Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

24 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

"Here's the breakdown by stars, according to 247Sports.com: Five-star: 19. Four-star: 73. Three-star: 110."

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-recruiting-rankings-why-recruiting-matters-college-football-146512831/

That's from 2020 draft. For some context on those numbers. Not scientific, but they did average the 2016/2017 recruiting classes, which is where the majority of the draft picks came from.

Five-star: 30 (62.3%)
Four-star: 311 (23.5%)
Three-star: 1,831 (6%)
Two-Star: 1,949 (1.6%)
Not Ranked: NA

So 19 out of 30 five-stars were drafted. 110 out of 1831 three-stars .

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-recruiting-rankings-why-recruiting-matters-college-football-146512831/

That's from 2020 draft. For some context on those numbers. Not scientific, but they did average the 2016/2017 recruiting classes, which is where the majority of the draft picks came from.

Five-star: 30 (62.3%)
Four-star: 311 (23.5%)
Three-star: 1,831 (6%)
Two-Star: 1,949 (1.6%)
Not Ranked: NA

So 19 out of 30 five-stars were drafted. 110 out of 1831 three-stars .

are you saying that 62.3% is larger than 6%?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For Texas in 2015/2016 we had a total of 1 Five Star, 29 Four Stars, 21 Three Stars signed

Of those, here's who was drafted:

Connor Williams 3-Star
Malik Jefferson 5-Star
Michael Dickson UR
DeShon Elliott  4-Star
Charles Omenihu 3-Star
Kris Boyd 4-Star
Brandon Jones 4-Star
Devin Duvernay 4-Star
Collin Johnson 4-Star

5-Star - 100%

4-Star - 17%

3-Star - 9%

10 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

For Texas in 2015/2016 we had a total of 1 Five Star, 29 Four Stars, 21 Three Stars signed

Of those, here's who was drafted:

Connor Williams 3-Star
Malik Jefferson 5-Star
Michael Dickson UR
DeShon Elliott  4-Star
Charles Omenihu 3-Star
Kris Boyd 4-Star
Brandon Jones 4-Star
Devin Duvernay 4-Star
Collin Johnson 4-Star

5-Star - 100%

4-Star - 17%

3-Star - 9%

I fucked up and calculated 2015/2016 , where 247 did 2016/2017, but now I'm too lazy to go back and do more. Basically, the point is that for those two classes, we were near the trend line for overall numbers. Small sample size caveat applies.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://247sports.com/player/tony-mitchell-46080231/

Did not include Texas in his top 5.  aggy heads were exploding when the 247 guys reported Texas was getting an OV.  They were sure that he was misheard and said he was 'coming to Texas' and meant that he was coming to visit A&M.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1

Touted OL Connor Stroh talks top five schools
STEVE WILTFONG

(We're getting the last visit.)

Spoiler

Touted OL Connor Stroh talks top five schools
STEVE WILTFONG

Frisco (Texas) Wakeland offensive tackle Connor Stroh dropped his top five on Friday, telling 247Sports the program’s he’s strongly considering moving forward are “Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Florida and Auburn.

“All of the campuses and facilities are amazing,” Stroh continued. “Top-notch education and very engaged fan bases. So, for me, it comes down to coaching and transparency about how I would fit into their programs. Of course, there are schools I had to eliminate that I really liked and bonded incredibly well with the coaches, but in the end, I had to go with my gut feeling about where I am a good fit in their program. I will play where I am needed on the line, of course, but I want to be developed across the line.”

The 6-foot-6 1/2, 345-pound Stroh elaborated on his finalists.

“My top five has two groups, three schools that I have been able to visit multiple times and really get to know and two that stayed in because they peaked my interest enough to make me want to learn more. The first three are Texas, Texas A&M and Arkansas. The other two are Florida and Auburn. Both Auburn and Florida made me feel very welcome and wanted so it comes down to fire in the offensive line room from the coaches and those two programs have it.

