Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The Doak Walker Award is given out of Dallas, TX, not out of Chicago, IL, Detroit, MI, or Toledo, OH.

THAT is why Bijan just may win it over Corum. Go back and look at how many Doak Walker winners have come from the states of Texas and Oklahoma. 

If he doesn’t win it, then blame Sark, because geography is in his favor. 

Humor Boomer GIF

23 hours ago, TexasEx said:

He’s locked in. Sounds like Choate the goat smoothed things over to the extent they needed to be. 

Choate has been money!!!! From Fords progression to Locking up Burrell to giving us a chance at the Ant man, Choate is definitely the MVC (most valuable coach) this season with Choice and Flood coming up 2nd and 3rd 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Humor Boomer GIF

Except it kind of is.

Remember when Sean Taylor was the best defensive back in CFB in 2003, but was snubbed for the Jim Thorpe Award in favour of blOU's Derrick Strait?

Guess who gives out the Thorpe Award. The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame, a group within the Jim Thorpe Association based out of Oklahoma City.

The NFL scouts weren't fooled, of course. Sean Taylor was drafted with the No. 5 pick in the 1st round. Strait wasn't picked until the 3rd round and fell out of the NFL after a few years.

• Hook 'Em 6

(Gerry Hamilton) Sunday recruiting thoughts: Huge week ahead

The Texas Longhorns staff has two huge weeks ahead of them with December Madness upon the college football recruiting world. While Monday promises to be one of the more wild days in football recruiting and college football in a long time, the Texas staff also has in home visits and two key official visit weekends ahead. Steve Sarkisian and staff made in homes with Cedric Baxter Jr. and Payton Kirkland Saturday, and have more scheduled today.

One “must get” recruit

The recruitment of On3 Consensus 5-star Anthony Hill falls into this category for me. Not as much because Hill is a really solid linebacker prospect at a position of need. This recruitment is the opportunity for a huge win, and a significant perception victory. Steve Sarkisian and staff are all in to get Hill to Austin. And the likely reality is Hill would end up back at Texas A&M if not Texas. And the last visit weekend could be impactful with both Texas and Texas A&M possibilities to have Hill and family on campus for one day each.

Five biggest recruiting wins possible down the stretch

When looking at Anthony Hill as the “must get” recruit, it makes one take a look at the recruits on the board that would be most impactful. And impactful is smashing wins in the perception world of recruiting. Along with Hill, there are four others that would be huge perception victories while also being positions of need.

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Texas flipping the Notre Dame verbal, and keeping one of the top prospects at home would be very impactful. Texas needs to win very close to home, and ending up signing the top two prospects from Westlake High that flipped from Oklahoma and Notre Dame would be a strong signal of the trajectory of the program. Greathouse is chock-full of winners DNA.

Duce Robinson, TE, Phoenix (Az.) Pinnacle

Texas beating out USC and Georgia for the nations top tight end prospect would be wildly impactful from a national perception. That’s all that needs to be said.

Roderick Pierce, DL, Oak Lawn (Il.) Brother Rice

This one wouldn’t make national headlines due to Pierce being an undervalued senior riser. But Texas offering the 6-foot-2.5, 293-pounder with a 79-inch wingspan on November 4, getting the last weekend visit and beating out CFB Playoff bound Michigan on a prospect out of Chicago would be extremely impressive. Everyone go ahead and list all the football prospects from Chicago that have signed with Texas over Michigan or Ohio State when both programs are up.

Ja’Kobi Lane, WR, Mesa (Az.)

There is something about USC vs. Texas recruiting battles that is fun. Fun for the fans and guys covering recruiting, but very competitive for Sarkisian. Lane is absolutely a position of need, but don’t think for a second Sarkisian would relish flipping a USC skill commitment. And yes, a flip of Lane would make national headlines.

Tyler Scott, CB, Mableton (Ga.) Pebblebrook

The 6-foot-2 senior riser makes the list because he’s considered a virtual lock to stay in the current SEC, and sign with Tennessee, Alabama or Auburn. Should Tashard Choice go into the Atlanta area, and win out for a coveted SEC region cornerback, that would be eye opening. Scott will officially visit USC December 10 and Texas December 17. Choice and Terry Joseph are scheduled to make an in home today.

