Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Read mixed things.  I saw an article where Luck mentioned we were locked in on GG but I've also heard he was never going to turn Stanford down.

Mack told Oliver and Andrew that he was going to sit behind Colt no matter what, which opened the door for Stanford. My wife's family knows them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry Hamilton: "BTW, nothing has changed as to what I have continued to hear. If decision is just Arch's, Texas leads headed into OV's to UT and UGA."

... has he been saying it exactly like this, or are we seeing some hedging now?

Just now, UncleBuck said:

Not sure how he's been wording it previously, but he's been saying for a while now that the family plans on letting Arch make his own decision and want him to go somewhere he would feel comfortable as just a normal student (which is why I'm assuming he put in the prediction to Texas a few weeks back). 

I know a lot of the 9.95ers will beat around the bush but Gerry seems to just say it like it is. He isn't afraid to say when stuff changes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not sure how he's been wording it previously, but he's been saying for a while now that the family plans on letting Arch make his own decision and want him to go somewhere he would feel comfortable as just a normal student (which is why I'm assuming he put in the prediction to Texas a few weeks back). 

I know a lot of the 9.95ers will beat around the bush but Gerry seems to just say it like it is. He isn't afraid to say when stuff changes. 

Ironic as Gerry was caught beating around his bush a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Assessing Arch Manning's recruitment after huge quarterback domino falls

Mike Roach

The street speaks.  He listens.

Take that, Sam Spiegelman!

( 

The commitment likely eliminates the Crimson Tide from the race and removes a big opponent for Steve Sarkisian and company. Now, Texas goes into Manning's June official visit with a better feel for the narrowed field.

I'd expect Manning to cancel his visit to Alabama that was originally scheduled for the weekend of June 10 following his June 3 trip to Georiga and preceding his June 17 trip to Austin. The question is if Manning will choose to fill that June 10 date with another school.

)

Spoiler

Assessing Arch Manning's recruitment after huge quarterback domino falls

Mike Roach

In any given recruiting class, nothing can affect the national scene like quarterback dominoes. No position is as unique as the quarterback position where only one player can get on the field. Each year, teams jockey for position to land the best in the country, and a commitment to one school can cause trigger a chain of events for other programs.

The Longhorns have had five-star quarterback Arch Manning in their sights since Steve Sarkisian arrived in Austin. Though Texas was initially seen as a longshot to land the first in the next generation from the first family of football.

As we head into a pivotal time in Manning's recruitment, a big domino fell today. Alabama has been a constant in the pursuit of Manning along with Texas and Georgia. Today, the Crimson Tide filled their quarterback spot with a commitment from four-star Zachary (LA.) passer and former Texas A&M commit Eli Holstein.

The commitment likely eliminates the Crimson Tide from the race and removes a big opponent for Steve Sarkisian and company. Now, Texas goes into Manning's June official visit with a better feel for the narrowed field.

I'd expect Manning to cancel his visit to Alabama that was originally scheduled for the weekend of June 10 following his June 3 trip to Georiga and preceding his June 17 trip to Austin. The question is if Manning will choose to fill that June 10 date with another school.

Though Texas, Georgia and Alabama have been talked about most, Manning is also communicating with Florida, LSU and Virginia where he took a late spring visit. If he does decide to fill that date, Florida could be the favorite to get it with new head coach Billy Napier.

If Manning decides to hold firm, a much-anticipated showdown between the Longhorns and Bulldogs will play out over the course of a few weeks leading up to an expected summer commitment. Horns247 was on hand at Manning's first spring practice where he said the following about both programs.

Regarding Georgia: "They have a really good staff," he said. "They just have athletes all over the place. Whether it's o-line or their entire defense. They had 15 guys drafted. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the quarterbacks this year and just asking some questions on my official visit."

Regarding Texas: "Coach Sark's first year with a whole new roster was with a whole new roster and no one he recruited," he said. "It's definitely hard to go in and be successful. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do this year. That's kind of my deciding factor there and building a relationship with them. With a year under his belt, let's see what he can do now. "Coach Milwee is a great guy. I think it's really important to be close to your position coach."

