Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

I guess that means we are pushing?

McGuire is doing a really good job with him and the family. If we do a full court press though we should get him. Means he needs to get paid though. Dont know where he is on that pecking order. 

Just now, Barbacoa said:

McGuire is doing a really good job with him and the family. If we do a full court press though we should get him. Means he needs to get paid though. Dont know where he is on that pecking order. 

I think it was mention a while back that he wasn’t thrilled with the idea of staying close to home and going to Tech. Maybe that’s changed though.

Edited by Hookem2147

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think it was mention a while back that he wasn’t thrilled with the idea of staying close to home and going to Tech. Maybe that’s changed though.

Yea its the opposite. Staying close to home is a big part of the Tech pitch and he's liking it. Mom likes it too.

On 5/1/2022 at 1:11 PM, TheMailBox357 said:

I don't have a problem with this. I doubt Greathouse would've even been a priority for UT if he wasn't a local Austin Westlake kid.

There too many in-state WRs ahead of Greathouse as a prospect.

Another ND crystal ball for Jaden Greathouse:

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, AP101S said:

UL thinks they can get Moore for $150K (scales up annually). Seems like a bargain for a top 60 player.

Shit, Texas can have me for free tickets. But, get this shit. They want me to donate to the Foundation and they want me to pay them money for crappy seats. I think I am going to enter the portal.

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Shit, Texas can have me for free tickets. But, get this shit. They want me to donate to the Foundation and they want me to pay them money for crappy seats. I think I am going to enter the portal.

How else are they gonna pay for Coach Choate's pay raise?

• Rage+1 2

58 minutes ago, Bevo said:

They'll throw Pluckers coupons at you until you come back.

• Haha 1

Mike at Night: Out of state visitor coming in this week, how NIL is changing the sport 

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Out of state visitor coming in this week, how NIL is changing the sport 

Mike Roach

— Texas will host Spanaway Lake (WA.) cornerback Jasiah Wagoner this week. I wrote at length about Wagoner after seeing him at the Battle 7v7 Las Vegas tournament in February. Wagoner's camp informed me over the weekend that they'd be in town on May 5 and he will see Oklahoma on May 6. Wagoner has a link to the program in analyst Joey Thomas who is originally from the Seattle area. Wagoner is the type of talent who could play a few different positions, and Texas could jump into a more prominent place in his recruitment with a good visit.

— Brennan Marion was in Dallas today and spent the day at Desoto seeing priority wide receiver Johntay Cook. It may not seem like much, but I think it speaks volumes that both times this spring that Marion visited Desoto he dedicated his entire day to being there. Marion was in Houston last week and will see Jaden Greathouse and Kyle Parker this week as well. 

— Speaking of Parker, he recently visited Austin for the spring game. I caught up with him today and he's working on setting up official visits. Louisville already has one locked in, and Parker said that Penn State and Texas are the other schools that should get trips. He's looking to make a decision in the summer. Texas also recently hosted his teammate 2024 Lovejoy linebacker Payton Pierce. It sounds like the trip went very well and Jeff Choate's approach resonated with one of the top linebackers in the nation. Oklahoma recently offered which was special for Pierce as well and Arkansas is making a big push for him as well. He likely won't make a decision until a year from now.

— There has been a lot of national discussion regarding the way NIL and the Transfer Portal is changing the sport of college football. I can tell you that on the inside there is a lot of frustration from staffers who are now in a place where they have to navigate foreign waters and protect their own players from getting poached. While those staffers aren't opposed to players receiving compensation for their work, but there's a frustration with the NCAA for the way they implemented these policies. The bottom line is that the NCAA knew this day was coming and instead of working to get ahead of it and codify some aspects of it, they released it as a free-for-all leaving the conferences and programs to deal with it on their own. We heard in the past that older coaches like Urban Meyer didn't want to return to the NCAA because of these new policies and the way they are changing the sport. I think we will see more and more coaches and recruiting staffers leave the college realm because of this. Texas is starting to feel the pinch as some schools have come after the top-end talent on the roster. Jahdae Barron is one of those players rumored to be considering a transfer for a lucrative NIL deal, there was also talk that Xavier Worthy was approached though Texas was able to shut that down. From what I was told, Worthy never seriously considered it himself and appears to be all-in on this program.

