Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

48 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My wife, several years ago, was the only person who would babysit a mentally disturbed child.  She was his teacher, and the only person in his life who he obeyed, until he didn’t. Nothing like getting a call on a random Tuesday from your wife that she has locked herself in the bathroom because a 12 year old was trying to stab her to death.  Call the police was my first response.  She didn’t want to do that.  My ass covered 10 miles in 5 minutes, got to the house, and then had a moment of reckoning.  I’m about to encounter a deranged teen with a knife.  Not a fun thing to contemplate.  Ready to go to war, walked in the house and the kid was crying in a corner of the kitchen.

So did he pass the class or not?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, El Compadre said:

That's fucking awesome. We give each other shit on here constantly, but all or most of us have kids. A dad's biggest wish is for their kids to have a better life than they had. Congrats to you and your daughter.

Also good on you for giving her only name brand cereal growing up.

Back in the day, middle school was well known to be more dangerous than high school because most of the REALLY dangerous kids had been dismissed or left before high school.

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

My wife, several years ago, was the only person who would babysit a mentally disturbed child.  She was his teacher, and the only person in his life who he obeyed, until he didn’t. Nothing like getting a call on a random Tuesday from your wife that she has locked herself in the bathroom because a 12 year old was trying to stab her to death.  Call the police was my first response.  She didn’t want to do that.  My ass covered 10 miles in 5 minutes, got to the house, and then had a moment of reckoning.  I’m about to encounter a deranged teen with a knife.  Not a fun thing to contemplate.  Ready to go to war, walked in the house and the kid was crying in a corner of the kitchen.

I hope that you pepper 🌶️ sprayed the fuck out of that little shit until he was vomiting and his eyes were about to fall out.

Edited by Napoleon

7 hours ago, El Compadre said:

That's fucking awesome. We give each other shit on here constantly, but all or most of us have kids. A dad's biggest wish is for their kids to have a better life than they had. Congrats to you and your daughter.

Also good on you for giving her only name brand cereal growing up.

He’s not gonna fuck you bro 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Would it have been socially acceptable to punch him in the face if he came at you?  I always wondered how many 12 year olds I could take before I got overwhelmed 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Would it have been socially acceptable to punch him in the face if he came at you?  I always wondered how many 12 year olds I could take before I got overwhelmed 

I've done it. You have to go after the leader first and then the rest will scatter.

• Haha 1

Athletic: Five-star recruiting debate: What matters when it comes to ranking top prospects

relevant to Baxter's ranking:

“Our rankings — we’ve always used the NFL Draft as our compass. At the end of the day, we’re judged the hardest on that Thursday night in late April or early May, when fans bring up kids’ old ranking profiles on draft night. If we say a kid is a four-star, we’re saying he’s an NFL Draft pick. If we say he’s a five-star, we think he’s a first-rounder. Obviously that’s a difficult thing to project, but we study the NFL Draft, lean on trends and try to apply it to the rankings process.”

The big debate Ivins and his staff are having at the 11th hour is how many running backs to include among their top 32 when it’s obvious the position has become devalued at the NFL Draft. Texas’ Bijan Robinson, Ivins said, is the only running back being projected in the first round, and he’s likely going anywhere from No. 18 to 28.

“We like the running back class and the guys we have at the top,” Ivins said. “I don’t think we favor one guy more than the other. It’s kind of your taste … flavor. So, it’s like, ‘Do we even have a running back who is a five-star?’ If we said that 10 years ago, people would think we’re crazy. But we’re trying to mirror what the executives and what the trends are at the next level. We’re always studying that. That kind of shakes our rankings if that makes sense. That’s year-round, really.”

Kelvin Banks is in a unique category - and The Athletic screwed up his school:

image.thumb.png.c0dd235c8a199566b11c12e05646c383.png

full:

Spoiler

Five-star recruiting debate: What matters when it comes to ranking top prospects

AUBURN, ALABAMA - OCTOBER 09:  Bo Nix #10 of the Auburn Tigers tries to escape pressure as he is sacked by Quay Walker #7 of the Georgia Bulldogs during the second half at Jordan-Hare Stadium on October 09, 2021 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
By Manny Navarro
5h ago

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Andrew Ivins, the director of scouting at 247Sports, was enjoying a margarita by the pool — on one of those rare Saturday afternoons that he wasn’t at a combine or a 7-on-7 tournament — when his phone rang.

A former national coach of the year was calling to find out why one of the high school seniors he’d just signed had slipped down the industry’s composite rankings.

“Turns out we didn’t even move him down. It was some other service,” said Ivins, a recruiting reporter and analyst since 2016 who recently became 247Sports’ first scouting director since Barton Simmons left to become Vanderbilt’s general manager in 2021.

