Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Ya that’s total busllhit, fuck this stupid god damn conference. Banks also wasn’t freshman of the year

The Big 12 been shafting us with end-of-year awards long before we thought of leaving. In 2005 Michael Huff won the Thorpe Award and was a unanimous All-American. Big 12 DPoY went to some random LB from fucking Kansas. They've never given us our due.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Speaking of awards' relevance for recruiting:

I'd flip Worthy and Barron, but altogether not bad.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Max Duggan is Big 12 OPoY over Bijan.

Felix Anudike-Uzomah is Big 12 DPoY over Jaylan Ford.

This is exactly the kind of bullshit I'm talking about. Neither of them will sniff an All-America selection but that doesn't matter to the coaches. They just didn't want any Texas players getting awards.

image.png

Seeing as this was voted by the coaches, when will we see the All-Big 12 honors from the media?

• Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No, correlation doesn't equal causation. But you also can't correlate shit in defense of your stance, either. And you're pretty definitive that awards don't mean shit. And I'm pretty definitive that you can't know the minds of any recruit, and every recruit is different. In general having recent awards you can point to by position shows guys are getting developed and being successful. As another poster said, it's pretty easy to point to a trophy room. Ask aTm how it looks when it's empty. 

You say you can't think of a single instance of a trophy mattering...but how the fuck would you know what mattered and support that? It's not that your take is absurd, or without merit, it's just very odd. More trophies is better than less trophies, I think we can all agree on that. The fact anyone is drawing lines in the sand is just a weird choice on this topic, at least from my point of view. 

I don't know this topic deserves additional discourse, but that's an over simplification of my thesis. I'm not saying that awards don't matter at all, but I do reject the inference that Bijan losing out on the Doak introduces any risk to our ability to sign Baxter. Maybe I mis-read the thrust of the debate as I was skimming through the replies, but I think the idea is absurd. 

5 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Not to pick on your in particular, but I feel like this board has been down on Burrell for this recruiting cycle. Any reasoning? Potential to decommit, unimpressive tape, position?

Nah Burrell is great. Just not someone expected to contribute day one like Lefau and doesn't have the same projected first round ceiling as Hill. Causes him to get spoken about less. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Nah Burrell is great. Just not someone expected to contribute day one like Lefau and doesn't have the same projected first round ceiling as Hill. Causes him to get spoken about less. 

Burrell is a guy I could see being an early contributor. He is really good, and he is a leader. Ford, Burrell, Hill(potential), Lefau is a salty group.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah.  The defensive process should have looked like:
Best DL = Tyree Wilson
Best LB = Jaylon Ford
Best DB = Josh Newton
Argue over which one of those.
---
Duggan is at least the best QB, but the best WR and RB are in the discussion for best nationally.

Yeah, I think Tyree Wilson has a pretty strong case for DPOY. I think his season ending early due to injury cost him there and I wouldn’t argue too much with him winning it over Ford. This KSU guy is pretty inexplicable.

55 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Burrell is a guy I could see being an early contributor. He is really good, and he is a leader. Ford, Burrell, Hill(potential), Lefau is a salty group.

Burrell isn't an EE anymore, so he'll probably take a redshirt unless he is able to show value on special teams

6 hours ago, RichUT said:

I don't know this topic deserves additional discourse, but that's an over simplification of my thesis. I'm not saying that awards don't matter at all, but I do reject the inference that Bijan losing out on the Doak introduces any risk to our ability to sign Baxter. Maybe I mis-read the thrust of the debate as I was skimming through the replies, but I think the idea is absurd. 

What were you saying? I couldn’t hear you because I had two Heismans in my ear…

38586264-D3AB-4042-9D74-603D4BDEA404.thumb.jpeg.0474d6eec83cf437efb53fdeb2ed50e9.jpeg

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Hornin' In said:

Y'all need to get over this. UT & OU gave the Big12 the big *#&# you! Don't expect awards, accolades, or breaks on a game call until we see the SEC. Even then, it will be iffy at best. You can't call someone ugly then expect them to love & respect you.

It's not unexpected. Still ok to point it out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hornin' In said:

Y'all need to get over this. UT & OU gave the Big12 the big *#&# you! Don't expect awards, accolades, or breaks on a game call until we see the SEC. Even then, it will be iffy at best. You can't call someone ugly then expect them to love & respect you.

Agree to a point except that TX and OU made a business decision that improves their schools' stock; the Big 12 is just acting like a petty bitch, ex-girlfriend.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hornin' In said:

2015 vs Ok State says hold my beer

Fuck this conference

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Junior Bonner said:

Jaylan Ford didn’t call anybody ugly. He played his ass off and earned that award. He got screwed, not UT. And it’s okay to point out the injustice done to that kid. 

Yep - these are the actions of a petty, dying conference trying desperately to propel it's sole team into prominence by hook or by crook. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, satyanash said:

Player A: 27 tackles (19 solo, 8 ast), 7.5 TFLs, 5 sacks

Player B: 41 tackles (17 solo, 24 ast), 9.0 TFLs, 5.5 sacks, 1 FF

Player A is Okie Lite DE Collin Oliver, who was named 2nd-team All-Big 12. Player B is Barryn Sorrell, who was left off the list. Fuck. This. Conference.

Player C : 39 tackles (26 solo, 13 ast), 10 TFL, 7.5 sacks, 2 FF

Player C is the newly crowned defensive player of the year despite having a worse statistical year in literally every single category than he did in 2021 & having almost identical numbers as someone who only received honorable mention. Is there something we're missing? Was alphabet soup triple teamed on every play & constantly run away from or did he just receive a lifetime achievement award? Same for the DL form WVU who got 1st team - Stills. What a joke.

Edited by hook me
  • Hook 'Em 3