— There are also questions about the sustainability of this strategy. From a roster-building standpoint, the NFL has shown that building through the draft is the best way to ensure success. Will that be different at the NCAA level where players have much shorter timelines and teams can rise suddenly? There's also a question of if this money will dry up if schools see a string of portal players not live up to expectations. It's a brand new world we live in and everyone is trying to adjust on the fly. It's also hard to blame these players with some of the figures being thrown about.

• Hook 'Em 1

Chad Simmons - Arch

As we roll into May, a lot of eyes are on Five–Star Plus+ quarterback Arch Manning. The No. 1 prospect in the On3 Consensus has not committed, he has not released a public list of favorites, he has not scheduled any official visits, and there are still many questions on where he stands with his recruitment.

What we know is, that the 6-foot-4, 215-pound junior out of New Orleans Isidore Newman is a special talent that likes to keep his recruitment to himself. While he doesn’t have a timeline for a commitment and he’s focused on spring practices through May 20, sources say most of the puzzle pieces in his recruitment are already in place and just a few pieces are left before it’s completed.

Contenders for Arch Manning

Arch Manning has not publicly eliminated any schools. But the most buzz centers on Alabama, Georgia, and Texas for the talented signal-caller. Manning returned to each campus this spring and remains in contact with coaches from each staff.

When talking to different sources close to this recruitment, I have started to hear more about Georgia and Texas. Alabama is still Alabama — and Nick Saban, Bill O’Brien and Pete Golding have all been involved — but there has been a little more chatter around the Bulldogs and Longhorns in recent weeks.

When examining those two programs, I am told the Mannings see two different opportunities.

One source told me, the Mannings view Kirby Smart as a personable head coach. Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken and offensive quality control staffer Buster Faulkner have build a good relationship with Manning through the process. The city of Athens is view as a fantastic college town by Manning as well.

One intriguing aspect surrounding Texas for Manning is the possibility of building a blue-blood program back to the top of college football. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian also being the offensive coordinator Arch would work with is also viewed as a positive.

“It is two great programs being looked at in two different ways,” a source.

Again, Alabama is still viewed as a contender. There is some talk about Eli Holstein, the former Texas A&M commit, with the Crimson Tide, too. On3’s Sam Spiegelman has placed a prediction for Alabama to land Holstein on the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine.

Florida trying to become a factor

A school outside those three that I hear could get a visit is Florida. Billy Napier had great success at Louisiana Lafayette before taking over in Gainesville, and the communication has been there with Arch Manning.

Nothing is scheduled and it wouldn’t happen until after spring practice ends, but a visit to the Swamp has been discussed.

“Just the curiosity of Florida and what Napier has done is intriguing,” a source said of why a trip to see the Gators is possible.

All possibilities still on table for Manning

A commitment timeline for Manning is unknown at this time. It is also unknown if he will take official visits before committing to a program.

It appears that a lot of things are being discussed behind the scenes on what the right fit is for the top prospect in the country. He watched the NFL draft. Manning knows the history at these schools. He and multiple coaches on each staff have developed relationships.

A tough decision will be made — and it will come down to the little things.

“All the schools they are looking at are great options,” a source said. “Arch has a good feel for the people, the towns, the staffs, and he is trying to widdle it down that last little bit to make a call that he feels good about.

“He is going to take as long as he needs to get to that point.”

Important factor in Manning’s decision

Stability is one thing I have heard mentioned numerous times by a couple of different people close to this with Arch Manning.

Saban is not going anywhere until he wants to step away from Tuscaloosa. Smart is coming off a national title at his alma mater. He is expected to be in Athens as long as he wants to be there. Sarkisian is coming up on year two in Austin. He is hoping to bring the winning culture back to Texas in the years to come.

How does Arch Manning separate one from the other? If stability is one of the most important factors, which one fits Manning?

“He can’t get too wrapped up in the personnel each school has right now because it won’t be there when he gets there,” a source said. “They want the feel to be remotely similar when Arch gets there to what it’s like now as he visits. So, I do think stability will be a major factor in the decision.

“So many things will play into this.”

Sam Spiegleman - Deal 

Markis Deal has continued to explore several of his options as we delve into the latter portion of the spring.

So far, the No. 28 overall player on On3 has made visits to Texas, USC and Oklahoma. Deal is currently lining up official visits and hopes to have a decision in place before Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest opens the season.

