Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

11 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Did he lay an egg on national television during his 2,000 yard season? 

I’m not saying Bijan won’t win it. I’m just saying there’s a realistic chance he won’t, and it’s not his fault. 

Bijan definitely had rough days against the two best teams he faced (12 for 24 yards against TCU and 21 for 57 yards against Alabama), while Corum never had a game below 4.6 yards per carry (other than his two carries against tOSU).  It may come down to whether the "voters" appriciate the differences in how hard each guy had to work for their yards.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Based on the recent DL offers, I'm going to assume UT won't push for Benton.

Benton seems to be our second choice of the current targets behind Pierce. The other late offers are likely fall back options as Benton is also strongly considering Arkansas and Pierce is like 90%+ headed to Michigan. Could certainly be wrong though. 

11 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Bijan definitely had rough days against the two best teams he faced (12 for 24 yards against TCU and 21 for 57 yards against Alabama), while Corum never had a game below 4.6 yards per carry (other than his two carries against tOSU).  It may come down to whether the "voters" appriciate the differences in how hard each guy had to work for their yards.

Corum also wasn't running behind a line with two true freshmen and a sophomore starting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Blind test with no names: Which RB is the best based on counting stats? The answer leaps out quite quickly.

• Player A - 239 car, 1,431 yards, 20 TDs (6.0 ypc) & 12 rec, 146 yards, 1 TD, 3 fumbles against 55th toughest SoS
  • Player B - 304 car, 1,594 yards, 19 TDs (5.2 ypc) & 7 rec, 50 yards, 2 fumbles against 44th toughest SoS
  • Player C - 328 car, 1,643 yards, 10 TDs (5.0 ypc) & 27 rec. 240 yards, 3 TDs. 4 fumbles against 39th toughest SoS
  • Player D -247 car, 1,463 yards, 18 TDs (5.9 ypc) & 11 rec, 80 yards, 1 TD, 1 fumble against 8th toughest SoS
  • Player E - 258 car, 1,580 yards, 18 TDs (6.1 ypc) & 19 rec, 314 yards, 2 TDs, 2 fumbles against 3rd toughest SoS
  • Player F - 233 car, 1,713 yards, 19 TDs (7.4 ypc) & 2 rec, 10 yards, 5 fumbles against 86th toughest SoS

SPOILERS

A=Israel Abanikanda, B=Muhammad Ibrahim, C=Chase Brown, D=Blake Corum, E=Bijan Robinson, F=DeWayne McBride

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Lefau especially is huge as I think we might have needed to dip into the portal at LB, even if we Lefau and Hill sign, if he wasn't an EE. 

Not to pick on your in particular, but I feel like this board has been down on Burrell for this recruiting cycle. Any reasoning? Potential to decommit, unimpressive tape, position?

Another thing worth noting here is.....recruits don't give a fuck about who wins the Doak Walker award. Seriously. The Heisman moves the needle a tad, but everything else is just noise for these guys. Bijan winning or losing that trophy isn't going to make one bit of difference to Baxter. 

10 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Another thing worth noting here is.....recruits don't give a fuck about who wins the Doak Walker award. Seriously. The Heisman moves the needle a tad, but everything else is just noise for these guys. Bijan winning or losing that trophy isn't going to make one bit of difference to Baxter. 

are you saying that RB recruits don't care if a RB on the teams wins the award for the best Running Back in the country?

horseshit.

you think that they don't care that it shows that the system is RB friendly, rewards RBs and those RBs go out and win awards?

lol ok.

does it matter to Sydir MItchell if Bijan wins the award for the best RB in the country? no. but you think Cedric Baxter doesn't give a fuck about it?

GIF by World Rugby

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RichUT said:

One of the hottest takes I've ever seen on this board, and I try not to venture to the football board...

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

are you saying that RB recruits don't care if a RB on the teams wins the award for the best Running Back in the country?

horseshit.

you think that they don't care that it shows that the system is RB friendly, rewards RBs and those RBs go out and win awards?

lol ok.

does it matter to Sydir MItchell if Bijan wins the award for the best RB in the country? no. but you think Cedric Baxter doesn't give a fuck about it?

GIF by World Rugby

That's exactly what I'm saying and frankly it doesn't seem too hard to comprehend. Baxter absolutely cares about the system, how we utilize our backs, how we develop our RB room, and how successful we are as a program. And Bijan's year provided validation for all of those things already, so him finishing 2nd or 3rd for the Doak Walker award isn't going to do any harm to our RB recruiting whatsoever. 

If trophies actually mattered in the decision making progress, you'd see recruits waiting to commit until after they are awarded.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, RichUT said:

That's exactly what I'm saying and frankly it doesn't seem too hard to comprehend. Baxter absolutely cares about the system, how we utilize our backs, how we develop our RB room, and how successful we are as a program. And Bijan's year provided validation for all of those things already, so him finishing 2nd or 3rd for the Doak Walker award isn't going to do any harm to our RB recruiting whatsoever. 

If trophies actually mattered in the decision making progress, you'd see recruits waiting to commit until after they are awarded.

This is correct. It's MAYBE a nice little thing to retweet about. But they don't really care as long as they're in the convo for first one drafted at their position.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RichUT said:

You do realize a simple way of telling a recruit how we utilize our backs and how we develop our RB room is to point at all the awards our players get?

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Doak Walker Award Ceremony - December 8th
Heisman Ceremony - December 10th
Early Signing Day - December 21st

Hmm GIFs | Tenor

And before you argue that you said commit versus signing, certainly you don't want to argue that the only commitment that really matters ISN'T they day they sign, do you?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, RichUT said:

One of the hottest takes I've ever seen on this board, and I try not to venture to the football board...

