Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Late night Huddle: Notes on multiple four-star recruits

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

Late night Huddle: Notes on multiple four-star recruits

Hudson Standish

— I checked in with a source regarding Wylie (TX) East defensive lineman Anthony James after his decommitment from Texas A&M. James has always maintained that his recruitment remained "open" and this change in his verbal pledge wasn't out of the blue from our perspective or the Texas A&M staff.

Earlier this month Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis swung by Wylie East high school to check in with James and looked at scheduling a potential visit during the offseason. While there isn't a visit locked in yet it's safe to say that conversations will continue with the Top247 prospect.

When I spoke with James previously he mentioned that contact with Texas was hit or miss and a source that has familiarity with this recruitment confirmed that Texas seemed to be taking a "kick the tires" approach for the time being with James.

— I confirmed with Temple (TX) ATH Mikal Harrison-Pilot that he will visit Texas on June 16th through the 19th on the same weekend that No. 1 overall player Arch Manning will be on campus. The CenTex four-star will also visit Oklahoma and Cal in the month of June, but is still holding firm to his late Fall timeline.

Harrison-Pilot also mentioned that his preference moving forward is to be recruited as a wide receiver, which has resulted in an increase in contact with Brennan Marion. With Texas already having one wideout commit in Ryan Niblett and several high-priority targets with summer decisions on deck, it'll be interesting to see how Harrison-Pilot fits in the mix.

— Something we're keeping an eye on now that Arch Manning has released his official visit dates is recruits considering Texas, Bama, and Georgia potentially shifting their dates around to take their OVs the same weekends and get some of the Arch Manning media rub. I've heard that at least a couple of recruits are looking to reschedule dates and multiple 2024's are hoping to take unofficial trips to capitalize on the high profile visit experience.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Bubba Sparxxx is the musical accompaniment, along with Ludscris, of the greatest compilation of VY highlights that YouTube hs to offer us, sir. 

REM is and will continue to be trash. I hope they get fucked and stay fucked forever. 

Fuck it. NSIAP.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Article: Texas is all in on Arch Manning — and other highlights from Sark’s stop in Houston

including the VY stuff below:

With former Texas quarterback Vince Young in attendance, Sarkisian shared an anecdote about USC’s infamous fourth-and-2 play, which Texas stopped late in the fourth quarter of the 2006 BCS championship game before Young ultimately won the title later with a 9-yard touchdown run on fourth-and-5.

Sarkisian, who was USC’s offensive coordinator at the time, owned up to not having Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush on the field for the play, a handoff to LenDale White that Texas stopped short of the first-down marker.

“I’m the guy who called that fourth-and-2 play without Reggie Bush on the field,” Sarkisian said to a chorus of laughs.

Sarkisian spoke of a timeout USC called before the play and the discussion with then-USC coach Pete Carroll about whether to punt or go for it.

“Coach Carroll came up to me and said ‘We’ve got to go (for it), because we can’t stop him,'” Sarkisian said, referencing Young, who accounted for 467 total yards that night. “It wasn’t them. We can’t stop him.”

Sarkisian said in the locker room after the game, Carroll told his team, “We just lost to Superman tonight.”

texT:

Spoiler

Texas is all in on Arch Manning — and other highlights from Sark’s stop in Houston

Texas is all in on Arch Manning — and other highlights from Sark’s stop in Houston
By Sam Khan Jr.
May 18, 2022

HOUSTON — Coaches can’t publicly speak about recruits until they have signed with a school, but it has been no secret that Texas is all in on one 2023 quarterback prospect: Arch Manning.

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian, who stopped by the Houston Touchdown Club on Wednesday as part of his post-spring alumni speaking tour, made it clear that the Longhorns are willing to wait on the five-star recruit, who is the No. 1 ranked player in the 2023 class.

Sarkisian said his aim is to recruit one quarterback in each class, but circumstances can change that, as they did in the last cycle when Texas signed four-star 2022 recruit Maalik Murphy and took Ohio State transfer Quinn Ewers in December.

“Quarterback recruitment is always a little bit delicate,” Sarkisian said Wednesday. “I think the theory is you take one guy a year. We were in a unique situation a year ago where, imagine if we didn’t take two last year … we’d be in a pretty dire situation.”

In the 2023 class, Texas has offered only one quarterback recruit: Manning. The Longhorns are unique in that regard, as Alabama and Georgia, considered the Longhorns’ biggest competition for Manning, have offered other quarterbacks in the class.

Manning, son of Cooper and the nephew of Peyton and Eli Manning, appears to be in no rush to commit somewhere. Nelson Stewart, his coach at Isidore Newman in New Orleans, told The Athletic in March that Arch has left the decision timetable open-ended. Manning reiterated that sentiment to 247Sports last week, saying that he has to “figure stuff out and see if it’s before or during the season.”

In most cases, top programs prefer to have a high school quarterback recruit committed before the season kicks off. A long wait can backfire if a team misses on its top target and has to find an alternative late in the recruiting cycle. The explosion of the transfer portal has eased that burden to a degree because so many players hit the market after the season and during the following spring.

But Sarkisian plans to remain patient. Asked generally about how long he’s willing to wait to gain a quarterback commitment, Sarkisian — while not naming names — made that clear Wednesday, alluding to the way Texas closed its 2022 class at offensive line, a critical need position where the Longhorns landed five blue-chippers in December and February.

“I don’t panic,” Sarkisian said. “I didn’t panic last year with the linemen. I won’t panic with the quarterbacks this year or any year, for that matter. We pride ourselves on the ability to develop the relationships with the kids, their families. You earn trust. If I didn’t feel good about a situation, I would go in another direction.”

The Longhorns have remained in a good place in the Manning recruitment since last summer. Sarkisian and quarterbacks coach A.J. Milwee have done a superb job of developing and maintaining a relationship with Manning, who has made multiple visits to campus since the pandemic-induced recruiting dead period was lifted last June.

