Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Drayton had Cain ready to commit on the morning of signing day. Cain calls him and says he "thinks he wants to" sign with Texas. Herman is on speaker with Drayton and says to Cain something to the effect of "I don't want a guy who 'thinks' he's ready to come to Texas. We only want guys who 'know' they want to come to Texas." Cain and him talk for another couple of seconds and they hang up.

Cain then sits down at his ceremony and signs with Penn State. After the call, he told a parent that he thought about which coach he wanted to play for and it didn't make sense to sign with Texas. 

It's one of many stories in which Herman thought he was funnier, more strategic, and smarter than everyone else. Instead, what he showed himself to be was an asshole with a fanatical, almost pathological, need to pull the bookshelf on top of himself repeatedly. 

Thanks for the details.  Tommie’s narcissism got the best of him that day.  He should have explained to Cain that he was a Mensa member.  That would have fixed it I’m sure. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

My only real red flag about the two sport thing is that he won't get to go through an offseason conditioning and weight program for football. That could really stunt his development as a blocker and just kind of make him a flex guy. I still would love to have him, but I am dubious that he is the next JT Sanders. Also.. I don't think we are getting him. 

I’ll start by saying you take Duece and recruit him hard. That said, the 2 sport thing is not optimal. He appears to be very serious about baseball. Will he have the focus and put the time in to maximize his abilities on the football field? That you don’t know. If not, he is still probably a solid flex guy and a good player. Just not the special player, that many think he will be. 

Below is an excerpt from an article last summer on MLB Prospects Live on Duce Robinson.    Currently,  he is not listed in the Top 100 Prospects but MLB could sign him with above slot bonus.    He may have delayed his signing to see results of MLB draft in July and use draft position to increase his NIL bonus if taken early, or not.  Depends on his priorities.  

There’s no denying Robinson’s talent, and pro scouts have taken notice, but the college athletics landscape might make it even more difficult for Major League Baseball to sway Robinson away from campus. With so much NIL money flooding college athletes’ bank accounts of late, Robinson is sure to have financial options wherever he goes to school, especially given his resume and pedigree. Realistically, unless a team is willing to throw Top-15 money at Robinson next summer, there’s an outside chance he’ll be able to make that much money in three years on campus through his likeness and the opportunities that come with it. That may be a bit presumptive on my part, especially with Robinson being a tight end and not a marquee quarterback name, but the point stands. Money will assuredly be offered his way. And this doesn’t even consider the money the NFL offers out of the gate. The first pick of the fourth round in the NFL Draft this year signed a four-year deal worth ~$4.1 million. Not to mention that player can become a free agent at 25/26 years old. $4.1 million is the slot bonus for the 15th pick in the MLB Draft, and that player likely wouldn’t become a free agent until the age of 27 at the earliest. The financial gap is obviously vast.

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022/8/17/duce-robinson-is-a-prodigious-two-sport-star-and-an-opportunity-for-mlb

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I’ll start by saying you take Duece and recruit him hard. That said, the 2 sport thing is not optimal. He appears to be very serious about baseball. Will he have the focus and put the time in to maximize his abilities on the football field? That you don’t know. If not, he is still probably a solid flex guy and a good player. Just not the special player, that many think he will be. 

What's the old saying Gus used to say? "Come to Texas and play baseball, you will know if you're the best....go to A&M and play, well,  you'll never know".

Let this kid try baseball at Texas, he'll (as will we) know real quick which sport to concentrate on, long term.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Think how special Ricky Williams could have been if only he had focused on football instead of playing minor league baseball.  Regardless, I’m going to post through the whistle on this Duce recruitment. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

20 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You don’t use him like a traditional tight end. You use him to create mismatches and move him around. He’s ultra talented enough. You know how we talked about how Billingsley should be used with motion and splitting out etc…..that. 

Like Cade Brewer?

• Rage+1 5

30 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

On yesterday's On3 livestream, Bobby described Mike Farrell as "the Skip Bayless of recruiting" after mentioning that he hired Farrell back in 2001.

Yeah, the IT guys don’t hide their disdain for Farrell. Gerry seems to have a borderline pathological hatred for Ketch as well (more than most). 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Doing a Mormon mission, doesn't really impact this class.

Are you talking about Hose Mormon from Game of Thrones? From Bear Island? They were one of the more loyal houses of the North. I have a lot of respect for them, but I wouldn't do any real life missions for them. Side note, I do think finding a QB who could warg would be a big advantage. 

