Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

There's also the dude from Finkley's HS whose name I'm forgetting right now. He looks like he could grow into DT size, although not a 330 lb monster. Plus it's pretty hard to count on pulling a dude out of Alabama even given all our momentum.

Hunter Osborne.

18 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Baxster is from Orlando FL and goes to Edgewater HS in Orlando, not in Edgewater FL. Not sure where Carson is now and if anyone can still pick him up.

Yeah Edgewater is located in College Park a suburb of Orlando. I moved to Orlando mid way through high school and their fans were known for throwing rocks at opposing teams. We did beat them to go to the state semi finals my junior year and we attempted to steal their goal post before the police shut it down.

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I actually know Travis.  Solid guy.  Lives in DC I think.   Didn’t know he worked for Ketch.  This gettin weird

well, he may be a solid guy but he is a fucking stooge for putting in the crystal ball for Hill. you should ask him why he did it.

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

One of the $9.95ers said post-Arch that we were "slowing things down" with some guys because our big board had changed. That always felt like fan fiction to me and turned out to be mostly untrue, but I guess I could see MHP fitting into that mold a little bit. No info, just speculating.

No shot we are slow-playing MHP. That dude is a top 100 player in the country.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I've been wondering about this too and actually posted a similar question a few pages back.

There's also the dude from Finkley's HS whose name I'm forgetting right now. He looks like he could grow into DT size, although not a 330 lb monster. Plus it's pretty hard to count on pulling a dude out of Alabama even given all our momentum.

Supposedly Markis Deal wants a shot at defense and we're willing to give it to him.

I could see Spencer getting up to 270-280 and playing inside some, although again not a huge space eater like Coburn and Sweat.

We were briefly involved with Samu Taumanuwhatever who fits that mold, but doesn't seem like anything is happening there anymore and I think the consensus is that he's not a Texas-level prospect.

I thought Spencer was edge, in the SDE mold (This EDGE thing is becoming annoying, so much better with SDE, WDE, and OLB. IF you needed to shorten it up, should have jus went SDE/Edge (edge for OLB/WDE)

They have a few of offers out in the 23 class. I think 4-5 300 pound kids. 

I dont think they ever got any traction on guys like Smith and Walker (OSU commit now). Mitchell is the best chance at the moment. I am not sure they are ready to take commits from guys like Samu and Elijah Davis that both have reported offers. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Noozak said:

Yeah Edgewater is located in College Park a suburb of Orlando. I moved to Orlando mid way through high school and their fans were known for throwing rocks at opposing teams. We did beat them to go to the state semi finals my junior year and we attempted to steal their goal post before the police shut it down.

I know who you are. 

5E9AE2B4-BBA8-4026-84CA-20362DD043CD.jpeg.08e98047dfecd25681039514b414ae9e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

No shot we are slow-playing MHP. That dude is a top 100 player in the country.

He's not, really. Look at who's recruiting him. (And in the composite he's actually 130)

He's got projectable traits, he's a good player, I'll be happy if we sign him, but he's not actually a top 100 player.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Sounds like he wanted to visit but that Texas moved it back.  Is he still a take?

Gerry says yes, because he fits Flood's type of being a big human, though he might be behind Heard (Gerry also said that Heard is a guy Texas can get). The OL number is likely 5 now.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Noozak said:

Off topic, but back in the early 90's there was a Datsun 240Z/260Z/280Z mechanic/dealer in Edgewater.

I bet that's long gone.  But they used to have all kinds of cool old Datsun stuff laying around and nice cars in the bays.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Question about DT recruiting - it looks like Sydir Mitchell is the only DT we've offered (and are in on) who is north of 270 pounds.  When I think of the PK defenses in Washington I think of 350 pounds Vita Vea types anchoring the DL.  We could lose both Coburn and Sweat after this season - are we thinking that PK is going a different direction with his line?  Just not enough fatties worth pursuing?

Markis deal, hunter Osborne, sydir mitchell, hicks (big maybe but putting out common names). Other than these 4 I haven't seen a ton of names come up.

15 minutes ago, Noozak said:

Alexa, Play Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This was the one Texas tried to squeeze in midweek after the MSU visit that will likely end up Alabama weekend (9/10). No public notes on why midweek didn't happen. 

I don't know why but I got the impression that Texas moved it back.  I guess it makes more sense the kid didn't want to squeeze in an OV mid-week.