“I feel pretty good about our track record,” Sarkisian said. “I could probably get a quarterback committed today. But ideally, I’d like to recruit the best guys and that’s how you build your roster, so we’re going to kind of stay the course.”

After taking Ewers and Murphy last cycle, Texas has four scholarship quarterbacks currently on the roster, with veteran Hudson Card and redshirt freshman Charles Wright being the others. Manning is the clear target this year, and Sarkisian said he’ll aim to take one quarterback per class unless unforeseen circumstances occur.

“Every year different circumstances arise, injuries, transfers, things pop up, where maybe you have to take a transfer, maybe you have to take two high school kids, but I think the ideal format for us is one a year,” Sarkisian said. “I think that’s when we recruit our best and where we develop the relationships, not only from the recruitment standpoint, but those relationships carry over to the development of the player when we get him and he’s on our roster.”

Here’s an assortment of other topics Sarkisian touched on while in Houston on Wednesday:

• As for the current quarterback competition between Ewers and Card, Sarkisian said he hopes to have a decision sooner rather than later.

Last year, Sarkisian tabbed Card the starter in mid-August, deep into preseason training camp. Card was later benched two games into the season for Casey Thompson, who started the final 10 games but transferred to Nebraska after the season.

Sarkisian maintains Card and Ewers will battle through summer and training camp but told the crowd Wednesday that they’re “ahead of schedule” at the position compared to last spring.

“The sooner I can make that decision, the better,” Sarkisian said. “It’s better for you so you all have crap to talk about while you’re chopping it up and it’s better for us and our team.”

• Monday’s announcement by Fox that it will broadcast the Longhorns’ Week 2 home game against Alabama sparked plenty of speculation on the kickoff time. The network has regularly used the noon ET/11 a.m. CT window for high-profile games to piggyback off of its “Big Noon Kickoff” pregame show.

One potential issue with an 11 a.m. kickoff for the Crimson Tide and the Longhorns is the unrelenting heat. September afternoons in Texas are, to say the least, unkind. Last year, the high temperature on Sept. 10, the day the game is scheduled, was 95 degrees. The heat index regularly surpasses 100 at that time of year, meaning Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium could very well be an oven come the second half of that game.

Sarkisian isn’t concerned about it.

“We have a saying in our building: ‘Just spot the ball,'” Sarkisian told reporters. “You spot the ball, we play. That’s the nature of football. We can’t control outside circumstances: the weather, hot, cold, the crowd, we can’t control those things. What we can control is what we do on the field and the way we play.”

Later, when speaking to the crowd, Sarkisian said “I don’t give a shit what time kickoff is, y’all just show up.”

• Texas running back Bijan Robinson created a buzz recently after signing a name, image and likeness deal with Lamborghini. Robinson posted about the partnership on his Instagram account on May 5, which included a photo of him sitting in the supercar.

Sarkisian, asked about juggling a locker room in the NIL era with different players getting deals of various values, pointed to everything Robinson does on and off the field for the program as an example for others.

“We all know he’s a great football player,” Sarkisian said. “But every guy on our team knows that Bijan Robinson is a better human being than he is a football player, how he represents the university, how he represents himself, the student that he is, the person that he is in the community, the result of that is why he has that NIL deal with Lamborghini.

“Every player on our team I’m sure would love to drive a Lamborghini. But that guy kind of earned it, one, through his play, two, through the person that he is. That’s the true essence of name, image and likeness. Hopefully, we can get our players to a point where there’s a level of respect for the guys who have bigger NIL deals because of what they represent and how they go about their business on a daily basis.”

• With former Texas quarterback Vince Young in attendance, Sarkisian shared an anecdote about USC’s infamous fourth-and-2 play, which Texas stopped late in the fourth quarter of the 2006 BCS championship game before Young ultimately won the title later with a 9-yard touchdown run on fourth-and-5.

Sarkisian, who was USC’s offensive coordinator at the time, owned up to not having Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush on the field for the play, a handoff to LenDale White that Texas stopped short of the first-down marker.

“I’m the guy who called that fourth-and-2 play without Reggie Bush on the field,” Sarkisian said to a chorus of laughs.

Sarkisian spoke of a timeout USC called before the play and the discussion with then-USC coach Pete Carroll about whether to punt or go for it.

“Coach Carroll came up to me and said ‘We’ve got to go (for it), because we can’t stop him,'” Sarkisian said, referencing Young, who accounted for 467 total yards that night. “It wasn’t them. We can’t stop him.”

Sarkisian said in the locker room after the game, Carroll told his team, “We just lost to Superman tonight.”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

So players we're recruiting who seem to want to play one position that the 9.95ers think would be better off playing another:

Zalance Heard

Markis Deal

Harrison-Pilot

anyone else who belongs on this list?

I think it's been mentioned over the last few weeks that Heard is becoming more open to playing OL and Flood is becoming involved in the recruitment.

Roach's confidence board on defense:

For the tl;dr crowd:

Extremely low (1): DL David Hicks,

Low (4): DL Jordan Renaud, EDGE Bai Jobe, CB Tony Mitchell, CB Calvin Simpson-Hunt

Medium-Low (4): DL Anthony James, CB Rodrick Pleasant, CB Antonio Robinson, S Dalton Brooks, 

Medium (9): DL Avion Carter, DL Ashton Porter, DL Hunter Osborne, DL Sydir Mitchell, EDGE Blake Purchase, EDGE Ashley Williams, CB Jasiah Wagoner, CB TayShawn Wilson, S Makari Vickers, 

Medium-High (15): DL Terrance Green, DL Samu Taumanupepe, EDGE Tausili Akana, DL Desmond Umeozulu, EDGE Colton Vasek, LB Brad Spence, LB Anthony Hill, LB Liona Lefau, LB Johnathan Hall, CB Javien Toviano, CB Malik Muhammad, S Jayven Anderson, S Mikal Harrison-Pilot, S Jamaal Shaw, S Anthony White

High (4): EDGE Braylan Shelby, EDGE Derion Gullette, CB Jordan Matthews, S Derek Williams

Spoiler

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we give you the confidence board on where the Longhorns stand with several defensive prospects.