16 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Look at Lincoln Riley and his run of Heisman Trophy QB's. The trophies do matter, and they mean that all of those other things have occurred. Without the hardware, you don't get the Caleb Williams' of the world in every damn class. 

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Ya that’s total busllhit, fuck this stupid god damn conference. Banks also wasn’t freshman of the year

We are going to have to absolutely kick the doors off the hinges to get into the CCG next year with all of this petulant bullshit. Fuck these cow town pussy rubbing spurned stepchildren. 

Edited by Vertigo

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Look at Lincoln Riley and his run of Heisman Trophy QB's. The trophies do matter, and they mean that all of those other things have occurred. Without the hardware, you don't get the Caleb Williams' of the world in every damn class. 

To be fair, the OP said the only award that DID matter was the Heisman. Also, a chunk of Riley's Heisman winning QBs were transfers...because he wasn't getting Caleb Williams' in every class...

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Max Duggan is Big 12 OPoY over Bijan.

Felix Anudike-Uzomah is Big 12 DPoY over Jaylan Ford.

This is exactly the kind of bullshit I'm talking about. Neither of them will sniff an All-America selection but that doesn't matter to the coaches. They just didn't want any Texas players getting awards.

Duggan won't even be an honorable mention and both Bijan and Hutchison are potential 1st team.

Uzomah isn't even the best DE in the conference.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, RichUT said:

in general i think we are saying close to the same thing ish. does someone say "Bijan winning the Doak Walker Award is why I am going to Texas"? no. but does that open the door on guys nationally who may not be interested enough to attend/look? potentially. it can't hurt anything to have a major award winner.

also, i think that being award finalists and winners is part of that validation. it lets you say "see, the country recognized that this guy had a great year" and gives you something to put in the trophy cabinet. as good as Achane was this last year, Bijan had a higher YPC, more carries and would have had WAY more if RoJo didn't exist. side note, if Bijan wins Texas will have the most Doak Walker award winners in the history of the award.

him finishing 2nd or 3rd isn't going to hurt recruiting, it but him being an finalist or winner absolutely can't do anything but help overall.

also NSD1 is after all award ceremonies I thought, including the Heisman for what that's worth.

NSD >>> Commitment date.

do you think it hurts to have something like this to show kids on visits?

Bama+RL-11.jpg

0831_aus_ut_hall_fame3

Edited by NoName

39 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Doak Walker Award Ceremony - December 8th
Heisman Ceremony - December 10th
Early Signing Day - December 21st

Hmm GIFs | Tenor

And before you argue that you said commit versus signing, certainly you don't want to argue that the only commitment that really matters ISN'T they day they sign, do you?

Correlation does not equal causation. Yes, awards are doled out before signing day. That doesn't mean those awards have a direct impact on where players sign. I've been following recruiting since the hookem360 days, and I am struggling to think of a single instance where a player winning/not winning a post season award had a material impact on a recruit's decision. I know you've been following just as long, so keep me honest if there is someone I am forgetting.

And I'm not saying that these things aren't at all helpful, but they are in no way the basis for a decision. I'd argue that winning them has more of a halo effect on the out year classes vs. the in year class, but the debate raging in this thread was about Baxter and I refuse to believe it's going to make a shit bit of difference in what he decides. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Correlation does not equal causation. Yes, awards are doled out before signing day. That doesn't mean those awards have a direct impact on where players sign. I've been following recruiting since the hookem360 days, and I am struggling to think of a single instance where a player winning/not winning a post season award had a material impact on a recruit's decision. I know you've been following just as long, so keep me honest if there is someone I am forgetting.

And I'm not saying that these things aren't at all helpful, but they are in no way the basis for a decision. I'd argue that winning them has more of a halo effect on the out year classes vs. the in year class, but the debate raging in this thread was about Baxter and I refuse to believe it's going to make a shit bit of difference in what he decides. 

No, correlation doesn't equal causation. But you also can't correlate shit in defense of your stance, either. And you're pretty definitive that awards don't mean shit. And I'm pretty definitive that you can't know the minds of any recruit, and every recruit is different. In general having recent awards you can point to by position shows guys are getting developed and being successful. As another poster said, it's pretty easy to point to a trophy room. Ask aTm how it looks when it's empty. 

You say you can't think of a single instance of a trophy mattering...but how the fuck would you know what mattered and support that? It's not that your take is absurd, or without merit, it's just very odd. More trophies is better than less trophies, I think we can all agree on that. The fact anyone is drawing lines in the sand is just a weird choice on this topic, at least from my point of view. 

• Hook 'Em 5

40 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Max Duggan is Big 12 OPoY over Bijan.

Felix Anudike-Uzomah is Big 12 DPoY over Jaylan Ford.

This is exactly the kind of bullshit I'm talking about. Neither of them will sniff an All-America selection but that doesn't matter to the coaches. They just didn't want any Texas players getting awards.

image.png

LOL.

Ford & Banks were absolutely robbed. Bijan as well but at least you can say Duggan had a year worth mentioning & his team is in the CFP. Alphabet soup & Reese were about as deserving of those awards as my 5 y/o daughter.

What a joke.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yup. That's all horseshit.

That K-State kid is the definition of "solid college player"

Yeah.  The defensive process should have looked like:

Best DL = Tyree Wilson

Best LB = Jaylon Ford

Best DB = Josh Newton

Argue over which one of those.

---

Duggan is at least the best QB, but the best WR and RB are in the discussion for best nationally.

• Like 1

This Doak discussion is a waste of energy. Mind control requires hitting the brain with many many signals to cause a person to think something. The Doak award is one of many signals to an RB to commit to Texas. It’s not super important or unimportant, it is a data point for any RB recruit. 

• Hook 'Em 1