Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I love rubbing my pussy as much as the next guy, but Baxter has repeatedly reaffirmed his commitment when given every opportunity to waver. Doesn't seem like there's anything serious there to worry about at all.

FSU DID have an in-home with him this week, but it didn't feel like there was any whiff of smoke or anything after and it wasn't even posted in here at all 

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

— North Crowley tight end Ka'Morreun Pimpton decided late in the week to take a visit to Texas. The massive Top247 prospect has been committed to Vanderbilt since the summer. Pimpton visited LSU last week, but there hasn't been a ton of buzz on the Tigers for him. Texas has a chance, but his commitment to Vanderbilt is incredibly solid at the moment. The Commodores have been able to do a good job solidifying that relationship and presenting the academic opportunities available to him.

Visits LSU and Texas on consecutive weekends, but his commitment to Vanderbilt is incredibly solid.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

For OL, they wanted the raw materials that needed development. They got that. The OL guys know they’re several years from starting and need the work in the program. They have enough guys ahead of them that think they should be starting or are starting. 

There is some serious action coming from the portal at WR and DB in terms of starting power, if you want to believe that kind of thing. 

It's even better that most of them are EEs. I'm loving the number of EEs overall in this class actually. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

All I know is whichever assistant isn't cutting it this board needs to go full Jeff Choate on him because he went from a villain to Jesus in a 1 year. 

I'm giving Surly credit for this turnaround. 

Blake Gideon to the red courtesy phone, Mr Gideon, please report to the courtesy phone..

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We were told 6 months ago that the staff would have to recruit Williams, Muhammad and Baxter like they were uncommitted and there might be some bumpy rides and it looks like we are going to hold onto all 3 with very little turbulence. Just an outstanding job all around by the staff.

Did Williams ever back off of his comments earlier about taking visits and being an NSD2 guy? He is no longer an EE correct?

58 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Texas — Texas commit Payton Kirkland will also be in on his official visit. he's the last commit in the class to take one. Transfer defensive back Gavin Holmes is supposed to be in as well but the staff is still working out the details. There is some thought that a strong visit this weekend could close the deal for Texas.

Just noticed he's from the Dr Phillips area of Orlando.

If I remember right, it's the upper middle class/wealthy section of East Orlando.

20 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Just noticed he's from the Dr Phillips area of Orlando.

If I remember right, it's the upper middle class/wealthy section of East Orlando.

Not too many cities/town in the Northern Hemisphere where the wealthy are found in the Eastern part.

That's because in the Northern Hemisphere, the wind blows from west to east, often taking airborne pollution with it. That's why the East side is usually a poorer part of a city/town.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 1

Greg Biggins (247)

"Moore is expected on campus this weekend and this is mainly a two team race between Louisville and Texas. It's interesting he's taking an unofficial to UT rather than an official to Louisville with his teammates this weekend. Right now, this is a really tight one, too close to call."

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Getafix said:

Greg Biggins (247)

"Moore is expected on campus this weekend and this is mainly a two team race between Louisville and Texas. It's interesting he's taking an unofficial to UT rather than an official to Louisville with his teammates this weekend. Right now, this is a really tight one, too close to call."

"On the last possible weekend he's taking an unofficial to School A when he could be taking an offical to School B. Anyway, too close to call."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

TCU 247 mod (who is pretty plugged in) said he doesn't think TCU has room for McDonald anymore and he thinks he ends up back at Oklahoma State

Is TCU that loaded, especially in an era when the numbers can be so easily manipulated, that they can pass on this kid? 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

18 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Not too many cities/town in the Northern Hemisphere where the wealthy are found in the Eastern part.

That's because in the Northern Hemisphere, the wind blows from west to east, often taking airborne pollution with it. That's why the East side is usually a poorer part of a city/town.

Sorry, I get my east & west mixed up all the time.
Dr Phillips is on the left side of Orlando on the map.

So, the West side.  derp!

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"On the last possible weekend he's taking an unofficial to School A when he could be taking an offical to School B. Anyway, too close to call."

Your point could stand regardless, but FYI, he already took his official to Louisville (in June ... ).

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

What's the deal with Akana? 

I know he's ranked high in the recruiting rankings but I've seen it mentioned several times that people think he's a jag. 

Old for his age (I think he’ll be 19 or 20 by the time he gets on campus) and Gerry has mentioned a few times that he doesn’t have the ideal length you look for in an edge rusher. There has also been talk that OU is recruiting him as an off ball LB and not an edge player which is interesting.

His ranking is inflated by 247 having him 36th overall. All the other services have him in the 100’s or 200’s. 

I won’t be upset at all if he ends up in the class but he’s not a slam dunk and will need to add quite a bit of weight to hold up in college.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I know he's ranked high in the recruiting rankings but I've seen it mentioned several times that people think he's a jag. 

I've not seem him referenced as a jag on this board, but it seems like the consensus is he has a higher floor, lower ceiling, with a frame that won't allow for a ton of growth.

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He shorter and lighter than listed.  I think he'd make a decent OLB, but hard for him to play with his hand on the ground.

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I buy it. The rumor came from Jeremy Clark, basically their amalgamation of Looch/Hamm. Kind of dirty to do that a letterman's kid who is a legitimate recruit. 

You buy it because the information is coming from the TCU version of two of the biggest frauds in the CFB reporting business?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

He shorter and lighter than listed.  I think he'd make a decent OLB, but hard for him to play with his hand on the ground.

Now I'm nostalgic for the good old days when your coach would add 2 inches and 20 lbs to your maxpreps profile. Only time in my life I was over 6'. It's one tradition that persists I guess.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

For them to take Jamel Johnson, a DB playing DE for his HS, instead of this guy has me questioning their roster management. But them passing on him does raise an eyebrow.

Word is they're splitting the difference and starting him off as a LB