David Hicks, DL, Katy Paetow

I’ve waited to see if there were signs of life in this recruitment all spring, but it doesn’t feel like there are. It’s been somewhat of an odd recruitment since this time last year when we were told that Texas would be a favorite once they offered. Since that time, the recruitment has gone the opposite way. Unless something drastically changes, I think it’s dead for Texas.

Confidence: Extremely low

Jordan Renaud, DL, Tyler Legacy

Nothing would surprise me with Renaud, but Texas hasn’t been thought of as a favorite at any point of this recruitment. Renaud talked about making his way back to Austin this summer, and he might do that. Still, it’s hard to feel great about Texas here.

Confidence: Low

2023 DL Avion Carter (Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)

Avion Carter, DL, Amarillo Tascosa

My Crystal Ball is on Texas, but I’m not sure the Longhorns are pushing nearly as hard as they were last fall. Perhaps the commitment of Dylan Spencer changed the defensive line math a bit. It will be interesting to see just how hard the push is for Carter to visit this summer and if Texas turns up the heat. Until we can ascertain that interest level, it’s hard to have high confidence.

Confidence: Medium

Anthony James, DL, Wylie East

Texas seemed to run hot and cold on James when he was committed to Texas A&M, and we will see if they go after it now that he has decommitted. There’s always been a feeling they could be a player for him if they push, but they haven’t done that yet.

Confidence: Medium-Low

Ashton Porter, DL, Cy-Ranch

Porter was pegged to Texas early on, but the longer he’s carried the recruitment the more that feeling has dwindled. I think Texas made a strong push to close in the spring, but Porter is adamant that he wants to carry his recruitment out through the season. That could ultimately squeeze him if Texas lands a few other

Hunter Osborne, DL, Trussville (AL.) Hewitt-Trussville

Texas is probably in a better spot than they could be with Osborne given how late they entered this recruitment. However, making his top group and getting an official visit is a positive indication of where this recruitment could trend with a good visit. This is one that is in a holding pattern until after the visit.

Sydir Mitchell (Photo: Shotgun Spratling | 247Sports)

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic

Texas seemed to do a good enough job the first time around, and getting Mitchell back for an official will tell the real story of where this recruitment stands. Texas will face off against some big names in this race, and the field is too strong to push the confidence level too high.

Terrance Green, DL, Cy-Woods

We haven’t heard a ton on Green, but I know the confidence level was initially high after offering. Green is a bit of a unique fit with a big frame and two-way ability, and Texas has been evaluating him for quite a while. We’ll have to check back after a return visit.

Confidence: Medium-High

Samu Taumanupepe, DL, Atascocita

Texas seemed to be in good shape early in the spring, but the big man from Atascocita’s future could hinge on how the numbers play out at the defensive line position. Oregon will be a big contender for Taumanupepe, but Texas could be a driving force depending on how hard they push.

Tausili Akana, EDGE, Lehi (Utah) Skyridge

Texas has been emerging as a school to watch in this race, and the addition of his sister to the Texas volleyball team certainly helps their cause. Akana will return this summer for a visit marking the first time in a year he’s been back to Austin.

Desmond Umeozulu (Photo: Don Callahan/Inside Carolina, 247Sports)

Bai Jobe, EDGE, Norman (OK.) Community Christian

Texas hasn’t been able to generate much in this recruitment while Oklahoma, Georgia and Alabama have all left impressions. It would take a lot for Texas to become a big player in this race, and I’m not sure they have the time to do so.

Desmond Umeozulu, EDGE, Upper Marlboro (MD.) Charles Herbert Flowers

By all accounts, Texas made a big impression on Umeozulu when they hosted him during the spring. Can they keep that momentum going? That’s the big question. Despite having his cousin Neto moving to campus this summer, Texas is still going to have to go to work to land him. We’ll wait and see what a return visit brings.

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin Westlake

Considering how things looked earlier in the spring, Texas has a shot to really pour it on with the local pass rusher. Texas still has some work to do, but the benefit of the final visit shouldn’t be overlooked. Vasek has been clear he’s not going to go to Texas just because his dad played there, so the Longhorns will have to earn it.

Blake Purchase, EDGE, Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek

The Longhorns have a few things going for them with Purchase, and it’s promising that they will get an official visit from the Colorado defender after offering relatively late. That should give them enough juice to have some momentum going into the summer. A good visit could push this rating up.

Braylan Shelby (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Ashley Williams, EDGE, Zachary (LA.)

The Longhorns appeared to get in on Williams at the right time, and they’ve done enough to likely get a visit. Now the question will be if they can make the next step. Like several others, this is a wait-and-see recruitment until they get further down the line.

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood

We’ve been feeling pretty strong about Shelby since the spring. Though the summer will bring a lot of visits with several other programs, Texas enters the summer in a strong position with some steam behind them. USC and Stanford will be two programs to watch, but Texas has done a good job establishing themselves with strong relationship building.

Confidence: High

Derion Gullette, LB, Marlin

The Longhorns have done a great job forging a relationship with Gullette and his family, and they have the only official visit scheduled for him at the moment. The small-town linebacker is just up the road from Texas and is coming off of an incredible spring on the track and camp circuit. There’s still a long road here, but I like where Texas sits at this point.

Brad Spence, LB, Klein Forest

Like several others, Spence’s recruitment will depend on when Texas really decides to put the hammer down. Spence has some positional versatility, but his build will likely have him playing as an off-ball linebacker at the next level. We should learn a lot more about the board after the month of June.

Anthony Hill (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton Ryan

The Longhorns go into the summer likely behind Texas A&M with a chance to make another strong push after an official visit. It’s unlikely the Longhorns could close the deal on their official visit in June, so the hope would be to get into position to continue impressing with a good season ahead.

Liona Lefau, LB, Kahuku (HI.)

We should have a better idea of if Texas is a real player for the Hawaiian linebacker. The Longhorns have been able to hang in the top group, but can they emerge as a leader? His expected June visit will tell a lot about where Texas stands going forward.

