Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Years ago there was an OL for a Louisiana directional school who was 6'11" 400 lbs. Don't remember the name, just the size because it was hilarious. Wonder if it's the same guy. 

Don’t ask me man; all 6’11”, 400 lb black men I see in person in New Orleans all look the same to me….

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

So did Mississippi State bother to scout this kid at all before Bo Davis offered him? He’s in their backyard, they had all year to show interest in him.

Feels like they saw the Texas offer and just reacted.

Why would you think it was anything else?  This kid would be all set to sign with Tim Beck if we hadn’t offered.  

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My oldest daughter went into the Teach For America program upon graduating from college. When she applied, she chose "place of highest need" rather than a specific city. She assumed they'd send her to inner city Chicago, LA, Houston, NYC, whatever. She'd get to see some shit or be home while she was doing her time in the program. 

Instead of the inner city, they sent her to a very small town in the Mississippi delta. She taught 3rd graders and all students in MS have to pass the reading portion of their state standardized tests in 3rd grade. The elementary school had one white kid in it and a few asians and hispanics. The private school down the road would accept white kids for as little as a $5 donation if they were needs based. That school was all white, as they hadn't found a price high enough yet in order for it to make sense to enroll a non-caucasian. 

Segregation is still alive and well in that state. It seemed to me that black folks were fucked for life in that place. She had multiple teenagers in her class each year because they couldn't pass the test. She got stabbed. She and her students saw one classmate's dad murder another classmate's dad in front of the school one day over a drug deal gone bad. There were fistfights in her class that she was forbidden from breaking up at least weekly. 

Point is, small-town Mississippi is a hell of a thing. Many of these kids are fucked from day one and they've got very little exposure to much beyond walking distance. An in-state offer seems like the kind of thing that could be a really big deal. If he's flying to Austin this weekend, it might flat out blow his mind. I'm interested in seeing how it shakes out, but I'm not sanguine about things now that the idiots in Starkville have shown up. I am also curious about this dude's transcripts. 

I believe that Gerry mentioned at one point that Texas was staying close to his transcripts and may not have been 100% sure he could get in. They mentioned he had some JUCO offers. He would likely have a much easier time getting in at MSU. No standardized testing scores this year was going to benefit him. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I believe that Gerry mentioned at one point that Texas was staying close to his transcripts and may not have been 100% sure he could get in. They mentioned he had some JUCO offers. He would likely have a much easier time getting in at MSU. No standardized testing scores this year was going to benefit him. 

This made me laugh out loud. Awesome. I would assume a MSU degree is actually worse than one from LSU, which has more value as toilet paper than behind a frame. So, if there's a bottom out there, MSU has to be close to finding it when it comes to college quality.

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This made me laugh out loud. Awesome. I would assume a MSU degree is actually worse than one from LSU, which has more value as toilet paper than behind a frame. So, if there's a bottom out there, MSU has to be close to finding it when it comes to college quality.

I would have never guessed that LSU and MSU have lower acceptance rates than Ole Miss.

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 18.35.45.png

Edited by MuellerHorn

7 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

TFB seem to be the least accurate of the UT $9.95ers. I always roll my eyes when they report something new that other UT $9.95ers haven't reported.

Yeah, like when they were the only ones saying we were going to hire Sark. What a bunch of idiots. Everyone knows you have to listen to the OB modcast nightly if you want to be informed like Mailbox 357. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

My oldest daughter went into the Teach For America program upon graduating from college. When she applied, she chose "place of highest need" rather than a specific city. She assumed they'd send her to inner city Chicago, LA, Houston, NYC, whatever. She'd get to see some shit or be home while she was doing her time in the program. 

Instead of the inner city, they sent her to a very small town in the Mississippi delta. She taught 3rd graders and all students in MS have to pass the reading portion of their state standardized tests in 3rd grade. The elementary school had one white kid in it and a few asians and hispanics. The private school down the road would accept white kids for as little as a $5 donation if they were needs based. That school was all white, as they hadn't found a price high enough yet in order for it to make sense to enroll a non-caucasian. 

Segregation is still alive and well in that state. It seemed to me that black folks were fucked for life in that place. She had multiple teenagers in her class each year because they couldn't pass the test. She got stabbed. She and her students saw one classmate's dad murder another classmate's dad in front of the school one day over a drug deal gone bad. There were fistfights in her class that she was forbidden from breaking up at least weekly. 

Point is, small-town Mississippi is a hell of a thing. Many of these kids are fucked from day one and they've got very little exposure to much beyond walking distance. An in-state offer seems like the kind of thing that could be a really big deal. If he's flying to Austin this weekend, it might flat out blow his mind. I'm interested in seeing how it shakes out, but I'm not sanguine about things now that the idiots in Starkville have shown up. I am also curious about this dude's transcripts. 

