Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I know a couple die hard tosu fans..  They aren't sold on Day, they feel Urban would have won them a title by now with the teams Day has had

This year will certainly tell us a lot more. I don't know if there are any players left that were recruited by Urban Meyer. If there are some, it can't be many. 

Meyer's last 4 classes, from 2015-2018, went 7-4-2-2. Day's classes from 2019-2023 go as follows: 16 (transitioning from Meyer removal fallout)-5-2-4-4. So recruiting hasn't really fallen off, at least in terms of how the sites view their classes, with Day at the helm. 

They lose Stroud, 3 OLs including a 1st rounder at LT, JSN, 2 DL starters and 3 starters in the secondary. They have 2 5 star QBs competing for the starting role and only one will make it to the fall. They return multiple stars at WR including Harrison Jr. They return both terrific TBs. They have multiple high picks playing defense for them. Burke and Tuimoloau are stars. 

They're not going to be light on talent, but they're not overwhelmingly loaded compared to Michigan. They get Wiscy and Minnesota from the B1G West and go to Notre Dame. 

They don't look like a CFP team with those losses and that schedule, but maybe they stay healthy on offense and the new QB is awesome like always. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I know a couple die hard tosu fans..  They aren't sold on Day, they feel Urban would have won them a title by now with the teams Day has had

They're right. Of their current staff, he's hired:

• Jim Knowles
  • Justin Frye, worked with Day at Temple
  • Tim Walton, Meyer's CB coach in Jville
  • Perry Eliano, coached corners for friend and former colleague Luke Fickell

Other than Knowles, these are comfort hires in his sphere, or at the recommendation of friends. And this is who he's hired and churned:

• Taver Johnson - Currently Safeties at EMU
  • Alex Grinch - Took a lateral job with a raise
  • Billy Davis - Coached Linebackers in the NFL, was not retained by Peterson in Philadelphia and spent 2 years because he lives in Ohio and had young kids. Back in the NFL now.
  • Kerry Coombs - Abject failure as DC, but Day was too nice to fire him
  • Jeff Hafley - The "we'll try anything to get the defense right" hire that lasted 1 season. Has driven a bad BC further into the abyss as HC
  • Yurcich - Passing game coordinator in name only, and QBs, has done a nice job since leaving as OC at pedo st
  • Greg Mattison - see Hafley, has retired from coaching
  • Al Washington - Linebackers, spent 3 years and took a lateral move to ND

The rest of the current staff includes Larry Johnson and Tony Alford, who are fOSU lifers not tied to Day, and Hartline who is using Day for as much legitimate resume building as he can. None of these three were hired by Day. That leaves Dennis - QBs, Fleming - ST, and Bailey - TEs. Each of these were analysts under Meyer. 

Other than Knowles, a demonstrably good hire, how has Day improved the program? He's brought in shitty coaches who don't stick around, or jammed a square peg in a round hole and failed. Aside from his well defined deficiencies as an actual in-game head coach, he has zero reputation for hiring and retaining good coaches which is imperative to building culture. It will be a slow decline until they finally let him go.

• Hook 'Em 3

So some of them think it was a bad choice to flip because the pathway to playing time would be easier at tcu,  and now some are crowing that the reason he flipped is because playing time would be easier at Texas. 

and their dbs aren’t afraid of not being the highest rated recruit at the position, but he is despite not being the highest rated recruit at the position at Texas. 

very aggyish takes going on over there. 

15 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

On the other hand, Ketch compared Roberson to Adrian Phillips on the livestream today.

Stop passing on hawt takes from that fat, greasy imbecile. It’s no different than telling us what you think a comp is, or talking about what you had for dinner last night. No one fucking cares and it detracts from the forum discussions. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

The different views of the fan bases are amazing.

TCU loses Roberson: "fuck him, I hope he sucks, and when he portals out, DON'T LET HIM IN."

Texas loses Evan Stewart to aggy: "Damn, he's probably gonna be good, but has a lot of baggage. Hope we can get him to portal out after a year."

Pretty funny honestly.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

TCU loses Roberson: "fuck him, I hope he sucks, and when he portals out, DON'T LET HIM IN."

Texas loses Evan Stewart to aggy: "Damn, he's probably gonna be good, but has a lot of baggage. Hope we can get him to portal out after a year."

Pretty funny honestly.

I seem to recall a lot more focus on calling evan a mercenary/idiot/a&m threw 750k at him.....in fact I don't recall this mature response to Evan's decision at all?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

26 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I seem to recall a lot more focus on calling evan a mercenary/idiot/a&m threw 750k at him.....in fact I don't recall this mature response to Evan's decision at all?

I wouldn't call the collective response to the decision "mature," at all. More about knowing why the decision was made and just hoping we could get him with another pass at him. My point was that they're so ready to immediately cast him off and block him from returning.

I have a simple analytical tool for looking at classes. Knowing that about half the 5 stars, nationwide, end up in the NFL, and about 1/4 of the four stars and 1/10 of the major college 3 stars do the same, I multiply those fractions times the number of recruits. This is a crude estimate of how many real difference makers we can expect from a class. If this 2023 class gives us eight or more difference makers, we scouted well or developed well, or both. If six or fewer, we underperformed. 