Johnathan Hall, LB, Katy

Like a few others, Hall’s future could depend on where Texas stands numbers-wise at the position. A high school safety who will likely swing down to linebacker at the next level, Texas has been able to establish a good relationship even prior to offering.

Tony Mitchell, CB, Alabaster (AL.) Thompson

Texas will host Mitchell on an official visit this summer, but it would take a lot to climb the ladder and overcome a few other programs. Barring a drastic change following the visit, I don’t have a lot of confidence here.

Malik Muhammad (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington Martin

Toviano’s recruitment has been shrouded in a lot of mystery. After Texas took control early, his favorites have bounced around a few times. Recently, it seemed Texas A&M had control, but this recruitment probably still has a lot of burn left.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas South Oak Cliff

Texas did a lot getting Muhammad to campus a few weeks ago, but Texas A&M is still running strong with Alabama hanging around as well. Muhammad doesn’t have a visit date in mind for Texas, but the Longhorns need to continue to build on that spring momentum into the summer.

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (LA.) Woodlawn

The Longhorns move into the summer as the likely favorite for the Louisiana cornerback. Texas did a great job capitalizing on this recruitment during the spring and look to be in a power position leading into his visits. It would likely take a big change for another school to overcome the Longhorns.

Rodrick Pleasant, CB, Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra

Pleasant’s recruitment with Texas has run hot and cold. Perhaps it heats back up following Pleasant’s blistering 10.1 100-meter time over the weekend. I haven’t heard a lot lately regarding Pleasant, but Texas could pick up contact and increase its chances with a big push.

Jasiah Wagoner (Photo: Brandon Huffman, 247Sports)

Jasiah Wagoner, CB, Spanaway (WA.) Lake

Wagoner visited a few weeks ago and could return for an official visit. A lot will depend on where they are with top cornerback targets this summer, and if they can hold Wagoenr off. Texas analyst Joey Thomas has a strong relationship that could help Texas there.

TayShawn Wilson, CB, Katy Mayde Creek

Wilson once looked to be a guy Texas had a great chance for, but his size will always be a question with an impending move to the SEC. Houston and Baylor are two programs recruiting Wilson extremely hard, but a Texas push could change the situation.

Calvin Simpson-Hunt, CB, Waxahachie

I haven’t heard a ton on the Texas Tech commit since Texas offered, but we will effort to get more info in the coming weeks. Until that time, it’s tough to have a great feel on a confidence level, especially with bigger schools entering the race for him.

Antonio Robinson, CB, Miami (Fla.) Florida Christian School

Robinson recently visited and Texas seems to be pushing a little harder for the south Florida corner. LSU, Arkansas, Miami, Michigan and Florida are among the schools in the race for Robinson, and it remains to be seen where the interest level is from Texas and if the Longhorns will get a return visit.

Derek Williams (Photo: Gaby Urrutia, 247Sports)

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (LA.) Westgate

Texas hosted Williams several times and will get him back this summer for an official date. Alabama and LSU are the two schools I hear most as competition with the Crimson Tide considered the main contender. That said, I think Texas is a serious threat right now and shold be considered a serious contender to add the elite safety.

Makari Vickers, S, Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul II Catholic

I haven’t heard a ton on Vickers since he made a visit to Austin for Junior Day. Vickers did include Texas in his Top 8, but it remains to be seen if he will return for an official trip. Right now, the confidence will hold at medium until we get further into Vickers’ recruitment which features some talented programs.

Jayven Anderson, S, North Shore

A hybrid defender with some versatility to spin down to linebacker or line up in a hybrid position. There’s more uncertainty on defense than offense, so Anderson’s recruitment is also a bit uncertain. The Longhorns could close if they push for the versatile defender.

Dalton Brooks, S, Shiner

Texas hasn’t hosted Brooks recently while Texas A&M and Alabama continue to push for the small-town athlete. Texas has some factors in their favor with Brooks’ cousin Jonathon Brooks on campus. Brooks doesn’t talk much about the process, but my sense is that Texas has to make up ground.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot (Photo: Parker Thune, 247Sports)

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, S, Temple

The Longhorns will host Harrison-Pilot this summer for an official visit, and they could amp up the heat on the Temple two-way player. Texas has kind of been running in the middle of the pack for Harrison-Pilot, but a visit could help propel them to the front.

Jamaal Shaw, ATH, West Orange-Stark

10COMMENTS

Shaw could fit at several positions in the secondary, and he plans to wait a bit before making his decision. That could actually help the Longhorns as they sort out the defensive back board. Shaw has been vocal about the Texas offer being huge for him and could be a guy to revisit down the road.

Anthony White, ATH, Abernathy

White visited Austin in January, but there hasn’t been a lot with him since that time. Like Shaw, it could take some time to sort the board out and get a feel for where White stands among all of the other contenders.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 6

47 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

So players we're recruiting who seem to want to play one position that the 9.95ers think would be better off playing another:

Zalance Heard

Markis Deal

Harrison-Pilot

anyone else who belongs on this list?

Arch wants to play safety but we insist on recruiting him as a QB.

• Haha 1

Elite WR Jaquaize Pettaway sets Texas official visit

Hudson Standish

👀 👀 👀 👀 

(" ... have made Texas the team to beat at the moment in our eyes.")

Spoiler

Elite WR Jaquaize Pettaway sets Texas official visit

Hudson Standish

Earlier today elite wide receiver and the No. 34 player in the nation according to 247Sports Jaquaize Pettaway announced that he will be taking an official visit to Texas on the weekend of June 17th through the 19th.

Last night I mentioned that Arch Manning setting his official visit date caused some recruits to look at shifting their dates around to take their officials the same weekend as the No. 1 player in the country. As we previously reported on our trip to Houston in April, Pettaway said that Arch Manning has been in consistent contact with him and Manning's decision would have an impact on his own recruitment.