The portal is OOC

Monday promises to be one of the most wild days in recent memory in college football. My use of OOC is that of urban dictionary. This is truly out of control. Nothing has changed with my thoughts and intel on Texas and the portal. Save RB, OL, TE and QB; every position is on the table for the Longhorns. And every position on the table is a need position.

Offensive line is not a position of need, but I expect to hear a name in the portal Monday or Tuesday that intends to reach out to Texas. I do not expect any movement from Texas on the offensive line, as of today.

There are three names I’m watching for in the next few days that could be very impactful for the Texas team next season. I’m not saying all three will hop in Monday, but the next few days they are certainly possible. But here is the thing with the portal, it can change in the blink of an eye. That is the NIL world we exist in.

Positions of need in order of importance for me are safety, EDGE, wide receiver, cornerback, linebacker, punter and interior defensive line. Time for whatever hyperbole you guys want to use. I will make a suggestion … stay seated and keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle!

• Hook 'Em 9

Spoiler

The Texas Longhorns staff has two huge weeks ahead of them with December Madness upon the college football recruiting world.

While Monday promises to be one of the more wild days in football recruiting and college football in a long time, the Texas staff also has in home visits and two key official visit weekends ahead.

Steve Sarkisian and staff made in homes with Cedric Baxter Jr. and Payton Kirkland Saturday, and have more scheduled today.

One “must get” recruit

The recruitment of On3 Consensus 5-star Anthony Hill falls into this category for me. Not as much because Hill is a really solid linebacker prospect at a position of need. This recruitment is the opportunity for a huge win, and a significant perception victory. Steve Sarkisian and staff are all in to get Hill to Austin. And the likely reality is Hill would end up back at Texas A&M if not Texas. And the last visit weekend could be impactful with both Texas and Texas A&M possibilities to have Hill and family on campus for one day each.

Five biggest recruiting wins possible down the stretch

When looking at Anthony Hill as the “must get” recruit, it makes one take a look at the recruits on the board that would be most impactful. And impactful is smashing wins in the perception world of recruiting. Along with Hill, there are four others that would be huge perception victories while also being positions of need.

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Texas flipping the Notre Dame verbal, and keeping one of the top prospects at home would be very impactful. Texas needs to win very close to home, and ending up signing the top two prospects from Westlake High that flipped from Oklahoma and Notre Dame would be a strong signal of the trajectory of the program. Greathouse is chock-full of winners DNA.

Duce Robinson, TE, Phoenix (Az.) Pinnacle

Texas beating out USC and Georgia for the nations top tight end prospect would be wildly impactful from a national perception. That’s all that needs to be said.

Roderick Pierce, DL, Oak Lawn (Il.) Brother Rice

This one wouldn’t make national headlines due to Pierce being an undervalued senior riser. But Texas offering the 6-foot-2.5, 293-pounder with a 79-inch wingspan on November 4, getting the last weekend visit and beating out CFB Playoff bound Michigan on a prospect out of Chicago would be extremely impressive. Everyone go ahead and list all the football prospects from Chicago that have signed with Texas over Michigan or Ohio State when both programs are up.

Ja’Kobi Lane, WR, Mesa (Az.)

There is something about USC vs. Texas recruiting battles that is fun. Fun for the fans and guys covering recruiting, but very competitive for Sarkisian. Lane is absolutely a position of need, but don’t think for a second Sarkisian would relish flipping a USC skill commitment. And yes, a flip of Lane would make national headlines.

Tyler Scott, CB, Mableton (Ga.) Pebblebrook

The 6-foot-2 senior riser makes the list because he’s considered a virtual lock to stay in the current SEC, and sign with Tennessee, Alabama or Auburn. Should Tashard Choice go into the Atlanta area, and win out for a coveted SEC region cornerback, that would be eye opening. Scott will officially visit USC December 10 and Texas December 17. Choice and Terry Joseph are scheduled to make an in home today.

The portal is OOC

Monday promises to be one of the most wild days in recent memory in college football. My use of OOC is that of urban dictionary. This is truly out of control.