“I haven’t personally spoken to a ton of head coaches, but I know other guys on our team have,” Ivins said. “I’ll say this: All those (coaches) love to get up on signing day and say that the rankings don’t matter. But it matters to them. When it comes to crunch time, they’re gonna make some phone calls and try to get their guys moved up. There’s no doubt about that.”

Ranking more than 3,000 high school players per recruiting cycle can be a mind-numbing process, but what Ivins and his fellow analysts spend the most time debating is which 32 high school seniors earn the coveted five-star distinction. They’ll put the finishing touches on their 2023 signing class on Thursday.

“When you look at some of the guys in consideration, these are guys we’ve been tracking since they were in eighth grade. And you have a ton of different data points — meaning we saw them in a camp setting, a tournament or one of their games, including these all-star games,” Ivins said.

“Our rankings — we’ve always used the NFL Draft as our compass. At the end of the day, we’re judged the hardest on that Thursday night in late April or early May, when fans bring up kids’ old ranking profiles on draft night. If we say a kid is a four-star, we’re saying he’s an NFL Draft pick. If we say he’s a five-star, we think he’s a first-rounder. Obviously that’s a difficult thing to project, but we study the NFL Draft, lean on trends and try to apply it to the rankings process.”

The big debate Ivins and his staff are having at the 11th hour is how many running backs to include among their top 32 when it’s obvious the position has become devalued at the NFL Draft. Texas’ Bijan Robinson, Ivins said, is the only running back being projected in the first round, and he’s likely going anywhere from No. 18 to 28.

“We like the running back class and the guys we have at the top,” Ivins said. “I don’t think we favor one guy more than the other. It’s kind of your taste … flavor. So, it’s like, ‘Do we even have a running back who is a five-star?’ If we said that 10 years ago, people would think we’re crazy. But we’re trying to mirror what the executives and what the trends are at the next level. We’re always studying that. That kind of shakes our rankings if that makes sense. That’s year-round, really.”

In the end, Ivins and others make their evaluations without the advantage the NFL gets: seeing them play in college, going through a pro combine and then meeting with them following a private workout.

“One of my favorite parts of the job is if a guy slips through the cracks, even prior to my time, I’m always going back and watching that kid’s film, digging into old track times, trying to figure out how he fell through so we can catch that guy next time,” Ivins said. “Any evaluator who says they’re going to bat 1,000 is completely wrong. You’re going to have misses. You just try to limit those misses.”

The toughest positions to hit on consistently? Linebacker, quarterback and offensive tackle.

“I do think linebacker has been a fascinating position,” Ivins said. “If you look at where the game has gone — and I mean the big boys on Sunday — everybody wants to throw it around the yard. The trendy thing has been these off-ball linebackers. A lot of the guys that have gone early in the draft played a lot of snaps but are on the smaller size. But they were all fast and had verified speed markers. So, we tried to reflect that in our rankings. This 2023 class, we’re probably going to have three kids finish as five stars. One of the kids ran 23 mph in Catapult’s GPS in pads, which is insane. You’re telling me a 213-pound linebacker was the fastest? There’s another kid out of Mississippi, Suntarine Perkins, playing slot corner, running around.

“But at the same time, you’ve got to be careful because there’s a growing theory the game might slip back to more of a power run game and you might need more mashers and big bodies to get in there.”

Of the 11 five-star quarterbacks from 2016 through 2019 to enter college ball, five have been drafted, including three in the first round after just three years: Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields and Tua Tagovailoa. Eleven of the 22 five-star QBs since 2016 have transferred at least once.

“I’m a big believer in you never really know what you’re going to get until the bullets start flying,” Ivins said. “Sometimes the kids they’ll be in high school, be in a perfect situation, get to the next level, face some adversity for the first time and things don’t go well. Between the ears, it’s not all there.”

Ivins said evaluating offensive tackles is hard because many who end up being drafted were “under 250 pounds when they were in high school.”

Of the 23 offensive linemen to earn a five-star ranking in the composite from 2016 through 2019, 14 have been drafted, with six selected as first-rounders: Jonah Williams (Alabama), Alex Leatherwood (Alabama), Isaiah Wilson (Georgia), Evan Neal (Alabama), Kenyon Green (Texas A&M) and Charles Cross (Mississippi State).

“We’re now ranking kids as freshmen and sophomores,” Ivins said. “The reality is we wish we had more time to kind of identify body types because it’s super hard to project. I’ve been to the eighth-grade All-America game for the past three years in a row. How do you know what this kid is going to look like not only in four years but in eight years? There’s no exact science to that.”