That element plus several other factors including Steve Sarkisian's personal involvement, proximity to home, offensive scheme, and a blossoming relationship with Brennan Marion have made Texas the team to beat at the moment in our eyes.

One of the primary factors working in Texas' advantage in this recruitment is that wide receiver coach Brennan Marion and Pettaway come from similar backgrounds and have shared experiences from working as a high schooler while also trying to chase college football dreams as a recruit. When we talked to Pettaway in April, he had this to say about his first encounter with Marion.

"The first time I met coach (Brennan) Marion he came out to Langham Creek to see me and we had a heart to heart in the coaches office," he said. "The first impression is the most important thing for me and the person he was then, has never changed. He is a cool and nice guy that I know I can talk with about anything and he'll never sugarcoat anything. Also, I know for a fact he's a good coach."

At 5-foot-11, 170 pounds, Pettaway is ranked as the No. 34 player in the nation in the 2024 cycle according to the 247Sports composite. He also ranks as the No. 4 WR in the country and No. 4 overall prospect from the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 7

Running visit list from IT for June:

Official visits 

June 10-12

Cedric Baxter, RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater

Spencer Shannon, TE, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei:

June 17-19

Arch Manning, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman

Jaquaize Pettaway, WR, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek

Will Randle, TE, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman

My’Keil Gardner, DL, Peioria (Ariz.) Liberty

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic

Hunter Osborne, EDGE, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville

Tony Mitchell, S, Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson

Tyler Turner, DB, San Antonio (Texas) Brennan

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, ATH, Temple (Texas)

June 24-26

Ryan Niblett, WR, Aldine (Texas) Eisenhower - Texas commit

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Kyle Parker, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

DeAndre Moore, WR, Los Alamitos (Calif.)

Andre Cojoe, OL. Mansfield (Texas) Summit

Connor Stroh, OL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Harker Heights (Texas)

Ian Reed, OL, Austin (Texas) Vandegrift

Ansel Nedore, DL, Round Rock (Texas)

Derion Gullette, LB/EDGE, Marlin (Texas)

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood (Texas)

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Blake Purchase, EDGE, Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek

S’Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan

Makari Vickers, S, Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul Catholic II

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (La.) Westgate

Scheduling, unofficial visits 

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas)

Vysen Lang, OL, Pike Road (Ala.)
UOV: June 21-23

Malachi Breland, OL, Laurel (Miss.)

Zalance Heard, OL, Monroe (La.) Neville

Terrance Green, DL/OL, Cypress (Texas) Cy Woods

David Hicks, DE, Katy (Texas) Paetow
UOV: June 2

Tausili Akana, LB, Lehi (Utah) Skyridge

Johnathan Hall, LB/S, Katy (Texas)

Malik Muhammad, CB. Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff

Edited by Hookem2147

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Running visit list from IT for June:

For comparisons sake, here is the guys who officially visited in June of last year for the 2022 class (little different circumstances considering the ban on visits had just been lifted but still fun to compare):

QB Maalik Murphy, RB Jamarion Miller, RB DeAnthony Gatson, RB Jaydon Blue, WR CJ Williams, OL Cole Hutson, OL Conner Robertson, OL Kelvin Banks, OL Cameron Williams, OL Jacob Sexton, TE Arlis Boardingham, TE Jaleel Skinner, DL Aaron Bryant, DL Jaray Bledsoe, DL J'Mond Tapp, DL Justice FInkley, DL KJ Miles, DL Keahnist Thompson, LB Derrick Brown, LB Niuafe Tuihalamaka, LB Trevell Johnson, LB Anthony Jones, LB Sebastian Cheeks, LB Jeremy Patton, DB Denver Harris, DB Terrance Brooks, DB Bryce Anderson, DB Jaylon Guilbeau, DB BJ Allen, DB Austin Jordan

• Hook 'Em 1

Justin Wells:

June will be a busy month. Here’s the latest.

Official visits 

June 10-12

Cedric Baxter, RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater

Spencer Shannon, TE, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei:

June 17-19

Arch Manning, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman

Jaquaize Pettaway, WR, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek

Will Randle, TE, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman

My’Keil Gardner, DL, Peioria (Ariz.) Liberty

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic

Hunter Osborne, EDGE, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville

Tony Mitchell, S, Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson

Tyler Turner, DB, San Antonio (Texas) Brennan

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, ATH, Temple (Texas)

June 24-26

Ryan Niblett, WR, Aldine (Texas) Eisenhower - Texas commit

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Kyle Parker, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

DeAndre Moore, WR, Los Alamitos (Calif.)

Andre Cojoe, OL. Mansfield (Texas) Summit

Connor Stroh, OL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Harker Heights (Texas)

Ian Reed, OL, Austin (Texas) Vandegrift

Ansel Nedore, DL, Round Rock (Texas)

Derion Gullette, LB/EDGE, Marlin (Texas)

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood (Texas)

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Blake Purchase, EDGE, Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek

S’Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan

Makari Vickers, S, Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul Catholic II

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (La.) Westgate

Scheduling, unofficial visits 

Jerrick Gibson, RB, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy
UOV: June 9th.

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas)

Vysen Lang, OL, Pike Road (Ala.)
UOV: June 21-23

Malachi Breland, OL, Laurel (Miss.)

Casey Poe, OL, Lindale (Texas) (2024)

Zalance Heard, OL, Monroe (La.) Neville

Dealyn Evans, DL/OL, Longview (Texas) Pine Tree (2024)
UOV June 23rd

Terrance Green, DL/OL, Cypress (Texas) Cy Woods

David Hicks, DE, Katy (Texas) Paetow
UOV: June 2

Tausili Akana, LB, Lehi (Utah) Skyridge

Johnathan Hall, LB/S, Katy (Texas)

Malik Muhammad, CB. Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff

48 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It was reported somewhere (forgot where) that Umeozulu wasn’t anywhere close to his reported measurables when he showed up at a camp recently and it caused many teams to pause.

That makes sense for out of state teams. But if you are a local school, you should have seen him at some point. Unless the offer was contingent on him growing four inches over the summer. 