“I got to figure out official visits and figure out a top five. I’ll go see them and make a decision before the season starts,” Deal outlined to On3.

Both Texas and USC are all but locks to receive official visits from Deal, sources close to his recruitment tell On3. Additionally, Alabama and Georgia are both in the mix for official visits.

Oregon, too, trending is for an official visit.

NIL is becoming an increasingly significant part of the equation for Deal, sources tell On3. A family-oriented kid, Deal is putting an emphasis on his family’s ability to watch him play each Saturday.

Texas has a unique edge because of geography and USC took a major step in that department during his April trip to campus, according to sources.

New Recruiting Prediction Machine pick

Deal took spring visits to Oklahoma, USC and Texas. As it stands today, one of those schools checks multiple boxes for the elite offensive lineman.

I’ve entered an On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine pick in favor of the Longhorns, which is routinely mentioned as a three-hour drive to Austin for his family. Additionally, Deal — the No. 5-rated interior offensive lineman on the On3 Consensus — is leaning toward playing defensive line in college.

Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis has spearheaded the charge for the in-state lineman and is a favorite of Deal. The most recent trip to the Forty Acres left a strong impression on Deal entering this phase of his recruitment.

“It was great being back out there. I hung out with Coach Bo Davis a lot, sat in on his meetings, saw how he coaches and how he interacts with his players and how they feed off his energy,” Deal told On3. “The practice was great. The D-line is great. They’re the best thing out there. They’re the main point in the defense and that was great to see.”

Deal is the No. 85 player in the country on the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

“It was great being back out there. I hung out with Coach Bo Davis a lot, sat in on his meetings, saw how he coaches and how he interacts with his players and how they feed off his energy,” Deal told On3. “The practice was great. The D-line is great. They’re the best thing out there. They’re the main point in the defense and that was great to see.”

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Octavian said:

spacer.png

My interpretation ... he says that because of the sentiment expressed in the next sentence, relative to other position groups.  ("They’re the main point in the defense and that was great to see.”)

• Hook 'Em 1

All the schools they are looking at are great options,” a source said. “Arch has a good feel for the people, the towns, the staffs, and he is trying to widdle it down that last little bit to make a call that he feels good about.

I often like to leisurely widdle on my front porch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Chad Simmons - Arch

As we roll into May, a lot of eyes are on Five–Star Plus+ quarterback Arch Manning. The No. 1 prospect in the On3 Consensus has not committed, he has not released a public list of favorites, he has not scheduled any official visits, and there are still many questions on where he stands with his recruitment.

What we know is, that the 6-foot-4, 215-pound junior out of New Orleans Isidore Newman is a special talent that likes to keep his recruitment to himself. While he doesn’t have a timeline for a commitment and he’s focused on spring practices through May 20, sources say most of the puzzle pieces in his recruitment are already in place and just a few pieces are left before it’s completed.

Contenders for Arch Manning

Arch Manning has not publicly eliminated any schools. But the most buzz centers on Alabama, Georgia, and Texas for the talented signal-caller. Manning returned to each campus this spring and remains in contact with coaches from each staff.

When talking to different sources close to this recruitment, I have started to hear more about Georgia and Texas. Alabama is still Alabama — and Nick Saban, Bill O’Brien and Pete Golding have all been involved — but there has been a little more chatter around the Bulldogs and Longhorns in recent weeks.

When examining those two programs, I am told the Mannings see two different opportunities.

One source told me, the Mannings view Kirby Smart as a personable head coach. Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken and offensive quality control staffer Buster Faulkner have build a good relationship with Manning through the process. The city of Athens is view as a fantastic college town by Manning as well.

One intriguing aspect surrounding Texas for Manning is the possibility of building a blue-blood program back to the top of college football. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian also being the offensive coordinator Arch would work with is also viewed as a positive.

“It is two great programs being looked at in two different ways,” a source.

Again, Alabama is still viewed as a contender. There is some talk about Eli Holstein, the former Texas A&M commit, with the Crimson Tide, too. On3’s Sam Spiegelman has placed a prediction for Alabama to land Holstein on the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine.

Florida trying to become a factor

A school outside those three that I hear could get a visit is Florida. Billy Napier had great success at Louisiana Lafayette before taking over in Gainesville, and the communication has been there with Arch Manning.

Nothing is scheduled and it wouldn’t happen until after spring practice ends, but a visit to the Swamp has been discussed.