247Sports National Rankings Analyst Cooper Petagna was on hand for Manning's spring game last week and had the following to say about his performance.

"All in all, Manning’s performance was about as crisp as they come as the nation’s top passer performed the way we’ve come to expect when the bright lights are on," Petagna wrote. You can read the rest of his article here.

"Although it's important to take controlled practice settings with a grain of salt, Manning appeared to be in full control at every level as a passer on Friday."

One thing's for certain, the ceiling of this Texas class will hinge heavily on whether they can reel Manning in or not.

At 6-foot-4, 215 pounds, Manning is ranked as the No. 1 overall player in the nation.

42 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

He's telling you that not he, or anyone else, knows what the parents might do if the player is about to make what they think is a poor decision. Specifically, the mother. The grandad has made things known throughout the grapevine that Bama, in a perfect world, is the right choice. Saban would not make certain assurances, or didn't convey certainty in assurances, that he'd be around for the key final years of AM's tenure on campus. 

Anyone claiming on here or elsewhere to know what the parents are thinking knows more than coaches and recruiting people involved with the recruitment. Nice folks who are amicable with everyone, sure. Where do they want the player to wind up? They're not saying. The dad is a big fan of Dabo Swinney, but that wasn't enough to keep Clemson in the hunt.

One thing is for sure, everyone knows the player is going to make NFL money in legit NIL deals wherever he goes. That considered, the corporate scope and depth in Austin makes it the most attractive locale if all things are equal.

39 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ha. Gerry hedges and uses code a ton, but that's because he has to, just like the rest of them. He's better at it than most, of course, and he's an honest guy, so yeah, you can draw better conclusions about what he's saying than damned near anyone else, for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Apparently no one within the family is in love with Kirby Smart and they're not fully buying in on the OC sticking around. QB has been one of the only spots in which Georgia has struggled to develop NFL players during the Smart era. 

From what I see Georgia fans hate how Kirby handles the QB position.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

QB has been one of the only spots in which Georgia has struggled to develop NFL players during the Smart era. 

Jacob Eason was a top five player in the country. 

Jake Fromm was top 50.

JT Daniels was top 15. 

Justin Fields was behind only that Clemson chick. 

Georgia flubbed every one of them.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

I found Athens to be a boring, shitty little town, outside of certain Saturdays in the fall.  There’s no decent lake within 2 hours.  Half the town looks like and is peopled like any other Bible Belt dump that time forgot.   Its only saving grace besides UGa and a two block strip of bars is that it’s not too far from a major city so you can tell yourself you’re not completely isolated from real civilization.  

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know what happens if Seven Loss Steve & the 57's show up in the 2022 season and shit all over themselves again.

he reopens on 12/1, causing the Ricky Town domino from 2015 to look like nothing. funny enough Sark was involved in that one too.

Reaction GIF

full text:

Spoiler

I recently came across an interesting recruitment story. In 2015 a highly touted quarterback would flip from one blue blood program to another, that move would prompt another flip, then another and another and another. In total six quarterbacks would flip commitments from five P5 programs and one from a g5. Spanning over a year and a half this is one the most impressive recruiting domino effects I could find, so without further ado here is the entire timeline.

Ricky Town would start the entire process. Over a year and a half before the February 2nd 2015 signing day, Town commits to Alabama on August 5th 2013. He doesn't last too long there. Whether it was Bama not winning the Natty that year or the allure to stay in his hometown, USC came knocking and he flips on January 25th, 2014 to Steve Sarkisian and the Trojans.

Alabama has less than 13 months to sign a QB and being Bama, they circle in on a 5 star passer. Sticking to southern California qbs, they essentially flip Blake Barnett or Bsquared as he would later call himself, from Notre Dame. Barnett had committed to Notre Dame on November 24th, 2013 and would decommit June 4th, 2014 committing to Bama 14 days later.

Well its now summertime and Notre Dame and Brian Kelly are without a QB. They narrow in on PSU commit Brandon Wimbush from New Jersey who had just committed in May. As summer changed to fall and PSU struggled with throwing the football Wimbush started to reconsider and on October 7th, Wimbush flips to Notre Dame.