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Roach's confidence board on defense:

For the tl;dr crowd:

Extremely low (1): DL David Hicks,

Low (4): DL Jordan Renaud, EDGE Bai Jobe, CB Tony Mitchell, CB Calvin Simpson-Hunt

Medium-Low (4): DL Anthony James, CB Rodrick Pleasant, CB Antonio Robinson, S Dalton Brooks, 

Medium (9): DL Avion Carter, DL Ashton Porter, DL Hunter Osborne, DL Sydir Mitchell, EDGE Blake Purchase, EDGE Ashley Williams, CB Jasiah Wagoner, CB TayShawn Wilson, S Makari Vickers, 

Medium-High (15): DL Terrance Green, DL Samu Taumanupepe, EDGE Tausili Akana, DL Desmond Umeozulu, EDGE Colton Vasek, LB Brad Spence, LB Anthony Hill, LB Liona Lefau, LB Johnathan Hall, CB Javien Toviano, CB Malik Muhammad, S Jayven Anderson, S Mikal Harrison-Pilot, S Jamaal Shaw, S Anthony White

High (4): EDGE Braylan Shelby, EDGE Derion Gullette, CB Jordan Matthews, S Derek Williams

Reveal hidden contents

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we give you the confidence board on where the Longhorns stand with several defensive prospects.

David Hicks, DL, Katy Paetow

I’ve waited to see if there were signs of life in this recruitment all spring, but it doesn’t feel like there are. It’s been somewhat of an odd recruitment since this time last year when we were told that Texas would be a favorite once they offered. Since that time, the recruitment has gone the opposite way. Unless something drastically changes, I think it’s dead for Texas.

Confidence: Extremely low

Jordan Renaud, DL, Tyler Legacy

Nothing would surprise me with Renaud, but Texas hasn’t been thought of as a favorite at any point of this recruitment. Renaud talked about making his way back to Austin this summer, and he might do that. Still, it’s hard to feel great about Texas here.

2023 DL Avion Carter (Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)

Avion Carter, DL, Amarillo Tascosa

My Crystal Ball is on Texas, but I’m not sure the Longhorns are pushing nearly as hard as they were last fall. Perhaps the commitment of Dylan Spencer changed the defensive line math a bit. It will be interesting to see just how hard the push is for Carter to visit this summer and if Texas turns up the heat. Until we can ascertain that interest level, it’s hard to have high confidence.

Anthony James, DL, Wylie East

Texas seemed to run hot and cold on James when he was committed to Texas A&M, and we will see if they go after it now that he has decommitted. There’s always been a feeling they could be a player for him if they push, but they haven’t done that yet.

Ashton Porter, DL, Cy-Ranch

Porter was pegged to Texas early on, but the longer he’s carried the recruitment the more that feeling has dwindled. I think Texas made a strong push to close in the spring, but Porter is adamant that he wants to carry his recruitment out through the season. That could ultimately squeeze him if Texas lands a few other

Hunter Osborne, DL, Trussville (AL.) Hewitt-Trussville

Texas is probably in a better spot than they could be with Osborne given how late they entered this recruitment. However, making his top group and getting an official visit is a positive indication of where this recruitment could trend with a good visit. This is one that is in a holding pattern until after the visit.

Sydir Mitchell (Photo: Shotgun Spratling | 247Sports)

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic

Texas seemed to do a good enough job the first time around, and getting Mitchell back for an official will tell the real story of where this recruitment stands. Texas will face off against some big names in this race, and the field is too strong to push the confidence level too high.

Terrance Green, DL, Cy-Woods

We haven’t heard a ton on Green, but I know the confidence level was initially high after offering. Green is a bit of a unique fit with a big frame and two-way ability, and Texas has been evaluating him for quite a while. We’ll have to check back after a return visit.

Samu Taumanupepe, DL, Atascocita

Texas seemed to be in good shape early in the spring, but the big man from Atascocita’s future could hinge on how the numbers play out at the defensive line position. Oregon will be a big contender for Taumanupepe, but Texas could be a driving force depending on how hard they push.

Tausili Akana, EDGE, Lehi (Utah) Skyridge

Texas has been emerging as a school to watch in this race, and the addition of his sister to the Texas volleyball team certainly helps their cause. Akana will return this summer for a visit marking the first time in a year he’s been back to Austin.

Desmond Umeozulu (Photo: Don Callahan/Inside Carolina, 247Sports)

Bai Jobe, EDGE, Norman (OK.) Community Christian

Texas hasn’t been able to generate much in this recruitment while Oklahoma, Georgia and Alabama have all left impressions. It would take a lot for Texas to become a big player in this race, and I’m not sure they have the time to do so.

Desmond Umeozulu, EDGE, Upper Marlboro (MD.) Charles Herbert Flowers

By all accounts, Texas made a big impression on Umeozulu when they hosted him during the spring. Can they keep that momentum going? That’s the big question. Despite having his cousin Neto moving to campus this summer, Texas is still going to have to go to work to land him. We’ll wait and see what a return visit brings.

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin Westlake

Considering how things looked earlier in the spring, Texas has a shot to really pour it on with the local pass rusher. Texas still has some work to do, but the benefit of the final visit shouldn’t be overlooked. Vasek has been clear he’s not going to go to Texas just because his dad played there, so the Longhorns will have to earn it.

Blake Purchase, EDGE, Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek

The Longhorns have a few things going for them with Purchase, and it’s promising that they will get an official visit from the Colorado defender after offering relatively late. That should give them enough juice to have some momentum going into the summer. A good visit could push this rating up.

Braylan Shelby (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Ashley Williams, EDGE, Zachary (LA.)

The Longhorns appeared to get in on Williams at the right time, and they’ve done enough to likely get a visit. Now the question will be if they can make the next step. Like several others, this is a wait-and-see recruitment until they get further down the line.

