Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Question about DT recruiting - it looks like Sydir Mitchell is the only DT we've offered (and are in on) who is north of 270 pounds.  When I think of the PK defenses in Washington I think of 350 pounds Vita Vea types anchoring the DL.  We could lose both Coburn and Sweat after this season - are we thinking that PK is going a different direction with his line?  Just not enough fatties worth pursuing?

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Here is my point (I thought clear but I guess not). If we have 5 guys lined up ready to commit it would not be optimal to string this out until the dead period, as I would imagine every time we have a commit go public that gives our coaches a reason to call other prospects and have a purpose behind the conversation. I’d prefer all our commits publicly drop during active recruiting periods. 

The dead period started Monday. The dead period does not mean coaches and recruits cannot be in contact.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I've never heard of a Travis Galey, but apparently he works for Orangebloods.  I guess his job was to put the CB in so Ketch wouldn't be the only asshole putting in a Hill CB and they could pretend they had info on the recruitment.

Bingo

This scores about 318 in the calculator.

OFFENSE (14)

Quarterback (1)

Arch Manning Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA) 6-4 215 98.65 *****

Running Back (2)         

Cedric Baxter Jr. Edgewater (Orlando, FL) 6-1 205 94.67 ****

Tre Wisner Connally (Waco, TX) 5-11 181 89.75 ****

Wide Receiver (3)

Johntay Cook II DeSoto (DeSoto, TX) 6-0 171 95.30 ****

Ryan Niblett Aldine Eisenhower (Houston, TX) 6-0170 93.58 ****

Jonah Wilson Dekaney (Houston, TX) 6-2 200 90.17 ****

Athlete (1)

Mikal Harrison-Pilot Temple (Temple, TX) 6-0 190 91.70 ****

Tight End (2)

Will Randle Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA) 6-4 220 88.00 ***

Spencer Shannon Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) 6-7 230 87.00 ***

Offensive Line (5)

Zalance Heard Neville (Monroe, LA) 6-5.5 305 94.00 ****

Jaydon Chatman Harker Heights (Harker Heights, TX) 6-4 285 89.78 ****

Trevor Goosby Melissa (Melissa, TX) 6-6 260 88.33 ***

Connor Stroh Wakeland (Frisco, TX) 6-7 345 88.25 ***

Andre Cojoe Mansfield Timberview (Arlington, TX) 6-6 334 86.67 ***

DEFENSE (16)

Edge (4)

Derion Gullette Marlin (Marlin, TX) 6-3 225 92.13 ****

Colton Vasek Westlake (Austin, TX) 6-6 225 91.05 ****

Braylan Shelby Friendswood (Friendswood, TX) 6-5 225 91.03 ****

Billy Walton South Oak Cliff (Dallas, TX) 6-3220 86.83 ***

Defensive Line (4)

David Hicks Allen (Allen, TX) 6-4 270 97.47 *****

Markis Deal Naaman Forest (Garland, TX) 6-4 280 92.85 ****

Dylan Spencer C.E. King (Houston, TX) 6-4 241 90.20 ****

Sydir Mitchell Bergen Catholic (Oradell, NJ) 6-4.5 345 89.53 ****

Linebacker (3)

Anthony Hill Ryan (Denton, TX) 6-2 228 96.83 *****

S’Maje Burrell North Crowley (Fort Worth, TX) 6-1 215 90.42 ****

Liona Lefau Kahuku (Kahuku, HI) 6-1 211 89.28 ****

Cornerback (2)

Malik Muhammad South Oak Cliff (Dallas, TX) 5-11 169 94.42 ****

Jordan Matthews Woodlawn (Baton Rouge, LA) 6-1 175 91.97 ****

Safety (3)

Javien Toviano Martin (Arlington, TX) 6-1 185 95.50 ****

Derek Williams Westgate (New Iberia, LA) 6-3 185 95.38 ****

Jamel Johnson Seguin (Arlington, TX) 6-1 174 90.95 ****

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I've never heard of a Travis Galey, but apparently he works for Orangebloods.  I guess his job was to put the CB in so Ketch wouldn't be the only asshole putting in a Hill CB and they could pretend they had info on the recruitment.

he is a columnist at OB and has 131 followers: https://twitter.com/travisgaley

most of his posts appear to be about CWS. he makes so few forecasts that he doesn't even have a prediction profile you can click on. as far as i can tell he hasn't tweeted about the hill prediction or posted on OB about it.

image.png.9d87ea9bc70f91843368c02fa073ab90.png

so yeah, he absolutely is only putting that in there because Ketch wants a second one there.

---

edit: we follow recruiting as closely here as any texas board and this guys name has exactly ONE search result at surly and it's the comment i quoted:

image.png.49c52d006ce6667bf3dd8b153a1374b0.png

those morons at OB think they are the smartest people in every room and very, very, very clearly are not.

if you search this guys name in google + longhorns there are literally 9 results. this guy has done less work on the football recruiting trail than Ketch, which is saying something.

image.png.635a28737938cfa12731e559cc861c1c.png

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

JFC, what a piece of work that guy is

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Question about DT recruiting - it looks like Sydir Mitchell is the only DT we've offered (and are in on) who is north of 270 pounds.  When I think of the PK defenses in Washington I think of 350 pounds Vita Vea types anchoring the DL.  We could lose both Coburn and Sweat after this season - are we thinking that PK is going a different direction with his line?  Just not enough fatties worth pursuing?

go look at the shit stew we have set to play edge this year. I think incompetence in recruiting and roster management has to be the assumed reason until proven otherwise. PK’s giving me serious Todd Orlando vibes one year in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

go look at the shit stew we have set to play edge this year. I think incompetence in recruiting and roster management has to be the assumed reason until proven otherwise. PK’s giving me serious Todd Orlando vibes one year in. 