“Just the curiosity of Florida and what Napier has done is intriguing,” a source said of why a trip to see the Gators is possible.

All possibilities still on table for Manning

A commitment timeline for Manning is unknown at this time. It is also unknown if he will take official visits before committing to a program.

It appears that a lot of things are being discussed behind the scenes on what the right fit is for the top prospect in the country. He watched the NFL draft. Manning knows the history at these schools. He and multiple coaches on each staff have developed relationships.

A tough decision will be made — and it will come down to the little things.

“All the schools they are looking at are great options,” a source said. “Arch has a good feel for the people, the towns, the staffs, and he is trying to widdle it down that last little bit to make a call that he feels good about.

“He is going to take as long as he needs to get to that point.”

Important factor in Manning’s decision

Stability is one thing I have heard mentioned numerous times by a couple of different people close to this with Arch Manning.

Saban is not going anywhere until he wants to step away from Tuscaloosa. Smart is coming off a national title at his alma mater. He is expected to be in Athens as long as he wants to be there. Sarkisian is coming up on year two in Austin. He is hoping to bring the winning culture back to Texas in the years to come.

How does Arch Manning separate one from the other? If stability is one of the most important factors, which one fits Manning?

“He can’t get too wrapped up in the personnel each school has right now because it won’t be there when he gets there,” a source said. “They want the feel to be remotely similar when Arch gets there to what it’s like now as he visits. So, I do think stability will be a major factor in the decision.

“So many things will play into this.”

"Stability" is an interesting one with those 3 schools. Kirby obviously ain't going anywhere. Saban might retire. Sark is the least stable HC. BUT it's the reverse for OCs. Monken and BOB won't be around for more than a year or two, while Sark is the OC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

"Stability" is an interesting one with those 3 schools. Kirby obviously ain't going anywhere. Saban might retire. Sark is the least stable HC. BUT it's the reverse for OCs. Monken and BOB won't be around for more than a year or two, while Sark is the OC. 

My bet is Monken and BoB are both gone after this season. Monken almost left last year, and BoB would have too if anyone would have him. 

8 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

I'm guessing we have no shot here but will recruit him like we do because there's a chance he could be induced into the portal at some point. It'll be interesting to watch how much time the coaches spend on relationship building with recruits who won't initially come to Texas.

On 5/3/2022 at 12:13 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Texas has a unique edge because of geography and USC took a major step in that department during his April trip to campus, according to sources.

I'm sorry, what? Did they physically move USC to Texas back in April? Guessing it's meant to read Texas both times? Even then saying a program took a "major step in that [geography]" makes no fucking sense. 

I'm too baked for this 

• Haha 2

Eric Nahlin's class prediction

Spoiler

Summer should heat up in more ways than one, but much of June/July recruiting momentum could be dependent on whether or not Arch Manning picks Texas. If Manning doesn’t decide by the end of June, they’ll likely try and work in reverse to aggressively close more offensive prospects, including linemen, in an effort to get Manning across the finish line.

If Manning selects Georgia, or less likely Alabama, then I’ll scrap this list and reassess. The class could still finish strong, even very strong, but that would require a quality season and a whirlwind finish even more frenetic than last cycle.

(asterisk denotes already committed, not Aggie “success”)

QB Arch Manning — We’ll be watching to see if he feels the need to take June official visits. He could be in Austin June 24-26, with a trip to Athens the weekend before also possible. Clearly I’m still picking Texas to win out and that influences some of these other unofficial predictions.

RB Rueben Owens — Seems to be a three team race between UT, A&M, and Georgia. He’ll take an official visit to Georgia June 18-20 and will likely use his for Texas for the Alabama game. I wouldn’t rule him out visiting Austin in June, however.

RB Tre Wisner* — My No. 3 back in the state but still one of the best in the country. Finds the crease and gets vertical in the run game. Tashard Choice sent a message he’s not playing around.

WR Ryan Niblett* — Speed and scheme fit are the descriptors here. Brennan Marion did the same thing Choice did.

WR Johntay Cook — Texas would still have a chance even if it missed on Arch, but let’s not find out. Probably the top receiver in the state based on junior tape.

