Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

12 hours ago, thepop said:

So we traded TCU Roberson for Jamel Johnson. Johnson tending down in rankings while Roberson had been trending up. 

To the extent that you can trust Roberson's Senior HUDL (admittedly, you frequently can't), I'll make that trade all day. He looks fast, like he covers well, is a beast on special teams, plays really hard, and seems to have solid hands. This kid looks like a take all day. 

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/13289397/6374687d5ef7360b20a7fa62

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, campcrunk said:

To the extent that you can trust Roberson's Senior HUDL (admittedly, you frequently can't), I'll make that trade all day. He looks fast, like he covers well, is a beast on special teams, plays really hard, and seems to have solid hands. This kid looks like a take all day. 

Maybe the best part of Roberson’s video is how much different he is compared to Derek Williams. He covers ground and is a play maker with the ball in the air. Williams is a physical safety that will smack you (athletic and a playmaker also). One is a pure FS and one is a pure SS 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Did that unknown kid we found come in this weekend from Mississippi?

You mean that kid who immediately got an offer from Miss St., canceled his visit to us, and got fong’d to Miss St.? Like days ago or even the week before last?

Have you considered reading the threads?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, campcrunk said:

elite spike on that first play

48 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Jackson Arnold at number 2 makes sense if you assume every high school QB that kind of has Baker Mayfield’s physical profile will be the number 1 pick in the NFL Draft someday.  Of course, that would require there being 200 number 1 picks in the NFL draft every year, but that’s probably nitpicking.

Jackson Arnold makes sense if Riley is still at BlowU.  

• Haha 1

Connor Stroh 90

Billy Walton 80

S'Maje Burrell 59

1 lineman in the top 10. The rest are skill players. And a lot of the highly ranked guys like David Hicks at 1, Rueben Owens at 6, and Braylan Shelby at 11 have a high likelihood of flaming out.

I didn't know that Calvin Simpson-Hunt was so highly regarded. Toviano, Rogers, and Thomas seemed to get more press.

7 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Jackson Arnold at #2 is fucking insane.

I agree. The history of highly-ranked Guyer qbs in college is not great. JW Walsh (#7 ranked qb) was a very good hs qb, wound up being relegated to a red zone-only qb/sideline hype guy @ OSU. We all know about Jerrod Heard (#2). Shawn Robinson (#6) made a name for himself in his two years @ Guyer playing alongside freshman Noah Cain his junior year, busted @ TCU & became a pretty decent db @ KSU. Eli Stowers (#20) was Jimbo’s handpicked qb for 2021. This is him now:

spacer.png

All four of those previous multi-year Guyer starting qbs looked to be big-time P5 qbs at one point. Not one of them justified their lofty rankings (all top 20 qbs; top 200 overall) at the next level (though Heard did have that one superlative performance vs Cal). Arnold may be considerably better than all of those guys, but it isn’t a stretch to say that kids in the Guyer system tend to get a gratuitous bump from the recruiting services.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, SamMan said:

I agree. The history of highly-ranked Guyer qbs in college is not great. JW Walsh (#7 ranked qb) was a very good hs qb, wound up being relegated to a red zone-only qb/sideline hype guy @ OSU. We all know about Jerrod Heard (#2). Shawn Robinson (#6) made a name for himself in his two years @ Guyer playing alongside freshman Noah Cain his junior year, busted @ TCU & became a pretty decent db @ KSU. Eli Stowers (#20) was Jimbo’s handpicked qb for 2021. This is him now:

spacer.png

All four of those previous multi-year Guyer starting qbs looked to be big-time P5 qbs at one point. Not one of them justified their lofty rankings (all top 20 qbs; top 200 overall) at the next level (though Heard did have that one superlative performance vs Cal). Arnold may be considerably better than all of those guys, but it isn’t a stretch to say that kids in the Guyer system tend to get a gratuitous bump from the recruiting services.

Working theory is there is an inherent amount of stupid for anyone emerging from Denton ISD.  That matters more at QB.  The non-qb guys can be talented enough to overcome it.

Just saw the note on Roberson from Wells. I wonder if he will sign Wednesday, and he’s just saving the announcement for Friday. His birthday? Mom’s birthday? Honoring a friend? Who knows. I do know Fridays are where news goes to die, so he needs a new PR advisor.

Hope it’s us, kid seems like a good complement to what we’ve already signed.

Edited to add Gerry Hamilton thinks Texas now leads over USC, TCU fading…

Edited by Vito Andolini

12 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Working theory is there is an inherent amount of stupid for anyone emerging from Denton ISD.  That matters more at QB.  The non-qb guys can be talented enough to overcome it.

Not knowing the ins and outs of Texas HS Football, why would this be?

26 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Just saw the note on Roberson from Wells. I wonder if he will sign Wednesday, and he’s just saving the announcement for Friday. His birthday? Mom’s birthday? Honoring a friend? Who knows. I do know Fridays are where news goes to die, so he needs a new PR advisor.

It's cause Red Oak scheduled their NSD2 ceremony for Friday.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1