Ivins said he and the 247 staffers speak to college coaches about rankings, but it’s usually just an exchange of information.

“Some recruiting departments are fine-tuned, well-oiled machines,” Ivins said. “Georgia has like 20 staffers in their recruiting department who all have a computer. Other schools don’t have that luxury. With us, you can hear the college feedback. That’s going to be on our minds, but that’s not the end-all-be-all. On our team, we’ve had multiple guys work on the other side, run recruiting departments for Power 5, big schools. We put in the work as well. We get more live exposure to some of these kids than a lot of those schools do. We take what they say into consideration, but it’s a small piece.

“At the end of the day, we watch the kids all around the country and try to stack the top 247 of them. At some schools, they might not be recruiting a kid from a certain region. For us, all those kids are on the board. People always ask, ‘How is this kid not a five-star?’ I tell them, ‘Take the blinders off. This is all you’ve seen. Look at the whole picture. It’s completely different.’ Our process is data-driven as well. Whether that’s testing, measurements, length, all of it is taken into consideration.”

At The Athletic, we have always used composite player and team rankings from 247Sports, which combine the rankings done by ESPN, On3, Rivals and 247.

While Ivins and his fellow analysts are trying to project NFL first-round picks from the high school level, college football fans always have high expectations for five-star recruits. Not all of them become stars as soon as they set foot on campus. Some don’t ever take that step.

Of the 223 five-star recruits in the 247Sports Composite to play in college since 2016, only 11 started every game as a true freshman.

5-stars who started as freshmen since 2016
Ed Oliver, DL
Demetris Robertson, WR
team-logo-245-50x50.pngCal
Jonah Williams, OL
Trey Smith, OL
Kenyon Green, OL
Evan Neal, OL
Bo Nix, QB
Owen Pappoe, LB
Derek Stingley, CB
team-logo-267-50x50.pngLSU
Will Anderson, DE
Kelvin Banks, OL

In all, roughly 43 percent of the five-stars since 2016 have started at least one game as a true freshman with one in five starting more than six games in their first college season. By Year 2, 78 percent have cracked the starting lineup and 52 percent are starting at least half of their team’s games.

How many actually need only three years to make the quick jump to the NFL?

Since 2016, 68 of a possible 154 (44 percent) have entered their name into the draft early, including 21 of 32 from the Class of 2020, which won’t be drafted until the final week of April this year. From 2016 through 2019, nearly half of the five-star recruits who entered the draft early (23 of 47) were taken in the first round, with 44 of the 47 being drafted.

How many five-stars have ended up in the transfer portal? Counting the 2022 class, a little more than one-quarter (26 percent) of the 223 five-star recruits since 2016 have changed schools at least once.

How does the 2022 crop of five-star phenoms compare to their recent predecessors after their first season in college? Not bad.

Fifteen out of the 34 five-star recruits in the 2022 cycle started games as true freshmen, with eight starting six games or more (Jackson State cornerback Travis Hunter, Missouri wide receiver Luther Burden, LSU linebacker Harold Perkins, Texas A&M defensive lineman Shemar Stewart, Texas A&M wide receiver Evan Stewart, Georgia safety Malaki Starks, Penn State running back Nick Singleton and Texas offensive tackle Kelvin Banks Jr.).

Four of the 34 have entered the transfer portal.

Tomorrow, in Part 2 of this story, we will detail how the 34 five-star prospects in the Class of 2022 fared as true freshmen this past fall.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

That's a harrowing story, and I don't want to minimize it at all.... but - in reference to the bold part above, what is Teddy Lehman doing on this board???

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

At this point, assuming that any "mistake" that The Athletic makes which puts A&M in a better a better light, would in itself also be a mistake. They're literally business partners with Texags. Fuck them. 

Publicly identifying Banks as aggy probably gives him ground for a libel suit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

At this point, assuming that any "mistake" that The Athletic makes which puts A&M in a better a better light, would in itself also be a mistake. They're literally business partners with Texags. Fuck them. 

i don't think they are anymore as of like two years ago? the point stands but AFAIK that partnership is dead

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I haven't seen that anywhere. Link?

Olin Buchanan had been writing there pretty often but his last article from there is from may 2020: https://theathletic.com/author/olin-buchanan-texags/

did some quick googles on other staff and don't see anything under their byline over there.

there are a couple of people who have author pages there but no content anymore? like Looch write some stuff but it doesn't show up on his author page.

either way it looks like it is dead. no content from texags on the A&M specific football page either. guessing the deal just ended/wasn't renewed?