WR Jaquaize Pettaway — Pettaway can be difficult to get a read on, and with Niblett in the class, plus remaining in good position for Cook, one wonders if they stay aggressive on Jaden Greathouse because he offers a different dimension. It’s tough to leave Greathouse off this list, but looking at scheme fits, both Pettaway’s at Texas and Greathouse’s at Notre Dame, I’ll make the tough call.

WR Jonah Wilson — By no means am I ruling out Jalen Hale, the staff is just in a better spot with Wilson and he’s become a bigger target since Marion’s arrival.

TE Will Randle — I think it’s likely he’ll decide before his teammate Arch, and perhaps this month.

TE Spencer Shannon — Shannon will take his official visit June 10-12 and at last check Lafayette Kaiuway had not set up his official visit to Texas, while he has one planned to North Carolina, where he’s originally from and still has family.

OL Harris Sewell — Land Arch and I really like UT’s chances. In addition to Texas, Sewell also likes A&M and the usual national suspects.

OL Jaydon Chatman — The early offer really helps but also the school sets up well for the family.

OL Andre Cojoe — We’ve had him on commitment watch at various times and likely will again in June.

OL Connor Stroh — It’s a difficult call between Stroh and Ian Reed. Although he’s an A&M legacy and the Aggies just offered, I went with Stroh because of how hard Flood has worked this recruitment while A&M was much slower to offer. Meanwhile, Reed may prefer to take more time to decide and he seems more open to going out of state.

OL/DL Markis Deal — I can also see Zalance Heard in the class, and he might be more of a lean than Deal at this time, but things often get weird in Louisiana late in the cycle.

DL Dylan Spencer* — Long kid with more upside than his rating suggests.

DL Avion Carter — I know he liked UT early on and the staff is a fan of his junior tape, but this is more of a placeholder as things aren’t running very hot at the moment. I expect the coaches to shoot for the stars at DL/DE/Edge and the numbers could be somewhat interchangeable.

DT Terrance Green — An IT favorite, Green’s best position is OT but he can more than get by at IDL thanks to length and bend. He’s a guy coaches should want in the class regardless.

DT Samu Taumanupepe — They need a big nose tackle in the class and I’m not liking their chances for Sydir Mitchell. Samu’s listed because I needed a name for the fit. Expect the staff to cast a wider net.

Edge Braylan Shelby — We’re watching USC closely. Ultra-high upside and great body type.

LB/Edge Derion Gullette — More of an Edge than linebacker to these eyes but being recruited for both. Stiff competition with Bama and A&M also in pursuit.

LB S’Maje Burrell* — Stud prospect, stud person, stud recruiter.

LB Anthony Hill — Texas needs to play well on the field this year while landing talented players in the process. Do that, and they could pull this recruitment off. This sets up to be a ‘get your popcorn’ finish.

S/LB Jayven Anderson — He makes sense in the class as someone with both safety and linebacker ability (think Morice Blackwell). When putting a class together it’s important to account for versatility. Katy’s Johnathan Hall could also fit, though he’s much more towards the linebacker end of the spectrum when it comes to projection.

S Jamel Johnson* — He’ll get a shot at corner but will likely end up at Star. He’s a better football player than athlete. Though he does move well, he might not possess corner speed.

S Makari Vickers — Blake Gideon and Terry Joseph will have Texas credibly in the hunt for elite safety Derek Williams but that will be a tough one to win and won’t play out until late. At this time, Vickers sets up pretty well for UT. Oklahoma and Florida State are also in it.

CB Jordan Matthews — Texas is the smart pick for the….speedster? He already possessed good tape, but he’s faster than I thought. Word is he’s getting bigger, too, so maybe safety comes into play down the road.

CB Malik Muhammad — The staff has work left to do in this one but the school and program are viewed as a good fit. I view this recruitment as having slack in it that can be picked up rather quickly and I believe UT is making up ground. Will it be enough in the end?

CB Calvin Simpson-Hunt — I think it’s more likely than not Texas will end up taking three cornerbacks rather than two, but outside of Matthews it’s hard to have too much confidence in any individual recruits and I suspect more options will emerge. Simpson-Hunt takes academics seriously, which compounds Texas Tech’s issues with holding on to him. Remember Paulson Adebo? This recruitment could play out like that, but this time Texas might have jumped in early enough. Of course they’ll stay on Javien Toviano until the end, and will likely check Bravion Rogers’ pulse now and again. Also a reminder, four-star Jasiah Wagoner from Washington will be on campus today.

• Hook 'Em 3