“I think every one knew that if the Texas A&M offer came in they would get a close look just due to history. I grew up around A&M football but I am still getting to know the staff and especially Coach Addazio but no one can deny they seem to be doing the right things especially with the class they just signed.

“Texas, Kyle Flood! I have a great relationship with him and I think he is very good at what he does and that is build o-lines around guys that look like me. I hear from him often and I know that I am important and wanted by him and the entire program.

“Arkansas, similarly, Sam Pittman and Cody Kennedy! They are amazing o-line focused coaches who are not afraid to shape me and have been clear that they don't care about my size - it is my responsibility to work to be able to do what the offense needs me to do. I will get a shot at tackle and guard. Their track record speaks for itself.”

Stroh has five official visits planned. Auburn will be the weekend of May 20, Florida will be the first weekend of June, Arkansas the second weekend, Texas A&M the third weekend and Texas the last weekend of June.

Connor Stroh details Top 5 with decision date in mind

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Connor Stroh details Top 5 with decision date in mind

Mike Roach

Connor Stroh is ready to enter the final chapter of his recruitment.

The three-star offensive tackle from Frisco (Texas) Wakeland released his five finalists today. Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Auburn and Florida made the cut of schools he will officially visit before making a decision. Stroh spoke with Horns247 to detail why each school made it to the final round.

Texas: "Kyle Flood. He's most of the reason. He's a great man and he's the one who took the time to search me out and offer me first. I also like Austin a lot. I love coach Sark a lot too. He and coach Flood are similar, and I like both of them. The rest of the coaching staff seems to be very close together. Austin is a great city and I saw a lot at the spring game. I think they are looking good."

Texas A&M: "They were latest in my recruiting process, but my whole family went there. My mom and dad and my aunt and uncle went there, so I'm very familiar with A&M. I'm going to give them a chance because I think they deserve it. Obviously, I'm a legacy, but that does not mean I'm choosing A&M. A lot of people think that, but that's not true. I am excited to take a deeper look into them though."

Arkansas: "Coach Kennedy and coach Pittman. Coach Pittman is an o-line coach and he's an amazing man. I've gotten to know him a whole lot more over the last few months. Coach Kennedy is obviously a great coach and I love him a lot too. Also, I really like Fayetteville. It was surprising to me. It's a beautiful town and a great college town. Also the fans there. The fans are the most positive I've ever seen."

Auburn: "I really like coach Friend and coach Benardi. I think they are two well-regarded and seasoned offensive line coaches. I think they are doing good there. I like the way coach Harsin coaches and I got to see it at their spring practice. It goes without being said that all of these places have great facilities."

Florida: "I didn't get as much time with Florida, but what I got from them I liked a lot. Coach Sale and coach Singleton are great. Them having two full-time offensive line coaches is amazing. It provides even more options to choose from when you need help. Obviously, coach Napier is a great down-to-earth guy. I think he's going to turn the progam around. They are brand new, and I think that's really exciting. That's part of the reason they made it too. Right now, the only way they can go is up."

Stroh has his five visits scheduled out through May and June. He's looking to make a decision during the summer after he takes all of his trips.

At 6-foot-6.5, 345 pounds, Stroh is ranked as the No. 27 offensive tackle in the nation and No. 61 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Just now, TheMailBox357 said:

I don't have a problem with this. I doubt Greathouse would've even been a priority for UT if he wasn't a local Austin Westlake kid.

There too many in-state WRs ahead of Greathouse as a prospect.

Niblett jumping on board early seems to have really changed things with WR numbers.

Top247 WR Johntay Cook talks about his top five schools
STEVE WILTFONG

Excerpts re: the Aggies -

“If you’ve ever been to College Station you know the city is fun .. " (Yeah ... )

"The coaching staff they’re legit. .... I feel like you will get developed at A&M." (The Aggies haven't had a receiver drafted in the last 4 drafts, since Jimbo Fisher, Esq. arrived in the "City of Fun".)