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

Olin Buchanan had been writing there pretty often but his last article from there is from may 2020: https://theathletic.com/author/olin-buchanan-texags/

did some quick googles on other staff and don't see anything under their byline over there.

there are a couple of people who have author pages there but no content anymore? like Looch write some stuff but it doesn't show up on his author page.

either way it looks like it is dead. no content from texags on the A&M specific football page either. guessing the deal just ended/wasn't renewed?

I mean, I'm guessing The Texags staff just sucks balls, and The Athletic isn't updating their website. But you can't just wash the stench of skunk off you. The athletic is forever unclean. 

League Ruxin GIF - League Ruxin Ocd - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I'm guessing The Texags staff just sucks balls, and The Athletic isn't updating their website. But you can't just wash the stench of skunk off you. The athletic is forever unclean. 

League Ruxin GIF - League Ruxin Ocd - Discover & Share GIFs

Yeah, at the time the partnership was formed, one of the most trafficked threads on their site was a Qanon thread where thousands of adherents gleefully posted their excitement over the upcoming extrajudicial killings of their enemies. Wise business decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

FWIW, it's been corrected:

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 1.11.11 PM.png

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, quigley said:

Back in the day, middle school was well known to be more dangerous than high school because most of the REALLY dangerous kids had been dismissed or left before high school.

My Jr High outside free time after lunch was like a prison yard.  Better have eyes in the back of your head.  One day you’re part of the group seeking prey the next day you’re the prey.  Got my doctorate in crisis management in middle school.  

• Hook 'Em 4

The Athletic is good for baseball and very little else. 

I listened to the Audible with Bruce and Stew recently. They hosted The Athletic’s Bama beat writer Aaron Suttles. This shithead goes on a 15 minute rant about how Georgia’s repeat isn’t that impressive and Saban is still coaching circles around Kirby. After double checking that he didn’t graduate from aggy, I concluded he hasn’t watched any college football since 2020.

Bruce and Stew never corrected him, interjected, or disagreed. Just mildly agreed and let him go like Finebaum when he hosts Looch. 

The TexAgs connection shines through. Both are convinced Patrino is a home run hire and will fix the aggy offense. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

17 hours ago, C-Man said:

FWIW, it's been corrected:

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 1.11.11 PM.png

Ed Oliver - Rd 1 Pick 9

Demetris Robertson - UFA, playing in CFL

Jonah Williams - Rd 1 Pick 11

Trey Smith - Rd 6 Pick 226

Kenyon Green - Rd 1 Pick 15

Evan Neal - Rd 1 Pick 7

Bo Nix - Still in College

Owen Pappoe - Declared for NFL draft

Derek Stingley - Rd 1 Pick 3

Will Anderson - Potential top 5 draft pick

Kelvin Banks - TBD. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Athletic is good for baseball and very little else. 

I listened to the Audible with Bruce and Stew recently. They hosted The Athletic’s Bama beat writer Aaron Suttles. This shithead goes on a 15 minute rant about how Georgia’s repeat isn’t that impressive and Saban is still coaching circles around Kirby. After double checking that he didn’t graduate from aggy, I concluded he hasn’t watched any college football since 2020.

Bruce and Stew never corrected him, interjected, or disagreed. Just mildly agreed and let him go like Finebaum when he hosts Looch. 

The TexAgs connection shines through. Both are convinced Patrino is a home run hire and will fix the aggy offense. 

Maybe it's a college football thing for them. I think The Athletic does very well on almost all professional sports. I only read UT stories as they surface and not much else of their college coverage.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Per Gerry (IT) - 4-star Safety and TCU commit (but unsigned) Warren Roberson is OV'ing to Texas this weekend

The Texas Longhorns are scheduled to host one of the top unsigned prospects in the country the last visit weekend before signing day.

On3 Consensus 4-star safety Warren Roberson told Inside Texas Tuesday night that he is planning to make an official visit to Texas this weekend.

The 6-foot, 190-pound playmaker hosted Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian, Blake Gideon and staff members last week for an in home visit.

https://247sports.com/player/warren-roberson-46118297/

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Ed Oliver - Rd 1 Pick 9

Demetris Robertson - UFA, playing in CFL

Jonah Williams - Rd 1 Pick 11

Trey Smith - Rd 6 Pick 226

Kenyon Green - Rd 1 Pick 15

Evan Neal - Rd 1 Pick 7

Bo Nix - Still in College

Owen Pappoe - Declared for NFL draft

Derek Stingley - Rd 1 Pick 3

Will Anderson - Potential top 5 draft pick

Kelvin Banks - TBD. 

