Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

42 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Thoughts on Texas Longhorns at the All-American Bowl

Bobby Burton•  about 1 hour ago

Untitled-design-2022-09-07T112455.344.pn

S'Maje Burrell 

I spent yesterday watching the All-American Bowl paying particular attention to the Texas Longhorns signees.

Here are my thoughts:

Anthony Hill Jr., LB, Denton Ryan
You’re not supposed to be his age, be that big, and run that well. That’s why he’s at the all-star game in the first place. But he was not a dominant force on the field. No one was for the West team. They got blown out by the East. However, individually he made some nice plays, including getting into coverage and batting down a pass. But what I liked most is that he seemed to understand what he was supposed to do, where he was supposed to be, and he was plus-physical and fast. In my book, he will compete for immediate playing time, period. Too talented, and perhaps a smarter player for his age than given credit for.

S’Maje Burrell, LB, North Crowley
Come in as a late addition and don’t get to practice all week. And then, you lead your team in tackles. That’s what Burrell did. He’s sneaky athletic in the middle, but what I really liked is that he could keep an arm free and leverage while taking on blocks in the middle. That’s what made him a tackling machine in the game and it’s what makes most successful middle linebackers the same. You have to be able to fight through the trash and plug holes. He did that better than any linebacker on either side.

Ryan Niblett, WR, Aldine Eisenhower
My biggest question going into this game: is he a natural pass catcher? We saw him do so many things at Ike that whether or not he was an easy pass catcher was never really on display. I’m happy to say those concerns were more than alleviated. He’s also slippery after the catch and is a willing blocker. I was really excited with what I saw from the game even though it was a small sample size.

Jelani McDonald, ATH, Waco Connally
McDonald, a future linebacker, played cornerback during the game. He truly didn’t do much other than drop into coverage during the game. Yet he was physical when the ball came his way, either in the run or pass game. Eric wrote a nice piece about how he could fit at linebacker for the Horns that is worth your time. But I can’t help but think he might end up being a big nickel or even a safety. The possibilities with him are really endless to a degree. His pledge to Texas was a nice way to end the game.

Payton Kirkland, OL, Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips
Kirkland is a guard all the way. That’s not a bad thing. It’s just that folks thinking he might be a future tackle are just off. He can be a plus-player on the interior IMO. Very strong, can stay low and will move people when called upon. Kirkland was slightly better than I expected IMO. The fact that he was also named captain by his coaches and peers is another feather in his hat.

Tausili Akana, LB, Lehi (Utah) Skyridge
Akana looked fairly athletic but the question is what position will he play. Is he ever going to big enough to play on the edge or will he be natural enough to play off the ball? He’s the lone Longhorn signee that I came away with more questions than answers.

I interviewed Charles Power, the director of scouting and rankings for On3, for an episode of On Texas Football later this morning. Charles is the guy who has the final say on all rankings for On3.

He was at both the Under Armour and San Antonio games and practices. I asked him about each of the Longhorns. I think recruiting fans will find what he has to say interesting.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Nyckoles Harbor is an insane athletic freak.

I heard someone talking about him. Apparently track is very important to him and he wants to continue to compete in track in college. That is going to keep a cap on his weight and his potential, which is why he is likely to play on offense in college

12 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

Per the 247 top 250 list.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

The only unsigned are the ones below.
Only a couple are linked to TX in rumors.

• Cormani McClain CB 5* 
  • Nyckoles Harbor ATH 5* 
  • Duce Robinson TE 5* (everyone here except for Futureman thinks he's kind of a long shot)
  • Rodrick Pleasant CB 4*
  • Walker Lyons TE 4* (HS player of the year I heard?)
  • Raymond Cottrell WR 4*
  • Mikal Harrison-Pilot ATH 4* (linked to TX at times but... #numbers)
  • Jeremiah Cobb RB 4*
  • Shamar Easter TE 4*
  • Warren Roberson S 4*
  • Taeshaun Lyons WR 4* 
  • Zavion Hardy DL 4*

I'm just a fan reading the message boards.  So, I don't have any insider info.