Spoiler

Top247 WR Johntay Cook talks about his top five schools
STEVE WILTFONG

DeSoto (Texas) High Top247 2023 receiver Johntay Cook II is one of the more sought-after prospects in the country and on Sunday the blue-chipper announced a top five. The programs he’s highest on are Florida, Jackson State, Michigan, Texas and Texas A&M.

“It’s been a long road but me and my parents, we sat down and talked about who was wanting me and where I was a top priority and best fit, and the relationship with the coaches and culture of the school, that’s how I came to these five.”

Moving forward, Cook said he plans to line up some official visits for June and beyond that does not have a timetable for a college decision.

“Whenever the time is right,” he said of that eventual commitment.

In the meantime, the the big-time playmaker who’s turned 81 receptions into 29 touchdowns over the last two seasons elaborated on each of his finalists.

Regarding the Gators: “I’ve been talking to Florida for a minute. Me and Coach KC, he was at SC before Florida and we had a good relationship. I was probably going to visit SC if he was still out there. Florida is definitely a school I’ve been wanting to check out and the relationship with Coach Colbert definitely played a big role.”

Regarding the Wolverines: “I wouldn’t say they just came onto the scene, I was talking to Coach Gattis before he went to Miami. We were building a great relationship but two weeks into it he said Johntay I’m at Miami now. I’m like dang coach. Coach Bellamy the new receivers coach started reaching out to me nonstop and we started building a relationship and I want to get out there and see it.”

Regarding the Tigers: “HBCU, had to show the culture some love. (Coach Sanders) is doing great things, those guys over there at Jackson State. I have a little bit of a connection with family at Jackson State. I feel like I was obligated to check them out and give them a chance.”

Regarding the Longhorns: “Texas is pretty much home away from home. I love the city of Austin. Love the coaching staff. I love Coach Sark’s offense. I can see myself putting up big numbers in that offense. What’s not to love about UT? It’s premier college football when you think about Texas football.”

Regarding the Aggies: “If you’ve ever been to College Station you know the city is fun, everybody is into the football team. The coaching staff they’re legit. It’s a family environment. I feel like you will get developed at A&M. I feel like they’re on the come up. When I’m in college I feel like A&M is going to win a Natty whether I’m there or not.”

The Top247 ranks Cook as the nation's No. 6 receiver and No. 45 prospect overall.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I don't have a problem with this. I doubt Greathouse would've even been a priority for UT if he wasn't a local Austin Westlake kid.

There too many in-state WRs ahead of Greathouse as a prospect.

I hope Marion makes a big difference here, but we say this all the time until we miss out on almost all of the top WRs and end up signing guys like Casey Cain and Savion Red.

https://www.on3.com/news/four-star-cb-malik-muhammad-sets-return-visit-to-texas/

DALLAS — Malik Muhammad, the nation’s No. 2 cornerback in the country on On3, already has his next visit to the Forty Acres locked in.

Texas will host the elite in-state defensive back out of Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff for a weekend unofficial visit, Muhammad tells On3. Muhammad is one of the nation’s best players regardless of position. He’s tabbed as the No. 45 recruit overall on the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies.

Muhammad recently named the Longhorns to his final six and noted that the defense has the tools to be really productive this season.

“I feel like their offense, with Sark as offensive coordinator, is gonna be rolling no matter what,” he told On3. “They have the right pieces on defense to be a good team. The whole staff was out here Tuesday for practice and hit me up to tell me they were all impressed.”

Members of the Texas staff visited South Oak Cliff last Tuesday as the defending state champions kicked off their spring practice. Members of the staff have since reached out to Muhammad to rave about the 6-foot, 175-pound corner, who is currently balancing spring football with track.

Texas A&M; Miami; Michigan; Alabama and Florida also round out Muhammad’s final five.

“All six are coming full fledge,” Muhammad told On3.

• Hook 'Em 1