Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

On 1/25/2023 at 4:55 PM, Magus Ossis said:

As always, I appreciate your information and your takes.  The idea that small children could be nubile, however, is rather interesting. I think perhaps another adjective would be more suitable.

Sooo… CTJ is not really Greg Davis, he’s Ryan Day.  

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

826eefc9f2ba1b3874600851b2f88646.jpg

Brownsboro Fire made a post about it.

Well, confirmed I was tracking the right chopper all day in the 2024 thread. My employer will be proud. Thanks for posting.

5 hours ago, derpyhorndog said:

Now that you say it...I think you're on to something. Today's flight path went right over Timpson, it was just one of the stretches where the site had spotty coverage/data on the chopper. Digging into the time stamps from the points it popped in and out of coverage, it made a roughly 30 minute stop during that stretch over Timpson.

Interesting. Screencap below for those curious. Timpson is in the red handdrawn circle. Lines that are dashed black-and-orange are where coverage/date was lost (solid orange means consistent coverage).

timpson.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Burton said this morning that we're still in it for Duce. 

He’d prefer to come to Texas if all things were equal, apparently. I find it surprising because of what Georgia has done with TEs, but that’s pretty cool. It would take more than looking under the couch cushions for spare change at this late stage, though. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He’d prefer to come to Texas if all things were equal, apparently. I find it surprising because of what Georgia has done with TEs, but that’s pretty cool. It would take more than looking under the couch cushions for spare change at this late stage, though. 

Have we not shown him the pictures from the Burnt Endz tailgate and dinner? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, ousux said:
18 hours ago, markstanco said:
Just make certain you are going the posted speed limit. 

Good advice when passing through any small town that depends on traffic violations for 90% of their revenue.

Likely, but on HWY 31 between Tyler and Wacko, you have to be extra cautious in Brownsboro and Kerens. The rest I stay 5-7 over. 

• Hook 'Em 2

From IT:

Texas continues to stay in contact with junior college defensive tackle Jaden Hamlin (Valley, Ala./Southwest Mississippi Community College). UT hosted the 6-foot-3.5, 305-pounder on an unofficial visit last weekend.  The Horns staff are currently reviewing Hamlin’s transcript to see if everything is a match for Texas. He continues to be considered for an offer from the staff. 

https://southwestbearathletics.com/sports/football/roster/jaden-hamlin/3926

• Hook 'Em 4

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Reading between the llnes.   Did we exchange one year of worthy for 3 years of Duce?     I'm not really criticizing or saying that's an easy decision at the time, because you don't know what a high school kid is going to decide on.    Just that these sorts of decisions are going to be more and more factored into the coaches decisions with what eventually will be a de facto salary cap.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

image.jpeg.712908284166a754f6b5bcf181a06af3.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Who's ready to pass the hat?

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yay!! Thanks for volunteering, closetohumping! If you, me, and 68 other Surlyites just post $5000 each, it might give us a shot. 

Is that three zeros or 1.  My eyesight and math may be off

im absolutely willing to hold the funds.  Just not sure they’ll ever make it to Duce if it’s my hat

Edited by closetohumping
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yay!! Thanks for volunteering, closetohumping! If you, me, and 68 other Surlyites just post $5000 each, it might give us a shot. 

Not sure if serious but if 350k is the actual number that seems… doable? I thought 5 stars and best at their positions cost more than that. It’s really hard to know what to believe numbers wise. 350k feels like a market correction from last year but wtf do I know. 
I’d be in for another 5k to Burnt Endz for Duce if Immamac is going to launder the deal and other people chip in. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not sure if serious but if 350k is the actual number that seems… doable? I thought 5 stars and best at their positions cost more than that. It’s really hard to know what to believe numbers wise. 350k feels like a market correction from last year but wtf do I know. 
I’d be in for another 5k to Burnt Endz for Duce if Immamac is going to launder the deal and other people chip in. 

For those of us with wives who resent football and who look for BOGOs at the grocery store this seems crazy.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

But that’s your Bobby Burton YouTube money! 🙀

Look man, anything I can do to help anyone in the longhorn community.  It's been very good to me.  I'm happy to do it. Bobby is a good dude with the programs best interest at heart.  Scipio is a good dude that loves UT football.  Immamac is a good dude that we can't help but want to support.  It's not like I'd ever give a red cent to FCB or Jabba the Ketchum.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Are your saying that we are $350K short or the total price is $350K?

While I am always semi-serious, I am always mostly not. Especially if exclamation points are being used. So don’t take me literally on this one. It was a spitball around perception of what it would likely need to be. I’m not trying to stir up us doing anything for it here as I would bet the work is being done or it can’t get done. 

Someone else asked about $350 for a 5 star being cheap, I guess two things:

1) like I said, I was spitballing

2) depends upon position, but TEs aren’t going to cost Edge money, much less big time skill guys. 

I also don’t think $250k for a player has ever been common, much less beyond that. Some of that in the last few cycles, but not a ton of it. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

IMO he's worth. I could see him being a 1st round pick in 3 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

For those of us with wives who resent football and who look for BOGOs at the grocery store this seems crazy.  

Ha-ha.  My wife bitches about the $10 or so I spend on this site each month.  The same wife that has a damn near daily delivery of Lego sets or Disney pins she's purchased.

• Haha 3