Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

16 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Short CSB:

While I’ve always been a HF, Shag, Surly guy, one of my friends used to be a huge poster on OB. Then a few years ago he beat the ever living fuck out of Ketch and got banned for life. Dude is still a slave to the OB schtick tho. VPNs thru fucking Vietnam or some shit to get access.  That place is terrible. 

OB, not Vietnam 

Wild West Lol GIF by Justin Gammonham GIF

Keith Law (long time prospect guy for ESPN and now with The Athletic) did a chat last Friday and Duce came up. nothing new but lots of people have talked about him getting drafted potentially.

Jason: How much of a draft prospect is Duce Robinson, the outfielder from Arizona who is also a major football recruit?

Keith Law: Right now, I think his future is in football. Could change this spring when his season starts but it sounds like he’s way more talented there.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Was it a metaphorical beat down in a post/series of posts that left Geoffy in an above ground pool of tears, or an actual pummeling? Because I would presume trying to land a punch would be like hitting Baymax or the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, your fist would just sink deeper and deeper, then an elastic effect would send you to the other side of the room.

super-saiyan-goku-majin-buu-cpi2vzjtx2k6

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Waiting for some asshole to post as brooks brothers suit and say he beat the crap out of suchomel

How big of a boy is your boy?  Though ketch does t strike me as a fighter 

He’s like 6’2 or so. He’s just a Marine that can handle himself in a certain manner if needed. He once destroyed some big dude at Lizzards in Houston for commenting on his pink shirt. But he did it like 2 hours after the comment was made. Just walked up to him 2 hours later and informed the dude that he was going to get his ass kicked. Then delivered. Motherfucker loses a lot of money betting on the Horns (any sport). Never met a line he didn’t think we’d crush. 

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread. I’ll try to get him on here. He’s a solid guy. He’s in therapy now :)

Edited by Gucci_Suit
  • Hook 'Em 5

20 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

He’s like 6’2 or so. He’s just a Marine that can handle himself in a certain manner if needed. He once destroyed some big dude at Lizzards in Houston for commenting on his pink shirt. But he did it like 2 hours after the comment was made. Just walked up to him 2 hours later and informed the dude that he was going to get his ass kicked. Then delivered. Motherfucker loses a lot of money betting on the Horns (any sport). Never met a line he didn’t think we’d crush. 

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread. I’ll try to get him on here. He’s a solid guy. He’s in therapy now :)

What was his handle on OB?

49 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Sounds like a pussy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Assaults guys for insulting the color of is t shirt. Sounds like a great guy!

• Haha 4

On 2/9/2023 at 8:10 PM, Vito Andolini said:

Was it a metaphorical beat down in a post/series of posts that left Geoffy in an above ground pool of tears, or an actual pummeling? Because I would presume trying to land a punch would be like hitting Baymax or the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, your fist would just sink deeper and deeper, then an elastic effect would send you to the other side of the room.

DimpledPeacefulGoshawk-size_restricted.g

On 2/9/2023 at 6:07 PM, Reese Bennett said:

If this guy can learn to direct his ginger energy we may have a star.

LOL @ the reaction from the other guy 

• Haha 3

On 2/4/2023 at 2:28 PM, Ignatius said:

It’ll blow your mind, but once upon a time the biggest boxing matches were on free TV. The end of that era was the end of the casual boxing fan in America…

That is so true. I was a casual fan and could name maybe 7 or 8 top heavyweight boxers. I have no idea who the heavyweight champion is today. Prior to my memory, TV had Friday Night Fights which had a large audience if I'm not mistaken.

I wonder how many young fighters opt for UFC because of this situation.

Olympic boxing wasn't really a thing in general, but the US had a couple of really good teams. That led ABC to cover it and you had Howard Cossell doing the announcing. It was entertaining and you watched Americans win a lot. 

You used to see a lot of things during the Olympic coverage. High jumping, pole vaulting, relays. Watching today, you might not know that the whole thing started as a track and field event. I liked watching that stuff every four years.

Now it's wall to wall coverage of swimming (because we're good at it) and women's gymnastics. I don't watch the Olympics anymore. The winter Olympics is all fucking skating.

Holy shit. I just wrote about the Olympics on the recruiting thread. When do I receive my Truly Surly certificate? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That is so true. I was a casual fan and could name maybe 7 or 8 top heavyweight boxers. I have no idea who the heavyweight champion is today. Prior to my memory, TV had Friday Night Fights which had a large audience if I'm not mistaken.

Olympic boxing wasn't really a thing in general, but the US had a couple of really good teams. That led ABC to cover it and you had Howard Cossell doing the announcing. It was entertaining and you watched Americans win a lot. 

You used to see a lot of things during the Olympic coverage. High jumping, pole vaulting, relays. Watching today, you might not know that the whole thing started as a track and field event. I liked watching that stuff every four years.

Now it's wall to wall coverage of swimming (because we're good at it) and women's gymnastics. I don't watch the Olympics anymore. The winter Olympics is all fucking skating.

Holy shit. I just wrote about the Olympics on the recruiting thread. When do I receive my Truly Surly certificate? 

I’ve come to the conclusion that Olympic coverage, on TV, is about what is the easiest and cheapest sport to film. It isn’t about what sports people actually want to see. It’s all about profit margin. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Hey I like wall-to-wall swimming coverage!

In all honesty, I agree with you, the networks just show events where the US might win gold instead of treating it as a festival of sport and the world coming together, which is the more fun aspect imo. I still remember that Czech snowboarding girl winning a skiing gold medal on borrowed skis more clearly than almost any American winning an event they were favored in.

Track usually gets plenty of coverage, it suffers from coming in the second week of the Games, when everyone's starting to get a little numb to it, and US men's team eating shit in Tokyo.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 2/11/2023 at 9:22 AM, Moderator said:

Someone should advise them better, boxers make way more money. 

Screenshot 2023-02-11 092037.png

I'm a pro-labor guy, but even for a throw away event, first fight contractual fighters in the UFC make something like $12,000 to show, additional $12,000 for a win, and potentially a $50,000 performance bonus. 'Boxing' doesn't pay that.

Carry on.

1 hour ago, JohnnyRage said:

I'm a pro-labor guy, but even for a throw away event, first fight contractual fighters in the UFC make something like $12,000 to show, additional $12,000 for a win, and potentially a $50,000 performance bonus. 'Boxing' doesn't pay that.

Carry on.

UFC is the big league of MMA though, it’s not like that’s your starting money for MMA in general. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyRage said:

Carry on.

No Boxing doesn't pay that.  UFC is the pinnacle of MMA.  They have about 600 fighters under contract at any given time.  Roughly 40% of those make 6 figures a year (250). No top 250 list for boxers, but the #99 boxer makes about 200k a fight and #100 (fights in more popular weight class) made 500k in his last fight.  I'd be surprised if the #250 ranked boxer made less than the #250 ranked UFC fighter.  Might be possible, but doubtful.  Yes if you compare a first time UFC fighter to a first time boxer the UFC fighter would make more, but that is likely not the first pro fight that MMA fighter has fought.  If anything an MMA fighter on the way up and a boxer on the way up earn about the same.  Once they start getting on PPVs, etc... the boxers earning potential is way more.  

• Hook 'Em 1