 4-star recently took a trip to Austin for an official visit. Make no mistake, Lane is absolutely coveted by the Texas staff. It’s not out of the question he’s the top wide receiver target still on the board. Steve Sarkisian likes him that much. With that said, prying him from the hands of Lincoln Riley and USC will be a tall task. As unlikely as this one is, we’re still keeping the pulse just in case.
Parker maintains he’s solid to LSU, but those close to the 6-foot, 180-pounder says Texas has long been his dream school and he’s still in touch with the Texas staff. Add the fact Desoto (Texas) wide receiver and Texas commit Johntay Cook has been in contact with Parker about a potential flip, and you’ve got an interesting recruiting storyline to follow in December along with @Ktown777. 
Justin Benton, DL, Covington (Ga.) Newton – West Virginia commit 
2024 hoops recruiting
Inside Texas is comfortable saying the Longhorns lead for On3 Consensus 4-star power forward Robert Miller III (Pasadena, Texas/Memorial). The 6-foot-8.5 power forward has played with Texas associate head coach Rodney Terry in attendance this season. 
Inside Texas also feels like Texas is in a good spot for On3 Consensus 4-star combo forward Donnie Freeman(Washington, D.C./St. Johns College Prep). The 6-foot-9 skilled forward made an official visit to Texas in mid-October. Both Freeman and his family were blown away by the visit, and Freeman feels like a fit in the Texas program. 

The December 8-10 OV by 2024 big man Yves Missi (Colora, Md./Prolific Prep) will be huge for the Longhorns. Baylor has already hosted Missi and began November in a good spot. Texas covets Missi to the point of passing on a 2023 big man that recently signed elsewhere. The 6-foot-10.5 long-armed big man also has Stanford and UConn in the mix. The recruitment of Missi will determine how active Texas is in the portal this spring in terms of big men. Texas wants a power forward similar to Dylan Disu in the portal for sure, but this recruitment will tell the story if Texas works to get two bigs out of the portal in the spring.

cheers bro, adjusted it for dark mode users.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

For about 90% of players I say that coming back would be a mistake, but in both of their instances I really believe they'd improve their draft position in a big way, particularly Ford. 

It's been mentioned before but I think this area will be something even opponents of NIL have to recognize as being good for the sport. Too many juniors leaving early because they have to start earning (a la Earl Thomas)? Maybe they can be persuaded to stay by removing some sort of the financial incentive, as well as risk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

It's been mentioned before but I think this area will be something even opponents of NIL have to recognize as being good for the sport. Too many juniors leaving early because they have to start earning (a la Earl Thomas)? Maybe they can be persuaded to stay by removing some sort of the financial incentive, as well as risk. 

Why the fuck would earl have come back? Can only go so high in the draft

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Hey man, it's late. I've been drinking and planning how to cook tomorrow... but mostly drinking. First junior who left under those circumstances I could think of? 

Earl left as a redshirt sophomore and the best DB in the country (robbed by Eric Berry of the Thorpe award). He made a great decision for himself.

• Hook 'Em 1

Three Texas commits to play for state championships this weekend

By: "EAR TO THE STREETS"     Nov 23rd

We are almost to the halfway mark of the Texas high school football playoffs, but other states are reaching their post-season conclusions this week. In fact, three Texas commits will play in championship settings this weekend.

Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic finds itself in a familiar place back in the Non-Public A state title. Texas defensive line commit Sydir Mitchell will anchor a Crusaders' defense that has been stingy for most of the year. A win over Ramsey (NJ) Don Bosco Prep would give Bergen Catholic its 19th title. This game will not only be a rematch of last year's state championship game, but it will also be a rematch of a regular season game between both state powers. Don Bosco handed Bergen Catholic its only loss of the season in a 31-7 victory in September. The state championship will be decided at MetLife Stadium on Friday at 6:00 p.m.

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei also finds itself in a familiar place back in the CIF Division I Southern Section Championship against fellow power Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco. Bosco and Mater Dei are the two-top ranked programs in the nation, according to MaxPreps, and the Monarchs are looking to hold on to an undefeated season and a mythical high school national championship. The Monarchs are loaded at every position and feature Texas commit Spencer Shannon at tight end. Bosco is also loaded with talent and features 2023 Texas wide receiver target Deandre Moore Jr.   A win would give the Monarchs their 12th section championship, 7th undefeated season and a likely 5th USA Today National Championship. It will also be the final game for legendary Monarch coach Bruce Rollinson who has led the program for 34 years. This game will be a rematch of an October contest that saw Mater Dei best Bosco 17-7 in a huge road win. Both teams will play for it all at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena (Calif.) on Friday at 7:30 p.m.

Texas linebacker commit Liona Lefau and the Kahuku (HI) Red Raiders will play for a ninth title since the state championship era began in 1999. Kahuku is looking to repeat after beating Honolulu (HI) St. Louis last year. The Raiders will face off against Honolulu (HI) Punahou in a rematch from earlier in the season. Kahuku scored a win over Punahou in a 27-20 home victory back in September. Lefau is part of a punishing Kahuku defense that hasn't allowed over 20 points in a game all season. The HHSAA Open Division Championship will be decided at Mililani (HI) High School on Friday at 7:00 p.m.