This, best thing to happen to that kid and his family would for him to leave that shitty state.  I just googled the small town he lives in.  It’s horrible.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

https://features.apmreports.org/in-the-dark/season-two/#:~:text=SEASON TWO,as hard to execute him.

"In this season, we investigate the case of Curtis Flowers, a Black man from Winona, Mississippi, who was tried six times for the same crime. Flowers spent more than 20 years fighting for his life while a white prosecutor spent that same time trying just as hard to execute him."

A crime which, by the way, the guy did not do. A good look into small town Mississippi for anyone interested.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

This, best thing to happen to that kid and his family would for him to leave that shitty state.  I just googled the small town he lives in.  It’s horrible.

You needed Google to tell you that a small town in Mississippi is a shit hole?

The whole state is depressingly bad. USNews has them with an overall rank of #49 (only ahead of Louisiana). 

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

311938767_ScreenShot2023-01-23at7_22_56PM.thumb.png.e75a41947a39c6e051c12f83f345de0e.png

50 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, like when they were the only ones saying we were going to hire Sark. What a bunch of idiots. Everyone knows you have to listen to the OB modcast nightly if you want to be informed like Mailbox 357. 

TFB was pretty spot on with the assistant hires as well?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

8 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Largest human I have ever seen in person.  A literal mountain of a man.

Played against him in middle school basketball and football wortham was so small he played in our bball league. He was over 6 foot in 6th grade parents were demanding his birth cert.  I didn’t even waste my time jumping for the ball to start the match and football was just stupid he ate everyone up lol 

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I think the only solution is for you to have him come live with your family and your daughter can come back to tutor him until he can get his grades up to qualify at UT. 

05E23A79-4B64-4414-8D45-66FFA54BFF2F.thumb.jpeg.3bdffd26432362c6761379c7763397e7.jpeg

My daughter is living her own absurd real life fairy tale. She’s retired from having to work ever again. As a result, she’s no longer available for tutoring. Her story would actually rival or beat Oher’s, frankly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My daughter is living her own absurd real life fairy tale. She’s retired from having to work ever again. As a result, she’s no longer available for tutoring. Her story would actually rival or beat Oher’s, frankly. 

That's fucking awesome. We give each other shit on here constantly, but all or most of us have kids. A dad's biggest wish is for their kids to have a better life than they had. Congrats to you and your daughter.

Also good on you for giving her only name brand cereal growing up.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Pics?

B0D6041C-6B65-41AD-A049-77CDE7165E38.jpeg.3cd38e159ec6491c8072f2a5b152c7c4.jpeg

12B9A465-61E2-45A7-9AA2-F87ED54ABACA.thumb.jpeg.4096e2dc6164d6cdd5569ea835bfcd4a.jpeg

76FD3F82-D1AE-4499-94FD-916C20DE6982.thumb.jpeg.47ab5550db5c275d355e92ed93888013.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Getting stabbed and being witness to a homicide would have me trying to retire early too.

Teaching is no joke. I've caught kids snorting coke off the restroom sink, sparking j's in same restroom (my classroom is right across from said restroom)vapes all over the place, and social media... Fuck. And that's just middle school. These idiots would be like how do you know it's weed? Bitch please, jester east motherfucker!

Edited by El Compadre
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sounds like she married a prince. Hopefully it wasn't Dorbah (unless he was given a sweet castle in Tempe).

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, El Compadre said:

Teaching is no joke. I've caught kids snorting coke off the restroom sink, sparking j's in same restroom (my classroom is right across from said restroom)vapes all over the place, and social media... Fuck. And that's just middle school. These idiots would be like how do you know it's weed? Bitch please, jester east motherfucker!

In middle school a kid fell out of the drop ceiling on to my English teachers desk in the middle of class, turns out the drug dogs had showed up and he threw his baggy in the ceiling in the bathroom next door and fell through trying to get it back later. Then there was the infamous emo girl chicken burger incident.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, El Compadre said:

My wife, several years ago, was the only person who would babysit a mentally disturbed child.  She was his teacher, and the only person in his life who he obeyed, until he didn’t. Nothing like getting a call on a random Tuesday from your wife that she has locked herself in the bathroom because a 12 year old was trying to stab her to death.  Call the police was my first response.  She didn’t want to do that.  My ass covered 10 miles in 5 minutes, got to the house, and then had a moment of reckoning.  I’m about to encounter a deranged teen with a knife.  Not a fun thing to contemplate.  Ready to go to war, walked in the house and the kid was crying in a corner of the kitchen.

• Hook 'Em 3