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's not, really. Look at who's recruiting him. (And in the composite he's actually 130)

He's got projectable traits, he's a good player, I'll be happy if we sign him, but he's not actually a top 100 player.

Stupid Rivals is weighing down his composite ranking. They have him as the 49th best player in Texas hahaha. They have Jonah Wilson ranked ahead of him.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

If there are 2-3 more OLs that they really like and those OLs really want to come to Texas, they'd take all of them. At some point, the numbers stop making sense to a player, so these things balance out, but Texas decided during last season that they were not competitive on the OL with the current roster, so they were going to start stacking until it got ridiculous. Hence 7 OLs and a willingness to take another 7 this year if the right 7 were interested. So I won't be surprised by any number 4-7 in this cycle. 

The staff also isn't going to be concerned about a transfer running anyone off in this cycle, so I am expecting them to pursue at least 1 OL this offseason from the portal, and they'll likely lose/trap door 3-4. 

I just hope it stays consistent. Stacking numbers this year and last is great if it's the right guys, but I hope they don't get tempted to turn around next year and do something dumb like taking 2 guys. Once we rebuild the room, it should be 4-5 every year without fail, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, tokamak said:

I just hope it stays consistent. Stacking numbers this year and last is great if it's the right guys, but I hope they don't get tempted to turn around next year and do something dumb like taking 2 guys. Once we rebuild the room, it should be 4-5 every year without fail, IMO.

I think the days of making stupid decisions on the OL like only trying to take Terrell Cuney in a class are over. 

The jury is still out on a lot of things with this staff, but they are prioritizing the right areas. Signing 15 OL and DL last cycle showed me that.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Stupid Rivals is weighing down his composite ranking. They have him as the 49th best player in Texas hahaha. They have Jonah Wilson ranked ahead of him.

247 has him at a 91 and the 29th best player in Texas as well. He's picking between Texas, OU, Houston, and Cal. Low 4-star feels right.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

0DE8028A-2CBC-4DD8-9428-AD8597161984.jpeg

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but Texas isn't going to get moneywhipped by anyone going forward. If Miami is offering $4million over the course of a TB's time on campus, Texas can show that same trajectory, but actually proof of concept. Robinson from last July to the end of this month will have made near $1million in mostly corporate NIL. He probably makes that again in the next 6 months if he's healthy and putting up big numbers. 

Ruiz is one booster and is running a company trending towards collapse.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

247 has him at a 91 and the 29th best player in Texas as well. He's picking between Texas, OU, Houston, and Cal. Low 4-star feels right.

I guess I like him a little more than the ranking services do then. I see a guy who could play WR or safety at a high level in college.

My point being I don’t see us slow playing him when he’s been a priority for over a year now. If we didn’t slow play Jonah Wilson or Billy Walton, I sure hope we aren’t slow playing this guy.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

The DT issue is why the scuttlebutt around Hicks needs to become a reality. I'm not holding my breath though, and also DT's generally don't want rolls as space eaters 

Things don't look great with Hicks. They look a lot better with the standout LB, Hill. Hicks is closer to being a mercenary, and his dad wants to see him in a scheme that let's him make plays. Texas isn't interested in a pure old school bidding war and certainly can't credibly argue a scheme that let's the DL make plays.

I think the optimism on Hill is overheated. Any optimism on Hicks is flatly misplaced. 

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

There is no incentive to limit takes unless a staff is worried about cultural impact. In reality, Up or Out on the OL is the optimal approach and they're taking that. We will lose at least one and probably two OLs from the 2022 before the first kickoff in 2023. And so it goes. 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but Texas isn't going to get moneywhipped by anyone going forward. If Miami is offering $4million over the course of a TB's time on campus, Texas can show that same trajectory, but actually proof of concept.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Things don't look great with Hicks. They look a lot better with the standout LB, Hill. Hicks is closer to being a mercenary, and his dad wants to see him in a scheme that let's him make plays. Texas isn't interested in a pure old school bidding war and certainly can't credibly argue a scheme that let's the DL make plays.

Texas isn't going to get moneywhipped, but also isn't interested in an old school bidding war. I understand what you're getting at, but can you fill in between the lines on the difference in approach?

39 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I  I am not sure they are ready to take commits from guys like Samu and Elijah Davis that both have reported offers. 