I reckon that we can expect about 14 from the 22 and 23 classes, which would put us where we would want to be. We’re just a little behind Bama, Georgia and tOSU over the last couple of years, and a little ahead of the Ags (but, just a little). 

I do have to mention- our 2015 and 16 classes yielded about 14-15 NFL players (depending on if Buechele ever makes it). It didn’t do enough for us because Strong and Herman couldn’t keep the moms going, because the difference makers often really developed after college (Brandon Jones) and none were huge stars (except the punter). 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Pretty funny honestly.

The big difference is that Roberson is considered a sub-top national 250 ON3 consensus & 247 composite low 4-star recruit, while Stewart was considered a 5-star recruit by all of the national recruiting sites. If Warren was considered a Consensus 5-star, I doubt TCU fans would be talking that nonsense about not letting Roberson to portal to them.

• Fuck You 2

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

His posting history makes a lot more sense if you consider the possibility that he is a Ketchum sock. We certainly know Ketch will go anywhere to steal information, and the guy is always pimping his podcast, livestream, and articles.

357 is the number of days a year he eats Ham, and the mailbox is a reference to the delivery service. Now that I'm typing this all out it feels so obvious. 

At this point, I’ve lost track of who all is verboten to quote besides the posters with a psychic themed name, Beetlejuice, and Ketch. Is there a tracking  list like the portal transfer one?

• Like 1

I have a simple analytical tool for looking at classes. Knowing that about half the 5 stars, nationwide, end up in the NFL, and about 1/4 of the four stars and 1/10 of the major college 3 stars do the same, I multiply those fractions times the number of recruits. This is a crude estimate of how many real difference makers we can expect from a class. If this 2023 class gives us eight or more difference makers, we scouted well or developed well, or both. If six or fewer, we underperformed. 

I reckon that we can expect about 14 from the 22 and 23 classes, which would put us where we would want to be. We’re just a little behind Bama, Georgia and tOSU over the last couple of years, and a little ahead of the Ags (but, just a little). 

I do have to mention- our 2015 and 16 classes yielded about 14-15 NFL players (depending on if Buechele ever makes it). It didn’t do enough for us because Strong and Herman couldn’t keep the moms going, because the difference makers often really developed after college (Brandon Jones) and none were huge stars (except the punter). 

giphy.gif
User name checks out.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Texas was already #3, but this created more separation.

ESPN did not like OSU's class, apparently. They had multiple players rated as 5 stars by individual services, but zero composite 5 stars. Honestly, this is a small class for them and their weakest in years on paper.

Saw on Klatt's show that BIG only had 1 5 star composite in the entire conference. image.png.39b2cf84a7c0a0f769ae342796a32ae1.png

I believe Klatt uses the 247 composite.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, statsman said:

I do have to mention- our 2015 and 16 classes yielded about 14-15 NFL players (depending on if Buechele ever makes it).

Eh, Buechele is rostered as QB3 so that he can't be poached off the practice squad. I don't know if that's making it, but he's on an active roster and probably the next QB2 when Henne moves on or hangs em up. It may not be nursing, but being Mahomes' backup is a pretty good job.

1 hour ago, statsman said:

100-1.webp.9eb5d7769617ae78ddfc5ed81e6debfe.webp

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, statsman said:

1 hour ago, CptnJiggleBits said:

100-1.webp.9eb5d7769617ae78ddfc5ed81e6debfe.webp

C4BC1F6F-A66F-4CD8-8C11-8DBE6F9AB997.png

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Good post to username correlation. 

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

This makes multiple times you have referenced listening to ketch’s live stream. Since we don’t see you sending clips making fun of him we can only assume you are doing so for entertainment. With that being the case, I won’t make fun of you like CTJ or Sydney…I just need to know who hurt you? Where did your life go wrong? Do you need a hug? Either way I’m praying for you and your recovery

You are on this website WAYYYYY to much to think we are that reasonable and calm. Don’t kid yourself, this is a website full of psychos ready to commit unspeakable crimes

If you are being forced to watch Ketch's livestream against your will, then we can help you out. Just post a dickbutt gif, and we'll send somebody to help.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

You are on this website WAYYYYY to much to think we are that reasonable and calm. Don’t kid yourself, this is a website full of psychos ready to commit unspeakable crimes

LOL, I mean you're not wrong, but also I was paraphrasing. Reasonable and calm? no we bitched about aggy bidding so high. But it was more of a "lets go get him in the portal next year," and not a "FUCK YOU, I LOVED YOU, DONT YOU DARE COME BACK."

52 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

LOL, I mean you're not wrong, but also I was paraphrasing. Reasonable and calm? no we bitched about aggy bidding so high. But it was more of a "lets go get him in the portal next year," and not a "FUCK YOU, I LOVED YOU, DONT YOU DARE COME BACK."

Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandiahigh quality GIFLarry Shrug GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Edited by TexasRenegade
  • Haha 3