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood

We’ve been feeling pretty strong about Shelby since the spring. Though the summer will bring a lot of visits with several other programs, Texas enters the summer in a strong position with some steam behind them. USC and Stanford will be two programs to watch, but Texas has done a good job establishing themselves with strong relationship building.

Derion Gullette, LB, Marlin

The Longhorns have done a great job forging a relationship with Gullette and his family, and they have the only official visit scheduled for him at the moment. The small-town linebacker is just up the road from Texas and is coming off of an incredible spring on the track and camp circuit. There’s still a long road here, but I like where Texas sits at this point.

Brad Spence, LB, Klein Forest

Like several others, Spence’s recruitment will depend on when Texas really decides to put the hammer down. Spence has some positional versatility, but his build will likely have him playing as an off-ball linebacker at the next level. We should learn a lot more about the board after the month of June.

Anthony Hill (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton Ryan

The Longhorns go into the summer likely behind Texas A&M with a chance to make another strong push after an official visit. It’s unlikely the Longhorns could close the deal on their official visit in June, so the hope would be to get into position to continue impressing with a good season ahead.

Liona Lefau, LB, Kahuku (HI.)

We should have a better idea of if Texas is a real player for the Hawaiian linebacker. The Longhorns have been able to hang in the top group, but can they emerge as a leader? His expected June visit will tell a lot about where Texas stands going forward.

Johnathan Hall, LB, Katy

Like a few others, Hall’s future could depend on where Texas stands numbers-wise at the position. A high school safety who will likely swing down to linebacker at the next level, Texas has been able to establish a good relationship even prior to offering.

Tony Mitchell, CB, Alabaster (AL.) Thompson

Texas will host Mitchell on an official visit this summer, but it would take a lot to climb the ladder and overcome a few other programs. Barring a drastic change following the visit, I don’t have a lot of confidence here.

Malik Muhammad (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington Martin

Toviano’s recruitment has been shrouded in a lot of mystery. After Texas took control early, his favorites have bounced around a few times. Recently, it seemed Texas A&M had control, but this recruitment probably still has a lot of burn left.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas South Oak Cliff

Texas did a lot getting Muhammad to campus a few weeks ago, but Texas A&M is still running strong with Alabama hanging around as well. Muhammad doesn’t have a visit date in mind for Texas, but the Longhorns need to continue to build on that spring momentum into the summer.

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (LA.) Woodlawn

The Longhorns move into the summer as the likely favorite for the Louisiana cornerback. Texas did a great job capitalizing on this recruitment during the spring and look to be in a power position leading into his visits. It would likely take a big change for another school to overcome the Longhorns.

Rodrick Pleasant, CB, Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra

Pleasant’s recruitment with Texas has run hot and cold. Perhaps it heats back up following Pleasant’s blistering 10.1 100-meter time over the weekend. I haven’t heard a lot lately regarding Pleasant, but Texas could pick up contact and increase its chances with a big push.

Jasiah Wagoner (Photo: Brandon Huffman, 247Sports)

Jasiah Wagoner, CB, Spanaway (WA.) Lake

Wagoner visited a few weeks ago and could return for an official visit. A lot will depend on where they are with top cornerback targets this summer, and if they can hold Wagoenr off. Texas analyst Joey Thomas has a strong relationship that could help Texas there.

TayShawn Wilson, CB, Katy Mayde Creek

Wilson once looked to be a guy Texas had a great chance for, but his size will always be a question with an impending move to the SEC. Houston and Baylor are two programs recruiting Wilson extremely hard, but a Texas push could change the situation.

Calvin Simpson-Hunt, CB, Waxahachie

I haven’t heard a ton on the Texas Tech commit since Texas offered, but we will effort to get more info in the coming weeks. Until that time, it’s tough to have a great feel on a confidence level, especially with bigger schools entering the race for him.

Antonio Robinson, CB, Miami (Fla.) Florida Christian School

Robinson recently visited and Texas seems to be pushing a little harder for the south Florida corner. LSU, Arkansas, Miami, Michigan and Florida are among the schools in the race for Robinson, and it remains to be seen where the interest level is from Texas and if the Longhorns will get a return visit.

Derek Williams (Photo: Gaby Urrutia, 247Sports)

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (LA.) Westgate

Texas hosted Williams several times and will get him back this summer for an official date. Alabama and LSU are the two schools I hear most as competition with the Crimson Tide considered the main contender. That said, I think Texas is a serious threat right now and shold be considered a serious contender to add the elite safety.

Makari Vickers, S, Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul II Catholic

I haven’t heard a ton on Vickers since he made a visit to Austin for Junior Day. Vickers did include Texas in his Top 8, but it remains to be seen if he will return for an official trip. Right now, the confidence will hold at medium until we get further into Vickers’ recruitment which features some talented programs.

Jayven Anderson, S, North Shore

A hybrid defender with some versatility to spin down to linebacker or line up in a hybrid position. There’s more uncertainty on defense than offense, so Anderson’s recruitment is also a bit uncertain. The Longhorns could close if they push for the versatile defender.

Dalton Brooks, S, Shiner

Texas hasn’t hosted Brooks recently while Texas A&M and Alabama continue to push for the small-town athlete. Texas has some factors in their favor with Brooks’ cousin Jonathon Brooks on campus. Brooks doesn’t talk much about the process, but my sense is that Texas has to make up ground.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot (Photo: Parker Thune, 247Sports)

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, S, Temple

The Longhorns will host Harrison-Pilot this summer for an official visit, and they could amp up the heat on the Temple two-way player. Texas has kind of been running in the middle of the pack for Harrison-Pilot, but a visit could help propel them to the front.

Jamaal Shaw, ATH, West Orange-Stark

10COMMENTS

Shaw could fit at several positions in the secondary, and he plans to wait a bit before making his decision. That could actually help the Longhorns as they sort out the defensive back board. Shaw has been vocal about the Texas offer being huge for him and could be a guy to revisit down the road.

Anthony White, ATH, Abernathy

White visited Austin in January, but there hasn’t been a lot with him since that time. Like Shaw, it could take some time to sort the board out and get a feel for where White stands among all of the other contenders.