Are you talking about Hose Mormon from Game of Thrones? From Bear Island? They were one of the more loyal houses of the North. I have a lot of respect for them, but I wouldn't do any real life missions for them. Side note, I do think finding a QB who could warg would be a big advantage. 
I watched every ep of GOT and still have no idea what you're on about.

Admittedly it was mostly to see which starlet would be next to get nakey, but yeah.

3 minutes ago, ousux said:

I watched every ep of GOT and still have no idea what you're on about.

Admittedly it was mostly to see which starlet would be next to get nakey, but yeah.

Spoilering big images:

Spoiler

This dude was a Mormont

game-of-thrones-jorah.jpg?w=620

And so is she

Jorah-Lyanna-Mormont-Related-Game-Throne

They're a lot more fleshed out in the books

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

So are we not signing anyone today, or have they just not been announced yet? 

Just woke up from an ice storm nap and was wondering…

Have we signed any strippers today?

(Don’t mind if most of them are 4 stars.

️)

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

A Norwegian Mormon?

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

The LDS have done very well in Scandinavia.

2 hours ago, IBuryPaul said:

It's because of the Scandinavian women. No one can eat just one.

TRUTH!

I took a tour of Temple Square in SLC one early December day the year after I had backpacked around Europe. My two guides who randomly walked up when I arrived and started looking around were…

A Finnish girl (not technically “Scandinavian”) who was about one year into her mission and a Norwegian girl who was a few weeks into her Mission. 

There were bundled up, but still pretty cute, so I was going to enjoy this tour. 

I asked so many questions in between telling them stories about what I did while visiting their countries the previous year that my 30 minute tour took a full hour.

I thought that it had gone pretty well, because they asked me for my personal information (including address in Dallas), so I was feeling pretty good… right up until the point where they wouldn’t give me their information*. (*writer’s embellishment)

Back to the truth:  had a good time and enjoyed having the two ladies show me around, but they were confused that I had asked so many questions and seemed so curious about everything and then refused to give my address & phone number so that they could “send me a Book of Mormon” (read: “send two guys on bicycles to my house to try to close the sale”).

SUMMARY: Pagan & atheist Scandinavians who are lost can get drawn in by the whole LDS bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Just woke up from an ice storm nap and was wondering…

Have we signed any strippers today?

(Don’t mind if most of them are 4 stars.

️)

TRUTH!

I took a tour of Temple Square in SLC one early December day the year after I had backpacked around Europe. My two guides who randomly walked up when I arrived and started looking around were…

A Finnish girl (not technically “Scandinavian”) who was about one year into her mission and a Norwegian girl who was a few weeks into her Mission. 

There were bundled up, but still pretty cute, so I was going to enjoy this tour. 

I asked so many questions in between telling them stories about what I did while visiting their countries the previous year that my 30 minute tour took a full hour.

I thought that it had gone pretty well, because they asked me for my personal information (including address in Dallas), so I was feeling pretty good… right up until the point where they wouldn’t give me their information*. (*writer’s embellishment)

Back to the truth:  had a good time and enjoyed having the two ladies show me around, but they were confused that I had asked so many questions and seemed so curious about everything and then refused to give my address & phone number so that they could “send me a Book of Mormon” (read: “send two guys on bicycles to my house to try to close the sale”).

SUMMARY: Pagan & atheist Scandinavians who are lost can get drawn in by the whole LDS bullshit.

The story started off with so much promise ... a cute Finnish girl and a cute Norwegian girl, on missions.  Oh, the pun possibilities alone are endless (finish?  missionary finish?  Norwegian wood?).  

Instead, we end up with references to two guys on a bicycle, paganism and atheism.

Sorta like the Chris Beard saga.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/31/2023 at 5:02 PM, tejas60 said:

wonder if anybody would think he flipped if he, went to LA by Omaha?

23 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

via

22 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Time to kick ol' Green Teeth right in the knee.

20 hours ago, PsychMike said:

I had them all out there stepping and fetching

Like their heads were on fire and their asses was catching

Long as he doesn't go down to Georgia...

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So is USC chasing Roberson this late an indictment of how bad their defense/defensive recruiting is or is the kid that good? 

Both? He's a good prospect and their defensive recruiting is pretty mid.

Is there any new USC smoke beyond them already recruiting him and them being a hat on the table?

Just now, texifornia said:

Both? He's a good prospect and their defensive recruiting is pretty mid.

Is there any new USC smoke beyond them already recruiting him and them being a hat on the table?

I haven’t heard a thing. I just curious as to why Riley is spending 6 hours in the air to recruit a 3-4 star in Texas while Ohio State and Bama are robbing his house.