Walker Lynn’s is going to Georgia after doing a 1 year mission. Some say it won’t affect Duce because he is effectively a 2024 recruit. I disagree. It should give Duce some pause and should help us in the recruitment. Georgia has a lot of TEs. We have a decent number as well. But one is coming in injured and isn’t physically dominating and the other will be playing more of a roll as a blocker than a receiver.

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I heard someone talking about him. Apparently track is very important to him and he wants to continue to compete in track in college. That is going to keep a cap on his weight and his potential, which is why he is likely to play on offense in college

Will he be practicing football in the spring? I think a guy who needs to develop who won’t be putting in the work is a pretty big question mark. He should probably focus on track and choose a school based on track. Football will hold him back.

Just now, Bevo said:

Will he be practicing football in the spring? I think a guy who needs to develop who won’t be putting in the work is a pretty big question mark. He should probably focus on track and choose a school based on track. Football will hold him back.

I don’t know. Nobody doubts his athleticism and potential,  but apparently there are big questions about his commitment to football

20 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Going out on a limb and saying the guy with the skinny frame playing CB in a high school all star game is not likely playing off the ball linebacker at Texas. I assume safety is the projection? 

IT is beating the linebacker drum pretty damn hard, but I agree. Pretty narrow framed kid. Looks like a safety. 

20 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I don’t know. Nobody doubts his athleticism and potential,  but apparently there are big questions about his commitment to football

That kid posted one of the best HS 200m times ever a year ago and his form wasn’t even that good during the run. He absolutely should not give up track.

Every school already knows this about him, if they’re still recruiting him, that means they’re fine with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, ousux said:

Question for long time recruiting junkies..how does the '23 class stack up against some of the early 2k's FUPM classes? Either now or projected Feb 2

I am definitely not a long time recruiting junkie but I swear I heard Jeff Howe say it was second highest for Texas since 247 started ranking.

I share Burton’s concern about Akana. He’s not big enough. In my opinion, with the 2023 class now signed, the biggest position of concern overall is eDGE, replacing LB. The 2023 LB recruiting was great. I know we have some high rated players at eDGE. I just don’t think any of them are near elite. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, jinx said:

I am definitely not a long time recruiting junkie but I swear I heard Jeff Howe say it was second highest for Texas since 247 started ranking.

Nah he was including transfers in that calculation. Not sure how much that moved the needle though.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dbeasy said:

I share Burton’s concern about Akana. He’s not big enough. In my opinion, with the 2023 class now signed, the biggest position of concern overall is eDGE, replacing LB. The 2023 LB recruiting was great. I know we have some high rated players at eDGE. I just don’t think any of them are near elite. 

It's "EdgE"

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

247's public database only shows data back to 2010.  Here are Texas numbers each year going back:

image.png.36453636d51cfb19fe60e082ac50a374.png

If you go to the commit list, you can select other years.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2023-Football/Commits/

Here is the #1 class in 2002:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2002-Football/Commits/

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Wow one of the first classes I truly followed. Good times. 

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It’s ok that Akana is too light right now.  He has the right frame and athleticism.  Do it right and he will be 240 with a chance to contribute in 2 years.  

Charles Power told Bobby Burton that Akana is closer to 190 right now. You want him to put on 50 lbs in 2 years?

5 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

247Sports didn't really exist at that point. For apples-to-apples comparisons pre-2010 you have to use Rivals or ESPN.

11 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Are we worried about a Hawaiin gaining weight?  I'll bet dollars to donuts either his dad or mama passed on the genes so that weight won't be an issue.    

The federal government has previously supported your position: https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2013/11/20/burden-diabetes-native-hawaiian-and-pacific-islander-community

15 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Are we worried about a Hawaiin gaining weight?  I'll bet dollars to donuts either his dad or mama passed on the genes so that weight won't be an issue.    

If we're being amateur anthropologists usually they are fully grown pretty early and this dude is like 20 already