Nothing has changed with my thoughts and intel on Texas and the portal. Save RB, OL, TE and QB; every position is on the table for the Longhorns. And every position on the table is a need position.

Offensive line is not a position of need, but I expect to hear a name in the portal Monday or Tuesday that intends to reach out to Texas. I do not expect any movement from Texas on the offensive line, as of today.

There are three names I’m watching for in the next few days that could be very impactful for the Texas team next season. I’m not saying all three will hop in Monday, but the next few days they are certainly possible. But here is the thing with the portal, it can change in the blink of an eye. That is the NIL world we exist in.

Positions of need in order of importance for me are safety, EDGE, wide receiver, cornerback, linebacker, punter and interior defensive line.

Time for whatever hyperbole you guys want to use. I will make a suggestion … stay seated and keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle!

11 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Positions of need in order of importance for me are safety, EDGE, wide receiver, cornerback, linebacker, punter and interior defensive line. Time for whatever hyperbole you guys want to use. I will make a suggestion … stay seated and keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle!

We are losing a lot of guys on defense, but it is still interesting to me that we are looking there instead of on offense. Our offense towards the second half of the season wasn't good. We couldn't throw for jack and we couldn't impose our will on teams. Interior OL needs to improve, depth on the OL is still a question, and wr still needs to improve a ton as does QB. It is obvious why we won't do anything at QB. OL may fall into a similar category because we don't want to lose any of the freshmen. Still, we need to do something to improve production.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

We are losing a lot of guys on defense, but it is still interesting to me that we are looking there instead of on offense. Our offense towards the second half of the season wasn't good. We couldn't throw for jack and we couldn't impose our will on teams. Interior OL needs to improve, depth on the OL is still a question, and wr still needs to improve a ton as does QB. It is obvious why we won't do anything at QB. OL may fall into a similar category because we don't want to lose any of the freshmen. Still, we need to do something to improve production.

Outside of WR, a lot of the offensive issues/potential issues center around talented but inexperienced players trying to find their footing. Jimmy and Joes are in place for the most part or in the developmental oven.

A lot of the defensive issues/potential issues are lack of depth and talent in several spots with no immediate help waiting in the wings. Which is why they are likely to focus more attention there.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Outside of WR, a lot of the offensive issues/potential issues center around talented but inexperienced players trying to find their footing. Jimmy and Joes are in place for the most part or in the developmental oven.

A lot of the defensive issues/potential issues are lack of depth and talent in several spots with no immediate help waiting in the wings. Which is why they are likely to focus more attention there.

That may all be true, but if we want a better record, the offense needs improvement.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Depending on the portal additions, most of the people we are losing on defense can easily be replaced, especially since Sweat is coming back.

17 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The Doak Walker Award is given out of Dallas, TX, not out of Chicago, IL, Detroit, MI, or Toledo, OH.

THAT is why Bijan just may win it over Corum. Go back and look at how many Doak Walker winners have come from the states of Texas and Oklahoma. 

If he doesn’t win it, then blame Sark, because geography is in his favor. 

Well he deserves it, regardless. More yards, same tds, yards from scrimmage, receiving yards, etc. If he doesn't win it it's because of Sark and he got the shaft. 

39 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

One thing I noticed when watching the UGA/LSU game is Monken puts his players in a better position to succeed. He has a better game plan, and that's with a former walk-on as a qb. I'm not talking the running game, but the passing game. 

22 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

A 25 year old walk-on who has been in college since 2017.

20 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Holy fuck. He's fucking 25? How is this possible? How many degrees is this dude trying to get?

UGA's QB1 Stenson Bennett transferred from different colleges multiple times.

I don't think he's special or anything. He's just solid dependable experienced starting QB. I expect UGA's offense to really take off if they ever have a legit star QB.

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I don't think he's special or anything. He's just solid dependable experienced starting QB. I expect UGA's offense to really take off if they ever have a legit star QB.

They have former 5* Brock Vandergriff, so I expect him to start next season. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Not even Kirby thinks that. He even said it in the post game interview of the SEC CG...just that he is athletic and runs the system very well. It's the reason everyone last year kept asking for JT Daniels because of the arm. But clearly the system guy is better for the team. Now find the best of both worlds, and UGA will be extremely scary