Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

Per Gerry Hamilton, Davis gained about 50 lbs between his junior and senior seasons.

5 hours ago, Bamboozled73 said:

We need his high school nutritionist on our staff.  Vasek and Akana could use the 50lbs

5 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Vasek is already at 250.

Yeah, when I think of young defensive players on the roster who need to add weight, Vasek doesn't immediately come to mind even though he does need add to weight. Guys like Mo Blackwell, Trevell Johnson, Derrick Brown, & other DL/EDGE guys in the '22 class.

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I won't be surprised if it's dumb low IQ UT fans on Twitter that ruins this recruitment.

How do you mean? it was quite literally posted by all the UT 9.95ers, including the free ones like HornSports and SBNation. The picture is a post of the MS State board reacting to it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I won't be surprised if it's dumb low IQ UT fans on Twitter that ruins this recruitment.

15 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

How do you mean? it was quite literally posted by all the UT 9.95ers, including the free ones like HornSports and SBNation. The picture is a post of the MS State board reacting to it?

Sigh. You're probably right.

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Smalltown coach: "OK, big boy, put your hand on the ground and clog up the middle."

This fucker: "No."

Smalltown coach: "OK then, how would YOU like to play?"

That's the amazing thing about this kid. He doesn't seem like he really knows what he's doing yet. I think I caught a few (awkward) attempts at swim and spin moves on his HUDL. If we can get him on campus, teach him how to do that stuff correctly and appropriately, and otherwise develop him (and it's ALWAYS a huge "if"), he could turn into an absolute nightmare. 

There's a reason Saban had Bo Davis in charge of his DL for so many years

Edited by campcrunk

These highlights all look like he is a big kid playing on the freshman team in a private school league. 

Frequently the players look like they may even be a Junior High varsity team that was scheduled to fill out a schedule. 

I don’t recall seeing an opposing player who even looked like they may be 250 lbs. The average opposing offensive lineman looked about 190 lbs. Some looked 165 lbs while others looked 205 lbs, but it just didn’t look like he was even competing in the proper age group. 

A gray shirt and then a red shirt would be great, because he seems light years from knowing how to compete again people his size. But I hope that we sign him, because he has definite physical tools that point toward possibly being a productive player some day.

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

These highlights all look like he is a big kid playing on the freshman team in a private school league. 

Frequently the players look like they may even be a Junior High varsity team that was scheduled to fill out a schedule. 

I don’t recall seeing an opposing player who even looked like they may be 250 lbs. The average opposing offensive lineman looked about 190 lbs. Some looked 165 lbs while others looked 205 lbs, but it just didn’t look like he was even competing in the proper age group. 

A gray shirt and then a red shirt would be great, because he seems light years from knowing how to compete again people his size. But I hope that we sign him, because he has definite physical tools that point toward possibly being a productive player some day.

He is the quintessential low floor/high ceiling recruit. I dont really care about competition. That is generally over-rated. He has excellent size and he has good movement skills. If you just fix his pad level, he will be a rotational player (though I probably said that about Broughton 4 years ago @Burt Macklin). Fix his pad level and teach him to use his hands and he has potential to be a star. The biggest risk is probably academic though. That said it is great lottery ticket. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

In what way do you think DeWayne420057 reposting a high traffic blog article and a Mississippi State message board about a public offer is going to mess up this recruitment?

Especially since there is only one more weekend before the dead period, and Texas gets the visit. I guess MSU or Ole Miss could get him to not sign and visit after NSD #2, but I think Bo locks this down on Wednesday and the visit is just a formality. 

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Texas isn't gray shirting this dude. That's laughably stupid.

Edited by HtownHorn

28 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rivals final rankings are this week.  When does the final ESPN rankings come out?

EDIT:  Looks like final ESPN rankings just came out.  Arch dropped to #5.  McDonald went from 200's to #178.

Just proves that going to all star games and camps matter to these idiots doing the rankings.  Everybody knows that Arch would have excelled in that setting. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

i believe that if he actually visits, he can't gray shirt - right?

what are the rules around it? either way, he isn't going to gray shirt.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rivals final rankings are this week.  When does the final ESPN rankings come out?

EDIT:  Looks like final ESPN rankings just came out.  Arch dropped to #5.  McDonald went from 200's to #178.

Jonathan Davis is now a high four star.

(no he's not)

• Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, NoName said:

i believe that if he actually visits, he can't gray shirt - right?

what are the rules around it? either way, he isn't going to gray shirt.

A gray shirt can't play or practice, and isn't on scholarship. But in napolean's world this is the ideal scenario, to have him sit around Mississippi for 6 months doing nothing, and report to campus in Jan. 24.

You are likely thinking about a blue shirt, but with Bo Davis going to visit this week that is no longer an option. Blue shirt, allows the kid to practice and be on scholarship, they just don't count against the 85 until the next season. 

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

In the age of the portal, why the fuck are we even talking about colored shirts?  Kids are going to continue to be processed at unprecedented levels and numbers will never, ever be a concern for programs with even the slightest ability to manage a roster.  

Idk ask Aggy, they seem to be having a lot of trouble with numbers.

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I knew they'd all overthink Arch Manning for all of the reasons that are obvious. That doesn't mean it isn't stupid. I have a good friend that oversees some of this and I asked him about Arch and the rankings. His take was this:

"He's a phenom. Legtimately. Ignore everyone trying to be contrarian about him. The smart play is to bet on him being better than expected, not being outperformed by the windup guy from California or anyone else."

Is "the windup guy" Nico I. or Malachi Nelson? I assume Nico, but could be wrong.