Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Math helps this one.  When you 345, 30 pounds of bad eight is just 8.7% of total body weight. 60 pounds of muscle is 17%. Big numbers, but not insane. 

Sydney’s sarcasm meter being broke was bad enough, but you responding seriously after it had already been made extremely obvious is just next level. Bravo, sir. 

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Funny, reading the Aggie Screenshot thread, that isn't their consensus of what Stroh showed at their camp at all. I believe, per them, he showed that he sucks. 

Sunday was Sober-Up day, so I guess today is just illiterate day?

Since all of those guys on the board were there at the camp and watched his reps, I am concerned. 

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Then by all means, show your math. 

I'm not sure I can think of an athlete at the collegiate level, at least at UT that has gained SIXTY pounds of muscle. MAYBE Brian Orakpo, and as well all know that motherfucker's transformation was startling and I can't remember seeing a second case like it, ever. I'm sure it's happened, but lets not pretend that Brian Orakpo type transformations are typical or common. Fuck, I don't even think they qualify as RARE. 

But by all means, show your work, sir. 

Tony Mandarich?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sydney’s sarcasm meter being broke was bad enough, but you responding seriously after it had already been made extremely obvious is just next level. Bravo, sir. 

In my defense it's Bevo. He's got to be a top 10, maybe top 5 "WTF Did You Just Say?" poster on this board. 

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Then by all means, show your math. 

I'm not sure I can think of an athlete at the collegiate level, at least at UT that has gained SIXTY pounds of muscle. MAYBE Brian Orakpo, and as well all know that motherfucker's transformation was startling and I can't remember seeing a second case like it, ever. I'm sure it's happened, but lets not pretend that Brian Orakpo type transformations are typical or common. Fuck, I don't even think they qualify as RARE. 

But by all means, show your work, sir. 

Growing Old Man GIF

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Agreed.  We are going to be taking big classes in any case now that it’s just an overall 85 limit without yearly caps, but the OL room in particular still needs lots of bodies when you account for what they inherited and likely attrition.  Not all 7 of the guys from last year’s big class will get to play, either, so there will be attrition there at some point, too (in addition to a couple of guys who could go pro after 3 years). 

I really see a 2023 OL of Banks, Campbell, Robertson, Conner, Williams. I don't think Majors holds off Roberton or Hutson without significant strength gains. 

Turned my phone off all day yesterday cuz I'm at the lake cabin in Maine. Thought I'd check Surly real quick before bed and ended up scrolling through news of 5 commits for about 8 pages of this thread. 

Obviously I know what I have to do. Phone will be off again all day today. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I really see a 2023 OL of Banks, Campbell, Robertson, Conner, Williams. I don't think Majors holds off Roberton or Hutson without significant strength gains. 

Goddammit Sydney. Cover your mouth, that shit is contagious. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

21 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Math helps this one.  When you 345, 30 pounds of bad eight is just 8.7% of total body weight. 60 pounds of muscle is 17%. Big numbers, but not insane. What is crazy about these numbers the original poster thinks that someone 345 pounds needs to gain 10% more body mass. 

Someone on IT did a +/- weight thing on players and there isn't much fluctuation....numbers were taken from the past 10 years

This was his results:

Biggest Gain: 65 pounds
Average gain: 8.26 pounds
Biggest loss: 32 pounds
Average loss: -6.5 pounds

Kind of shows why recruiting Big OL/DL from the rip is important.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Lol. I disagree. Angilau will start and Majors is vital to cohesion when new guys are added. Cam Williams isn't going to start this year either. Frankly, Conner is more likely to start at RT than Williams, and that's still not likely. 

I can understand the desire to get the freshman in early and develop them for the next year. This is also Bijan's final season and it would behoove us to ensure he has guys in front of him who can move and know the playbook. Majors checks both of those boxes, as does Angilau. Campbell and Banks will be upgrades, but I don't think any of the others would be until the '23 season. 

The post you quoted specifically mentions 2023.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Someone on IT did a +/- weight thing on players and there isn't much fluctuation....numbers were taken from the past 10 years

This was his results:

That would be more interesting if it was in percentages or at least broken down by position

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This was his results:

important to note this is based on REPORTED weights on the roster, right?

there is some value here, obviously, but let's not act like these are NFL combine rock solid numbers. if anything they are going to be over and understated depending on what is better or worse for the player.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They uploaded weird, start from the bottom and work up.

1651765874999.png

1651765850219.png

1651765823929.png

1651765789398.png

1651765765545.png

1651765728050.png

1651765695144.png

1651765662426.png

1651765591551.png

Seem a bit off. Says Malik was 232 went to 240.. I know he was listed at 215 as a recruit. I remember him making a pretty big transformation, despite never doing a squat. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

don't get me wrong, i love the grinders <insert Joe Wickline fan fic here about some underrated player who knows how to shake his hand> but 10/10 times i want the Devon Campbell, Kelvin Banks, Tyler Johnson, Patrick Hudson style of guy over anyone else. give me the guy with NFL measurables who could go in the top 5 of the draft.

side note, going back to like 2016 those are the only top 50 OL we have recruited so not sure what saviors you think Texas has recruited who play on the OL?

Neither Tyler Johnson nor Pat Hudson lived up to their considerable hype. The OL we've had drafted in the past dozen years have been 3 star recruits. Get a bunch of guys who have the frame and intelligence and you'll probably have enough depth to survive a season for once. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Nahlin is starting to fade Baxter.

Can never get excited about a kid that has to go back to the state of Florida. Those kids are always hard to hold on to and this one hasnt even made it back home yet. 

46 minutes ago, fellside said:

Turned my phone off all day yesterday cuz I'm at the lake cabin in Maine. Thought I'd check Surly real quick before bed and ended up scrolling through news of 5 commits for about 8 pages of this thread. 

Obviously I know what I have to do. Phone will be off again all day today. 

This is the type of sacrifice we should all be ready to make for the greater good. Thank you for your sacrifice good sir. 

45 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Center is a little different in that it is the brains of the bunch. No matter how physically gifted you are if you can't make the calls you're playing guard. When you consider that, I would bet Majors starts for at least the first part of the season. 

On the current OL class, keep in mind that it was a down year in the state for OL and because of the previous haul we were heavily negative-recruited on playing time. Given those headwinds, this is a fantastic four we got yesterday--good baseline talent and room to improve without desperately hoping they can play as freshmen. This is exactly where OL recruiting should be. Our OL floor has risen considerably and our ceiling is something beyond 2005. It helps to have a good coach or two.

• Hook 'Em 2