Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

The Huddle: Latest on Warren Roberson

Hudson Standish

" ... the announcement might just be a formality at this point.

The source strongly believes that Roberson sent in his national letter of intent to the school of his choice on Wednesday but asked to keep it quiet until he was able to make the announcement on his terms."

Spoiler

The Huddle: Latest on Warren Roberson

Hudson Standish

While the shift in importance from NSD2 in February to NSD1 in December isn't a new phenomenon, I can't remember anything like this year where outside of Warren Roberson's announcement being delayed multiple times due to an ice storm and Duce Robinson's MLB vs. College Football decision there wasn't much to follow.

Speaking of Red Oak defensive back Warren Roberson, word got out that Red Oak once again delayed their signing ceremony to make sure that friends and family were able to make the trip due to road conditions so it looks like next Tuesday will be the scheduled date. However after a conversation with one source that's been nails on Roberson and provided the intel that led me and 247Sports recruiting analyst Jordan Scruggs to enter early crystal ball predictions for him to end up at Texas the announcement might just be a formality at this point.

The source strongly believes that Roberson sent in his national letter of intent to the school of his choice on Wednesday but asked to keep it quiet until he was able to make the announcement on his terms. While everything we've gathered leads us to believe that Texas is the pick for Roberson following a homerun official visit last weekend, sources on the TCU and USC sides seemed to indicate more of a battle for Roberson than what we gathered from sources on our side.

In addition to other schools still believing they are in the mix there has always been a "wild card" dynamic to Roberson that has led us to shy away from reporting with the level of confidence we would with other prospects. 

Essentially, what we've heard from Texas sources and contacts in the DFW area leads us to believe that there is a strong chance this recruitment has been over since Wednesday. However, to avoid a similar situation to the Jordan Matthews announcement, we're exercising some caution and making sure to stay vigilant ahead of next Tuesday.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It also didn't include multiple misspellings and missing words, so it lacked your dipshitted authenticity.

I watched this live as a kid with my father. It is one of the angriest moments of either of our lives, and my dad was once a very angry man. Fuck that motherfucking incident right in the fucking face. Fuck you for bringing it up, too. What's next? 1972 Olympic Basketball Finals? Christ.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-biggest-fix-in-olympics-history

Provided a lot more details than I remembered.

Gerry says Roberson is between Texas or TCU, chatter over the last 16 hours favors Texas, his “RPM” (crystal ball) remains in place for Texas. As noted earlier, Red Oak’s signing ceremony will be Tuesday, barring a monsoon or volcano eruption.

Can’t rule out either the monsoon or volcano eruption at this point.

10 hours ago, hornlife said:

I get that TCU played in the title game and got properly ass raped. Why a talented or smart young person would ever choose TCU over UT or USC is beyond me.  Outside of Texas and probably most in Texas, no one even knows where TCU is - that degree would be worthless in Atlanta, TN, Colorado, IL, etc. - all places I've lived and a UT education is known.  NFL, name a famous TCU player without research. I can't.

I'd slap the shit out of my son if he could go to UT or USC free and picked TCwho? 

As a current ATL resident I’m here to tell you, quality of degree doesn’t mean dick when it comes to quality of job you can find here…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It also didn't include multiple misspellings and missing words, so it lacked your dipshitted authenticity.

I watched this live as a kid with my father. It is one of the angriest moments of either of our lives, and my dad was once a very angry man. Fuck that motherfucking incident right in the fucking face. Fuck you for bringing it up, too. What's next? 1972 Olympic Basketball Finals? Christ.

Yeah that shit was the equivalent of calling Rodney King the winner vs LAPD…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

Are we talking about Sugar, Sugar

10 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

It vaguely pisses me off that this song, and the version in the Stars on 45 medley, are so likable. 

Andy Kim, the Canadian legend of swarthy descent, was (/is?) a genius.

It’s okay to love bubble gum music.

5 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Wasn’t a big Teófilo Stevenson fan.

(Look at autocorrect with the accented o!)

Dang we are old. 

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

It’ll blow your mind, but once upon a time the biggest boxing matches were on free TV. The end of that era was the end of the casual boxing fan in America…

This, however my father took me to a movie theatre once to see an Ali fight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

It’ll blow your mind, but once upon a time the biggest boxing matches were on free TV. The end of that era was the end of the casual boxing fan in America…

Yeah I don't think I've seen a live fight since pay per view became a thing.

2 hours ago, CTC2 said:

This, however my father took me to a movie theatre once to see an Ali fight. 

Watched Ingamar Johansson knock out Floyd Patterson at the picture show.

These were played around the country after the fights.  The only theater in out little town was packed.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Watched Ingamar Johansson knock out Floyd Patterson at the picture show.

These were played around the country after the fights.  The only theater in out little town was packed.  

That’s cool. What I went to was live and the first time I had seen the phrase “closed circuit” to describe the feed

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

That’s cool. What I went to was live and the first time I had seen the phrase “closed circuit” to describe the feed

We used to buy a keg for every Tyson fight and charge dudes $5 to watch and drink.  Girls were free.  It normally took care of the cable bill for that month at a minimum.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Someone should tell the bars and clubs. 

We were on the cutting edge, and happy to trim our bills down for the inconvenience of picking up a keg.  Plus the average Tyson fight lasted 5 minutes, everyone get bored and headed down to 6th.  Win.  Win.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

We used to buy a keg for every Tyson fight and charge dudes $5 to watch and drink.  Girls were free.  It normally took care of the cable bill for that month at a minimum.

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

We were on the cutting edge, and happy to trim our bills down for the inconvenience of picking up a keg.  Plus the average Tyson fight lasted 5 minutes, everyone get bored and headed down to 6th.  Win.  Win.

I was going to suggest that you should have charged $1/cup after the fight ended if there was any beer left because the fight lasted less than a minute to about 2-3 rounds. 

Those were some sporting events that you didn’t want to miss the start of.

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

We did that too. We’d get a keg of Keystone or Natural Light or some shit and then fraudulently put a Bud Light keg cap on there to class it up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Thanks for giving me credit for the whole 5 minutes.  

When I was in 7th grade our aggy coach was in charge of sex Ed. Someone asked him what was the longest amount of time anyone could have sex for. He immediately shot back 5 minutes as the absolute maximum and moved on to the next question.  He was totally serious. I laugh now thinking about that. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

When I was in 7th grade our aggy coach was in charge of sex Ed. Someone asked him what was the longest amount of time anyone could have sex for. He immediately shot back 5 minutes as the absolute maximum and moved on to the next question.  He was totally serious. I laugh now thinking about that. 

He wasn’t wrong. The sheep quickly lose interest. 

• Haha 6