I think Big Samu will eventually be worthy of an offer, but it is probably too early right now with all the momentum. Hopefully someone is keeping him warm. Dude has lost a lot of the bad weight in the last year and looks pretty unstoppable at camp. Would be a fantastic nose and a good fit for what PK used to do in Washington - if we are sticking with that.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If there are 2-3 more OLs that they really like and those OLs really want to come to Texas, they'd take all of them. At some point, the numbers stop making sense to a player, so these things balance out, but Texas decided during last season that they were not competitive on the OL with the current roster, so they were going to start stacking until it got ridiculous. Hence 7 OLs and a willingness to take another 7 this year if the right 7 were interested. So I won't be surprised by any number 4-7 in this cycle. 

The staff also isn't going to be concerned about a transfer running anyone off in this cycle, so I am expecting them to pursue at least 1 OL this offseason from the portal, and they'll likely lose/trap door 3-4. 

Perfect, this is as it should be in a healthy situation.

Every year you should take 5 (we are playing from behind here due to Herman's idiocy).  You should plan on 1 guy being special enough to crack the two deep and play (yes, even Alabama will see the occasional true freshman play some), and the other 4 guys to redshirt.

Every year you should shoot for one transfer from the portal who can up the quality of play on the line and be better than your weakest link (until you get it stacked to the point where your guys are all better than every transfer in the portal)

Every year you should run at least 1 guy off, but maybe/probably 2 or 3 least performing guys unless the class is just special.  But at least one guy for sure every year should get run from the room- so that you can set up to take 5 every year and redshirt.  That would give you something like

2/3 5th year guys

2/3 4th year guys

3-4 3rd year guys 

4-5 2nd year guys

4- redshirts

15-19 linemen on campus- 8 of them looking to redshirt or develop unless they are really special and 7-10 upperclassmen that you count on to play at a competent level at any point in time, with 1 or 2 special lower classmen to break in fresh blood, while the rest lift and eat and work on footwork and conditioning.  It's not just the 7 guys that hey might take that makes me happy, it's the idea that they are going to trap door 3 or 4.  You need to plant and cultivate but you also need to prune.  Finally. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Voluminous Banality said:

Texas isn't going to get moneywhipped, but also isn't interested in an old school bidding war. I understand what you're getting at, but can you fill in between the lines on the difference in approach?

There is a difference between a guy being a good fit who loves football, such as Baxter, that is also living below the poverty line and seeing $750+k thrown at him by the likes of ATM and Miami, and a guy and his camp being out for the highest bid and then the guy may show up and play football because he's agreed to do so.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said he isn’t expecting a commitment from Baxter today

Also said they were told this recruitment could extend into August

Whether Baxter desires a bidding war or not - sounds like this is what his might turn in to.  Florida, aggy, and Miami are all desperate for his commitment.  Desperation can lead people to do stupid things.

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I guess I like him a little more than the ranking services do then. I see a guy who could play WR or safety at a high level in college.

My point being I don’t see us slow playing him when he’s been a priority for over a year now. If we didn’t slow play Jonah Wilson or Billy Walton, I sure hope we aren’t slow playing this guy.

With the caveat that I don't know shit about fuck, I was just thinking of a possible explanation for why we haven't heard much on him lately.

I think he's a good player and a take, but I could just see him being the last man out at both WR and DB. WR would be something like Niblett, Wilson, Cook, and then stay on Greathouse and Pettaway. Then at DB it's Williams, Johnson, Matthews, Muhammad, and stay on Toviano. They might just be saying let's keep MHP warm while we hunt for some big fish for the time being.

30 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

The DT issue is why the scuttlebutt around Hicks needs to become a reality. I'm not holding my breath though, and also DT's generally don't want rolls as space eaters 

We haven't traditionally done well with guys who are being shopped for the best offer.

8 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I think Big Samu will eventually be worthy of an offer, but it is probably too early right now with all the momentum. Hopefully someone is keeping him warm. Dude has lost a lot of the bad weight in the last year and looks pretty unstoppable at camp. Would be a fantastic nose and a good fit for what PK used to do in Washington - if we are sticking with that.

That's good to know about his camp performances. He actually does look like he moves pretty well for a guy that's 380 in his game tape, but it's also just so hard to tell because he outweighs the guy across from him by like 140 pounds in most cases. I'm also not buying that he's truly 6'3", which might be an issue, but that's also hard to truly tell because he's so fucking wide lol.