I'm not sure what the story is with Robertson. He transferred twice (first to Georgia, then to Auburn) and never made a huge impact anywhere after his freshman year at Cal.

Trey Smith has started 33 of 34 games since he was drafted by KC. Made the PFWA All-Rookie team last year. Mentioned as a Pro Bowl snub this year. Dunno why he was drafted so low but seems like it's working out so far in the NFL.

You all know the story with Nix. Three pretty up-and-down years at Auburn, transferred to Oregon and had a very nice year. I have absolutely no idea where/if he'll be drafted - probably depends a lot on this upcoming season.

Quick Googling shows that Pappoe is considered a round 2-3 type guy.

Anyway, long story short, you've really gotta like these odds. Basically Robertson is the only guy on this list that didn't pan out.

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm not sure what the story is with Robertson. He transferred twice (first to Georgia, then to Auburn) and never made a huge impact anywhere after his freshman year at Cal.

Trey Smith has started 33 of 34 games since he was drafted by KC. Made the PFWA All-Rookie team last year. Mentioned as a Pro Bowl snub this year. Dunno why he was drafted so low but seems like it's working out so far in the NFL.

You all know the story with Nix. Three pretty up-and-down years at Auburn, transferred to Oregon and had a very nice year. I have absolutely no idea where/if he'll be drafted - probably depends a lot on this upcoming season.

Quick Googling shows that Pappoe is considered a round 2-3 type guy.

Anyway, long story short, you've really gotta like these odds. Basically Robertson is the only guy on this list that didn't pan out.

Oh man, I remember feeling really bad for Robertson. Apparently a really smart kid with a not great home life - wasn't able to get into Stanford but got into Cal and did well there. But then he kept transferring closer to where he grew up and never performed as well, which doesn't exactly sound like he was able to get away from his old orbit. Hopefully he enjoys Montreal (not hard) and is able to finally really become his own person.

4 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Some vague reference on Twitter about an uncommitted 4 star coming in this weekend, anyone got it?

Didn't read the page you posted on, huh?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

43 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Per Gerry (IT) - 4-star Safety and TCU commit (but unsigned) Warren Roberson is OV'ing to Texas this weekend

https://247sports.com/player/warren-roberson-46118297/

8 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Some vague reference on Twitter about an uncommitted 4 star coming in this weekend, anyone got it?

Here ya go.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh man, I remember feeling really bad for Robertson. Apparently a really smart kid with a not great home life - wasn't able to get into Stanford but got into Cal and did well there. But then he kept transferring closer to where he grew up and never performed as well, which doesn't exactly sound like he was able to get away from his old orbit. Hopefully he enjoys Montreal (not hard) and is able to finally really become his own person.

Incredible city.  Arctic weather.  <csb>The first work trip I took there I had packed for 'cold' - but not fucking brutally cold.  It was 70 degrees in Houston and the first night in Montreal it got down to -30.  Had to buy 'real' winter clothes the next morning. Walked something like 15 blocks through the coldest wind possible to eat a sandwich at Schwartz's.  It was worth it.</csb>

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 8

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Didn't read the page you posted on, huh?

Just now, Ragde said:

Here ya go.

Uncommitted or unsigned, though? I assumed @4th and 5 to be talking about someone other than Warren Roberson, since he's currently committed.

Roberson has some dawg in him, not blazing speed + willingness to hit = why he projects to safety. Would probably be a special teams demon until he gets his shot in the defensive backfield. Just last night on their YouTube video, Burton was commiserating with Hamilton about how another safety was one of the few things he thought the ‘23 class lacked. 

• Like 1

GH on Warren Robertson's timeline:

"So here is the timeline ..

I went by Red Oak High recently to see the young prospects. Was told Texas had reached out to the staff inquiring about Roberson prior to signing day. At the time, he was planning to sign with TCU. Then he didn't.

Red Oak was going through a head coaching change when I visited the school, so it was all over the place as it always is during these situations.

Sarkisian rolled through the school January 17. That caught my attention, even though Red Oak has 2-3 2025's and a 2026 speedster.

Then circled back again last night. But still wasn't sure until early this AM after checking on the info from Roberson."

GH on other schools still pursuing Robertson:

"TCU will try to keep him visiting. Arizona State will try get the last visit over Texas.

Right now, it's not ASU. We shall see if ASU can get him to visit instead of Texas."

GH on if Robertson is a multi-sport H.S. athlete:

"Ran track. Not sure it's what he loves."

GH comparing Warren Robertson to Derrick Williams:

"Williams is more of a run and stoke guy with good ball skills and corner level foot quickness

Roberson is the wide receiver ball skills playing safety that play with range to the ball, and make plays on the ball"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1