Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

4 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

It doesn't matter how fucking fast a guy is if he doesn't catch the ball.  Also as I recall LJH had shitty times too and everyone bitched about how slow he would be.  Until he started catching every fucking ball in his zip code.

LJH also juked some guys and plowed other guys like he was a farmer...

...operating a plow. (?)

LJH was fun as shit to watch. He wouldn't have been as entertaining after the catch if he had been too fast to catch. Being slower allowed him to show his other skills.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Any tall WRs on the radar?

Think there was a group of WRs for the Miami Dolphins nicknamed "The Smurfs" -- they were pretty good. 

If Neyor isn't ready to go or another taller WR isn't added, expect Sark to use a ton more motion in 2023 to help free up his smaller sized group of WRs.

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Think there was a group of WRs for the Miami Dolphins nicknamed "The Smurfs" -- they were pretty good. 

If Neyor isn't ready to go or another taller WR isn't added, expect Sark to use a ton more motion in 2023 to help free up his smaller sized group of WRs.

It is interesting that Sark often makes note of how important it is to have tall DB's and why he loves having Ryan Watts on the field playing that position. On the WR side, he seems content loading the roster with speedy guys that aren't taller than 6'0". As long as they can catch and adjust to the ball, height isn't that important I suppose, but it would sure be nice to have someone else with Neyor's build and speed on the roster. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Early 80's Redskins had the Smurfs.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Mark Clayton and Mark Duper were The Marks Brothers for the Dolphins.

As a Pats fan I hated the Marks Brothers but they were really good with Marino throwing to them.

I don’t think having a bunch of small receivers will matter much since we have at least Sanders as the big TE target to go with all those WR’s.  I mean, if we had a roster of all Tyreek Hill’s at WR we would be pretty dangerous, both on and off the field.  

• Haha 1

Scholarships?   Does that even matter?  Does Ewers really need a scholly?  Can't he walk-on?  Same for Arch.  Can these high-NIL guys pay their own way to make room for supporting cast?   

As I understand it, if they are heavily recruited (there’s probably a more specific term) then they count against the limit regardless. Like Ricky and others who had Pro Baseball contracts, and weren’t technically “on scholarship” they still count against the number.

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Think there was a group of WRs for the Miami Dolphins  nicknamed "The Smurfs" -- they were pretty good. 

Washington Redskins

https://www.commanders.com/news/redskins-legacy-the-smurfs-vs-the-lions-11271635

NOTE: The Miami Dolphins had “The Marks Brothers”.

For Duper and Clayton, affectionately called “The Marks Brothers,” terrorized opposing defensive backfields. They helped the Dolphins become one of the better teams in the AFC once they got together.

https://nflspinzone.com/2019/07/17/30-greatest-duos-in-nfl-history/amp/16/

Edited by Napoleon

9 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

As I understand it, if they are heavily recruited (there’s probably a more specific term) then they count against the limit regardless. Like Ricky and others who had Pro Baseball contracts, and weren’t technically “on scholarship” they still count against the number.

You are either on scholarship or you aren’t. If you are, you count against the number. The number is 85. The number is 105 for scholarship players plus preferred walk-ons (players on  the actual roster).

Rich guys don’t just show up for free because having a scholarship is a way of marking who you are and not self-identifying as a schmuck. As the patron saint of this board said: “If you’re good at something, never do it for free. “ 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You are either on scholarship or you aren’t. If you are, you count against the number. The number is 85. The number is 105 for scholarship players plus preferred walk-ons (players on  the actual roster).

Rich guys don’t just show up for free because having a scholarship is a way of marking who you are and not self-identifying as a schmuck. As the patron saint of this board said: “If you’re good at something, never do it for free. “ 

No no. If you’re rich but your madden rating is over 80 you still count as a scholarship. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Surly -

CB60DA0B-86EB-430D-B75D-51EFE10BBAF8.gif

The whole point in the quote and matching to the logic of rich kids taking a scholarship is that it isn’t, in fact, actually about the money. Yeah, you can enjoy something and you *would* do it for free, but if there’s a paying market for it, don’t. 

Put in an adjacent context with the same kind of sentiment: “I haven’t ‘needed the money’ since I stole Archie’s milk money in third grade. Tell you the truth, I don’t need pussy any more either, but I like it.”

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Da Fino said:

And the only freshman signed were Brenen Thompson and Red. They just signed three great receivers and are returning everyone from last year that contributed.

Even if you can guarantee Neyor will be back to 100%, which, who knows, we still need another guy. I don't think you want to depend that much on true freshmen and two guys who barely contributed this past year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

TCU commit, and senior riser offer Warren Roberson is still unsigned. Twitter follow science says sparky is getting involved.

https://www.on3.com/db/warren-roberson-146693/

Maybe he's too redundant to Derek Williams, but he looks like a take to me at a position of need. Would be a good late flip for Carrington.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The whole point in the quote and matching to the logic of rich kids taking a scholarship is that it isn’t, in fact, actually about the money. Yeah, you can enjoy something and you *would* do it for free, but if there’s a paying market for it, don’t. 

Put in an adjacent context with the same kind of sentiment: “I haven’t ‘needed the money’ since I stole Archie’s milk money in third grade. Tell you the truth, I don’t need pussy any more either, but I like it.”

Reading WAY too much into a light hearted jab at the Surly collective, sir.

36260BB9-B463-4924-A5EA-784ED2A1B000.jpeg

12 hours ago, Junior Bonner said:

JFC we just signed a top WR prospect and you people are clutching your pearls over his 100m time, Neyor’s injury, and the WR room in general. Can’t you surly bastards enjoy the fucking moment? 

For fuck’s sake. 

Stay away from the football board.

You're welcome.

• Haha 1

But hey, Moore is slow apparently

Weird that Moore is slow at 10.9 and Johntay is considered fast even though he has no verified times and his jumps aren't just outstanding....

And I'm not say Johntay is slow, he looks fast as heck on the field. Just weird that it hasn't been brought up.
  • Hook 'Em 1