Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

12 hours ago, kwood4408 said:

The only thing I gathered from the little bit I watched is that Miami has the ESPN 3rd ranked class and is the next great dynasty.

Baxter scored and looked smooth had like 35 years rushing on 7 attempts and the games first td. Cook had 4 catches I think.  Derek Williams had a pick, was tipped twice but he still went up high and got it (unlike some current players). MM was solid like Williams. Dk about anyone else but that’s what I gathered and….I didn’t watch the game. @Knewk210

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Baxter scored and looked smooth had like 35 years rushing on 7 attempts and the games first td. Cook had 4 catches I think.  Derek Williams had a pick, was tipped twice but he still went up high and got it (unlike some current players). MM was solid like Williams. Dk about anyone else but that’s what I gathered and….I didn’t watch the game. @Knewk210

35yrs rushing huh???

Texas Takeaways from the Under Armour All-America Game

Bobby Burton•  4 min ago

Untitled-design-2023-01-04T095033.585.pn

Sydir Mitchell

What I saw from the Texas Longhorns signees at the Under Armour All-America Game.

RB, Cedric Baxter, Orlando Edgewater
Started the game for his team. Scored the game’s first touchdown. Bigger back who is a one-cut and go inside or outside runner. Broke a couple of tackles and made some yards after contact. Totally different back than Bijan Robinson so don’t expect a carbon copy in that regard. Seemingly good vision though not enough reps to truly tell. He was as impressive as any RB in the game. Has a chance to be a truly big back with home run ability.

CB, Malik Muhammad, Dallas South Oak Cliff
Going into this game, I wondered whether Muhammad would keep up downfield with elite receivers. It’s a tough ask for corners forced solely into man coverage. Plus, I often worry about defensive backs who play on talented high school defenses because so often they get the benefit of a superior pass rush. But Muhammad eliminated all of those concerns for me yesterday. Very smooth. Long armed. Breaks on the ball well. Runs well enough. Plays smart. I don’t know that he’s a first-round corner but he’s a future starter for the Horns if he stays healthy and gains strength through normal conditioning.

S, Derek Williams, New Iberia (La.) Westgate
My first thought was this: he can’t be a safety because he’s too big to move well enough. But then he started playing. Hyper athletic for his size. Rangy. Willing tackler. Great feet. Made an INT on a twice-deflected pass. Changes directions well for someone his size. If Williams can handle the intricacies of playing in the secondary, he is a future all-conference or higher level of prospect. He looks very similar to DeMarvion Overshown coming out of high school. But Williams is a more natural safety who I think sees the field better than Overshown did at the position.

WR, Johntay Cook II, DeSoto
Frankly, we saw very little of Cook in the game. His team’s offense – even though they won the game – was reduced to quick outs and bubble screens in the passing game and featured USC-bound Zachariah Branch in that role. While I was encouraged by some of what I saw in practice clips from Cook, I just didn’t see much in the game. I’d have to give an incomplete grade.

DL, Sydir Mitchell, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic
He is enormous. Did not start for his team but rotated a lot. He anchored extremely well against the run, including double teams. He will immediately anchor the middle better than some existing Texas defensive tackles. Good effort when ball went away from him. Would have had a tackle for loss but let a running back run through an arm tackle. Not a smooth athlete but naturally strong and quick with really good effort. Future starter.

OU-bound quarterback Jackson Arnold was the game’s best quarterback. But he’s a better runner than thrower at this point. Reminds me a lot of Sam Ehlinger, clearly a leader and a guy who is willing to do whatever it takes to move the football.

However, I have to add this. That may have been the worst collection of QBs I’ve seen at a national level high school all-star game. They may turn out better than they looked on Tuesday afternoon, but a couple of them had the deer in the headlights look from snap one, and weren’t athletic or poised enough to do anything about it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Why the hell are they playing him at CB. No way he ever plays there in college 

There are worse things than an athletic tweener with a long development path practicing coverage.  Being able to keep a linebacker/box safety in to mitigate a good te or back isn't the worst thing.  He's still got a couple years to grow into his body and learn the position he'll ultimately play, likely off ball backer...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lets not forget that Gerry/On3 had McDaniel as a top 100 player in the country. So did 247. And he'll move up after this week, I wager. 

Good to know. Any idea where McDonald might be ranked? 

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

[cough, cough] Vernon Broughton [cough, cough]

Michael Richards Yes GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Are we being intentionally slow today? He called Jehlani McDonald, McDaniel earlier. Then he said "apple is weird" indicating his phone fucked up, and then later specified it was the auto-correct feature he was having trouble with. Am I taking crazy pills or what?

Jehlani?  Dafuq???

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I figured out what @SydneyCarton was trying to say long ago. Looking through the amalgamation of his thoughts and posts dating back to an ardent defense on Hornfans of Major Applewhite as an NFL talent due to what he called “the gritty factor”, I can draw a very simple conclusion:

Tales told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. 

Also, tons of lazy fat fingering and typos. 

dial GIF