Penn State, in the midst of a 7-5 season with zero offensive identity just lost its QB of the future and signing day is but 4 months away. PSU decides to pursue Indiana 3 Star QB Tommy Stevens. Stevens had committed to Indiana June 4th, the same day Barnett decommitted from Notre Dame. A little over a month after losing their signal caller to ND, PSU steals Tommy Stevens from IU on Nov. 10th.

Indiana, having lost their QB commit decide to join the fun and flip a QB themselves. With just 3 months to go to signing day, the Hoosiers only need 5 weeks. They flip 3 star NC State QB commit Austin King on Dec. 14th. King had been committed since early June, but flipped just a 1.5 months before signing day.

NCstate now finds themselves at the bottom of this QB circus. Indiana of all teams just flipped their QB and 6 weeks to signing day have to find someone. NCstate goes down to G5 and flips Kent State commit Jakobi Meyers a low ranked 3 star from Georgia on Jan 19th.

Kent State signs 2* QB Mylik Mitchell on National signing day to give themselves a QB. Mitchell's only reported offer is from Kent State, so this is where the QB domino chain ends, with a two star Qb and Kent State.

Where Are They Now?

Ricky Town: Town would find himself at the bottom of the QB depth chart at USC behind Cody Kessler, Max Browne and another Qb brought in with him by the name of Sam Darnold. After less than a year Town transferred to Arkansas, he would transfer again to Ventura College and this off-season committed to Pitt, where he will back up starting QB Kenny Pickett for the next two seasons.

Blake Barnett: Barnett like Town at USC struggled at Bama. After winning the Qb battle against Jalen Hurts in 2016 he was pulled against USC after only a few drives. Hurts went in and never came back out, Barnett left Alabama and transferred to Palomar College. He then committed to Arizona State in April of 2017. After sitting out a year at Arizona State, Blake was not #FirmforHerm and transferred to South Florida in May. Barnett has yet to throw a pass at the collegiate level.

Brandon Wimbush: After redshirting in 2015 and sitting the bench during a disastrous 2016, Wimbush was handed the reigns of the ND offense in 2017, and results were mixed. Wimbush struggled but also led ND to a 9-3 season, but was pulled during a bowl win against LSU, watching backup Ian Book lead the team back to a victory.

Tommy Stevens: After redshirting in 2015 and losing the QB battle to Trace Mcsorley in 2016, Tommy has served has PSU's primary backup QB the past two seasons. Tommy has been utilized as a "lion" a WR/TE/RB hybrid that throws, runs and catches the football to keep him involved in the offense, but has yet to make much of an impact as a QB outside garbage time. With Mcsorley's eligibility expiring after the 2018 season, Stevens will be the starter going into 2019, his last year of eligibility.

Austin King: King never attempted a pass at Indiana and has since transferred to FCS Fordham. This past season King served as the 3rd string QB on Fordham and attempted 42 passes in 4 games.

Jakobi Meyers: Meyers changed position at NC state and now is a productive WR. After redshirting as a freshman, Meyers appeared in 9 games as RS-Freshman and became a starter as a RS-Sophomore recording over 700 yards and 5 tds this past season. Meyers is expected to have another big season for NCstate in 2018.

Mylik Mitchell: Mitchell appeared in 4 games in 2016, but had no recorded stats in 2017, and no longer appears on the Kent State roster.

So what do you guys think? Who ended up in the best position after all the dust has settled? Do you know of any other qb domino effects or other domino effects in general that changed the future of several different teams?

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I found Athens to be a boring, shitty little town, outside of certain Saturdays in the fall.  There’s no decent lake within 2 hours.  Half the town looks like and is peopled like any other Bible Belt dump that time forgot.   Its only saving grace besides UGa and a two block strip of bars is that it’s not too far from a major city so you can tell yourself you’re not completely isolated from real civilization.  

Wait, did you not go visit all of the R.E.M. Landmarks in Athens?

We're talking about Motherfucking R.  E.  M.  

20 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Wait, did you not go visit all of the R.E.M. Landmarks in Athens?