Sweet breeze of ennui, Roach is the Ian Boyd of 9.95.  If things get bad enough, use those two for anaesthesia.

IT

True or false: these players will end up in the Texas class.

Zalance Heard

GH: False. Texas recruiting as a left tackle and LSU recruiting as a right tackle is Texas’ best chance. The Longhorns do have a really good coach relationships with Heard and at Neville High.

JW: False. It’ll be hard to pry this rising prospect out of Louisiana from the Tigers’ claws.

EN: False. But this one isn’t as cut and dried to me. Given lack of true tackle options in the class, expect Texas to remain all in and hope to create momentum within that state.

Jaquaize Pettaway

GH: True. Pettaway and Brennan Marion have a close bond. They share a lot of similarities growing up. That relationship, and the Texas scheme are positives for the Longhorns.

JW: True. Texas wants speed and have prioritized Pettaway.

EN: True. Texas has increased its efforts and started to push different buttons, plus I like Marion’s ability to relate. I think we can take away some lessons from Ryan Niblett’s recruitment.

Jordan Matthews

GH: True. The Pelican State will be in play for the Longhorns, and Matthews is very much in play here. Texas has more than a puncher’s chance.

JW: True. Arch Manning and Will Randle aren’t the only ones in Louisiana the Texas staff have built strong relationships with. Matthews is wanted in Austin and he knows it.

EN: True. Texas has been in consistently good shape since early spring and should reap the rewards of prioritizing him throughout. I think it gets across the line this summer.

Javien Toviano

GH: False. Tough to see Texas winning here, but let’s see where the June/July momentum sits.

JW: False. Georgia might be the spot, or Texas A&M, but either way, Toviano isn’t trending UT.

EN: False. For now. We’ve seen this recruitment swing wildly a couple of times. UT will always profile well to the family.

Makari Vickers

GH: True. As long as Alabama doesn’t push. There is a strong connection with Steve Sarkisian. And FSU is a mess.

JW: True. The Horns might be a long shot, but there’s something brewing here with the Florida native and UT staff.

EN: True. Once we had an idea the staff was prioritizing Vickers over Tyler Turner, I started to like UT’s chances.

Colton Vasek

GH: True. It looks like out of state now, but this is a recruitment that Texas can win if it plays out long enough.

JW: False. Despite being a Longhorn legacy, it appears Vasek is headed out-of-state.

EN: True. The fact he’s taking an official visit at the end of June has me intrigued. That could be prime opportunity for the staff to make a vigorous push.

Braylan Shelby

GH: True. Shelby may be leaning to USC headed into June, but sources close to the Friendswood program believe close to home is his parents’ preference.

JW: True. The more he grows, the more Texas is learning this guy is a take in the 2023 cycle. Too much upside to pass on.

EN: True. Though I’m leery of USC I believe proximity wins out. His physical development coupled with movement skills will force the staff to push extra hard.

• Hook 'Em 1

EricNahlin

June is a key month on the recruiting calendar as it informs the staff where it sits with priority targets taking official visits and likely on a summer decision timeline. In the lead up to that important month, the recruiting staff has been discussing targets through the binary choice of true or false. Of course in recruiting, until a prospect makes his decision there’s a lot of play in the joints. And even then, things can change.

First installment
Second installment

True or false: these players will end up in the Texas class.

Zalance Heard

GH: False. Texas recruiting as a left tackle and LSU recruiting as a right tackle is Texas’ best chance. The Longhorns do have a really good coach relationships with Heard and at Neville High.

JW: False. It’ll be hard to pry this rising prospect out of Louisiana from the Tigers’ claws.

EN: False. But this one isn’t as cut and dried to me. Given lack of true tackle options in the class, expect Texas to remain all in and hope to create momentum within that state.

Jaquaize Pettaway

GH: True. Pettaway and Brennan Marion have a close bond. They share a lot of similarities growing up. That relationship, and the Texas scheme are positives for the Longhorns.

JW: True. Texas wants speed and have prioritized Pettaway.

EN: True. Texas has increased its efforts and started to push different buttons, plus I like Marion’s ability to relate. I think we can take away some lessons from Ryan Niblett’s recruitment.

Jordan Matthews

GH: True. The Pelican State will be in play for the Longhorns, and Matthews is very much in play here. Texas has more than a puncher’s chance.

JW: True. Arch Manning and Will Randle aren’t the only ones in Louisiana the Texas staff have built strong relationships with. Matthews is wanted in Austin and he knows it.

EN: True. Texas has been in consistently good shape since early spring and should reap the rewards of prioritizing him throughout. I think it gets across the line this summer.

Javien Toviano

GH: False. Tough to see Texas winning here, but let’s see where the June/July momentum sits.

JW: False. Georgia might be the spot, or Texas A&M, but either way, Toviano isn’t trending UT.

EN: False. For now. We’ve seen this recruitment swing wildly a couple of times. UT will always profile well to the family.

Makari Vickers

GH: True. As long as Alabama doesn’t push. There is a strong connection with Steve Sarkisian. And FSU is a mess.

JW: True. The Horns might be a long shot, but there’s something brewing here with the Florida native and UT staff.

EN: True. Once we had an idea the staff was prioritizing Vickers over Tyler Turner, I started to like UT’s chances.

Colton Vasek

GH: True. It looks like out of state now, but this is a recruitment that Texas can win if it plays out long enough.

JW: False. Despite being a Longhorn legacy, it appears Vasek is headed out-of-state.

EN: True. The fact he’s taking an official visit at the end of June has me intrigued. That could be prime opportunity for the staff to make a vigorous push.

Braylan Shelby

GH: True. Shelby may be leaning to USC headed into June, but sources close to the Friendswood program believe close to home is his parents’ preference.

JW: True. The more he grows, the more Texas is learning this guy is a take in the 2023 cycle. Too much upside to pass on.

EN: True. Though I’m leery of USC I believe proximity wins out. His physical development coupled with movement skills will force the staff to push extra hard.