Excuse me, Sir, but I really don't need that kind of negativity in the middle of the Arch-mas season.  May the Manning spirit shine bright on you.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Murphy and Aaron Bryant are guys you can line up over the ball if you want to. And I bet we get someone this class who can be a true NT. Samu or Mitchell or someone off the radar right now.

I don’t worry about DL recruiting with Bo Davis.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Aug 30, 2021 

Told yall. Just finished my 4th rewatch of Bachelor in Paradise, time to get to work. Remember, I invented recruiting and the marshmallow brisket taco. Suck it @GHamilton_On3 

Ha. I'd forgotten about that one. I miss having more spare time to fuck around with that thing. No, @RGBIII you can't have it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

he is a columnist at OB and has 131 followers: https://twitter.com/travisgaley

most of his posts appear to be about CWS. he makes so few forecasts that he doesn't even have a prediction profile you can click on. as far as i can tell he hasn't tweeted about the hill prediction or posted on OB about it.

image.png.9d87ea9bc70f91843368c02fa073ab90.png

so yeah, he absolutely is only putting that in there because Ketch wants a second one there.

---

edit: we follow recruiting as closely here as any texas board and this guys name has exactly ONE search result at surly and it's the comment i quoted:

image.png.49c52d006ce6667bf3dd8b153a1374b0.png

those morons at OB think they are the smartest people in every room and very, very, very clearly are not.

if you search this guys name in google + longhorns there are literally 9 results. this guy has done less work on the football recruiting trail than Ketch, which is saying something.

image.png.635a28737938cfa12731e559cc861c1c.png

This is the kind of research that we've come to expect from a Tree-Fiddy subscriber.  Nice work.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The dead period started Monday. The dead period does not mean coaches and recruits cannot be in contact.

I thought the dead period meant only players could contact coaches, that coaches couldn't reach out to players.  @Huckleberrycleared that up.  Still not sure when that switched as it used to be the case coaches couldn't reach out, which was what got Kelvin Sampson in trouble, for example.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Quick primer for this fine Tuesday:

• Gerry is on his way to Florida right now
  • Cedric Baxter, RB from Edgewater is celebrating a birthday today
  • Cedric Baxter is currently on commit watch
  • Billy Walton decommitted from okie lite last night following his OV to Texas
  • Malik Muhammad is Billy Walton's Cousin
  • Muhammad has made the point that his family is a priority in his decision
  • Texas leads for Anthony Hill per errbody in what is expected to be a summer decision
  • Braylon Shelby will be deciding between Texas and USC before the end of next week, per Gerry and he's not changing his Texas pick
  • Cook is done with OVs, dropped a top 3 eliminating aggy and is expected to commit shortly, per his own comment
  • Ewers, Cook, and Wisner all got tattoos together this weekend
  • Gullette is expected to pull the trigger on a commitment soon following his final OV to Texas where he reportedly committed to the staff

O/U 5.5 before the end of next week

Cedric Baxter

Billy Walton

Malik Muhammad

Anthony Hill

Braylon Shelby

Johntay Cook

Derion Gullette

Just to be clear, Gerry lives in Florida. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

• Texas leads for Anthony Hill per errbody in what is expected to be a summer decision
  • Braylon Shelby will be deciding between Texas and USC before the end of next week, per Gerry and he's not changing his Texas pick
  • Cook is done with OVs, dropped a top 3 eliminating aggy and is expected to commit shortly, per his own comment
  • Gullette is expected to pull the trigger on a commitment soon following his final OV to Texas where he reportedly committed to the staff

Cedric Baxter

Billy Walton

Malik Muhammad

Anthony Hill

Braylon Shelby

Johntay Cook

Derion Gullette

FWIW, Gerry said he’s in Florida for some big basketball camp.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Cedric Baxter

Billy Walton

Malik Muhammad

Anthony Hill

Braylon Shelby

Johntay Cook

Derion Gullette

There has been very little mention of MHP by any 9.95'ers recently.  He was on a Cal visit last weekend but was thought to be a heavy Texas lean prior.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I've been wondering about this too and actually posted a similar question a few pages back.

There's also the dude from Finkley's HS whose name I'm forgetting right now. He looks like he could grow into DT size, although not a 330 lb monster. Plus it's pretty hard to count on pulling a dude out of Alabama even given all our momentum.

Supposedly Markis Deal wants a shot at defense and we're willing to give it to him.

I could see Spencer getting up to 270-280 and playing inside some, although again not a huge space eater like Coburn and Sweat.

We were briefly involved with Samu Taumanuwhatever who fits that mold, but doesn't seem like anything is happening there anymore and I think the consensus is that he's not a Texas-level prospect.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

There has been very little mention of MHP by any 9.95'ers recently.  He was on a Cal visit last weekend but was thought to be a heavy Texas lean prior.

One of the $9.95ers said post-Arch that we were "slowing things down" with some guys because our big board had changed. That always felt like fan fiction to me and turned out to be mostly untrue, but I guess I could see MHP fitting into that mold a little bit. No info, just speculating.