We're talking about Motherfucking R.  E.  M.  

So you are saying that the town can become a carnival of sorts? I know this is going to flow back around in a perfect circle back to Texas, but to CTJs point, if we stumble early outside of the Bama game, then it could be the end of the world as we know it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The HUDdle: Arch Madness domino falls, four-star defensive back visit news

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

The HUDdle: Arch Madness domino falls, four-star defensive back visit news

Hudson Standish

In early April I reported this following Arch Manning's unofficial visit to Alabama. "Lastly, I caught up with a source plugged in with Alabama recruiting that feels like it's a near certainty that Alabama winds up taking former Texas A&M commit Eli Holstein as their QB take this year. That's not to say that Alabama did a poor job on the visit with Manning, but word out of Tuscaloosa seems to be that Texas and Georgia are the runaway favorites for the No. 1 player in the nation."

Even though the Tide continued pushing for Manning until the very end it felt inevitable that eventually, Bama would pivot to Holstein before they got left without a place to sit in the national game of QB musical chairs. As Mike mentioned in his piece this morning, since we found out about the Holstein news we've expected Manning to cancel his Bama OV but the question now shifts to if he'll look to sub in LSU, Florida, or another school into that spot.

As I've said since early spring though, Manning's recruitment in actuality has boiled down to a Texas vs. Georgia head to head battle. Even if one of the schools on the outside receives an official visit, it would take a significant post-OV reaction sustained across weeks for me to believe this one isn't ending in Athens or Austin.

The next major question of course is the timeline for a decision from Manning. Throughout the process, the thought has been that Manning would like to decide before his senior year of high school, but as of late we've heard more chatter that he could push the commitment to the fall if the timing doesn't feel right. My personal take on the situation is that Arch and his family don't want added and unneeded pressure during the official visit process to make a decision, however their preference is to make a public verbal before the season kicks off.

One last note: I heard from a recruit in the 2023 class that Tallahassee (FL) John Paul II Catholic DB Makari Vickers plans to take an official visit to Texas on June 24th through 26th. We're still working to confirm with Vickers himself, but after the conversation I had with this recruit and a separate source I'm starting to believe more in the Horns' chances here. I can't say enough good things about Tashard Choice's recruiting impact across the board, we should have more on Vickers soon.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

So you are saying that the town can become a carnival of sorts? I know this is going to flow back around in a perfect circle back to Texas, but to CTJs point, if we stumble early outside of the Bama game, then it could be the end of the world as we know it. 

ISWYDT and I'm not sitting still for it.

Edited by cafe society

sharpcigar.png?resize=555%252C300&f=1&nofb=1
Speaking of good old Johnny Sharp, I swear I saw a news article about the city of Houston not receiving any hurricane Harvey relief money...wonder where that went?

Didn't have time to read it so I could be mistaken.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I couldn't find out much about him but I saw this:

Originally posted on FanNation All Bruins  |  By Sam Connon  |  Last updated 4/12/22

The Bruins have made their interest official in another upcoming prospect.

Class of 2023 athlete Ethan O'Connor picked up a scholarship offer from UCLA football on Monday, the recruit announced on Twitter and Instagram. The Los Alamitos High School (CA) junior plays both receiver and cornerback, but got his offer from defensive backs coach Brian Norwood.

O'Connor also has offers from Alabama, Arizona, Arizona State, Georgia, Kansas, LSU, Northern Arizona, Penn State, TCU, Texas A&M, USC and Wisconsin.

The Bruins' crosstown foes were one of the first teams in on O'Connor, offering him all the way back in January 2021. LSU was O'Connor's first offer, sending it in before his sophomore season started, but both the Tigers and Trojans have had coaching changes since initially connecting with him.

Two of O'Connor's teammates at Los Alamitos are committed to USC, though, and he is one of two additional prospects still being targeted by Lincoln Riley's staff, so the Orange County native has a high likelihood of playing his college ball in Los Angeles.

The 247Sports Composite and Rivals both have O'Connor pegged as a three-star recruit, while ESPN currently does not have him rated or ranked. O'Connor is the No. 31 player in California, the No. 33 athlete and the No. 460 overall player in his class, according to the 247Sports Composite.

O'Connor could play corner or safety for the Bruins, should that be his ultimate destination. He is one of three class of 2023 athletes UCLA's staff has offered, two of which project to be defensive backs.

Between those two and the traditional several corners and safeties who have picked up offers, the Bruins are currently in on 10 defensive backs in the upcoming cycle. While they do not have any commits at the moment, UCLA will need to add some in the coming months as the position group is slated to get thinned out even further next offseason.

Safeties Quentin Lake, Qwuantrezz Knight and DJ Warnell, plus cornerbacks Jay Shaw, Cameron Johnson and Obi Eboh left after the 2021 season. Safeties Stephan Blaylock, Mo Osling III and Kenny Churchwell, in addition to cornerback Azizi Hearn, will be leaving at the end of 2022.

Devin Kirkwood and Jaylin Davies will be around at corner come 2023, with Kamari Ramsey, Croix Stewart and Clint Stephens at safety, but the depth past those current underclassmen is thin to nonexistent.

O'Connor has a shot to join that group, but the 6-foot-2, 170-pound prospect has yet to narrow the field or schedule key dates in his decision-making process.

32 minutes ago, The Beast said:

They don’t hate that national championship though.

SIL and BIL are both UGA.  He’s really into it.  Probably contributes to a bag dropping campaign in a not insignificant, but not major way.  His opinion is that if Smart could recruit/develop QBs their trophy case would look like Bama’s.  He also thinks it’s a development problem, as they’ve generally landed their targets.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike at Night: Latest on Deal, transfer target Tucker-Dorsey

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Latest on Deal, transfer target Tucker-Dorsey

Mike Roach

— I spent some time at Garland Naaman Forest today with Markis Deal. We spoke quite a bit about his recruitment and future position. As I reported earlier in the week, Deal has been telling schools he's locked in on playing on the defensive side of the ball from what I've heard. After talking to Deal today, it sounds more like he just wants to know he will have an opportunity to start on the defensive side of the ball and try to make his way onto the field there. As for Texas, it sounds like the Longhorns won't be getting an official visit from Deal. He told me that he's been there so many times and wants to use his visits on schools he hasn't seen much of. He was at TCU last weekend and will see USC in June. Deal said he also wanted to schedule two others and keep one for the fall. Deal will make a decision in the summer and I think Texas has a little bit of ground to make up.

— I talked a little bit about Makari Vickers in The Stampede on Monday. we checked around today, and we've heard some positive things regarding the four-star safety out of Tallahassee. Vickers is expected to be on campus this summer, and it sounds like Texas has been able to continue making a strong case for itself after hosting Vickers for an unofficial visit in January.

— I checked in with a source regarding the visit of James Madison transfer linebacker Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey. His visit will wrap up tomorrow following a meeting with Steve Sarkisian. I've been told there are times during the visit where the Texas staff was given several strong indications but others times it seemed like Tucker-Dorsey was still up in the air. Texas will have a chance to close the deal tomorrow morning and add a linebacker to the roster.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Getafix said:

heard more chatter that he could push the commitment to the fall if the timing doesn't feel right. My personal take on the situation is that Arch and his family don't want added and unneeded pressure during the official visit process to make a decision, however their preference is to make a public verbal

11 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Can't continue the Jake Fromm convo without his mother.

Lee Fromm, Jake's Mom: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

The Frommster has a, ahem, hard on and an arm around his own mother? That gives new meaning to old South slogan of "Gimme Some Sugar." Only in the backwoods of the American Southeast; and a sliver down the East side of Texas.

Mom son incest taboo GIF caps - Gifs That Make Me Hard | MOTHERLESS.COM â„¢

Most cringe worthy Aggie gifs | Tiger RantBest Aggie GIFs | GfycatHick GIFs | TenorHicks GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHYTop 30 Gay Texas GIFs | Find the best GIF on GfycatRedneck GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHYBackwoods Massacre GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY109nim.jpgHicks GIF - Hicks - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 4